• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does 'Game Of Thrones' Help Keep Hollywood Blockbusters White?

And in this morning’s official Hollywood controversy, Ed Skrein has been cast as Major Ben Diamio in Millennium and Lionsgate’s upcoming Hellboy reboot. Skrein is best known as the villain in Deadpool and “not-Jason Statham” in The Transporter Refueled. The reason this casting pick is ruffling feathers is because, Diamio is a Japanese-American character, while Skrein is not Japanese-American. The irony, of course, is that Millennium is less concerned about American outrage than whether the lower-budget, R-rated, horror-ish revamp can score big in China, so our protests will surely fall on deaf ears per usual. And as much as I’d love to point out that Skrein has exactly zero box office pull and little in the way of mainstream recognition, I will admit that he has one of the big advantages of late for snagging big Hollywood roles: He has appeared in Game of Thrones.

Since the acclaimed and buzzy David Benioff/D.B Weiss fantasy adventure (based on George R. R. Martin’s novels) debuted on HBO (owned by Time Warner Inc.) in April of 2011, it has become a medium-defining smash and a social media-driven juggernaut that has, along with House of Cards, Mad Men and Breaking Bad, come to define so-called “Peak TV.” The show now regularly pulls in 10 million viewers (and 10 million think pieces) per episode, which is huge for a cable television show. And, more importantly, for the purposes of this discussion, it has provided a wealth of new acting talent from its cast. Many of the show’s stars, supporting players and guest stars have gone on to top-line major Hollywood movies. Thanks to a mix of subject matter and timing, it has been especially bountiful to be a featured player or lead actor on HBO’s Game of Thrones.

Quite a few Hollywood movies, especially the biggest of big franchise properties, are rooted in fantasy, so a show like Game of Thrones is a boon to the industry as a would-be casting pool. If you need good-looking young men and women who are already experienced in fantasy tropes, sword-fighting, horseback riding, wearing various sorts of period garb, speaking potentially tongue-twisty property-specific dialogue, it’s your one-stop shopping mall for the next would-be fantasy film franchise. The prestigious, Emmy-winning show debuted right as Hollywood was going all-in with not just creating new fantasy franchises but rebooting as many old ones as possible. If you needed someone who wouldn’t look ridiculous casting a spell or swinging a sword, well, there you go.

And since the show is mostly Caucasian, it has (inadvertently?) helped keep the blockbuster casting pool less diverse right as such a thing is becoming a talking point in terms of box office success and social obligation.

This "advantage" doesn’t just extend to the various white male actors who have been featured on the sexually-charged sword-and-sorcery show. We have seen (the very busy) Jason Momoa as Conan the Barbarian and Aquaman. Sophie Turner is the new Jean Grey in Fox’s X-Men movies. Emilia Clarke co-starred in Paramount/Viacom Inc.'s Terminator Genisys, New Line and MGM's Me Before You and Walt Disney's upcoming young Han Solo Star Wars movie. Maise Williams will star in Josh Boone’s X-Men: The New Mutants as Wolfsbane. Nathalie Emmanuel (a rare black female cast member on a show not known for swimming in non-white representation) joined Universal/Comast Corp.'s Fast and Furious franchise. And Gwendoline Christie's Captain Phasma will allegedly get an actual role to play this time in The Last Jedi. And that's not counting the likes of Lena Headley or Natalie Dormer who were somewhat known and/or busy before joining the show.

But, since movies are more likely to have white guys in the lead roles and major supporting parts, it has also been a boon for the white dudes of note on Game of Thrones. Peter Dinklage is now a regular player in the likes of X-Men: Days of Future Past and Avengers: Infinity War. Richard Madden was (a terrific) Prince Charming in Walt Disney’s Cinderella. Kit Harington top-lined (the enjoyable) Pompeii and MI5 (a feature spin-off of the BBC television show). Nikolaj Coster-Waldau starred alongside Jessica Chastain in Mama and then was one of the two lead heroes in (the underrated) Gods of Egypt, a film that caused great controversy since it starred a mostly-white cast in a story that was technically supposed to be about ancient Egyptians. Finn Jones caused controversy when he was cast to as the title character in Netflix and Marvel's Iron Fist (a Caucasian character nonetheless somewhat rooted in Asian mythology) and turned out not to be very good at it.

Ed Skrein is now at least the third race-bending controversy concerning white Game of Thrones actors cast in “shouldn’t have been a white dude” roles.

This also applies to the show’s directorial staff. For example, it provided something of a comeback vessel for Neil Marshall (now helming Hellboy) and a calling card for Alan Taylor (Thor: The Dark World and Terminator Genisys). The show came along at just the right time for an industry that needed hot white people with experience in the fantasy sandbox to play in the next batch of fantasy properties and rebooted IP. Of course, that Hollywood snagged actors known for playing somewhat layered and complex protagonists and antagonists on TV and often cast them as simple heroes, damsels and villains is part of why folks tend to argue that TV is better than the movies. And since the show has, more or less, been focused on white characters, it has inadvertently made it that much easier for investors and producers to ignore minority talent even when it defies logic.

None of this is necessarily the fault of Game of Thrones (which I finally started watching just this week in what I imagine will be a marathon catch-up) as an isolated stand-alone episodic melodrama that takes place in a fantastical version of medieval Europe. Nor is it intended to guilt-trip those who make and/or enjoy the show (I'm one episode in, and I like it so far). I’ve long argued that the problem is less with individual shows and movies and more with what we in popular culture designate as important. As long as The Revenant is considered more culturally important than Brooklyn, and as long as The Kings of Summer is more important than Dope or The To-Do List, then the paradigm won’t shift.

Heck, even if the show had more inclusive casting, this is the industry where the breakout star of HBO’s Girls was (the admittedly quite engaging) Adam Driver. Life finds a way, and there is still no excuse for casting Ed Skrein, an actor with no box office pull, as a Japanese-American character. But as long as shows like Game of Thrones exist to provide Hollywood with a revolving door of fresh young white talent with just the sort of experience required to be a part of the next big movie series, it will be yet another advantage for actors who look like the prototypical next big movie star in an industry seemingly going out of its way not to embrace the future.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottm...ep-hollywood-blockbusters-white/#1ef0b324475b

What say you, Gaf?

adj_noun

I’ve long argued that the problem is less with individual shows and movies and more with what we in popular culture designate as important.

As long as The Revenant is considered more culturally important than Brooklyn, and as long as The Kings of Summer is more important than Dope or The To-Do List, then the paradigm won’t shift.

Seems a more central point than the title they selected.

Vyer

well that was dumb.

shit was a problem long before game of thrones and will likely be there long after. pinning hollywood's whitewashing on a current popular tv show is pretty much Clickbait 101

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Ah yes, the famous Game of Thrones cast member Ed Skrein who was re-cast after one season and no one remembers that he used to be Daario.

If they weren't finding them on GoT, they'd be finding them off Vinyl or some other show that would have taken its place.

And to make a bit of an aside point, the reason Adam Driver is the "breakout" star of Girls is because he was far and away the most talented actor on the show, which isn't that shocking since all the other leads were actors who came to acting by way of famous parents. And even then, Allison Williams has been doing okay for herself.

Nere

Yeah no mention for Peter Dinklage being a dwarf. I think it is amazing that he can get such important roles. What a stupid article.

Nah, white people keep Hollywood white.

Being able to relate and all.
TadkV.gif

danm999

Isn't it a thing that the Hollywood movie industry pretty much completely ignores TV and sees it as inferior/irrelevant?

Isn't it a thing that the Hollywood movie industry pretty much completely ignores TV and sees it as inferior/irrelevant?

