• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Variety: Ed Helms Firing Up ‘The Naked Gun’ Reboot for Paramount

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yen

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/e...un-reboot-for-paramount-exclusive-1200950237/

Detective Frank Drebin is coming back with Ed Helms on board to portray Leslie Nielsen’s character in Paramount’s reboot of “The Naked Gun” comedy franchise.

The studio has tapped the scripting team of Thomas Lennon and R. Ben Garant — best known for the “Night at the Museum” and “Reno 911″ franchises, to write the screenplay as a new spin on the Drebin character.

Helms starred in “The Hangover” trilogy and “We’re the Millers” and recently recently wrapped “Stretch” opposite Chris Pine and Patrick Wilson. He stars in the romcom parody “They Came Together,” which will premiere at Sundance, opposite Paul Rudd and Amy Poehler.

Paramount released “The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad!” in 1988 with Nielsen battling Ricardo Montalban’s character plotting to assassinate Queen Elizabeth II at a baseball game in Los Angeles. Sequels “The Naked Gun 2½: The Smell of Fear” and “Naked Gun 33⅓: The Final Insult” followed in 1991 and 1994; the three films cumed $275 million.

1275389857_naked-gun-facepalm.gif

H3xum

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I don't hate Ed Helms or anything but no way he can pull this roll off, hes too smarmy and not unassuming enough

sohois

This would be a bad idea with talented writers.

The masterminds behind 'Night at the museum' and 'Reno 911'? Who is going to watch this shit?

The reason Leslie worked so damn well is because he was spoofing EXACTLY the kinds of characters he would play in his earlier career. You shouldn't take a comedian and put him in this role. You need to get someone who's played serious cop roles and have them be Drebin. It would be like doing a lawyer spoof movie. You don't go get Dane Cook to be the serious lawyer who spouts one liners that are hilarious. You get Sam Waterston.

But yeah, this sounds really dumb. Police Squad and Naked Gun are different from something like Get Smart (which I actually liked that remake movie...) Casting Ed Helms just seems to underline the fact that the producers just don't get it.

I've also yet to see anyone replicate what the Zuckers and Jim Abrahams, who made Naked Gun, Airplane, Hot Shots, Top Secret and all those films, did. They nailed a very specific tone.

I would love if somebody could replicate that instead of getting all these shitty modern parody movies.

Hurley

Ed Helms would have to be one of the worst choices for this role.

Leslie Nielson was that character, in every way, and picking Ed Helms of all people?

I've also yet to see anyone replicate what the Zuckers and Jim Abrahams, who made Naked Gun, Airplane, Hot Shots, Top Secret and all those films, did. They nailed a very specific tone. Good luck replicating that.

This.

Anustart

Some of my favorite movies of all time and the tv show was great too. This reboot? I can't say I have high hopes, but anything is possible.

Sorcerer

I haven't seen Ed Helms in any role that would imply he can match the dry straight man comedy that Leslie Nielsen did so well.

Never say never.

Nielsen did serious roles before Airplane/Naked Gun.

In fact in 87, in the movie Nuts with Barbara Streisand he portrays a would be rapist.

So bizarre seeing him in this role.

I am not necessarily saying Ed Helms will portray Dreben well, but Nielsen's transition into comedy seemed just as unlikely.

GCX

I've also yet to see anyone replicate what the Zuckers and Jim Abrahams, who made Naked Gun, Airplane, Hot Shots, Top Secret and all those films, did. They nailed a very specific tone. Good luck replicating that.
30 Rock's top seasons are the only thing that have come even close to Naked Gun style rapid fire deadpan humor in recent memory. It's a really hard form of comedy to master.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom