• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cop:'You'd be first one I'd shoot' and ‘go all Black Lives Matter on us are you?"

darscot

Racism is okay if you don't have a weapon. Telling someone if you had the ability to blow their brains out and not having a weapon is a okay!

No its was stupid and the officer should apologize and be reprimanded for his actions. No I do not think he should be fired or imprisoned.

Nepenthe

Ah internet rage, fire everyone at the smallest mistake. None of us would have a job if the internet had its way. Plenty of real police incidents to get fired up about. This is not one of them.

Must be nice that casual racism in the police force is just a small mistake to you.

Second, don't pull me in with whatever racist shit you do on your other online accounts. I don't casually joke about murdering people of different ethnicities than me, nor do I undermine civil rights movements.

Also, you're right that there's no reason to get fired up about this. The officer got fired. As far as anyone is concerned, this particular incident has been handled.

Alebrije

Ah internet rage, fire everyone at the smallest mistake. None of us would have a job if the internet had its way. Plenty of real police incidents to get fired up about. This is not one of them.

y8K7PcakTeJ2Ir1IlWHYJUV_ncOIWzuZ6M86c5Jaa6E3ytxJuHSLV3X5oJCVtjUC3sR-150KPap04QOsT1bOhdwPiMDBt-skKwz-Asy8=w511-h288-nc

ISOM

No its was stupid and the officer should apologize and be reprimanded for his actions. No I do not think he should be fired or imprisoned.

These are people's lives man. I don't know how you can think this is a situation that a reprimand would be enough.

If he feels it's funny to joke about slaughtering black people, why should I believe he'll actually do his job to protect a black citizen when it comes to fulfilling his actual job? Just because he claims he was joking?

Mael

Anything short of cordiality is expected of LEOs.
If they can't handle the pressure and can't respect even the lowest of the people they interact with, they absolutely cannot be trusted to do their work, let alone be trusted with a deadly weapon.
Fire this incompetent fool and anyone who is willing to go to bat for that kind of behavior.

darscot

These are people's lives man. I don't know how you can think this is a situation that a reprimand would be enough.

No ones life was ever at risk. If this was the US I would have a different opinion. It wasn't the US the Police don't even have guns. I do not see any threat, I see a cop trying to be casual and create a rapport with a suspect. He did a shitty job and failed.

Is the casual swearing in the UK as common as it seems? It seems like they're always (jokingly?) calling each other cunts and telling each other to fuck off. I kind of dig it but you do that in America and you're going to get some sideways looks from unhappy people at best.

Slayven

No ones life was ever at risk. If this was the US I would have a different opinion. It wasn't the US the Police don't even have guns. Ido not see any threat, I see a cop trying to be casual and create a repor with a suspect. He did a shitty job and failed.

Who the hell creates a rapport by causally threatening to kill somebody? Then mocking the movement that is trying to save people like him?

saying you would shoot someone is usually an easy way to get fired from most jobs. dude absolutely should get canned for that. public servants need to be held to higher standards than average, not the batshit low ones that they currently are.

No ones life was ever at risk. If this was the US I would have a different opinion. It wasn't the US the Police don't even have guns. I do not see any threat, I see a cop trying to be casual and create a repor with a suspect. He did a shitty job and failed.

But black people will be at risk at some point as citizens in a city where crimes can take place. No one was at risk now but if this cop is casual about expressing a disdain for black people why believe he will protect a black person when they actually are at risk? Like if a surgeon "joked" that he fantasized about just slicing people open and letting them bleed out on the operating table till they died, a reasonable person would either want that surgeon fired or look for a different one or both.

Coolluck

He's a police officer. That kind of racism has no place with people with that kind of authority. There's no reason he shouldn't be fired. It shouldn't take violence for something to be done. This is a fortunate example of finding one of the many many many many bad apples before they do something irreversible.

Your mindset here is baffling.

Derwind

Nah, someone on the front line of energency services should not joke about killing black people. This isn't a little slip-up as you like to frame it.

darscot

Is the casual swearing in the UK as common as it seems? It seems like they're always (jokingly?) calling each other cunts and telling each other to fuck off. I kind of dig it but you do that in America and you're going to get some sideways looks from unhappy people at best.

In my experience they do, I work with a few guys from the UK and whenever they do presentation they will apologize upfront and ask for forgiveness if they drop a cunt or two many fucks. This is a fairly professional environment speaking in front of like a hundred people.

jett

D-Member
The cops are being polite and cordial. It was clearly sarcasm and not a threat in any way. That is how I took it anyway. Maybe it was in bad taste but I don't think anything more than an apology and verbal reprimand is required here.

Honestly that's how the video appeared to me too. Seemed like they were all having a laugh, as the brits say. I'm not sure the atmosphere in that video could be any more relaxed. People are needlessly jumping on you in this thread.

I don't think it matters if this was meant to be a joke. This isn't something an officer should ever joke about and if they think this is an okay thing to say, regardless of context, then I don't think they're fit for the job.

Ponn

Banned
Honestly that's how the video appeared to me too. Seemed like they were all having a laugh, as the brits say. I'm not sure the atmosphere in that video could be any more relaxed. People are needlessly jumping on you in this thread.

Surrounded by cops using their intimidation, threatening to kill someone in a position of power and casually using BLM as a joke showing disrespect and disdain for that group. Guy looked super relaxed dragging on his cigarette surrounded by cops.

Fucking hilarious shit man, just a prank bro!

And once again the cops standing around not saying shit have no accountability.

darscot

Its just context people don't want to actually think. They read the thread title and their mind is made up.

RPGCrazied

Cops never lose their jobs. They lie, cheat, steal and flat out murder but in most cases don't lose their jobs.

That's a problem and its never going to get better doing it this way.

Slayven

Its just context people don't want to actually think. They read the thread title and their mind is made up.

What context makes it alright for a police officer to say "If I had a gun I would shoot you"?

Cops never lose their jobs. They lie, cheat, steal and flat out murder but in most cases don't lose their jobs.

That's a problem and its never going to get better doing it this way.

White supremacy is a hell of a drug

That wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be.

Cop should know better but it was just inappropriate banter.

The BLM mention was the grosser part. Poor taste.

Having an Independent Police Complaints Commission sounds like an incredible idea. Lets get one of these in the USA. Plus it would create a huge amount of jobs to staff up for the number of complaints in the USA.

Some cities in the US have independent review offices for their police force, but they are the exception. They're usually called the office of inspector general.

darscot

What context makes it alright for a police officer to say "If I had a gun I would shoot you"?

White supremacy is a hell of a drug

Dude we get your point, its your thread and you want it to be all controversial and racial. Now your dropping white supremacy. I think you used a bad example and are getting carried away. That being said I'll leave you to it.

You're right about context. The context, in this case, is that black people have actually been killed by police and evaded justice. There are a multitude of families who have empty spots in their lives because of racist cops and an unempathetic system that allows it to continue unaddressed. The current climate of people claiming that there's "a war against cops" only exists because of decades upon decades of built-up mistrust between law enforcement and communities who rightfully do not trust they will be protected when it actually matters. This shit isn't a fucking joke.

kkk and the police really aren't that far off.

But I agree that the context is a joke, and is really between the people in that room.

He does not have a gun. That is the whole point. How can you threaten to shoot someone when you have no access to a gun. If he had a magic wand he would turn him into a toad is about as threatening. This does not take place in the United States, context is key. The guy is chillin on his coach casually having a smoke, I think he will recover from the trauma.

I don't carry a gun in my job but if I said to someone that I wanted to kill them, I'd be fired and would probably have the police called on me.

darscot

You're right about context. The context, in this case, is that black people have actually been killed by police and evaded justice. There are a multitude of families who have empty spots in their lives because of racist cops and an unempathetic system that allows it to continue unaddressed. The current climate of people claiming that there's "a war against cops" only exists because of decades upon decades of built-up mistrust between law enforcement and communities who rightfully do not trust they will be protected when it actually matters. This shit isn't a fucking joke.

I would love to see the receipts for police shooting blacks in the UK.

Again this isn't about simply having a gun and shooting someone. Why should a black citizen trust this specific cop to protect them if they are willing to joke about killing them?

Slayven

Dude we get your point, its your thread and you want it to be all controversial and racial. Now your dropping white supremacy. I think you used a bad example and are getting carried away. That being said I'll leave you to it.

So once again you can't defend your point. I didn't make it racial, the cop being racist made it racial.

A cop causally threaten to kill someone, how is that a bad example?

And we are at the "I am out" stage. Like clock work

jett

D-Member
Surrounded by cops using their intimidation, threatening to kill someone in a position of power and casually using BLM as a joke showing disrespect and disdain for that group. Guy looked super relaxed dragging on his cigarette surrounded by cops.

Fucking hilarious shit man, just a prank bro!

And once again the cops standing around not saying shit have no accountability.

It's inappropriate for sure.

Or you could say the context in this case is that it happened in the UK where there have been less than 50 killings by law enforcement this century.

What you said is correct, in America.

Slayven

Not shooting, but a lot of black men just up and die while being held in custody

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/sep/03/police-custody-deaths-black-men

The family of a black man who died after being restrained by police are launching a campaign this week for the officers involved to be suspended pending investigations.

The campaign, to be launched on Thursday by the family of Edson da Costa, comes as the Observer reveals worrying new witness accounts of incidents leading to the deaths of Da Costa and three other black men since June.

The campaign is adding to pressure on the Home Office to publish immediately the results of an independent inquiry into deaths in custody and racial disproportionality amid allegations that the home secretary, Amber Rudd, is sitting on its findings.

The police watchdog, the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) is investigating all four cases, though its reports are not expected until next year. So far this year, six black and ethnic minority individuals have died in police custody, compared with two last year. The funeral of Edson, 25, was held in east London on Friday, his family describing how his ”death came as a huge shock and has had a great impact on our family." Weeks after Edson died his mother, Manuela Araujo, 45, died suddenly, a tragedy the family believe was caused by the circumstances surrounding her son's death.

darscot

So once again you can't defend your point. I didn't make it racial, the cop being racist made it racial.

A cop causally threaten to kill someone, how is that a bad example?

And we are at the "I am out" stage. Like clock work

Dude, feel free to PM me. My view and points are clearly in the thread. You see this very differently than I did. There is no way to prove either point. Its about perspective, it is not possible to prove either of us right or wrong. Was the guy joking or was the guy a racist and threatening to kill someone. There is no way to win this. Just let your thread move on.

Slayven

Dude, feel free to PM me. My view and points are clearly in the thread. You see this very differently than I did. There is no way to prove either point. Its about perspective, it is not possible to prove either of us right or wrong. Was the guy joking or was the guy a racist and threatening to kill someone. There is no way to win this. Just let your thread move on.

Not like there is video, sure if you want to ignore it or handwave it away that is on you

Damon

Smallest mistake? Is everything okay at home? Are you feeling okay?

smisk

Having an Independent Police Complaints Commission sounds like an incredible idea. Lets get one of these in the USA. Plus it would create a huge amount of jobs to staff up for the number of complaints in the USA.

My county (Fairfax, VA) recently established some type of civilian review panel for our police force after they killed a mentally ill man a couple years ago. Not sure how it's working but it seems like a good idea.

Or you could say the context in this case is that it happened in the UK where there have been less than 50 killings by law enforcement this century.

What you said is correct, in America.

Institutional racism in regards to law enforcement isn't only about killing. I mentioned those communities trusting law enforcement because their mistrust doesn't only stem from black death but also being harassed, wrongfully arrested, ignored, minimized etc. A mentality of racism doesn't only express itself violently which is why this situation is a problem.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
When "he didn't shoot the guy," is the optimistic version of scenario. Doesn't that tell you about the police institutionalized power struggle?

Thought he was being funny but it's really not something to joke about. Why bring race into it?
Because the police are racist.

Just because the British police don't have as many guns, doesn't mean they're magically better than Americans. If these cops don't get fired and are just on suspension, it's still the same problem for lack of accountability.

The racism in the Midlands is pretty bad, compared to other places in the UK I've lived (not saying it's the worst mind). I hope this guy is swiftly dealt with.

Also, how nice it must be to have an independent body to submit such complaints to.

At best, this is a person of power making light of racist police from another country executing people without reason. At best, everyone in the video is in on a sick joke about racism and police brutality.

When taking into consideration the possibility the guy taking video was laughing out of nervousness/fear, the cops have negative views of BLM, and that they wish they could kill him and get away with, it becomes even worse.

Don't get why anyone feels the need to get defensive over this being called out as shitty.

If the police threatened you with murder, would you be talking like this?
The cops are being polite and cordial. It was clearly sarcasm and not a threat in any way. That is how I took it anyway. Maybe it was in bad taste but I don't think anything more than an apology and verbal reprimand is required here. Is the guy even black?

I think it makes it very obvious it was a joke. Unarmed Police in the UK asking a white guy if he is going to go BLM on us. If this isn't sarcasm I don't know what is. The article says he was black, I was just looking at his hands and he appeared fair skinned.
Jack Chambers is black.
59b94ddc1a00007100f067e0.jpeg

C'mon, do some reading before you go on your kneejerk responses to defend racist police.
And like I said the guy should apologize and be reprimanded.

He does not have a gun. That is the whole point. How can you threaten to shoot someone when you have no access to a gun. If he had a magic wand he would turn him into a toad is about as threatening. This does not take place in the United States, context is key. The guy is chillin on his coach casually having a smoke, I think he will recover from the trauma.

No ones life was ever at risk. If this was the US I would have a different opinion. It wasn't the US the Police don't even have guns. I do not see any threat, I see a cop trying to be casual and create a rapport with a suspect. He did a shitty job and failed.

Let me put it from a business perspective. If you work for a company and you say something shitty like this to a client, you deserved to get fired. You are a person employed to uphold the law. Making dumb shitty jokes, especially in this awful climate, means you absolutely deserve the axe.

jonno394

They were having the sort of back and forth that tries to diffuse situations.

The guy on the couch states "I've been seeing all sorts of videos I have" (note: he probably hasn't and is on the wind up) and the office jokes "you gonna go Black lives Matter on us" (everyone laughs, even the guy on the couch) with regards to the dude on the couch potentially going off on one. The guy on the couch even lets out a chuckle about the shooting comment just before the cut, no-one was being at all serious.

An apology should be made and that's that imo.

It's actually pretty easy to prove who is right and who is wrong. If you're a cop, you don't go around joking about murdering civilians, or anyone for that matter. Open and shut case. You're wrong.

Slayven

They were having the sort of back and forth that tries to diffuse situations.

The guy on the couch states "I've been seeing all sorts of videos I have" (note: he probably hasn't and is on the wind up) and the office jokes "you gonna go Black lives Matter on us" (everyone laughs, even the guy on the couch) with regards to the dude on the couch potentially going off on one. The guy on the couch even lets out a chuckle about the shooting comment just before the cut, no-one was being at all serious.

An apology should be made and that's that imo.

Interesting you would say that

Top Bottom