• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's wrong with Digital Foundry?

Sonygaf (not all of gaf, I’m literally referring to the diehard Sony fanboys, I’m pretty sure you guys know exactly which members I’m referring to) had always had a hateboner for DF (or atleast ever since the X came out and xbox started seeing superior ports) The toxicity got so bad they chased off the only DF member we had.
its not even "boys"
they are full grown men
shameful

I wonder if Digital Foundry has had a discussion on what is wrong with Neogaf. Reacting so negatively to whatever they put out.

NXGamer

I hope NXGamer NXGamer knows what he is letting himself in for with his (relatively) new channel. Sure, they are being nice to him now, but they will eventually come for him too. The fanboy mob is like the woke mob: you may feel that you have escaped their wrath, but in reality it just isn't your turn....yet.

If you're a youtuber, maybe it's best to just nail your colours to one of the two sides, that way you limit your audience to just one set of fanboys (the other set won't bother watching). So long as you please your core audience you won't get any crazy accusations and abuse. It's the channels that try to be neutral who get it in the neck from both sides (depending on who happens to be winning the console power war at the time)

Yeah, I am fine, I get my fair share but it comes with the territory, cannot take these comments or small percentage to heart.

I do still find the Bolded funny though, I started the video analysis process, years before DF did as they still just did Silent Frame-rate videos and nothing more. I started to gain popularity due to my presentation style and analysis which they did not do at all.

After a couple of years they got into this method slowly (a tale to tell here) and, as shown here, gained the mind share with me still seemingly viewed as a Newbie that follows what they do, which is not the case at all.

You can check out my The Order 1886 analysis or the Witcher 3 among many others below and then view DF's to see what I mean.

I will stress, I have no issue with this, people can copy someone else or take inspiration from it. This is always the case for any medium or profession. This is nothing more than clarification that I was doing this style of In-depth video, technical analysis long before they, or anyone else, that I can recall were.

Last edited:

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
DF is run by Leadbetter, a known MS apologist and fan of Xbox. That can sometimes leak into their analysis. Everything is biased, so no matter what website, they are going to be secretly cheering for one side or the other.

Dibils2k

Gears 5 was definitely a big turning point for the conversation, not just because of DF tho, lots of places shilled for it, I remember journalists legit arguing it was as good looking as games got, then I played it in 4K on my PC and thought it was mostly kinda bland, like not BAD looking but most things about it weren't overly impressive, in fact, I'd have been more positive had I not read it was the best looking game ever or some fucking bs.
it is by far the best looking 60fps game on consoles though

Elaborate personal attack.
You do know its free speech right?
And i have the right to express MY opinion about him.
You want to censor me?

Isnt it the same when you get offended about me saying things about him?
Is he your friend? You know him? Personaly?

You get offended about what people call him and according to you i get offended when he likes xbox or pc more than my plastic box.
Google this and read
DEFAMATION, LIBEL AND SLANDER: WHAT ARE MY RIGHTS TO FREE EXPRESSION?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I am fine, I get my fair share but it comes with the territory, cannot take these comments or small percentage to heart.

I do still find the Bolded funny though, I started the video analysis process, years before DF did as they still just did Silent Frame-rate videos and nothing more. I started to gain popularity due to my presentation style and analysis which they did not do at all.

After a couple of years they got into this method slowly (a tale to tell here) and, as shown here, gained the mind share with me still seemingly viewed as a Newbie that follows what they do, which is not the case at all.

You can check out my The Order 1886 analysis or the Witcher 3 among many others below and then view DF's to see what I mean.

I will stress, I have no issue with this, people can copy someone else or take inspiration from it. This is always the case for any medium or profession. This is nothing more than clarification that I was doing this style of In-depth video, technical analysis long before they, or anyone else, that I can recall were.

Oh shit, I didn't know you posted here! Just wanted to say that I really enjoy your work!

