• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Variety: Ed Helms Firing Up ‘The Naked Gun’ Reboot for Paramount

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Not that I need to see Steve Carrell in anymore movies, but I woulda assumed he was one of the more ideal choices for this.

The studio has tapped the scripting team of Thomas Lennon and R. Ben Garant — best known for the “Night at the Museum” and “Reno 911″ franchises, to write the screenplay as a new spin on the Drebin character.

Hopes of good script rising .... (more for their involvement in The State & Reno 911!)

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Nobody could ever capture the perfect deadpan that Nielsen did, without him the whole style of comedy would be a failure.

Ed Helms as Drebin? Just totally stupid, as bad as Steve Martin in the Pink Panther reboot.

Sorcerer

Nobody could ever capture the perfect deadpan that Nielsen did, without him the whole style of comedy would be a failure.

Ed Helms as Drebin? Just totally stupid, as bad as Steve Martin in the Pink Panther reboot.

Leslie Nielsen was lighting in a bottle.

Everything about him was perfect for the Airplane/Police squad type of comedy. His look, his delivery, his timing.

It will be impossible to match him.

Yet, I love these type of movies. I would like to see a renaissance of this type of comedy (done well of course).

I will patiently await and hope for the best.

deleted

Don't you dare! Don't you do it! Not him and not this movie!

I might be ok with it, if it leads to a revial of this kind of movie - even if I don't believe it

30 Rock's top seasons are the only thing that have come even close to Naked Gun style rapid fire deadpan humor in recent memory. It's a really hard form of comedy to master.

Yeah, get it wrong just a little bit and it becomes super lame. Like so many of the movies that did try and copy what they'd done.

nielsen was definitely the best at it, but he's certainly not the only one to have done it well.

Mr Tigerblood himself Charlie Sheen did a good job in Hot Shots. And the guy who acted opposite him, I forget who. But again, that's down to the people behind the camera and who wrote the script who know exactly what to go for.

I think Nathan Fillion would be better than Helms. Seriously.

Or Jon Hamm. That guy need to be the lead in a comedy, like yesterday.

Ed Helms is a comedy black hole. He is consistently the worst part of any project he's invoved with. The Daly Show improved after he left. The Office turned to shit after he bacame the center of the show. He was the Once-ler in the abomination remake of the Lorax. He is the fucking worst. The Hangover would have been better if he was replaced by Jamie Kennedy. Hell, he even ruined that cute Mumford and Sons video.
Fuck him, and the idea that he cold play Frank Drebin is guaranteed to be the dumbest thing I hear all day.

deleted

I think Nathan Fillion would be better than Helms. Seriously.

Or Jon Hamm. That guy need to be the lead in a comedy, like yesterday.

Both guys would work infinitely better. Surely I could take this reboot more serious with a better actor at the helm.

8qzMDEc.jpg

Let's put a stop to this GAF!

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
It would be better served to have an actor who has been in alot of cop shows or movies.

Time for a Christopher Meloni vehicle production.

Hoodbury

I like Helms and all and love the Naked Gun movies but I just don't think this type of comedy would work in today's world.

B.K.

The project probably won't go anywhere, just like the reboot/sequel of National Lampoon's Vacation that he was supposed to star in.

massoluk

Banned
This can't be good. It's Leslie Nielson's demeanor and awkward gags that made those films. It's not like those films can age.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
If I'd trust anybody with this it might be the Reno 911 guys. But Jesus fuck this is so uncalled for. Are we going to start getting reboots of shit like Ace Ventura? The series is defined by Neilson, this is so fucking stupid.

SimleuqiR

Michael Vick takes his place

No thank you.

tumblr_m9fyjpI7E71rd7dv3o1_400.gif

We have perfectly good actors for this role, that can do comedy.

I don't really care for a remake, reboot. At the very least, could they just do another subject other than cops/detectives?

Children's Hospital seems to be more of this type of comedy done right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom