• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo patent suggests Switch 2 may solve joycon drift

A patent filed by Nintendo suggests that they’re working on Hall Effect style joysticks for the Switch 2 that would eliminate stick drift almost entirely.

Years after the release of the Nintendo Switch, more rumors of a successor to the popular handheld came to light on September 7, 2023.

On that same day, Nintendo received a series of patents in the US detailing various aspects of the new console, and one in particular stands out the most.

In one filing, Nintendo’s patent details a joystick that uses a magnetic field to send its movement through the controller, which is almost definitely a hall effect joystick.

GulikitJoyconSticks.jpg

Hall Effect joysticks prevent Switch 2 Joycon drift​

In one of the various patents from Nintendo on September 7, 2023, it goes over a joystick that uses a magnetic field.

Compared to normal potentiometer joysticks like we see in the original Switch that use physical electric contacts to send a signal through the board, Hall effect joysticks use a magnetic field that lacks the ability to physically wear down.

In the listing, they describe a joystick that sends a signal to the console based on how strong the magnetic pull is from the closest sensor.

By far the biggest issue with the joycons on the original Nintendo Switch is that they were quite prone to experience issues with drift, making your character in the latest hit game walk on its own.

It became such an issue that Nintendo even began offering free repair for the controllers. One of the more permanent ways to fix the issue is to swap the joycons over to hall effect magnetic joysticks in the Switch 2.

We’ll, of course, have to wait to see how Nintendo is implementing the magnetic joystick as it could be a standalone set of joycons for the existing Switch, an upgrade to the Switch Pro controller, or even what’s going to be used in the upcoming Switch 2.

Can't say I've ever had drifting and I've had a Switch since launch. Are people being too aggressive with their sticks? Only controllers I've had drift are PS4 and Xbox One.

If true then it's good they are going with higher quality components.

Hudo

Are people being too aggressive with their sticks?
I have a friend who works as a industrial designer for consumer electronics. And he said that I wouldn't believe what people do with their devices. I was curious and asked about it...

Let's say that people being aggressive and/or exerting too much force when handling their electronics is the least weird thing.

Banjo64

cumsessed
MS/ Sony will be forced to jump in if true.
I’m not sure. IMO, this is clearly a reaction to the lawsuits and being forced to offer free lifetime stick repairs in the EU (and US I think?)

I don’t know if Sony/MS have had the same issues.

I’m not sure. IMO, this is clearly a reaction to the lawsuits and being forced to offer free lifetime stick repairs in the EU (and US I think?)

I don’t know if Sony/MS have had the same issues.

Whoever won't do this will be raked on coals i am assuming.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
That’d be very surprising to me, and a big mistake if true imo. Getting two controllers out of the box when you buy a Switch is great value, especially if you have kids.
What I heard was that it would include a pro controller for docked play. But yeah easy two player for some games was a perk of the joycons.

Robb

Gold Member
What I heard was that it would include a pro controller for docked play. But yeah easy two player for some games was a perk of the joycons.
Interesting, although hard to believe since having built-in controllers in addition to a standalone controller in the same package would up the price a fair bit, which isn’t very Nintendo-like. But I guess they could have multiple SKU’s.

Would also be surprised to see Nintendo move away from motion controls.

Last edited:

zeomax

This patent is not about hall effect sensors for the sticks it is about adaptive resistance for the analoge sticks. So basically like the adaptive triggers on the PS5 but for the joysticks. The bad part is, the analoge sticks are still using regular resistors for the detection of the movement. The mentioned magnetic field is for changing the viscosity of the fluid inside the joystick to adjust the resisting force for the sticks.

Last edited:

Hugare

There are $50 chinese consoles with Hall joysticks

I wouldnt expect anything less from the Switch 2. Nintendo, I swear to God, if you cheap out ...

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Day one baby.
I mean, yeah.
But the way rumors are escalating, Switch 2 will be rumored to have negative energy consumption before Sunday is over.

Rumor is that Switch 2 won't have detachable joycons anymore so it's probably a really big priority for them to address this.
Please NO.
Playing Metroid Prime with separate Joycons is one of the joys of life. The game just doesn’t work as a dual-stick shooter for me.

dave_d

People trying to solve in 2023 problems that were already solved in the 2000s on Dreamcast or Xbox to name only these two consoles.
And Saturn. And come to think of it the N64.(Which was actually not analog.)

Last edited:

Tams

Can't say I've ever had drifting and I've had a Switch since launch. Are people being too aggressive with their sticks? Only controllers I've had drift are PS4 and Xbox One.

If true then it's good they are going with higher quality components.

I used think the same, but then I ended up using my Switch portably a lot more and now four JoyCons have severe drift. To the point of them being unusable.

Tams

This patent is not about hall effect sensors for the sticks it is about adaptive resistance for the analoge sticks. So basically like the adaptive triggers on the PS5 but for the joysticks. The bad part is, the analoge sticks are still using regular resistors for the detection of the movement. The mentioned magnetic field is for changing the viscosity of the fluid inside the joystick to adjust the resisting force for the sticks.

Look.

Do you expect us to actual read the article, let alone the patent?! And then understand it?!

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Are you suggesting that because you, a single person, did not have an issue, everyone else must be doing something wrong?
Are you suggesting that because you experienced something that does not happen to every person, that it must be a serious problem?

Sometimes failures are rare and cannot be identified in initial testing because the frequency of occurrence is too low to have the marginal parts in your test batches. The point is, these things are statistical and many / most don't experience the issue and it makes no sense to attribute some paranoid finger pointing to anyone who happened to not be unlucky.

Hudo

Are you suggesting that because you, a single person, did not have an issue, everyone else must be doing something wrong?

Are you suggesting that because you experienced something that does not happen to every person, that it must be a serious problem?

Sometimes failures are rare and cannot be identified in initial testing because the frequency of occurrence is too low to have the marginal parts in your test batches. The point is, these things are statistical and many / most don't experience the issue and it makes no sense to attribute some paranoid finger pointing to anyone who happened to not be unlucky.
Alright, you two tonight, 1 am, behind Arby's. You're fighting each other to the death with Joycons. Winner gets a Wikipedia entry.

Raploz

Exactly. This article is completely misleading. Also, patents aren't confirmation they will use it.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Don’t see it happening with any of the first party controllers that is such a money train for them having sticks that don’t break would be a huge financial loss. Especially Nintendo

Top Bottom