• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does 'Game Of Thrones' Help Keep Hollywood Blockbusters White?

kmfdmpig

Has there been a Game of Throne actor thats gone on and done something good?

Five of them (Tywin, Davos, Roose Bolton, Jorah, and Doran Martel) were on Strike Back, which was great.

In terms of movies that came out after GoT blew up - nothing stands out as particularly good to me.

danm999

It's changing a tiny bit in the era of "Peak TV". Or, at the very least, Hollywood is more okay with mining popular TV shows as a source for hopefully cheaper lead movie talent (as in, you're paying a well-known TV actor less as the lead in you movie than a well-known movie actor).

Considering the recent reports of writers and directors from things such as Stranger Things and other shows getting picked for movies (ie Russos for Cap and Avengers), and more big directors and actors getting involved in shows on HBO, Starz, Netflix, Amazon, etc...I feel like that's not true anymore. Or at least less true

That's interesting. I guess the success of things like Netflix becomes impossible to deny at a certain point.

Gorillaz

He probably got more roles from it, but I always remember him from this

91xC6uiryfL._SX522_.jpg

I forgot if this movie was good or not. It had it's moments I think right? Plus we got a martin sighting.

Gattsu25

Banned
Putting Game of Thrones in the thread title is basically a click bait.

Thread title & article title both accurately portrays the gist of the article. Article itself is not zero effort.,

You may disagree with the thesis of the article but this is a textbook "Not Clickbait" example.

No? Whether GoT existed or not this would still be an issue. Hollywood tried to make Sam Worthington, Taylor Kitsch and Jai Courtney a thing. They're trying to make Alexandra Daddario a thing and she's the most basic white person ever

At least the people from Game of Thrones are actually pretty decent.

Has there been a Game of Throne actor thats gone on and done something good?
Mystique: Days of Future Past isn't the greatest movie but it's good

Peter Dinklage was in it.

Maissie WIlliams was in The Falling, not the worst film ever and certainly better than Terminator.

She also had a solid run in Doctor Who as Me.

As a petite woman, she's got a nice niche for 'girl who looks young enough to be a teen' that she can ride for the next few years. Helps that she seems to be a solid enough actress.

kswiston

She also had a solid run in Doctor Who as Me.

As a petite woman, she's got a nice niche for 'girl who looks young enough to be a teen' that she can ride for the next few years. Helps that she seems to be a solid enough actress.

Masie Williams is the next in Fox's line of GOT stars turned x-men universe characters.

Zoe

You mean the more successful, original 3 years earlier!

Death-at-a-funeral-poster.jpg

He was more of a gag than a character in these movies, wasn't he?

The first time I saw (noticed) him was in the original movie, but he didn't make an impression on me until Nip/Tuck.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
No, Hollywood is keeping Blockbuster casting white.

At the end of the day, it's old money and old thinking that still believes that only white faces on the big screen are audience draws, despite many minority led films showing otherwise.

Audiences care more about quality entertainment than the color of the lead's skin, but Producers and filmmakers don't seem to care, and they'll continue to discriminate during casting calls and short lists, then fall back to the tried and true, "we hired the best person for the job" excuse. Funny how the "best person for the job" is almost never a minority.

I think television casting is actually a little better in that regard than film casting. It still has a long way to go, but I see more tv shows with people of color as leads than films these days.

I'm still salty that Donny Yen never got a bigger push in the west, and he finally snags a role in Star Wars, in his fifties, and it's a one off role. But I digress.

Game of Thrones isn't the cause of this, but it's another potential symptom of the overall problem Hollywood has with casting people of color in lead roles.

He was the first Daario and was only in three episodes in one season before the part was recast (I've heard various reasons as to why).

Ed-Skrein-Daario-Game-Of-Thrones-e1441588289185.jpg

What were the various reasons why? I think I remember the writers trying to claim he had other opportunities he wanted to pursue, and Daario later saying that wasn't true and it was behind the scenes politics.

No, Hollywood is keeping Blockbuster casting white.

At the end of the day, it's old money and old thinking that still believes that only white faces on the big screen are audience draws, despite many minority led films showing otherwise.

Audiences care more about quality entertainment than the color of the lead's skin, but Producers and filmmakers don't seem to care, and they'll continue to discriminate during casting calls and short lists, then fall back to the tried and true, "we hired the best person for the job excuse." Funny how the "best person for the job is almost never a minority."

I think television casting is actually a little better in that regard than film casting. It still has a long way to go, but I see more tv shows with people of color as leads than films these days.

I'm still salty that Donny Yen never got a bigger push in the west, and he finally snags a role in Star Wars, in his fifties, and it's a one off role. But I digress.

Game of Thrones isn't the cause of this, but it's another potential symptom of the overall problem Hollywood has with casting people of color in lead roles.

I think Game of Thrones is a symptom of a much larger issue, however I don't think you can completely dismiss how one high profile platform can provide opportunities for another platform, in this case films, and be yet another cog in this system that churns out young White Hollywood talent.

What were the various reasons why? I think I remember the writers trying to claim he had other opportunities he wanted to pursue, and Daario later saying that wasn't true and it was behind the scenes politics.

The main ones were the two you mention - that he left to be in the Transporter movie or the "politics" which I've seen sites claim was due to issues with other cast/issues with the crew/"personal issues".

It's kind of curious that it was Skrein claiming it was politics rather than scheduling since the latter is an easy/neutral out. The first Mountain also had a scheduling conflict (the Hobbit movie) that led to the role being recast but there was similar disagreement over the "real" reason why there, too. Maybe the GoT crew/showrunners are just aggressively against dealing with scheduling issues, dunno.

Skrein didn't really impress me much in GoT, so I was a bit surprised to see him land the Transporter role.

The main ones were the two you mention - that he left to be in the Transporter movie or the "politics" which I've seen sites claim was due to issues with other cast/issues with the crew/"personal issues".

It's kind of curious that it was Skrein claiming it was politics rather than scheduling since the latter is an easy/neutral out. The first Mountain also had a scheduling conflict (the Hobbit movie) that led to the role being recast but there was similar disagreement over the "real" reason why there, too. Maybe the GoT crew/showrunners are just aggressively against dealing with scheduling issues, dunno.

Skrein didn't really impress me much in GoT, so I was a bit surprised to see him land the Transporter role.

You're right it was an easy/neutral out, because when we saw Skrein as the new Transporter it made sense.

The Station Agent is Dinklage's best film and film performance. He got quite a bit of critical acclaim from it, which no doubt opened up some opportunities after struggling a bit during the 90's.

jtb

Banned
It's the symptom, not the disease.

Though, this Confederate bullshit isn't exactly helping their cause

Aselith

I think Game of Thrones is more symptomatic than a leading cause BUT they also could have chosen to be the change we want to see in the world and keeping it mostly all white still makes them complicit.

Forkball

You see him

You don't see or hear his name though.

#StayWoke

Dinklage got a lot of acclaim for The Station Agent. That's what I first knew him from. Granted that movie came out over a decade ago and clearly GoT is his biggest project to date.

A lot of GoT actors have gotten prominent roles in, well, at least some things. You can argue whether these works are good or not, but it's clear that the popularity of the show gave more prominence to the actors. The same thing happens with any big TV show. The Friends cast popped up in movies often during the 90s/early 2000s. I don't think these actors having success in other programs and movies is leading to some domino effect of reducing minority leads. Especially not Skrien, who barely appeared and was recast as soon as possible. He's the guy from Deadpool to me.

Has Jon Snow been in anything else since the start of the show? arguably the co-main character.

Silent Hill Revelation, Pompeii, Seventh Son. and a voice in How to Train Your Dragon 2. He's been in smaller films as well.

He was lead or co in Silent Hill Revelation and Pompeii.

Top Bottom