• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is with the Switch 2 rumors and the button color layout?

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Many youtubers are reporting that 1st and 3rd party games are releasing with in game button overlays the color of the European SNES layout. IS this bullshit or has anyone heard more about this?

Here is one video but there are numerous youtubers posting this

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
giphy.gif

Banjo64

cumsessed
Just photoshops but maybe because

Switch = NES and they think Switch 2 = SNES in their minds? New 3DS had this colour scheme also.

Personally I think Nintendo are going to do something unexpected with their next console. I’ve seen the patents for the dual screen etc and yeah, I’d be surprised if it’s just a more powerful Switch.

Tams

Cool.

But my Switch Pro Controller already had those glorious European SNES ABXY buttons, an Emerald translucent faceplate, and black grippy grips.

Hopefully the Switch 2 will launch with button remapping. My brain is not going back to the Nintendo layout ever again.
EVER AGAIN.

Ev1L AuRoN

I'm hoping Nintendo keeps the form factor but with an 8'' screen with minimum bezels and compatible with the old joycons, and please work on a better joycon analog, something like the PSVR2 sticks would be amazing.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Whatever they do with the button colours, if the system uses Joycons and they're the same size as the current ones, I'll be replacing them immediately for larger ones. I spent too long trying to not hate the Switch Joycons, Hori's larger versions made it usable.

It's fun to guess things, I guess. 🤷‍♂️

The color-coding thing doesn't really make a lot of sense, since the games with the color-coding are Switch games. And I very much doubt Nintendo's implementing a rule with late-gen Switch games that face buttons in the game UI have to match the corresponding colors for a different system. That just seems off, and not something that Nintendo would be likely to do.

Many youtubers are reporting that 1st and 3rd party games are releasing with in game button overlays the color of the European SNES layout. IS this bullshit or has anyone heard more about this?

Ooof... Sourcing "a lot of Youtubers" as your source. I'd rather wait for credible rumors from known leakers with a semi-decent track record.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M

I didn't understand your question. Do you wanna know if the colored button on games are real? Because they are, super Mario rpg remake previews confirmed.

Do you wanna know what colored buttons has to do with switch successor? Well, you can blame the GameXplain channel for that. They started that speculation, and all the other YouTubers followed suit. We had a thread for it actually, didn't we?

I didn't understand your question. Do you wanna know if the colored button on games are real? Because they are, super Mario rpg remake previews confirmed.

Do you wanna know what colored buttons has to do with switch successor? Well, you can blame the GameXplain channel for that. They started that speculation, and all the other YouTubers followed suit. We had a thread for it actually, didn't we?

A tad harsh, but I can’t deny you are basically spot on.

A fairly obvious observation made and put into a GameXplain video, that other Youtubers picked up, thinking it was an actual rumor, that’s now getting turned into a thread on neogaf, yeah it’s a bit ridiculous.

GameXplain actually made pretty clear in their video that it was just a theory that the guy that made the video just thought was interesting, and he just had this idea that maybe Nintendo might be planning this color-coded thing. There’s a lot of holes in that theory but anything is possible, since we don’t know anything about the successor at all, essentially. Not officially, anyway.

Last edited:

blacktout

The video talks about the Switch version of Kuro no Keseki (Trails into Daybreak) and Fashion Dreamer having the same colored buttons. That's 4 late Switch games all having SNES button colors at the same time.

Yep, heard about this later today after I made that post. Should have watched the video, I guess.

This does make it seem less like a weird coincidence or quirky internal Nintendo thing and more like it might actually be the button design of the Switch successor. If so, the fact that it's showing up in standard Switch games bodes well for backwards compatibility.

Top Bottom