It's changing a tiny bit in the era of "Peak TV". Or, at the very least, Hollywood is more okay with mining popular TV shows as a source for hopefully cheaper lead movie talent (as in, you're paying a well-known TV actor less as the lead in you movie than a well-known movie actor).

Considering the recent reports of writers and directors from things such as Stranger Things and other shows getting picked for movies (ie Russos for Cap and Avengers), and more big directors and actors getting involved in shows on HBO, Starz, Netflix, Amazon, etc...I feel like that's not true anymore. Or at least less true

Lexad

Ah yes, the famous Game of Thrones cast member Ed Skrein who was re-cast after one season and no one remembers that he used to be Daario.

Seriously had to look this guy up and just said seriously to myself as I closed out the window

I'm sick and tired of anyone who was in Game of Thrones for more than ten seconds henceforth being referred to in the press as "Game of Thrones' so and so". There is like a million people in the show, so that doesn't exactly help narrow down who they are talking about, and in many cases it's far from their defining role (though obviously in some cases it is their defining role).

Like, Paul Kaye. You're going to call him "Game of Thrones' Paul Kaye". Really? Fuck off.

So this article annoys me from the beginning.

I um...

...no?

Scared, unimaginative old white people keep blockbusters white.

And we're done here.

The main argument of this article is weird to me. GoT stars haven't really broken into the film industry in any successful way. At best you've got Emilia Clarke but, um, even that's not going so well. So how could they be blamed for keeping Hollywood white?

I'm confused.

Edit:

None of this is necessarily the fault of Game of Thrones (which I finally started watching just this week in what I imagine will be a marathon catch-up) as an isolated stand-alone episodic melodrama that takes place in a fantastical version of medieval Europe

Oh good, so this contributor doesn't even have a basic grasp of what Thrones is.
Huh.

Fuchsdh

Nothing is stopping Hollywood execs from trying new stuff and pushing diversity except themselves at the end of the day (and their perceptions of China, I guess.) The article even admits that its conceit is dumb (although I'll give the writer credit and assume that they didn't have any say over that headline.)

Dinklage always been solid, i been thinking about folks that got big with Thrones

Iwan Rheon *will* but I don't think you can argue that he has yet. We'll have to see how Inhumans does. He was clearly super talented in the relatively unknown (at least in the US) Misfits.

old

Pedro Pascal has used it to get big roles in The Great Wall and Kingsman Golden Circle.

Kinyou

Yeah no mention for Peter Dinklage being a dwarf. I think it is amazing that he can get such important roles. What a stupid article.
What's pretty great is that he gets roles where his size doesn't play any factor. In X-men Trask just happened to be that way

Dommo

I mean, sure, but this is just circular reasoning where the emphasis is put on GoT for no good reason. It's a vicious cycle and you could point to any successful film/show and blame them for the cast being utilized in other things later, while just as easily saying the industry that came before it is to blame for them being cast in said successful film/show as well.

Does 'The Thin Red Line' help keep Hollywood blockbusters white? White actors like Sean Penn, Jim Caviezel, Adrien Brody, George Clooney, Nick Nolte, Jared Leto, Woody Harrelson, John Cusack, John C. Reilly all went on to have successful careers, blocking other ethnicities from success. TTRL is really to blame for this.

Dabanton

I'm all for varied casting but that article was a stretch.

outside of maybe 2-3 people not many actors on the show have broke out

If Anything Natalie Emmanuel has done the best of all of them.

antonz

There really hasn't been much Crossover of GOT actors to suddenly Hollywood big timers. Hollywood has tried with a few sure but I would not say there has been any large success. Some of the younger cast members likely have a future ahead of them but like most young Hollywood you are replaceable

Hollywood is going to make and deliver what it can sell. I find it funny they treat Peter Dinklage like he is any other white guy. He has his own unique sets of challenges and the fact he has been embraced to the degree he has is awesome. Wasn't that long ago men like him were reserved for little more than background stuff or some sideshow character.

Top Bottom