• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Vandal] New details about the next Nintendo console - Bigger than the Switch, but smaller than the Steam Deck; Joycons will be magnetic

Key points via --R on era:
  • Accessory manufacturers have been able to touch the console but not see it (i.e. the console was inside of a black box, so they could touch it but not see how it actually looks)
  • Every manufacturer agrees the console won't release this year and will release Early 2025.
  • A bit bigger than the current Switch models but nowhere close to the Steam Deck's size.
  • Joy-cons will change their attachment system from rails to a magnetic system, and the current ones won't be forwards compatible.
  • The current Pro Controller will work on Switch 2.

• Hardware is ready, but held back until software is ready (likely 3D Mario launch/launch window title)
  • Return of universally hated joycons, with new connection gimmick
  • Nintendo denying manufacturing partners visual access out of leak paranoia

Weird enough that it tracks on all fronts, I have 100% confidence in this report.

Doczu

Key points via --R on era:
  • Accessory manufacturers have been able to touch the console but not see it (i.e. the console was inside of a black box, so they could touch it but not see how it actually looks)
  • 200.gif

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Magnetic? I trust magnets to snap shut the cover of my ebook reader, but strong enough to not drop the main unit while still allowing for easy attach and detach? No idea how that is supposed to work.
Exactly.. this is clearly bullshit

Kataploom

Gold Member
You could be right. I just don't hear its terrible ergonomics talked about enough. I have no idea why that monstrosity got a pass whenever it's brought up. To me, that thing is N64 level controller bad. A true embarrassment coming out of Japan.
Ok, Switch is very uncomfortable to hold (except for the Lite), but N64 is GOAT, stop it there!

Moochi

Short of neodymium magnets, which would mangle kid fingers, magnets can't be used to hold controllers in place without a somw physical locking mechanism. My guess is some form of peg and slot set up, with magnets used to prevent a lateral pulling motion only. This is actually really smart because it allows for total elimination of the thick bezel necessary for slide-in lock joycons.

Sethbacca

Short of neodymium magnets, which would mangle kid fingers, magnets can't be used to hold controllers in place without a somw physical locking mechanism. My guess is some form of peg and slot set up, with magnets used to prevent a lateral pulling motion only. This is actually really smart because it allows for total elimination of the thick bezel necessary for slide-in lock joycons.
Pretty sure this is the same setup the Lenovo Legion Go has. Haven't touched one myself, but that's what it looked like in the reviews at least.

BouncyFrag

Switch joy-cons are a complete pain to deal with if you ever put them on backwards on those small black pieces, so this is likely good news imo.

Not sure how that bodes for them using Hall Effect analog sticks tho. Those are magnetic-based too.
Joycons without drifting is important. Hell, my psvita vita sticks are still fine.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Probably some game that uses the magnets as gameplay. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
The console isn't just "snapped" to the joycons but the joycons gravitate around them, so you can move them around and the console body will be "floating in the air", now you'll have proper motion control on the go :messenger_sunglasses:

Top Bottom