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Nothing is wrong with them. Maybe they don't get it right all the time? I'm really not sure why they get hate at all really. Fun tech-focused channel with some good people running it.

Yeah, I think I remember reading one of John's comments on here where he said you were the influence for him to start doing voiceovers in his videos, though in time he went further and even included footage of himself as well as upped his video editing skills over the years.

Also, I've been meaning to give you a little feedback: in your Ghost of Tsushima technical analysis video, the intro is far too long considering what your title promises.

In this day and age of YouTube, taking around 3 minutes before you start talking is virtual seppuku.

Perhaps you have an audience that likes it that way, but from what I've seen, most videos involving someone speaking tend to start having them talk within 15s or so.

I'll name some examples that I'm thinking of: ACG, DF, GMTK, Joseph Anderson, Matthewmathosis, Noah Caldwell-Gervais.

Out of curiosity, I took a quick skim of the four videos in your post, on average you start talking after almost one minute. I personally think your intros are too long but it's your content and choice, cheers.

Edit: Don't know how to do the strikethrough so I spoilered my mistake: the GOT intro I'm talking about is around 1 minute long, not 3 minutes.

Last edited:

vkbest

The complaints that DF are Xbox biased is hilarious to me. When the PS4 and Xbox One launched loads of people thought they were PlayStation biased as the results consistently showed superior PlayStation performance.

It's just funny to see how perception online changes.

Are you sure? I remember DF saying that Battlefield 4 looked better on XBOX despite lower resolution

scalman

its not negative or possitive just dont buy game or choose game based on those terms because it doesnt matter , good game for you its good game and bad is bad no matter how technical they can be good or bad ... like it didint matter why new halo was so shite looking on presentation, it did its job , make it look just bad , noone cars if you explain why .

Chiggs

It’s a technical expertise-style show hosted by amateurs without a shred of relevant industry experience, sans Leadbetter, who is definitely the best among them. But it’s not like he was a dev or anything.

I think DF is ripe for the picking, and I hope you do that review show.

Tazzu

Thanks for dropping by, really enjoy your content. If you ever need a reason to not become a hack to satiate the mob, just look at what happened to Lens of Truth.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Are you sure? I remember DF saying that Battlefield 4 looked better on XBOX despite lower resolution

They pointed out the Betas sharpening filter not being particularly good.
The 720p image being less than stellar
The AA solution not being enough
Literally called the XB1 version a muggy mire image quality wise.

On the performance front they were very clear which was the better option
For every other sequence, we see a consistent delta of 10fps in the PS4's favour; from the docking of a rainy, battle-torn Singaporean beach to the ripping in half of an airship carrier. At its peak, the PS4 takes up to a 16fps lead also, leaving the Xbox One stuttering along in the face of alpha effects during the Baku mission's towering explosions. Let there be no doubt that the PS4 has a huge advantage in frame-rate and overall smoothness of control, then - just one which doesn't satisfactorily translate to the multiplayer side.

They never outright say something is rubbish, but if they were GAF posters they would have called the Xb1 version utter dogshit trash not worthy of being played, but sensible people to talk like that.

NXGamer

Yeah, I think I remember reading one of John's comments on here where he said you were the influence for him to start doing voiceovers in his videos, though in time he went further and even included footage of himself as well as upped his video editing skills over the years.

Also, I've been meaning to give you a little feedback: in your Ghost of Tsushima technical analysis video, the intro is far too long considering what your title promises.

In this day and age of YouTube, taking around 3 minutes before you start talking is virtual seppuku.

Perhaps you have an audience that likes it that way, but from what I've seen, most videos involving someone speaking tend to start having them talk within 15s or so.

I'll name some examples that I'm thinking of: ACG, DF, GMTK, Joseph Anderson, Matthewmathosis, Noah Caldwell-Gervais.

Out of curiosity, I took a quick skim of the four videos in your post, on average you start talking after almost one minute. I personally think your intros are too long but it's your content and choice, cheers.
Hey thanks for the feedback, always good.

Do want to point out, I am Aware of this and I mostly start my videos within seconds now and at most 30 if a big Intro. Pretty sure I have no 3 min videos and I even dropped my flame intro and logo opening for that reason also to shorten the view time to content which I keep as short as possible.

I honestly don't see the bias as much as people on here does. Only with Alex a little bit but people expect DF to bash companies as harshly as fans and customers do. I think they try to be as professional as possible.

McCheese

Microsoft bends over backwards to give them exclusive hands on time, and it's become increasingly obvious this is resulting in them giving Microsoft titles greater benefit of the doubt, or glossing over things that they wouldn't on other platforms because they don't want the MS gravy train to screech to a halt.

John is decent but man, the guy in charge shilling that Halo was just a feed quality issue and it looks great in the native 4K source was pure bullshit, then following it up with that lengthy "the time of day is to blame" and glossing over the pop-up and crappy art direction.

DF Retro is the only untarnished part of DFs reputation

Hey thanks for the feedback, always good.

Do want to point out, I am Aware of this and I mostly start my videos within seconds now and at most 30 if a big Intro. Pretty sure I have no 3 min videos and I even dropped my flame intro and logo opening for that reason also to shorten the view time to content which I keep as short as possible.
Okay, I had a little voice nagging in my head after posting; your GOT intro was also around 1 minute long, it's just that the technical talk started much later, around 9 minutes in.

My apologies for the mixup (caused by myself), I'll go back and correct my post with an edit.

Also I just skimmed your latest few videos (Grounded and a few more GOT ones) and yeah, you start talking within 2-3s, it's like you swung to the other extreme hah.

All the best with your channel, cheers.

The trailer analysis' are always short and only cover 1 or 2 topics. Anyone who was expecting them to talk about every graphical element was delusional since their last 50 trailer tech vids are short and only cover 1 or 2 elements. I seriously don't understand how people don't get this. Are you so filled with hate and anger about console manufacturers it makes you blind and stupid? Can anyone point out any objective bias or is it all just your own subjective bullshit?

Lethal01

why are smaller youtubers pointing out more problems than the TOP TIER PEOPLE? DF gets these critiques BECAUSE they're considered the best.

Because the video in question was specifically tackling one issue in depth rather than just quickly mentioning 20 different issues, They were specifically answering why it would be described as looking "flat" and the lighting is the biggest contributor to that comment, even bigger than the environment being static. even ps2 games can pop more with better lighiting, even if the lighting is static.

Last edited:

Reindeer

This video exposed the 'bias' of DF mostly for me. Especially when he compares it with Gears 3. And the bias seems to be consistency in anlaysing.

And I think this is journalism's problem, more so than anything else. No professional completely shits on a corporate these days.

In the age of 'free review copies', Youtubers can be seen as marketing tool.

Lol, half of that video he doesn't even address what DF said, rather he jumps to something else DF didn't talk about to use that against them. No wonder this guy only got 7K subscribers, most of them are probably hardcore PS diehards that enjoy trashy (pun intended) videos like that, lol. This guy is a hardcore PS fanboy so obviously he expects DF and everyone else to be extremely critical of anything Microsoft. He sure ain't gonna make a video about DF going soft on Sony and Nintendo games in their analysis lol, what a joke.

Last edited by a moderator:

freefornow

Gold Member
DF is run by Leadbetter, a known MS apologist and fan of Xbox.
Richard be
NextUnconsciousArctichare-small.gif

Hostile_18

Banned
If one console runs software better most of the time that's not really bias is it. Fact is at the end of the day the XB One X is the most powerful console on the market so most of the time this gen it has been the "winner".

I don't know how anyone can be upset when the tech specs are there as clear as day (theres no SSD architecture ambiguity). At the start of the gen the opposite was true the PS4 had the advantage over the original X Box one. People just need to chill 😉

Last edited:
I actually likes them and they do what they do professionally that even derives devs artists attention and not just the community , others can't compete at their level and that's just a fact.

Hawk269

In the most simple way to explain it is this way:

1.) If DF praises a Xbox/MS related game and/or states it is better than the same game on the Playstation = DF is BIAS and EVIL and M$ has paid them off.

2.) If DF praises a Playstation game and says that it is great = DF is the greatest team of analysis that has ever existed and they only speak the truth, further cementing the fact that no matter what if a game is on PS it is better by default.

/s

Azurro

Banned
Sonygaf (not all of gaf, I’m literally referring to the diehard Sony fanboys, I’m pretty sure you guys know exactly which members I’m referring to) had always had a hateboner for DF (or atleast ever since the X came out and xbox started seeing superior ports) The toxicity got so bad they chased off the only DF member we had.

I don't think you have the full picture here, DF has had somewhat of a slant for MS ever since the Xbox 360/PS3 times. Not that there's something wrong with it, you just take it into account when, for example, Richard is doing a video, you know it will have a bit of a slant favouring MS but he's usually professional. D dark10x 's videos are excellent, especially the retro videos, I always enjoy them every time he releases one.

The problem is mostly Alex, to be honest, as he's rather fanboyish at times. Where it was rather blatant was in his latest Halo video, where he spent like 20 minutes talking about global illumination and how everything would look so much better if the sun was moved 20 degrees and how ray tracing will fix things, when it was evident that lighting was barely one of the myriad of problems the game's graphics had.

thelastword

Banned

"How 'bout these airvents then? They're botth very detailed"

Keep in mind that at the start of the video the guy says they're playing Forza on a PC at max settings, whereas GT is on the PS4 pro.

Are you kidding? Look at them. It's like a generational difference. Who needs higher resolution when the results are like this? And, is this guy trying to tell us that occlusion mapping is the reason GT looks way better? This is the guy who said Halo is some better lighting away from looking as good as we all expected, isn't it?

5:59 - come on.
6:05ish - he specifically makes a point that the GT car is 'less powerful' in a tech analysis. Are we kidding? Let's ignore that the porsche has visible yellow break discs whereas the Forza one doesn't? Is that because the more powerful car doesn't need break discs? Maybe, I dunno~
6:20ish - "The interior is similar... equally well modelled" he says as one car has a stereo and the other doesn't.
6.33 - "GT does have the edge in terms of ___(heaps of stuff but since they made fewer cars than Forza it's explained. Is that seriously meant to be a technically savvy analysis?
7:00ish - "[Forza has heaps of great tracks with an HD texture pack for oneX and PC users - PS4 has less tracks but they're all gorgeous]"
7:15ish - "When placed side by side it's clear that both games offer a high level of detail" Come on, you look at that video comparison footage while he says this and tell me GT doesn't look a century better.
7:20ish (next point) - "[GT looks great... Forza takes risks which explains why it looks worse]"

I can't go through the whole video doing these captions, I've taken these few notes to get my point across. At least concede that I am standing on reasonably solid ground in saying that the guy was kind of stretching for reasons to say Forza is on the same level as GT in terms of visual quality.

EDIT: from memory, in other parts he talks about how GT has background detail and better draw distance, but he says Forza hides that with less open views in its tracks... he doesn't imply that this is a downside. Later, he talks about how Forza's crap trees (two flat 2D images arranged at 90 deg around a Z-axis) are "Less distracting" thanks to fewer artifacts. Is he actually making a parody video? Much later: "Crashes have much more visceral impact in Forza" he says as the car remains entirely unscathed by a front-on collision.

Later edit: i think the game review industry at large has a vested interest in keeping both sides of the console war seemingly viable - to maximise fanbase access.. i think this guy is like a leading exponent of this kind of doublespeak

Even though he gave GT the edge. During the entire video it appeared that he was trying to apologize for the lesser tech in Forza. He was trying hard to equate PRO's for Forza against GT, and trying his hardest not to praise GT too much...

You look at these two games and it's immediately clear which looks better and has there better technology, even though he unfairly compares the PC version at max to PS4. It's just sad the lengths they go to because GT still wins, by a country mile.....I played Forza 7 maxed on PC and it does not handle a candle to GT visually...
So you are trying to instigate the mods to ban people for having a opinion?

Maybe you thought you were at era?
It's what I've seen from quite a few posters here these days. There's a meta game going on within the forums. People don't want to argue their cases, they just want to report everybody who disagrees with them and call them fanboys. So it's report them, get them banned, so I won't have to hear any dissenting opinion. Funny enough, these posters are never satisfied with staying in Kumbaya, Platform specific threads where they can fellate each other, but rather enter threads where there is discourse and want to immediately curtail opinions not aligned with theirs...

It's the same issue guys like Alex and John have. They critique dev's work, especially Sony devs, who are under the microscope a bit more, but they don't want any critique from persons who consume their work, especially when their work gets interjected with so many opinions and too many instances where they don't corroborate their takes........."I say Ryse is a solid 30fps", when the very moment I said it, the game fell into the teens......OK, but it's not solid 30fps though......"I'm DF, shut it, it's what I said, forget what you saw in my own video, I'm the authority, believe whatever I say"......Hey, I'm a big contributor in this industry, get this guy banned who does not agree with me....What a world...
Gears 5 was definitely a big turning point for the conversation, not just because of DF tho, lots of places shilled for it, I remember journalists legit arguing it was as good looking as games got, then I played it in 4K on my PC and thought it was mostly kinda bland, like not BAD looking but most things about it weren't overly impressive, in fact, I'd have been more positive had I not read it was the best looking game ever or some fucking bs.
Gears 5 is not even top 50 best looking games this gen. The inconsistent texture work at all levels, unconvincing looking materials, dark environments that occludes details, lots of low poly assets. I play this and then I play LOU2 and it's a generation apart, same with GOW, Horizon, Tsuhima, Days Gone, UC4 and pretty much all Sony games and it's really not about having any bias. The game was devoid of basic ATD details.....People think this looks great and I played it at ultra with max textures and textures look awful all over the place with low ATD. How is this any pinnacle of graphics......When I heard John swooning over this game I was taken aback. I played this on a 4k 27 inch monitor that's HDR compatible, which I disabled because I felt it looked worse with HDR on.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
LOL.

"MS is shilling doing hands on with Series X"

Who's fault is it that PS5 wasn't shown to gamers until June? And even right now, no hands on test yet by any site. And it's already August. Only Geoff Keighley has had a controller hands on. I think that's it.

tillbot8

Banned
I am a Sony exclusive gamer and I was kinda oblivious to any bias? Guess I wasn't paying attention or searching for it? I like them, a lot more professional then some of the garbage that's out there!

Saaleh

Banned
DF are awesome. No one should expect them to be fully honest in these moments, we all want them to have a good relationship with Sony and MS. No one would blame them if they didn't make a video of halo. But they allowed alex to make one so they should bare the consequences and just let people go nuts on alex so that he learn the lesson, if you can't be fully honest just stay quite.

keep in mind that in-engine trailer of forza. Keep in mind the 2 year hype train of the seriesX (i.e. the most powerful console eveeer and how their studios will take FULL advantage of the NEXT GEN console), keep in mind phil mocking Sony's show just to hype his own conference,

Imagine if there was no ray tracing on the next showcase of Forza. Imagine if there were pop in/out throughout the whole playthrough, imagine if textures, models, AI, animation, effects..etc all looked like an early PS3 forza game.

Then imagine Alex making a video saying that the issue is mainly with ray tracing. As if that will fix all this mess.

If Alex proved to us that adding ray tracing will make the game look really close to that 2018 in engine trailer than i would accept his lame analysis.

Then microsoft start their damage control, then they announce that forza is running in 120fps in its multiplayer as if that is a good thing with what they hyped/showed.

I don't care if Alex is used to PC gaming with high frames. It is not a valid excuse for all this failure, making his video all about ray tracing just shows that he don't care about the full context. In GT7 Alex only had one video to work with, so alex compared it with all previous GT games, he went deep and zoomed in a lot to try to find every small mistake from GT7. He didn't do that with halo, so if forza looked like a ps2 game all we expect from him is to blame the ray tracing for 30 minutes and then end his video of a 1 minute comparison. His video was as lame as that halo gameplay show.

Last edited:

Tschumi

On the contrary, I think digital foundry was very lenient on this comparison, carefully muffing out gts shortcomings and focusing on its strong points
Everyone who has both games knows this
forza-7-gts.jpg
That screenshot.. are you joking? GT clearly looks better there. Ah well, subjective i guess. But if you are joking, funny clap clap!

If you look through my post you quoted you see they have fabricated problems with GT on numerous occasions - saying its superior tree models served only to increase the number of glitches - i could trawl through the video to find every instance but i think it would be so easy for you to say "nope" that i feel i should not bother, and rather just rest on everything I've said.

The whole point of my op on this thread was to say that i still watch Digital Foundry videos, and enjoy them a lot. They just occasionally have a video or two - usually ones narrated by this German guy - where they try to manufacture a parity between PS and xBox that is not clearly evidenced by the footage.

Last edited by a moderator:
it is by far the best looking 60fps game on consoles though

I mean, I'd argue the new Call of Duty is better looking but then I mostly game on PC, it's where I played Gears 5 and... well... I don't play anything on PC that runs lower than 60FPS. The Witcher 3 is 60FPS at least for me, for instance and holy God does it look better than something like Gears 5. I dunno, I never got the distinction "it looks amazing since it does 60" when I go play an exclusive game on PS4 Pro like God of War or HZD I just think they look amazing, that they aren't 60FPS, to me just means they don't have PC ports (yet). I'm hoping this next-gen aiming for 60FPS becomes more feasible but honestly the only time I had trouble switching from PC to Console gaming was Destiny 2, I'm not sure if it was the direct comparison with that one since I play on both or if it's because it really does have awful input lag and your chars literally can't move as fast. Like if God of War got a PC port would I now be unable to enjoy it on PS4 Pro despite getting platinum in it without being bothered by the framerate? Maybe.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I love Digital Foundry, it is one of the few video game related productions worth a watch. It saddens me to see that fanboys are now trying to cancel DF just because the objective analysis doesn't match their agenda.

Ok, confession time: which of you guys is Tominator on Twitter?

hymn0DJ.png

483XrN7.png

xIuH6YD.png

WwztrAA.png

Fanboys like Tominator are pathetic.

Zoom in 800% on a game from the PS show to show flaws writes off Halo Infinite looking like shit because of the time of day in the game.

What? Your example is hyperbolic, and Halo Infinite was actually trashed by DF.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

It's really simple.this forum is full of Sony fanboys. Digital foundry are fine.

Again the thread with the poll about "who is the more consumer friendly company between Microsoft and Sony"
Said it all to me.

Sony won it. Despite not having full backward compatibility even on the ps5, not having a gamepass like service( which gives players a choice),not allowing cross generation play( whether you like it or not is a pro consumer move) and not announcing a smart delivery like service.

Nope Sony is better because THERE MY FAvOUrite.

That point was not open to debate but Sony still won because" PLAystation is my favourite"

You know it's actually OK to admit your favourite company could be better?it's actually important to give them
Feedback?

I feel even Nintendo fans are better at this. They have blind love but nobody will tell you their online is amazing and their treatment of legacy content is in anyway good.

Which means yes... I think Sony fanboys are the most annoying in the industry and frankly always have been.

Top Bottom