• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thank you, Nintendo Switch

The september direct came and went, and the message was clear - this is the end of the Switch. The past 6 years, the Switch has given me so many wonderful, and surprising memories. And not just from playing the games, but from the Directs, E3’s , speculation, and various experiences. Here are my fond moments, and please, share yours, as we celebrate this wonderful generation , coming to an end.

-The reveal of the “NX” with that trailer of feeling ice cubes in the joycons (i was like NO WAY!! ) And it didn’t really turn out to be anything of substance 😆.
KEXcpOt.jpg

- E3 2016. My first and only e3 I went to. MIND BLOWN. Breath of the wild had TAKEN OVER. The whole Nintendo area was like stepping into the game. Playing it was amazing, looked stunning, lush world, even though all you did was run around the plateau for a few minutes.
pFYkyqQ.jpg

-THAT Zelda trailer. Oh man. To this day, i think its the greatest videogame trailer ever made. But then…

-Playing and beating breath of the wild. All those amazing scenes from the trailer? All memories. Man I ended up so disappointed by BOTW. I missed the unique weapons, music, classic 3D Zelda But as time went on, I realized the adventure was the journey. Kept replaying and grew to enjoy it.

- The reveal of Smash Bros Ultimate. My God. All those various Directs, character reveals, stages (FF7 in Smash???!!!). A game we will NEVER get again to this amount of various IP, a true celebration of all iconic videogames.
51XJYdW.jpg

- Mario Odyssey. I cannot believe this experience. From turning into a freakin dinosaur, to the awesome motion boxing battles with bowser, the wonderful song in new donk city, to playing as bowser and visiting N64 peach castle?! I never thought mario galaxy could be rivaled. I was wrong.
cf46RWC.jpg

-the click noise used in every direct from attatching the joycons. So satisfying.

- the joycon drift. Horrible. Had to get mine fixed. Couldn’t believe it was real.

- metroid dread. Oh man. This was one of those games that made you a master at the controls and becoming a badass bounty hunter. They freakin did it. Super metroid feelings came back. It was like learning to play the piano and becoming a legend. Felt amazing. One of my fave of all time.

-The reveal of the Links Awakening remake. I remember seeing that redone animation intro, and I was like no freakin way!!! Then the actual gameplay animation was so charming! Great game minus the slowdown.
cQNjX8h.jpg

-Switch pro leaks and rumors. I would love to some day hear the behind the scenes story on this thing. Exciting. Then a letdown. Canceled. Covid. Chip shortage. This whole thing, the system, the dark days, its all one story. Switch was a part of our covid lives. Animal Crossing became the title of covid refuge.

-The (continuing) wish to have Wind Waker portable 😭 ….

- Tears of the kingdom. I, who wasn’t to fond of BOTW, wasnt expecting to have TOTK become one of my Greatest Of All Time games. But here we are. Ganondorf was back. The possibilities of the gameplay. The story. I was so invested. Bought the oled zelda switch (this thing looks so damn good), amiibo’s, pro controller. I was all in. And I will never forget this experience for the rest of my life.
W9yXuMl.jpg

And so we come to this end of Switch direct. Super Mario Wonder, I have a feeling, will join the top tier experiences of this generation. I will really enjoy mario rpg remake. Paper mario TYD. This September Direct dissapointed me, but then I realised it signaled the end of the Switch, & the begining of the next generation.

With all the leaks of the Switch 2 capabilities, I am really excited for the future. Give me an Ocarina of Time remake with raytracing. ALL 3rd party games, portable and beautiful. Metroid, Mario, all these in glorious graphics, portable, oh man I cannot wait. Feeling like Nintendo has caught up visually to the competition is something I haven’t felt since the gamecube (I hope its true)
u8dVLMl.jpg

And above all else, regarding the Switch,I will forever have all these amazing games (includiing a ton I haven’t mentioned like RE4) , fond memories, to replay PORTABLE for the rest of my years. And for that, I am greatful.

Thank you, Nintendo Switch.

The september direct came and went, and the message was clear - this is the end of the Switch. The past 6 years, the Switch has given me so many wonderful, and surprising memories. And not just from playing the games, but from the Directs, E3’s , speculation, and various experiences. Here are my fond moments, and please, share yours, as we celebrate this wonderful generation , coming to an end.

-The reveal of the “NX” with that trailer of feeling ice cubes in the joycons (i was like NO WAY!! ) And it didn’t really turn out to be anything of substance 😆.
KEXcpOt.jpg

- E3 2016. My first and only e3 I went to. MIND BLOWN. Breath of the wild had TAKEN OVER. The whole Nintendo area was like stepping into the game. Playing it was amazing, looked stunning, lush world, even though all you did was run around the plateau for a few minutes.
pFYkyqQ.jpg

-THAT Zelda trailer. Oh man. To this day, i think its the greatest videogame trailer ever made. But then…

-Playing and beating breath of the wild. All those amazing scenes from the trailer? All memories. Man I ended up so disappointed by BOTW. I missed the unique weapons, music, classic 3D Zelda But as time went on, I realized the adventure was the journey. Kept replaying and grew to enjoy it.

- The reveal of Smash Bros Ultimate. My God. All those various Directs, character reveals, stages (FF7 in Smash???!!!). A game we will NEVER get again to this amount of various IP, a true celebration of all iconic videogames.
51XJYdW.jpg

- Mario Odyssey. I cannot believe this experience. From turning into a freakin dinosaur, to the awesome motion boxing battles with bowser, the wonderful song in new donk city, to playing as bowser and visiting N64 peach castle?! I never thought mario galaxy could be rivaled. I was wrong.
cf46RWC.jpg

-the click noise used in every direct from attatching the joycons. So satisfying.

- the joycon drift. Horrible. Had to get mine fixed. Couldn’t believe it was real.

- metroid dread. Oh man. This was one of those games that made you a master at the controls and becoming a badass bounty hunter. They freakin did it. Super metroid feelings came back. It was like learning to play the piano and becoming a legend. Felt amazing. One of my fave of all time.

-The reveal of the Links Awakening remake. I remember seeing that redone animation intro, and I was like no freakin way!!! Then the actual gameplay animation was so charming! Great game minus the slowdown.
cQNjX8h.jpg

-Switch pro leaks and rumors. I would love to some day hear the behind the scenes story on this thing. Exciting. Then a letdown. Canceled. Covid. Chip shortage. This whole thing, the system, the dark days, its all one story. Switch was a part of our covid lives. Animal Crossing became the title of covid refuge.

-The (continuing) wish to have Wind Waker portable 😭 ….

- Tears of the kingdom. I, who wasn’t to fond of BOTW, wasnt expecting to have TOTK become one of my Greatest Of All Time games. But here we are. Ganondorf was back. The possibilities of the gameplay. The story. I was so invested. Bought the oled zelda switch (this thing looks so damn good), amiibo’s, pro controller. I was all in. And I will never forget this experience for the rest of my life.
W9yXuMl.jpg

And so we come to this end of Switch direct. Super Mario Wonder, I have a feeling, will join the top tier experiences of this generation. I will really enjoy mario rpg remake. Paper mario TYD. This September Direct dissapointed me, but then I realised it signaled the end of the Switch, & the begining of the next generation.

With all the leaks of the Switch 2 capabilities, I am really excited for the future. Give me an Ocarina of Time remake with raytracing. ALL 3rd party games, portable and beautiful. Metroid, Mario, all these in glorious graphics, portable, oh man I cannot wait. Feeling like Nintendo has caught up visually to the competition is something I haven’t felt since the gamecube (I hope its true)
u8dVLMl.jpg

And above all else, regarding the Switch,I will forever have all these amazing games (includiing a ton I haven’t mentioned like RE4) , fond memories, to replay PORTABLE for the rest of my years. And for that, I am greatful.

Thank you, Nintendo Switch.

As for the Switch 2. You know the hardware level is most likely gonna be PS4/XBONE level graphics? I don't expect it to be PS5 level when it comes to graphics. I expect it to use DLSS though

Last edited:
As for the Switch 2. You know the hardware level is most likely gonna be PS4/XBONE level graphics? I don't expect it to be PS5 level when it comes to graphics. I expect it to use DLSS though
Yeah. But I think PS4 level graphics is the sweet spot. Especially if you throwin DLSS on top of that power. PS5 hasn’t shown me a significant enough jump in graphics vs PS4 to really blow me away. The law of diminishing returns with the current generation is the highest I’ve ever seen. And ps4 power in the hands of Nintendo will be absolute magic. I mean, look at what they have accomplished with the Switch hardware for goodness sakes. Very exciting times ahead. Especially for Nintendo fans.

Yeah. But I think PS4 level graphics is the sweet spot. Especially if you throwin DLSS on top of that power. PS5 hasn’t shown me a significant enough jump in graphics vs PS4 to really blow me away. The law of diminishing returns with the current generation is the highest I’ve ever seen. And ps4 power in the hands of Nintendo will be absolute magic. I mean, look at what they have accomplished with the Switch hardware for goodness sakes. Very exciting times ahead. Especially for Nintendo fans.

That's what I'm saying if the Switch 2 is capable of that level of graphics I'll be fine if Switch 2 last me 10 to 20 years. Yes for me Law of Diminishing Returns is a thing. I haven't bought a PS5 or Xbox Series X since I'm just not impressed. If anything I'm upgrading my PC to a cheaper build. I'm sure by now there are parts that can blow my previous build out of the water that are cheap. I still game on 1080p.

Also remember when they release the Switch 2, it will most likely have better hardware in general. Like more ram, etc that will make it like a more powerful PS4

Just like how the Switch is a more powerful PS3/XB360

Last edited:

IAmRei

Well Xenoblade Chronicles Franchise is the BEST WAIFU

That game, xenoblade series, monster hunter, and zelda, and also metroid dread, are the most i remembered from switch. I spent lot of time to those games. Well in between them is mario kart and strikers with my friends.

I mostly use switch and my pc for gaming (pc is also versatile gaming device for me since i mostly working with laptop)

In the contrary, I rarely played ps5 until i got FF XVI last month.

That game, xenoblade series, monster hunter, and zelda, and also metroid dread, are the most i remembered from switch. I spent lot of time to those games. Well in between them is mario kart and strikers with my friends.

I mostly use switch and my pc for gaming (pc is also versatile gaming device for me since i mostly working with laptop)

In the contrary, I rarely played ps5 until i got FF XVI last month.

Yeah I just play Switch/Steam. I'm getting a Steamdeck since playing my Steam backlog on the go is a plus for me.

I tend to play my Switch ALOT though, not only first party but third party too

I still remember Gaffers going crazy in the fake NX pic thread.

I only got a Switch in 2022 and man, what an amazing experience I've had with it. Lots of games I wouldn't have played otherwise, from Breath of the Wild to the Xenoblade series, Triangle Strategy and more. Also grateful for the occasional sales on the eShop, I saved a lot of money and was able to try games I may not have bought otherwise.

I just hope the successor is going to be powerful and have a strong catalog of first-party games in its first year.

StueyDuck

it's a game console, there will be another and another.

maybe it's because i've been through enough gens now in my life, but apart from a bit of nostalgia here and there what comes next will always be exciting.

I love Switch it's one of my favourite consoles of all time. Will be sad to see it go but hopefully Switch 2 is even better.

I still have a few games to play and will probably buy some more.

its been great but some weird decisions from nintendo too. like, where is the zelda wind waker and twilight princess hd ports? why was skyward sword ported over but not the better more requested zelda games? why was mario galaxy 1 ported but not 2? these games would have sold a lot of copies and cant be too hard to port over. some of these decisions just make no sense.

Last edited:

Impotaku

When you take the output of nintendo & combine it with all the 3rd party stuff that the switch has & still is getting and the library is insane it's now surpassed the DS for the amount of games i own for a single console already passed 400 and there's still so many games i want to get hold of. Over the next few months theres several releasing each month i'm after.

For someone who loves rhythm games & shmups it's a treasure trove of releases.

mcjmetroid

I was very hard on the console in the beginning, You could even check past posts about 3-4 years ago. It had a very strong first year but had a very hard second and third year I found. The era of the full priced wiiu ports was very hard to deal with and to defend.

However it soon after this probably became Nintendo's best console ever. The only thing stopping me saying it's the best is the situation with the joycons.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I wish the system was more ergonomic. Even if I never play mine, I can admit it was a great system with plenty of great games. Looking forward to Mario Wonderland.

I really need to pick up the other Mario titles I’m missing. I really do enjoy those.

Mario and Zelda are the only two console franchises I don’t want to miss out on, so I’m sure I’ll be buying the Switch successor.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
YES!! I can honestly say I probably would have stopped gaming all together if the switch didn’t exist. It seem every time I was to the point of not having bought a game for months because every AAA game is an interactive movie Nintendo would put out something stellar and renew my love for gaming. Nintendo and souls games. 😂

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Some good games but I expected way more output after they stopped supporting the 3DS and could focus on one console. Online terrible as always.

BlackTron

It's a great system but I don't feel that it earned its "best" badge on the back of its own games. Mostly yesterday's games in a very tight package. Until late game I felt like Odyssey really stood out.

It made success with the exact same games that Wii U failed with by focusing on the hardware itself and marketing. There is a huge lesson there. Software can't save everything. The whole strategy needs alignment.

Woopah

It's a great system but I don't feel that it earned its "best" badge on the back of its own games. Mostly yesterday's games in a very tight package. Until late game I felt like Odyssey really stood out.

It made success with the exact same games that Wii U failed with by focusing on the hardware itself and marketing. There is a huge lesson there. Software can't save everything. The whole strategy needs alignment.
If Switch had the Wii U lineup it would have been a huge failure. Hardware and marketing are important, but it's success game from its software line up being vastly superior to Wii U.

BlackTron

If Switch had the Wii U lineup it would have been a huge failure. Hardware and marketing are important, but it's success game from its software line up being vastly superior to Wii U.

Mario Odyssey was the only first party game I bought for a long time because all they had was Wii U ports for years.

Mario Kart 8
Mario 3D World
Mario Bros U
DKC Tropical Freeze
Hyrule Warriors
Mario Maker (added a 2)
Splatoon (added a 2)
Bayonetta 2
Pikmin 3 Deluxe

I already had 90% of these games for Wii U so it's a bit more apparent to me. The best-selling games, Mario Kart 8 (60 million) and BOTW (30 million) are Wii U ports. Switch was very much built on the back of the Wii U lineup, I'm sorry.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
its been great but some weird decisions from nintendo too. like, where is the zelda wind waker and twilight princess hd ports? why was skyward sword ported over but not the better more requested zelda games? why was mario galaxy 1 ported but not 2? these games would have sold a lot of copies and cant be too hard to port over. some of these decisions just make no sense.

Wait, the system must have the most previous generation remasters of any system in the history of gaming, to the point of overkill, and that's your take away?

One thing - Thank God for third party joycons for those of use with bigger hands. My hands are cramping just thinking about playing with joycons.

Last edited:

Woopah

Mario Odyssey was the only first party game I bought for a long time because all they had was Wii U ports for years.

Mario Kart 8
Mario 3D World
Mario Bros U
DKC Tropical Freeze
Hyrule Warriors
Mario Maker (added a 2)
Splatoon (added a 2)
Bayonetta 2
Pikmin 3 Deluxe

I already had 90% of these games for Wii U so it's a bit more apparent to me. The best-selling games, Mario Kart 8 (60 million) and BOTW (30 million) are Wii U ports. Switch was very much built on the back of the Wii U lineup, I'm sorry.
If you ignore 90%+ of the Switch first party library and all the third party library, then yes it is simialr to Wii U. My point is that having those 90% other first party games and a much stronger third party lineup has an impact on hardware sales.

Switch was pretty relient on Wii U ports in the first half of 2018, and sales were sluggish as a result. For the rest of its 6+ years, its very much sold on the back of its own exclusive games.

BlackTron

If you ignore 90%+ of the Switch first party library and all the third party library, then yes it is simialr to Wii U. My point is that having those 90% other first party games and a much stronger third party lineup has an impact on hardware sales.

Switch was pretty relient on Wii U ports in the first half of 2018, and sales were sluggish as a result. For the rest of its 6+ years, its very much sold on the back of its own exclusive games.

Gonna have to disagree with you there. All of the third party and "little" first party games found an audience because people bought into the system for two primary reasons: to play Wii U games like BOTW and Mario Kart 8, and to get at the tight hybrid hardware solution.

In other words, it sold for a combination of Wii U titles and hardware design. Agree to disagree.

Woopah

Gonna have to disagree with you there. All of the third party and "little" first party games found an audience because people bought into the system for two primary reasons: to play Wii U games like BOTW and Mario Kart 8, and to get at the tight hybrid hardware solution.

In other words, it sold for a combination of Wii U titles and hardware design. Agree to disagree.
Having giant gaps between major releases was a major problem for Wii U, and something Switch has not suffered from.

But even if you only look at the major titles, Switch got new Pokemon, Smash Bros., Animal Crossing, Ring Fit, Luigi's Mansion, Switch Sports, etc. etc. that Wii U never got.

Top Bottom