• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Variety: Ed Helms Firing Up ‘The Naked Gun’ Reboot for Paramount

Status
Not open for further replies.

inm8num2

Ed Helms is quite possibly the most unfunny, most annoying person in entertainment.

I'm going to rewatch The Naked Gun this weekend to wash the bitter taste of this shit announcement out of my mouth.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
So it's official.

Everything is going to get the reboot treatment. Nothing will be sacred. Only a matter of time before the original Star Wars trilogy, Wizard of Oz, Gone with the Wind, Alien, Indiana Jones, etc. ad nauseum get reboots and remakes.

Platy

I am cool for the reboot.

The world needs more movies in the same style, specialy if they follow the TV Show style with more visual gags

My problem is the actor =|

Dai101

Banned
Surely you are joking.

This is not a joke, and stop calling me Sherley

I would love if somebody could replicate that instead of getting all these shitty modern parody movies.

This. Hollywood simply doesn't make this type of comedy anymore. I don't know if it's because they don't know how or audiences are too stupid to understand the subtle visual puns and wordplay but it's a lost art and it's a fucking travesty.

The modern audiences hasn't the attention span to catch all that happens in a movie, they're too fucking busy with their faces glued to the phone to care.

Leslie Nielsen was lighting in a bottle.

Everything about him was perfect for the Airplane/Police squad type of comedy. His look, his delivery, his timing.

It will be impossible to match him.

Yet, I love these type of movies. I would like to see a renaissance of this type of comedy (done well of course).

I will patiently await and hope for the best.

Every one of them. Leslie Nielsen, Robert "Unsolved Mysteries" Stack and Lloyd Bridges, make a name for dramatic roles, be always remembered for your comedy ones. They were one of a kind.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I have no problem with this. Ed Helms is a funny and likable guy. And even if the reboot bombs and is awful, it doesn't erase the original from existence. At best it will end up being hilarious, at worst it is a shitshow and you can still go back and watch the old ones. Hint: they don't burn all copies of the original movie when they do a remake/reboot. Some of you need to stop being so fucking dramatic.

KAP151

Hey Hollywood,

No one wants your shitty remakes of classic movies. Each and every time you fuck them up. Get some more creative people that have half a brain, rather than looking for a quick buck.

Sincerely,
Everyone.

Darkmakaimura

Hey Hollywood,

No one wants your shitty remakes of classic movies. Each and every time you fuck them up. Get some more creative people that have half a brain, rather than looking for a quick buck.

Sincerely,
Everyone.
Some of the remakes in the past were good. The Fly is one good example.

However, it seems most good remakes were from cheesier old films like The Fly or even The Mummy or The Thing. They were cases were the reboot was actually better than the original. These are exceptions to the rule. Nowadays, everything is getting rebooted unnecessarily and much more often than not, they're terrible. I don't even understand rebooting movies from less than 10 or 15 years ago like Spider-Man. Robocops and Total Recalls more unnecessary garbage that will never match up even close to the original. I guess it's a sign Hollywood pretty much has lost most of its originality. At least you get occasional original gems like Gravity (haven't seen it but all I've heard is good things).

Edit: From looks of it, Hollywood is determined to reboot 80's flicks in particular. Only good reboot I've seen recently were the Star Trek movies and they actually aren't technically reboots, still fitting in with the whole ST universe.

Darkmakaimura

The only Naked Gun remake I'd ever watch is one directed by David Cronenberg.
Ah yeah, I'm completely against the idea of a Naked Gun remake. I think there are a lot of movies that just need to be left alone. Leslie Nielsen cannot be replaced.

I have no problem with this. Ed Helms is a funny and likable guy. And even if the reboot bombs and is awful, it doesn't erase the original from existence. At best it will end up being hilarious, at worst it is a shitshow and you can still go back and watch the old ones. Hint: they don't burn all copies of the original movie when they do a remake/reboot. Some of you need to stop being so fucking dramatic.
The problem I have is that in a way it does. Instead of someone going and watching the original, they see the new one and maybe they aren't aware that it's a remake. Or they know it's a remake but it's a piece of shit so they lose any interest watching the originals. I will never forget singing "Boys of Summer" to myself at work once and having a girl come up to me and say "I love The Ataris!" And how many people do you think went back and watched the old Get Smart series when the reboot came out?

It might not replace the originals for US, but it does for newer generations and that's just as unfair.

way more

oh brother. out of ideas

I don't think it was much of an idea in the first place. What is the Naked Gun anyway? It's not plot, it's not characters, it's not unique dialogue, and they make sure to come in under 90 minutes.

It's just Leslie Neilsen playing it straight while wacky shit happens around him. If there was somehow a new Leslie Neilsen, (whom I don't think Ed Helms is) all you would need is the gags. Cops and gags.

Why making a gag-a-second film is so daunting that the Naked Gun series is the only stand-out is beyond me.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
However, it seems most good remakes were from cheesier old films like The Fly or even The Mummy or The Thing. They were cases were the reboot was actually better than the original. These are exceptions to the rule. Nowadays, everything is getting rebooted

Wrapped in wrongness.

tumblr_m4g5rir2aX1qih3ojo1_500.gif

Ishida

Banned
NO NO NO NO NO NO

What is up with the reboots and remakes lately? How the hell do they think they will pull this off without Leslie Nielsen?

Now I fear for movies like Back to the Future...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom