• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Switch accessory manufacturer, Mopad, shared alleged Switch 2 info on their Bilibili page: Physical BC, 1080p screen, new buttons on JoyCons

Aldric

Hmmmm, good news so far. 8" screen at 1080p is a big win, as long as there is an oled model. Bigger joycons means there is hope, I just hope they change the crappy joysticks too. Still having a dock is no surprise, don't want to rock the boat. It supporting 4k means they are likely to support at least some games at 1440p or 4k, likely upscale via dlss.

So the only real question left is just how powerfull or weak the console is.
Will a steam deck level (or less) machine really cut it in 2024? Will it leave the door open for a machine 2 or 3 times as powerull from Sony or ms to steal marketshare? I think that's the risk if the switch is just switch 1.5.

I mean if graphics "don't matter", how do you get current casual switch owners to buy the new machine? If they do matter, being weakest on the block by a wide margin might be a big issue. I know us hardcores will buy both. But beyond that could be interesting.
From what we know of the new SoC based on the Nvidia hack this console is probably going to be the biggest graphical leap for Nintendo games since their first HD machine 12 years ago. First party Nintendo games with PS4+ level visuals are going to be very appealing to a lot of people I think.

Also if (and that's a big if) the rumors about the system being able to run the Matrix demo are real then it might get more third party support than even the first generation Switch. I'd say Nintendo are in the best position they've ever been if they play their cards right, now of course there's always the possibility they do something stupid and mess everything up.

Deerock71

From what we know of the new SoC based on the Nvidia hack this console is probably going to be the biggest graphical leap for Nintendo games since their first HD machine 12 years ago. First party Nintendo games with PS4+ level visuals are going to be very appealing to a lot of people I think.

Also if (and that's a big if) the rumors about the system being able to run the Matrix demo are real then it might get more third party support than even the first generation Switch. I'd say Nintendo are in the best position they've ever been if they play their cards right, now of course there's always the possibility they do something stupid and mess everything up.
One analog trigger and one digital:
Steve Brule Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

The cartridge slot of the Switch 2 will support backward compatibility with physical Switch game cartridges, ensuring compatibility with players' existing game libraries, including digital versions. However, the second-generation cartridges may not be compatible with the first-generation console.
Just the fact that this is included, makes me think it's at least partially made up. Next-gen Switch games won't work on original Switch? Are they serious?

Next thing we'll hear is the N64 doesn't work with GameCube discs.

Last edited:
I would've been pissed beyond belief if there was no back compat
They can't release a next-gen console in 2024/2025 without BC. It's become a standard, expected feature. We're all trained now to expect to fully be able to move our digital and physical libraries over. So many games are live games, too. That carry across devices. It took 40 years, but it's finally a thing. And thank God.

Last edited:

Agreed the leap will be noticeable, as opposed to Wii U > Switch, which was just a more efficient, semi-improvement over Wii U. But the full portability and sleekness is what truly carried it to greatness. And the killer launch year software, of course.

Woopah

Just the fact that this is included, makes me think it's at least partially made up. Next-gen Switch games won't work on original Switch? Are they serious?

Next thing we'll hear is the N64 doesn't work with GameCube discs.
It was similar to what happened with the 3DS. I can imagine this being something that Nintendo clarifies fot its partners.

Fake

He just means Nintendo puts a lot of effort into using art styles that can really shine with the spec of their machine, rather than shoe-horning high-fidelity games and having to squeeze them down to fit onto a mobile chipset they weren't meant for.

Nothing what he said looks what you saying. PS4 launch games are super good looking. NS2 games will look great because Nintendo, but PS4 launch games are superb. There is no point trying to downplay base PS4.

Nothing what he said looks what you saying. PS4 launch games are super good looking. NS2 games will look great because Nintendo, but PS4 launch games are superb. There is no point trying to downplay base PS4.
Correct. You asked, so I translated. Unless you weren't actually asking.

I wasn't saying anything about PS4 launch window game graphics, I was simply translating his response in specific terms, as you asked.

Last edited:
It was similar to what happened with the 3DS. I can imagine this being something that Nintendo clarifies fot its partners.
What happened with 3DS? No one who knows anything about games would ever think a next-generation machine's software would run on the prior generation's machine. That's something soccer moms and grandmas ask a Best Buy clerk, because the concept of a console gaming generation is foreign to them.

Last edited:
WTF is that supposed to mean?
trying to say tons of ps4 games look like trash because the devs didnt design for the hardware well enough.

nintendo's been making good looking games on potato hardware, so i expect nintendo's best on switch2 to exceed ps4 IQ, esp. considering switch2 will utilize a chipset with some modern features.

Woopah

What happened with 3DS? No one who knows anything about games would ever think a next-generation machine's software would run on the prior generation's machine. That's something soccer moms and grandmas ask a Best Buy clerk, because the concept of a console gaming generation is foreign to them.
The 3DS carts were given a different shape to make them not fit into a DS.

For companies designing accessories to hold Switch 2 carts, they would need to know that the carts have different dimensions than Switch carts.

Last edited:
Unless they went with completely alien and incompatible architecture, I never understood the fear that Nintendo wouldn't have BC. Surely they will want to continue selling currently available games on their next system.

FStubbs

Grandmas maybe, but soccer moms grew up with game consoles. They'd have to be in their mid 50s not to understand game console generations.

Grandmas maybe, but soccer moms grew up with game consoles. They'd have to be in their mid 50s not to understand game console generations.
Back then gaming was mostly male, tho. I worked in retail back in the mid 2000s before the Wii era. It was totally soccer moms and grandmas back then that knew nothing.

The 3DS carts were given a different shape to make them not fit into a DS.

For companies designing accessories to hold Switch 2 carts, they would need to know that the carts have different dimensions than Switch carts.
Well obviously the shapes different. lol. Every single cart shape in all of video games are a different shape than their predecessor. That wasn’t new with the 3DS. They do it to make piracy more difficult, more than anything else. This would just be an expected thing and of course Nintendo would provide the dimensions of the new cart.

My main point was the article makes it sound like it needs to be explained that Switch 2 games won’t play on Switch 1. Which like, *obviously that’s the case.

Last edited:

Woopah

Well obviously the shapes different. lol. Every single cart shape in all of video games are a different shape than their predecessor. That wasn’t new with the 3DS. They do it to make piracy more difficult, more than anything else. This would just be an expected thing and of course Nintendo would provide the dimensions of the new cart.

My main point was the article makes it sound like it needs to be explained that Switch 2 games won’t play on Switch 1. Which like, *obviously that’s the case.
I think they are just sharing everything Nintendo will have told these accessory manufacturers. The Switch 2 carts having different dimensions will be one of the things Nintendo will have said.

Basically a PS4 level handheld gaming would make me happy. It will have 8 - 12GB of ram at 100GB/s bandwidth, huge improvement over the current Switch's 4GB @ 25GB/s memory bandwidth.

Unless they went with completely alien and incompatible architecture, I never understood the fear that Nintendo wouldn't have BC. Surely they will want to continue selling currently available games on their next system.

The question was whether they would support Physical BC because of the exploits.

Yeah.. no one under NDA has ever leaked anything. 😂
a leak would be anonymous or through a third party.

theyve got massive lawsuits on their hands if this proves true. makes no sense for a company to outwardly blab about their contractual work. a rogue employee is one thing an official statement by a reputable company is another level.

Last edited:

McRazzle

a leak would be anonymous or through a third party.

theyve got massive lawsuits on their hands if this proves true. makes no sense for a company to outwardly blab about their contractual work. a rogue employee is one thing an official statement by a reputable company is another level.
They're not licensed by Nintendo, and they said their info comes from their connections in the supply chain.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Basically a PS4 level handheld gaming would make me happy. It will have 8 - 12GB of ram at 100GB/s bandwidth, huge improvement over the current Switch's 4GB @ 25GB/s memory bandwidth.

Should be beyond a standard PS4 level. My Steam Deck can handle PS5 game at lower fidelity rn. I expect this to be on par with the SD

Top Bottom