• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video released of Tulsa PD shooting and killing unarmed black man (Up: not guilty)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gutshot

TULSA, Okla. (KTUL) -- Tulsa Police Chief Chuck Jordan says Terence Crutcher's deadly shooting was "disturbing and very difficult to watch," as he reviewed the footage with Crutcher's family over the weekend.

Jordan spoke Monday afternoon at a news conference before the department released dashcam footage of the Sept. 16 incident.

Crutcher was shot to death by Officer Betty Shelby Friday night near East 36th Street North and North Lewis Avenue. According to Jordan, Shelby was en route to another call when she came upon Crutcher's stalled SUV.

Shelby and another officer, Tyler Turnbough, both used force during the incident. Turnbough used a stun gun on Crutcher before Shelby fired a single gunshot.

Initially, police said Crutcher disobeyed officers' orders to raise his arms.

In the dashcam video, Crutcher has his arms raised as he walks back to his vehicle. That's when Shelby fires her gun.

During Monday's news conference, Jordan said Crutcher had no gun on him and there was no gun in his vehicle.

http://ktul.com/news/local/police-chief-terence-crutcher-was-unarmed-when-shot-by-officer

Dashcam view:
https://twitter.com/ShaunKing/status/777960452349321217

Helicopter view:
https://twitter.com/ShaunKing/status/777969664836136960

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Yeah, that is a murder 100%

Complying with his hands up and everything. Hopefully they'll be charged and the charges will stick.

zoku88

At least the police chief seems to think that this is bad.

Also, I didn't know reviewing footage with the victim's family was normal.

Tasered, then shot while incapacitated by taser, all while apparently complying and posing no threat to the gang of police officers surrounding him.

I'm exhausted.

Kibbles

Wow there was absolutely zero reason to shoot him. The fuck? He was even tazed... like why? Straight up murder no doubt about it.

Codeblue

"We as citizens need to sit back and wait and let the process take care of itself," said Tulsa City Councilor Jack Henderson."We as citizens need to sit back and wait and let the process take care of itself," said Tulsa City Councilor Jack Henderson.

This is blatant murder and I still have 0 expectations for the process to take care of itself.

I'm sure these men slept like babies the night after the shooting, knowing the official report would contain lies, the victim's past would be combed through for any negative images, the footage would be disappeared through some loopholes, and the blue wall of silence would have their brothers' backs. And lastly, that there would be scores of private citizens willing to defend them in spite of everything (such as in the "13 year old with BB gun shot to death" thread right now).

The persons in charge of keeping the video out of the public fucked up.

The commentary from the police's perspective is incredibly disturbing. If that's their attitude I don't think any black person will be treated fairly. They need to charge her with murder.

Monarch

Banned
You americans have a real issue at hands. It's despicable knowing that the police officers are on a paid vacation leave for taking the life of an innocent man :/

Jerm411

I would like to think that's about as open and shut as it gets but we've seen this song and dance before...not holding my breath.

Sickening.

If I were a black man in this country, I would seriously never want to leave my house....it's a complete roll of the dice concerning whether you live or die if you do.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Wtf. Why did the officer shoot him?

That's just murder.

Probably the usual list of reasons they use to get away with it:

1) "My life was threatened..."

2) "He probably had a gun..."

3) "He was resisting arrest..."

4) "He fit the description of someone else we were looking for..."

5) "He was no angel..."

etc.

But thank goodness for the good cops! Surely they'll help root out these bad apples!

lul. When hell freezes over I suppose.

Krejlooc

Banned
But people are more upset about some football players not standing up (instead of the issue they are trying to highlight by not standing up)

platocplx

I would like to think that's about as open and shut as it gets but we've seen this song and dance before...not holding my breath.

Sickening.

If I were a black man in this country, I would seriously never want to leave my house....it's a complete roll of the dice concerning whether you live or die if you do.
It definitely is the less diverse the area the worse it is. And we all know tulsa god awful race history

Surfinn

I'm sure these men slept like babies the night after the shooting, knowing the official report would contain lies, the victim's past would be combed through for any negative images, the footage would be disappeared through some loopholes, and the blue wall of silence would have their brothers' backs. And lastly, that there would be scores of private citizens willing to defend them in spite of everything (such as in the "13 year old with BB gun shot to death" thread right now).

The persons in charge of keeping the video out of the public fucked up.

"Crutcher was shot to death by Officer Betty Shelby Friday night" (along with the tasing of a male officer)

Looks like it was a female officer who shot him.

Those videos are really terrible.. completely unnecessary force here.. tasing wasn't enough? :(

I was going to say maybe these cops were paranoid about the whole Dallas thing but this just happened 3 days ago...

What reason did they have to believe that they were in ANY danger? Get another fucking job.

The helicopter video shows this is straight up murder.

You couldn't really see anything on dash cam. But he was standing by the window with his hands on the roof of the car. Like 3 seconds later, she shoots him.

This is murder.

THE:MILKMAN

Did three of the officers back up out the way of the dashcam to avoid their faces being shown on the footage? Or was a female? officer just in complete shock and couldn't turn round?

Either way I don't know how America allows this to keep going on in such huge numbers. Just yesterday there was an incident with a London Police officer that got overly aggressive smashing a window of a car on a routine traffic stop that is now the subject of a full investigation with the two officers on limited duties. This made national news....

I just can't comprehend the first world country that has Police that shoot and kill unharmed suspects knowing it is on film (in some cases from multiple angles)

Where are the users coming in saying he should have just "complied" and nothing would happen to him?
7vNtiKS.gif

You know how it goes.

rjinaz

The officer that just said "he looks like a bad dude" totally nonchalant as he was murdered. Amazing how that wasn't worthy of his fucking commentary.

Edit: Apparently he said, "going for a taser I think", not "they should taser that thing". I think I was wrong about the first part.

Did three of the officers back up out the way of the dashcam to avoid their faces being shown on the footage? Or was a female? officer just in complete shock and couldn't turn round?

Either way I don't know how America allows this to keep going on in such huge numbers. Just yesterday there was an incident with a London Police officer that got overly aggressive smashing a window of a car on a routine traffic stop that is now the subject of a full investigation with the two officers on limited duties. This made national news....

I just can't comprehend the first world country that has Police that shoot and kill unharmed suspects knowing it is on film (in some cases from multiple angles)

The fact is that a majority of Americans are fine with the way things are or actively cheer it on.

Krejlooc

Banned
When this guy's car broke down, he lost several of his rights. That's just the way it is in some situations, you have to expect your rights to be stripped away sometimes. Support the police or else!

Crisco

Banned
Yeah, this one looks pretty indefensible to me. Not that other cases were, but for fucks sakes, they basically murdered a man for being large and black. Doesn't get any more clear cut than this.

Why stun him if you're gonna shoot him anyway? Why even stun him in the first place if he's complying AND doesn't have a gun

That's a fucking execution.

Bread

Banned
The officer that just said "they should taser that thing" "he looks like a bad dude" totally nonchalant as he was murdered. Amazing how that wasn't worthy of his fucking commentary.
it sounded like he said something like "time for a taser, i think".

totally insane that he got shot though, what the fuck were those cops doing? absolutely disgusting.

Krejlooc

Banned
Wait, what the fuck.

The dude's car was fucking stalled in the middle of the road and cops approached him with hostility?

Are you fucking serious?

See, black people in Oklahoma are known to spring traps on cops by appearing to be stranded motorists only for them to jump out of the back of the van and blow the entire police force away. It's only safe for the police to approach every black, stranded motorist as though they were wearing a bomb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom