• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video shows Ohio cop punching a black man in the face

Do you disagree with anything I said? Would you care to elaborate how resisting is a better option than complying with what the police tells you?
So let's say the guy resisted like you said you saw. Does that then justify the cop IMMEDIATELY slamming the guy into the car and then kicking him to the ground? How about using your physical training to over power and subdue? None of that went down, the cop went right to physical violence. There wasn't even a shred of just trying to control him.
Nah, fuck that. Let's just beat the hell out of him.

Also this was after he had already given him his keys to his car which I have never ever been asked to do even when I've been in an accident.

But yeah slightly flexing his arm is resisting and worthy of getting a beatdown.

Also strange how the dash cam never actually shows him blowing through the stop sign.

Nafai1123

Banned
I'm spanish. I've only been once to the U.S. and didn't have any trouble with the police. So no, I have never been in the situation. But when I went to the U.S. I knew if the police ever stopped me, asked me for my id, to get out of the car or whatever, I would just comply. What else can you do?

Oh, so you're not even from this country and have no basis for your opinion.

Cops shouldn't ask you to leave your vehicle for running a stop unless they suspect something, and they certainly don't immediately grab your fucking arm and try to muscle you into the car as soon as you stand up. Don't pretend to know shit you know nothing about.

His girl is yelling at him to stop?????
Cause she's stressed and worried her man is gunna be another cop killing statistic. I mean, once someone starts punching me I'm going to fight back too regardless of the uniform, that's just a natural reaction.

Cause she's stressed and worried her man is gunna be another cop killing statistic. I mean, once someone starts punching me I'm going to fight back too regardless of the uniform, that's just a natural reaction.

It is but at some point you have to use your brain, that person has a gun and there is a high chance they will kill you if you attack them.

Slayven

http://fox8.com/2017/08/15/iteam-mentor-records-show-officer-in-euclid-arrest-was-forced-to-resign/

The Fox 8 I-Team has received documents from the City of Mentor that Officer Michael Amiott was forced to resign from the department, after officials say he was caught lying on a police report.

The documents were released to the I-Team following a public’s record request.

“After reviewing the internal investigation, listening to the interviews and watching the complete video I made the determination that Ptl. Amiott made a false statement in his police report,” stated Chief Kevin Knight, in a letter dated April 3, 2014. “At no time from the moment Plt. Amiott pulled out to follow the vehicle in question until it was stopped did I observe anything closely remote to weaving.”

The letter further stated that when Amiott was told by the Mentor chief that his employment would end, he asked if he could resign and the city agreed.

According to files, Amiott was asked why he initiated a traffic stop on Feb. 22, 2014 in Mentor. He first told a sergeant he made the stop because the car did not have a front plate. When his supervisor told him a car with a dealer plate does not have to have a front plate, he then said the car was weaving. It is not known if Euclid police knew about this case when he was hired as a patrol officer.

Oh well now

So he essentially got fired for lying about what his victim had or did, instead of being fired for brain the shit out of him? I mean I'm glad that asshole is out of a job but I hope he gets charged with assault or something.

So he essentially got fired for lying about what his victim had or did, instead of being fired for brain the shit out of him? I mean I'm glad that asshole is out of a job but I hope he gets charged with assault or something.
He was fired from a different PD and presumably just packed his shit and applied in a another city.
How he didn't have a mark on his record for being fired the first time, I don't heckin know.

As a Clevelander who knows cops in the area and has friends going into academy-this is really tough to see.

Edit:to be clear I don't know this guy. Euclid is a few cities over from me.

So let's say the guy resisted like you said you saw. Does that then justify the cop IMMEDIATELY slamming the guy into the car and then kicking him to the ground? How about using your physical training to over power and subdue? None of that went down, the cop went right to physical violence. There wasn't even a shred of just trying to control him.
Nah, fuck that. Let's just beat the hell out of him.
We didn't see the same video. The cop is apparently behaving politely but the tone of his voice indicates a bit of an attitude. Like he is pretending to be polite but, at the same time, trying to establish who is in charge. The driver doesn't like what the police is saying, tries to question his actions, and must also have shown some kind of attitude right before the cop said 'why so upset'. At this point, I imagine the cop must be thinking 'this guy is hiding something and is going to resist', and the driver is thinking 'this guy is an asshole and is stopping me because I'm black'.

Then, the cop tried to grab the drivers hand probably to handcuff him, the driver resisted, and there we go!

Obviously the cops used much more violence than needed. Even if the driver was resisting, he wasn't a menace that deserved being punched in the face so many times. The cop had him under control when he was on top of him. At that point I think the cop lost it because he was pissed off. And he must have been thinking 'OK, if you won't stop resisting, I will beat you up until you stop'.

That's why I said resisting never makes sense. If you resist, then they can kick your ass. If you don't resist and they kick your ass, they are in trouble.

If you don't "resist" you can still be fucking shot and have the officer get off scot free. I wonder what the point of typing up that paragraph was, especially now that we know the cop is a habitual liar.

We didn't see the same video. The cop is apparently behaving politely but the tone of his voice indicates a bit of an attitude. Like he is pretending to be polite but, at the same time, trying to establish who is in charge. The driver doesn't like what the police is saying, tries to question his actions, and must also have shown some kind of attitude right before the cop said 'why so upset'. At this point, I imagine the cop must be thinking 'this guy is hiding something and is going to resist', and the driver is thinking 'this guy is an asshole and is stopping me because I'm black'.

Then, the cop tried to grab the drivers hand probably to handcuff him, the driver resisted, and there we go!

Obviously the cops used much more violence than needed. Even if the driver was resisting, he wasn't a menace that deserved being punched in the face so many times. The cop had him under control when he was on top of him. At that point I think the cop lost it because he was pissed off. And he must have been thinking 'OK, if you won't stop resisting, I will beat you up until you stop'.

That's why I said resisting never makes sense. If you resist, then they can kick your ass. If you don't resist and they kick your ass, they are in trouble.
When they step out of the car the cop grabs the dude, tries to turn him around, obviously faces a bit of resistance, and then goes right to violence. You're justifying the violence for some reason just because the man did just roll over like the cop wanted.

That's some true fuck shit. You're wrong, period.

If you don't "resist" you can still be fucking shot and have the officer get off scot free. I wonder what the point of typing up that paragraph was, especially now that we know the cop is a habitual liar.
If you don't smoke you can still get lung cancer. But if you smoke it's much more likely. So that's why you shouldn't smoke.

Exactly. If someone tries to grab you, it's a natural reaction to pull away, doesn't mean you should be beat within an inch of your life because of it. Philando Castile is a prime example of someone black doing all the right things and still being killed by police.

Also besides his "resisting" not even bring noticeable, there is zero reason it ever should have gotten to that point. Ever.

Nephtis

The fact that he could *ask* to resign rather than being fired and the city fucking agreeing is disgusting.

Hell no you shouldn't get to resign. You should get to be fired and have assault charges thrown your way, you cunt.

Cipherr

***Officer beats the shit out of guy***

Mr. "Both sides": Wow he really should have complied better

Police Dept: Officer was WAY out of line. Suspended immediately while we investigate more.

Mr. "Both sides": Yep, definitely should have complied so much faster.

Police Dept: Not only was he out of line, but he lied on the Police Report too!

Mr. "Both sides": Secondhand smoke though.

Police Dept: We fucking went to fire the guy for this and he resigned first dude...

Mr. "Both sides": Just can't see why someone would bring this on themselves. It's so strange.

mb7bEoo.png

PRBoricua

People saying "just comply and fight it in court" ... have you not noticed that nobody convicts cops of anything in this country? Under what circumstances, even if the man did not resist makes people think that anything would be decided in his favor?? That's just not going to happen. Ever.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

Police Dept: Officer was WAY out of line. Suspended immediately while we investigate more.

Police Dept: We fucking went to fire the guy for this and he resigned first dude...

Mr. "Both sides": Just can't see why someone would bring this on themselves. It's so strange.

mb7bEoo.png

Gaf: Have you been paying attention at all to the cop relations in this country?

Mr. "Both sides": Ohh, I'm not American.

Volimar

Gaf: Have you been paying attention at all to the cop relations in this country?

Mr. "Both sides": Ohh, I'm not American.

Dude, I went to America once and wasn't hassled at all. I don't know why you people claim it's so bad.

Slayven

In the USA resisitng police includes:

Looking them in the eye
Holding a puppy
Pulling out your wallet when they command you to
Asking them for proof they are a cop when they are in plain clothes
Being in a nice car

I could literally go on all day

shandy706

Also this was after he had already given him his keys to his car which I have never ever been asked to do even when I've been in an accident.

But yeah slightly flexing his arm is resisting and worthy of getting a beatdown.

Also strange how the dash cam never actually shows him blowing through the stop sign.

He probably didnt.

My girlfriend drives a black Honda with tinted windows. She left my house the other night and actually pulled out behind a police car. After about a half a mile he pulls off the side of the road and she goes around him. After a few seconds he comes flying back up on her car. He follows her for about a mile, and then turns off into a church parking lot.

She has never been in a wreck and it has been like 15 years since she had a ticket.

She comes to a stop sign and literally counts to "5 one-thousand". (that part made me laugh)

What isn't funny is she pulled out and started driving when suddenly blue lights lit up behind her. The guy had apparently driven into the church and then pulled out again to pull her over.

When she stopped he asked her where she was going. Asked her why her windows were tinted so dark. Asked her where she came from. Some of the questions were really strange. He also asked her how long she had been at my house.

She asked him why he pulled her over and he said that she had ran the stop sign. That was a straight up lie.

He gave her a warning and walked away.

I'd bet a million bucks he pulled her over just because of the tinted windows.

mb7bEoo.png
Mr. "Both sides": The cop didn't lie in the report of the beating we saw on the video. That was another report in another city. Obviously the cop is a piece of shit, he has anger management issues and has already been caught lying in a report. He shouldn't be a cop anywhere ever again.

That doesn't change the fact that the victim resisting wasn't a smart move. Even his girlfriend was telling him to stop. Is she also victim blaming? Is she a racist? She said that because it was better for him. I'm saying the same thing. If you resist, you can end up beaten, tasered or even shot to dead. The cop will get a paid leave and be back in 2 weeks. Is resisting ever worth it?

MastAndo

As someone who thinks this whole "all cops are like that" sentiment is ridiculous, the abuse here is clear as day and hard to watch. The officer had no right to go after him like that. There was no resisting.

Top Bottom