• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video released of Tulsa PD shooting and killing unarmed black man (Up: not guilty)

Status
Not open for further replies.

koji kabuto

pxRY3sC.gif

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Isn't this shooting the one where he had his hands up and walked back to his car and then got shot? If it is, the pcp wasn't doing what it normally does, which is make the person go nuts.
You think that matters? He's black and had drugs in his system.

If I could bet I would bet money she gets acquitted, no problem.

Garlador

Well that's a wrap for this one. Coroner says he had PCP in his system.

http://nyti.ms/2dU0Dbi
An autopsy report released Tuesday by the Oklahoma Office of the Chief Medical Examiner said that Mr. Crutcher’s body had 96 nanograms of PCP per milliliter of blood. That is a high level, according to drug studies, which have found that hallucinations can occur at much lower concentrations, but the studies also show that the correlation between blood levels of the drug and intoxication is loose at best.

... Yeah, this doesn't bode well.

NimbusD

Shouldn't matter if he had drugs in his system. He was unarmed and non threatening. Yet this will someone be used as a reason he should've been murdered, and the officer given their job back like nothing happened.
Yeah pretty much.

If you're incapacitated in any way it's free range for the police to do whatever they want. Just look at when they shot the man accidentally trying to shoot an autistic kid who wast following their orders.

Doesn't matter if you're non threatening. Of you act in any way they don't immediately comprehend, they'll shoot and figure out a reason and justification later. The dude could have been on weed for all it matters.

Well that's a wrap for this one. Coroner says he had PCP in his system.

http://nyti.ms/2dU0Dbi

Seeing these things from start to finish is amazing. You can totally predict what's gonna happen. Now even though the autopsy is irrelevant to what the video showed she will assert her "expert" drug sniffing training alerted her a man with his hands up against his car on PCP was too much of a threat to leave alive.

Joke system.

So, she appeared on 60 Minutes and...

The videos show Shelby shoot Crutcher in his side as he is standing next to his vehicle.

Shelby said she remembers the exact moment.

“It’s like slow motion,” she said. “Me bringing my gun up, my finger coming in, and then letting off. And he stopped and then he just slowly fell to the ground.”

She explains to reporter Bill Whitaker that she shot Crutcher because she thought he lowered his hand to possibly reach through his vehicle’s window — a claim that is not clearly shown in available footage.

“His shoulders drop, his arm drops, and he’s reaching in and it’s fast,” Shelby said. “Just that would tell any officer that that man’s going for a weapon.”

No weapon was found in the vehicle or on Crutcher, however.

While viewing the video, Shelby told Whitaker that as Crutcher walked away from her toward his SUV she was thinking to herself, “Don’t do this. Please don’t do this. Don’t make this happen.”

Shelby says the video shows Crutcher looking back at her as he stood near his SUV, something police refer to as “targeting.”

“So he’s getting my position, my last known location, to retrieve and then shoot,” she said.

Shelby said she used a “louder, more intense voice” to try to get Crutcher to obey her.

“ ‘Stop. Stop! Stop!’ and he didn’t,” Shelby said. “And that’s when I took aim.”

Crutcher was responsible for his own death, Shelby said.

“If he would have complied, if he would have communicated with me, if he would have just done as I asked him to do, we would not be here,” she said.

Oh, and there's this as well

Shelby feels she has been misunderstood and treated as an enemy.

“My situation was no different than ... a lynch mob coming after me,” Shelby said.

“I never wanted to kill anyone,” she said. “I saw a threat and I used the force I felt necessary to stop a threat.”

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/loca...cle_fa3ea361-d4b4-5bc5-8d67-b2b49ba60499.html

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
They should just put "Comply or Die" on the side of their cruisers. Seriously, that's your defense?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
But like he was already being tased. I call bullshit and if it was such an obvious omg shoot the guy moment with deadly force why was she the only one to do it. Freaking failure

Shelby says the video shows Crutcher looking back at her as he stood near his SUV, something police refer to as “targeting.”

“So he’s getting my position, my last known location, to retrieve and then shoot,” she said.

So just looking at an officer while black is all it takes now? It wasn't bad enough that eye contact was considered an immediate threat of violence, now you can't look at a cop at all or they'll shoot you?

What is wrong with people? Jesus Christ

So just looking at an officer while black is all it takes now? It wasn't bad enough that eye contact was considered an immediate threat of violence, now you can't look at a cop at all or they'll shoot you?

What is wrong with people? Jesus Christ

Yep. Any fucking excuse to justify confronting. Any fucking excuse to justify fear. Any fucking excuse to justify killing. It's a living parody and yet people will still come out of the woodwork asking "Why are black people so angry?"

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So she literally shot him because he looked at her funny.

Like, that's her actual defense.

Sorry, wasn't his door window shut? When he gets shot blood is dripping down the whole shut window.

This defense will probably work because of Americas centuries old "poor pure white lady vs homicidal raging Negro" narrative.

So she literally shot him because he looked at her funny.

Like, that's her actual defense.

Well the actual defense is that in a country in which any person can have a gun in their car or waistband, you're always two seconds away from being shot at. So they seem to have all of this training based on body language and hand position that seems to make it so that disobeying one verbal order to a suspect to move their hands automatically justifies shooting.

So when it comes time to justify it to their superiors or a grand jury, I think they're accurate that what they did was consistent with their training. But the training almost seems to err on the side of shooting.

Well the actual defense is that in a country in which any person can have a gun in their car or waistband, you're always two seconds away from being shot at. So they seem to have all of this training based on body language and hand position that seems to make it so that disobeying one verbal order to a suspect to move their hands automatically justifies shooting.

So when it comes time to justify it to their superiors or a grand jury, I think they're accurate that what they did was consistent with their training. But the training almost seems to err on the side of shooting.

Another supposedly similar trained officer arrives on the scene and chooses a non-lethal option. If all officers are similarly trained and equipped, why was that not her first option?

For fuck's sake, when will things start to change.

When minority lives become unquestionably equal. When white supremacists stop populating the legal system from the ground level to the courts. When society in general stops automatically treating officers as heroes rather than people who have a job that should be expected to have a lot of accountability. When the words of the disenfranchised are considered worthwhile and even more valuable than those of the oblivious majority. When racial stereotypes about the "deadly negro" stop being perpetrated and believed as fact. When people stop pushing the struggle of civil rights as a war that's already been one. When groups like the KKK, NeoNazis and other white supremacists stop being treated as men and women just expressing "a different opinion". And on. There's a lot that needs to be done. It might seem hopeless but it's a battle that needs to continue without question. Because things have changed before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom