• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Switch accessory manufacturer, Mopad, shared alleged Switch 2 info on their Bilibili page: Physical BC, 1080p screen, new buttons on JoyCons

IAmRei

Joycons again? They're the worst controllers ever made! I've never had a controller break so much in my life. Even the cheap N64 stick lasted longer.
i never had issue with joycon. that's also applied my friends, i have 6 friends which owned switch nearly at the same time with me, about 2020, and never once we have trouble with joycon.
in the contrary, one of my friend broke his charger. once.

It looks like Mobapad are real ballsy as they put at EN article with all the details they posted on their Bilibili page directly on their website lol.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
It looks like Mobapad are real ballsy as they put at EN article with all the details they posted on their Bilibili page directly on their website lol.

Bad placement for the brightness sensor, if you have the sun directly behind you on the screen the sensor won't be accurate

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Hmmmm, good news so far. 8" screen at 1080p is a big win, as long as there is an oled model. Bigger joycons means there is hope, I just hope they change the crappy joysticks too. Still having a dock is no surprise, don't want to rock the boat. It supporting 4k means they are likely to support at least some games at 1440p or 4k, likely upscale via dlss.

So the only real question left is just how powerfull or weak the console is.
Will a steam deck level (or less) machine really cut it in 2024? Will it leave the door open for a machine 2 or 3 times as powerull from Sony or ms to steal marketshare? I think that's the risk if the switch is just switch 1.5.

I mean if graphics "don't matter", how do you get current casual switch owners to buy the new machine? If they do matter, being weakest on the block by a wide margin might be a big issue. I know us hardcores will buy both. But beyond that could be interesting.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Good news so far. Unlikely to match current gen consoles but should be pretty close enough, considering you can easily play current gen high end games on portable PC nowadays

Hmmmm, good news so far. 8" screen at 1080p is a big win, as long as there is an oled model. Bigger joycons means there is hope, I just hope they change the crappy joysticks too. Still having a dock is no surprise, don't want to rock the boat. It supporting 4k means they are likely to support at least some games at 1440p or 4k, likely upscale via dlss.

Will a steam deck level (or less) machine really cut it in 2024? Will it leave the door open for a machine 2 or 3 times as powerull from Sony or ms to steal marketshare? I think that's the risk if the switch is just switch 1.5.

I mean if graphics "don't matter", how do you get current casual switch owners to buy the new machine? If they do matter, being weakest on the block by a wide margin might be a big issue. I know us hardcores will buy both. But beyond that could be interesting.
It's definitely a sort of catch 22. It is why I expect the Switch 2 simply to perform worse than Switch almost regardless of what they do. I think it will do well, don't get me wrong, but it's certainly a challenging place to be IMO.

bender

What time is it?
It's definitely a sort of catch 22. It is why I expect the Switch 2 simply to perform worse than Switch almost regardless of what they do. I think it will do well, don't get me wrong, but it's certainly a challenging place to be IMO.

It would be hard to replicate the success of the Switch but I don't think it will have much to do with competition. The Steam Deck is probably the most successful modern non-Nintendo handheld and its' lifetime sales are likely well under 10 million units. I know Phil Spencer has been hinting at a portable Xbox but that's not going to gain significant traction outside of the US if at all.

I can see it now: when they announce an OLED Switch 2, BC will be removed.

Doubtful. There is just too much money to be made in selling the Switch's back catalogue.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
i never had issue with joycon. that's also applied my friends, i have 6 friends which owned switch nearly at the same time with me, about 2020, and never once we have trouble with joycon.
You my friend are lucky. I have never had issues with any controller in the past. We have replaced Joy-Cons three times and had to send the Switch Lite in for repair two times. Well.. ..1x because we have not bothered to send it the second time. The stick drift issue is real and well documented. If they have not upgraded the analog sticks I will probably skip the console/hybrid. That is the one issue I refuse to go through another generation with.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
It would be hard to replicate the success of the Switch but I don't think it will have much to do with competition. The Steam Deck is probably the most successful modern non-Nintendo handheld and its' lifetime sales are likely well under 10 million units. I know Phil Spencer has been hinting at a portable Xbox but that's not going to gain significant traction outside of the US if at all.

Doubtful. There is just too much money to be made in selling the Switch's back catalogue.

The thing about steam deck is that it's not really a competitor at all to the switch, so it's a really poor test of what would happen if Sony or Ms stepped in.

- Steam deck had basically zero mainstream marketing
- Steam deck has zero AAA exclusives
- Steam deck has very little brand recognition
- Zero retail store presence, direct only sales
- Os that is not full console friendly (yes it's gotten better but still some things don't run or glitch)

ArtHands

Don’t see the sense to bring up Steam Deck here, when Valve has next to no retail experiences and infrastructure in terms of selling hardware everywhere like consoles. They have already said their aim is to push the portable PC segment rather than to sell as many units as possible (though that will be a bonus).

it is sold in limited availability (require a Steam account, only in selected territories, not in most physical/online retail stores like Amazon etc) and is meant to promote the portable PC segment.

Last edited:

Calverz

Basically everyone I know personally has had some issue with joycons. Mostly stick drift but other nonsense too.

I don’t hate them. Good idea but quality is pretty shocking.

I would love if Nintendo adds switch games to it's online subscription service on switch 2.

Not expecting 1st party games but there are thousands of switch games they could put on a game pass like service. Lots of money being left on table.

IAmRei

You my friend are lucky. I have never had issues with any controller in the past. We have replaced Joy-Cons three times and had to send the Switch Lite in for repair two times. Well.. ..1x because we have not bothered to send it the second time. The stick drift issue is real and well documented. If they have not upgraded the analog sticks I will probably skip the console/hybrid. That is the one issue I refuse to go through another generation with.

Basically everyone I know personally has had some issue with joycons. Mostly stick drift but other nonsense too.

I don’t hate them. Good idea but quality is pretty shocking.
yeah, i thinnk they will need to up the quality for the next,

Von Hugh

4K output

dave chappelle tyrone biggums GIF

Rendered internally at 720p, upscaled to 4k

200.gif

demigod

Physical BC and OLED is really all I need to day one this thing

OLED, lol keep dreaming fellas. That will be in a revision. DLSS alone will make it trounce the steam deck.

ArtHands

If they did this right they will retain the console market leader with this successor

Shodai

I wonder if a "Pro" dock is feasible. Regular dock uses DLSS to up to 1440p max, pro to 4k or something along those lines.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
I wonder if the OG Switch games will get a performance bump by simply using them in Switch 2 hardware? That would be incredible. Is that wishful thinking or plausible? Plug
in the cartridge and it just runs better?!

Also,you won't believe how good and how well the games play at 4k/60fps like Super Mario Odyssey or Z: BOTW, TOTK, etc. I was able to get them running on my computer via emulator sourcing
my owned games and it's a night and day difference. I suspect a TON of people will be replaying BOTW once they witness that in 4k/60fps. It's that damn impressive!

Hoping the OLED version is offered at launch as a "deluxe" model. $399 Switch 2 "LCD" and $499 Switch 2 "OLED"

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member

Right?!?

Outside of attention grabbing why would a company do this (I mean…it worked I picked up one of their controllers yesterday)?

Seems like a great way to get dumped as a hardware vendor.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Hope the joycons are bigger this time around, for somebody with big hands its a pain to use them while attached towards the screen. I do like seperate controllers for hands so there is that.

Hudo

But now everyone has heard of them. It's a pretty ballsy marketing move, if anything.

RaySoft

Electromagnet? So do they fall off when the console is off or is there some serious vampire power drain on the battery?
The electromagnet is only used when you slide them on until it's locked in place. When locked the electromagnet is turned off obviously. It's just there to guide it easier into place.

BlackTron

It's highly anecdotal. I have some friends with good joycons and others with drift. My 2017 Switch's left joycon didn't drift until last year, but I didn't put it through that much abuse either. I'm like 80% pro controller. There's definitely a problem out there. It feels like you should expect them to go bad, like N64 sticks. Unfortunately they are much more tricky to take apart to prevent it than the 64.

Top Bottom