• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Variety: ‘Mortal Kombat’ Reboot Finds Director in Simon McQuoid

Article:

Simon McQuoid, best known for directing commercials, is in talks to helm the “Mortal Kombat” reboot for New Line.

James Wan is producing the movie, along with Michael Clear for Atomic Monster, and Todd Garner and Jeremy Stein through their Broken Road banner. Lawrence Kasanoff is executive producing. Greg Russo penned the most recent draft.

Based on the classic ’90s arcade game, “Mortal Kombat” has generated numerous pop culture properties, including the best-selling video game, “Mortal Kombat X.” The “Mortal Kombat” games are developed by NetherRealm Studios, owned by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, with a team led by co-creator and creative director Ed Boon.

Paul W.S. Anderson’s 1995 “Mortal Kombat” movie revolved around some of the game’s classic characters, like Liu Kang and Johnny Cage, who were invited to a tournament on a mysterious island only to find out that the fate of the world hung in the balance. The pic grossed $70 million at the domestic box office.

Its sequel, “Mortal Kombat: Annihilation,” however, did not bring back audiences, and the studio shelved future plans for any “Mortal Kombat”-related projects. The series was revived after Warner Bros. Digital, which was run by current Warner Bros. chairman and CEO Kevin Tsujihara at the time, premiered the web series “Mortal Kombat: Legacy.”

McQuoid is an Australian filmmaker and one of the most in-demand commercials directors in the business, working on high-profile campaigns for PlayStation, Halo, Range Rover, Beats by Dre, and other top brands. His commercial work has earned him a Grand Clio, a D&AD Pencil, and a GRANDY Award, among others. McQuoid is repped by WME.

Test Your Might if old.

Yeah, we've seen plenty of previously inexperienced directors pull out surprisingly good films before, so I'm not going to take much away from this other than "movie is actually moving ahead".

A Mortal Kombat movie will live or die based on the visual design elements and the fight choreography. The first game is a simple premise, it's a supernatural martial arts tournament. Just focus on that first tournament, using MK9 as a kind of revisionist guideline (as extra characters were present), and get the fights and designs right. That's it. Mortal Kombat is as "summer movie" worthy as it gets. Well, aside from that hard R rating.

kayuza

Neo Member
pipe.jpeg

UrbanRats

I'll be surprised if they can surpass the first movie.
The right amount of campy to represent Mortal Kombat in that one.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I'll be surprised if they can surpass the first movie.
The right amount of campy to represent Mortal Kombat in that one.

Same here. Something with the attitude of Mad Max Fury Road might actually work but if it is taken too seriously then we have yet another MK: Legacy on our hands.

I'll show if they commit to lots of practical special effects, a good soundtrack and fun.

If it is standard Hollywood grey-washed misery and drama... Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh

ZeroCDR

Just finished watching the first movie for like the billionth time too, the best video game movie to date for me. Looking forward to this, I've been waiting a very long time for something to wash the stank of Annihilation out of my soul. The Legacy stuff is.. okay.. never clicked with me.

Wonder if the Christopher Lambert stuff from a few months ago is actually true, then? If he comes back that would be amazing.

I just hope they dont go the dark Knight levels of realism on it.

but not too campy either this aint the 90s.

they need to find the perfect balance

Top Bottom