• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video released of Tulsa PD shooting and killing unarmed black man (Up: not guilty)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're never going to prove murder in a case like this. Manslaughter is the correct charge.

Doesn't guarantee a conviction, but it increases the chances.

I don't know, man. I'm getting a seriously eerie feeling about this.

Recall Rekia Boyd's killer, Officer Dante Servin. Judge let him off on a "technicality", saying the prosecution undercharged and should've went for a murder charge.

Only cautious optimism here, y'all. You know how these things end.
How will they botch it and let her walk away free?
Exactly how I just said.

Well, it happened to the cop who raped all those women in Oklahoma. Everyone was saying "he won't be convicted" at the time but they threw the book at him.

He also raped multiple women. Living victims who could ban together to actually tell their story multiple times. Here we have a video, the word of a cop and a dead man. A situation we've seen before many times and has bore little fruit in the way of justice.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Sad that this has pretty much been entirely forgotten because of the North Carolina shooting. Guy there had a gun, which automatically means he deserved to die according to far too many people, and there has been looting after protests (which means protests and the looting are the same thing to too many people).

Garlador

He also raped multiple women. Living victims who could ban together to actually tell their story multiple times. Here we have a video, the word of a cop and a dead man. A situation we've seen before many times and has bore little fruit in the way of justice.

Not much, but it's two videos and also video evidence contradicting their initial statements concerning the murder. That's more ammunition (no pun intended) than Trayvon Martin ever got.

Not that I won't be woefully unsurprised if nothing sticks, especially since her husband is a fellow-cop (that's an attack on TWO cops on the force...), but I also don't see charges thrown at officers so quickly like this either or video evidence that blatantly contradicts their original reports.

shinkai

I have a friend on Facebook who believes she's getting thrown under the bus because she's a female cop. I'm not as sure (as we've had manslaughter charges on male cops before).

Were any of the those charges recent? I'm also thinking the same thing as your friend, it just seems all too coincidental that's pretty much how I see it.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
You're never going to prove murder in a case like this. Manslaughter is the correct charge.

Doesn't guarantee a conviction, but it increases the chances.

It seems like they never go with Manslaughter charges in cases like this for some reason when it seems like the most reasonable charge to levee.

When they go straight for murder I always suspect they don't expect the case to go forward anyway and just want a PR bump in the short term.

1pqa0CD.jpg

UlYUwkI.png

DuyGb72.jpg

A rubber bullet shows as a round spot on the X-ray of 14-year-old Wael Imad. The Palestinian boy died of his injuries on 22 October 2000. (TIME)

It's a step in the right direction.

Well, it happened to the cop who raped all those women in Oklahoma. Everyone was saying "he won't be convicted" at the time but they threw the book at him.

That's because he went around raping women. Can't exactly make excuses for that shit.

Shooting innocent black men they can always come up with they feared for their life etc.

Were any of the those charges recent? I'm also thinking the same thing as your friend, it just seems all too coincidental that's pretty much how I see it.
I'd be curious to see data on that: out of all the cops actually charged, the breakdown by gender/race. We're seeing the isolated cases, but yeah, the last one I remember is an Asian guy.
This might all be confirmation bias on my part: expecting a racist institution to be racist, even towards its own.

I'm never really that serious on this site but this seriously bothered me to the point of tears.

This man had a family, was in CC to get his diploma and get up to those higher paying jobs was doing nothing wrong and complied with the police but still ended up getting shot and killed for it.

It makes me even more scared as a black man that one day my car could stall, could get pulled over, or have any type of negative interaction with the police and those could be my last moments.

It's really hard for me to handle.

That's because he went around raping women. Can't exactly make excuses for that shit.

Shooting innocent black men they can always come up with they feared for their life etc.

Eh, if ignoring black victims is a national pastime for the cops (it is), I'd argue ignoring sexual assault is probably the other big favorite of the police. I was shocked that they got that guy.

Brb, watching him cry again.

Eh, if ignoring black victims is a national pastime for the cops (it is), I'd argue ignoring sexual assault is probably the other big favorite of the police. I was shocked that they got that guy.

Brb, watching him cry again.
Yeah, I enjoyed that bit probably even more than you did. Served him right. Bitch ass mofo.

She won't serve a day.

It'll go to trial, the jury will be a hung jury because there is always those couple people who could never imagine a cop committing a crime(or fuck black people they are always a threat types), she'll get fired and then get hired by another department so she can threaten more black people and his family with get a couple million dollars for their troubles.

Same shit different day.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Good to see her charged, but yeah, I have a feeling she will walk, just cause I have no faith in our justice system.

I have a feeling she'll get convicted. However, I bet she gets probation.

This was excellent. Thank you!

Edit:
Why are pics of people hurt by non lethal ammo posted in this thread? Is that to imply that getting hurt is somehow worse than outright murder?

No it's just a reply to the idea that PDs switching to rubber bullets might result in less death but it will still cause an incredible amount of damage and that the push should be for less of a reliance on propelled force altogether

Portugeezer

She won't serve a day.

It'll go to trial, the jury will be a hung jury because there is always those couple people who could never imagine a cop committing a crime(or fuck black people they are always a threat types), she'll get fired and then get hired by another department so she can threaten more black people and his family with get a couple million dollars for their troubles.

Same shit different day.

Nah, I think more will be done... but then again she is a woman so she'll get a lighter punishment in general. There is no evidence of anything to even put doubt in anyone's mind for this one. No one running away, no struggle, nothing... bitch just shot him as he stood by his car.

sad thing is real terrorists such who have actual shoot outs with police tend to survive and then get arrested. While people who are not a threat gunned down for no reason.

Garlador

Mistrial or bench trial. Basically look at the Trayvon Martin results.

A very real, and even likely, possibility, but the Trayvon Martin case didn't have two videos documenting the confrontation or showing the outcome. The Martin case was a horrible case of "my word against his, and he's dead".

I'm not exactly optimistic, but at least this has the whole confrontation recorded by multiple cameras and clear evidence that contradicts their initial statements.

That's basically what I use when black on black crime is brought up. They normally deflect from there because they can't actually argue it.
Yeah, I bet they do. All four of your points were salient, but I never thought of it in the way you described point #4. Hard for them to wrap their head around that one, I'm sure.
A very real, and even likely, possibility, but the Trayvon Martin case didn't have two videos documenting the confrontation or showing the outcome. The Martin case was a horrible case of "my word against his, and he's dead".

I'm not exactly optimistic, but at least this has the whole confrontation recorded by multiple cameras and clear evidence that contradicts their initial statements.
What bothers me here is that she just might even get prosecuted not only because she's guilty but because she's a woman. If anyone would be made an example of, it would be her. That's a little problematic to me. But I still want her to go to jail though.

jmood88

I have a friend on Facebook who believes she's getting thrown under the bus because she's a female cop. I'm not as sure (as we've had manslaughter charges on male cops before).
I've seen a few people say this. Thankfully, it has been said more as an aside than a defense like what happened with Peter Liang.

undrtakr900

"That nigger was on PCP, Johnson! I had to use necessary force! You saw him!"

And I have to go to Detroit tomorrow to drop my sister off at the airport. God help me.
damn... it's crazy how yeeeeeears ago, Dave Chappelle had a joke relating to that.

"That n****r was on PCP, Johnson. I had to use necessary force! You saw him."

smh.
I don't know if you guys are old enough to remember Rodney King beating, but the Cops said the same thing about King to assassinate his character:

"The officers later testified that they believed King was under the influence of the dissociative drug phencyclidine (PCP), although King's toxicology tested negative for the drug."

Crazy to read the police just happened to be passing by on another call and feel the need to all jump out guns and taser pointing.

What happened to just slowing down and lowering the window to ask what's happening. police over there escalate normal situations into a man hunt or drug bust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom