• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cop:'You'd be first one I'd shoot' and ‘go all Black Lives Matter on us are you?"

jonno394

Interesting you would say that

He may have seen videos, he may not have. There is no proving either way, but come on, I wouldn't put it past anyone who deals with police on a semi-regular basis to say things that aren't true. (Im not implying this guy deals with the police a lot, I dont know, i just know in my experience, people who do are typically cocky and take the piss a lot).

Is the casual swearing in the UK as common as it seems? It seems like they're always (jokingly?) calling each other cunts and telling each other to fuck off. I kind of dig it but you do that in America and you're going to get some sideways looks from unhappy people at best.

Varies - as the memetic answer on the first page suggests, 'banter' culture (alternatively 'Lad' culture) is a thing, and it's often got a dry, cynical tilt to it. The underlying conceit is that you understand it's not to be taken seriously.

That conceit is a lot harder to swallow with regards to a police officer threatening to shoot a black man after said man has expressed concerns implicitly meaning lethal instances of police action against black people. There are ways to respond with further humour while still ultimately assuring that's not what's going to happen... and instead the officer chose to grab that shovel and start digging deeper.

I guess people have upgraded from defending racist jokes and slur usage to police threatening murder because it was just a joke, therefore he shouldn't be fired.

giphy.gif

jonno394

But you instantly assumed he was lying for some reason, putting the blame on him

I didn't, I just said he might not have seen anything, it doesn't change anything in my stance anyway, you standard bobby in the UK isn't exactly well known for brutally beating and killing black people for no reason.

jonno394

I am sure it doesn't, I mean you started off giving them a pass by saying the kid was a liar for some odd reason

He's in trouble with the law, I think it's an easy assumption to make that he may not be the most trustworthy of individuals, regardless of colour.

Slayven

He's in trouble with the law, I think it's a safe assumption to make that he may not be the most trustworthy of individuals, regardless of colour.

He video taped the entire encounter. This is how white supremacy works, the onus is flipped on the abused person to prove they are worthy of being considered human and thus empathized with.

The cop was caught being racist and threatening him. But suddenly the kid is a lying thug

jonno394

He video taped the entire encounter. This is how white supremacy works, the onus is flipped on the abused person to prove they are worthy of being considered human and thus empathized with.

The cop was caught being racist and threatening him. But suddenly the kid is a lying thug

Okay now you're putting words in to my mouth ("thug" which we all know is seen as code nowadays) so I'll leaver you to fester.

Slayven

They were having the sort of back and forth that tries to diffuse situations.

The guy on the couch states "I've been seeing all sorts of videos I have" (note: he probably hasn't and is on the wind up) and the office jokes "you gonna go Black lives Matter on us" (everyone laughs, even the guy on the couch) with regards to the dude on the couch potentially going off on one. The guy on the couch even lets out a chuckle about the shooting comment just before the cut, no-one was being at all serious.

An apology should be made and that's that imo.

He's in trouble with the law, I think it's an easy assumption to make that he may not be the most trustworthy of individuals, regardless of colour.
2d8d70d2fd4ede153a3ff509683de82e--dog-whistle-amazing-dogs.jpg

Okay now you're putting words in to my mouth ("thug" which we all know is seen as code nowadays) so I'll leaver you to fester.

Come one

jonno394

I have no idea what the dog whistle is, Are you accusing me of being a racist because I assume someone (regardless of colour) may not be the most trustworthy person if they are in a situation when they are dealing with 5 police officers, who are not just there for a cup of tea and a chat? If you are just say it, thanks.

Slayven

Are you accusing me of being a racist because I assume someone (regardless of colour) may not be the most trustworthy person if they are in a situation when they are dealing with 5 police officers, who are not just there for a cup of tea and a chat? If you are just say it, thanks.

No your words speak loudly for themselves.

Even if Chambers is in trouble with the law - which the article does not confirm, plus not all crimes are equally terrible - that really doesn't change much about the nature of the statement. The purpose of the statement is in the expression of concern, which doesn't change much if it were specifically true to him or not.

Watching the video makes it seem like a fairly non hostile situation - perhaps a very misguided attempt at 'banter'.

Still inappropriate but based off that video alone I don't think the officer is going to get fired - disciplined, absolutely.

Another day, another cop threatening to kill a PoC and people defending the cop because they really feel the need to be neutral on everything when reality has shown that there are assholes on the force who are super racists and super violent and do shit like this on a daily.

If this were any other profession, it wouldn't even be questioned if they were fired, everybody would shrug there shoulders and say they fucked up

Telling as fuck

Another day, another cop threatening to kill a PoC and people defending the cop because they really feel the need to be neutral on everything when reality has shown that there are assholes on the force who are super racists and super violent and do shit like this on a daily.

It's never people being neutral though. It's always people giving the *cop* the benefit of the doubt.

Here we've got someone in this thread presuming the guy the cop is talking to is a bad person, despite there being no indication he was charged with a crime in the story.

There's no benefit of the doubt for the person who suffered the threat.

Not

Banned
Because he is racist. Race is all he thinks about when seeing a black man.

Yup. To be fair though, this is taught to all white people in our society subconsciously. Even if we're trying to be progressive, if we meet a black stranger our brains are going BLACK PERSON BLACK PERSON BLACK PERSON BLACK PERSON

It fucking sucks :( Best way to combat it is to surround yourself with tons of people who look different than you all the time.

You just said if someone's in trouble with the law, they're automatically not trustworthy.
And here you are downplaying the police's actions.
They were having the sort of back and forth that tries to diffuse situations.

The guy on the couch states "I've been seeing all sorts of videos I have" (note: he probably hasn't and is on the wind up) and the office jokes "you gonna go Black lives Matter on us" (everyone laughs, even the guy on the couch) with regards to the dude on the couch potentially going off on one. The guy on the couch even lets out a chuckle about the shooting comment just before the cut, no-one was being at all serious.

An apology should be made and that's that imo.

A bit suspicious.

Police don't give a shit about being trusted by communities anymore. People are genuinely scared of the cops now and they continue to reinforce the reasons why

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I don't care what country I'm in, I don't want an officer that's so quick to slip into casual racism as a "joke" "protecting and serving" me. Period.

McDonalds: "If I could spit in your order, I'd do it."

Doctor: "If I could inject you with AIDS while giving you your physical, I would."

Police: If I could shoot you with my gun, I would."

I'm sorry, it just doesn't fly, joking or not, and I'm not going to feel comfortable relying on your "service." The underlying problems of racism in any country are that the minorities being subjected to the racism, casual or overt, have been dehumanized by the group in power. Black people are often viewed as less than animals even, and it's no surprise when the excuses start to fly to give racists the benefit of the doubt, but with a minority, in particular a black man...well, "you grow corn you get corn."

I'm not cool with casual racism, and I shut that shit down real quick when I see it. Especially now a days.

Something else that bugs me is that people love to point out, "the black dude is laughing too, so it's all good!" In the past, I've let a lot of casually racist jokes slide because I was the lone black dude surrounded by my white "peers," that all laughed it up, and thought I was being "unreasonable" for pointing out that casual racism isn't cool or acceptable. "It's just jokes, bro!"

God forbid if those peers were cops. I'd laugh it off too. What else can you do? Minorities are often trained to overlook casual racism. Women are often trained to overlook casual sexism. That doesn't mean we're fucking cool with it. Not by a long shot. We laugh at your bullshit, but we are side eying the fuck out of you.

This black dude laughing at the cops "joke" means diddly squat. Having been in many uncomfortable situations in the past where I've had to swallow casual racism, I am intimately familiar with the "laugh it off" tactic of not rocking the boat. If you've never experienced casual racism directed at you, it may be hard for you to understand how not cool that shit really is.

Police don't give a shit about being trusted by communities anymore. People are genuinely scared of the cops now and they continue to reinforce the reasons why

In the UK? I'd argue that police have made stronger ties with the community in recent years.

Lot of respect for them here overall.

Oppo

Slayven you keep posting threads firmly in the "some random racist asshole did a crap thing and there's not much to say but decry it"

I don't have a problem personally but I'm not exactly sure where these discussions are meant to go.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Slayven you keep posting threads firmly in the "some random racist asshole did a crap thing and there's not much to say but decry it"

I don't have a problem personally but I'm not exactly sure where these discussions are meant to go.

My perspective is that it's good to keep these events on the public consciousness because often they're dismissed as "isolated incidents" instead of a deep rooted, systemic and institutional aspects of society, American or otherwise.

Minorities are "othered" regardless of the location on the globe. Blacks in particular are almost universally feared, distrusted, and dehumanizes, no matter where you go. You'd be surprised how many non Americans have told me that where they're from, they're told to stay away from black people, because their savages or violent, or untrustworthy.

The benefit of the doubt given to the cops in this very thread are reason enough why we need to keep having this discussion until it sinks into the thought processes of the privileged majority and becomes as common and second nature as the constant second guessing and "whataboutism" that gets applied to minorities, and blacks in particular.

It's an uncomfortable subject, and I'm sure some folks are tired of seeing it, but imagine how black peoples feel. Day in and day out, we're reminded that we are undervalued, dehumanized, disrespected, and unwelcome, no matter where we go. It's a horrible feeling, and it feels just as bad when our pleas for understanding and empathy constantly fall on deaf ears, while our oppressors are given every consideration and "out" for their shitty behavior.

Slayven

First it was a policeman not a random asshole

Second where does is any discussion meant to go?

Facing racism is a discussion so many want to sidestep around

Top Bottom