• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 5 Running as an .exe

Tschumi

some newer games finally seem to have figured out clothes physics... bummer this character's accoutrements are so scattershot re: those physics

on topic: yay graphics

All modern tech demos are either in a rocky desert, or a rainy city.
ikr who they kidding? re: desert anyway, so sparse

Last edited:

muteZX

Banned
Ah yes, performance is laughable when the 3090 pushes at least 4x the pixels compared to consoles. If that's laughable, how would you describe the console performance then?

36 fps with 3090 .. a singel static avatar, one blue ball, static desert .. I presume less than 20 fps with more dynamic PS5 UE5 demo, isnt it .. 3090, 400 watt, 2000+ euro .. thank you and I love you.

Dont write back.

MonarchJT

Banned
getting 60-ish at 1080 on a laptop 2070, pretty impressive:

6MIvbKj.jpg
and you? what type of SSD?

longdi

Banned
Title says it all.

GPU: RTX 3090 (4k + super resolution)
DDR RAM: 64G
CPU: AMD 3950X

Here is a vid I made of the compiled version of UE5. Seems to run pretty well even though there are dips down to the mid 40s.

VRAM Allocated : ~8G (from MSI Afterburner)
CPU RAM Usage: ~3G (from Task Manager - shown at 2:01)

where do i download this?

you sad 3950x probably caused the mid-40 dips.

I just replaced mine with 5950x, instant 20% uplift 🤭

VFXVeteran

Banned
36 fps with 3090 .. a singel static avatar, one blue ball, static desert .. I presume less than 20 fps with more dynamic PS5 UE5 demo, isnt it .. 3090, 400 watt, 2000+ euro .. thank you and I love you.

Dont write back.
Whatever the fps is, PS5 will manage barely half of that. Just deal with it like a big boy :messenger_beaming: everyone else is okay with this reality but you are melting down for some reason.

You right now:

giphy.gif

---------------------------------------------------------

It's really interesting to see how this will evolve and change going forward. It looks stunning and I'm curious how AMD and Nvidia's implementations of DLSS/SR will look. Do you have resizable bar working as well VFXVeteran VFXVeteran ? Noticing any performance differences between the two if you've tested?

Last edited:

Larxia

getting 60-ish at 1080 on a laptop 2070, pretty impressive:

6MIvbKj.jpg
Your picture is extremely blurry though, doesn't look like it's running at 1080p. I'm trying it right now on a GTX 1080 and I get around 30 in this area personally.

Last edited:

AGRacing

I tried to take these at reference points that could be easily replicated. The first and fourth screenshots are without touching anything after each load. Second shot is switching to drone and touching nothing that transition.
I took the last screen at the shoulder plate of the creature because it seemed to tank the performance...

System is a 5800X CPU with a 6900 XT reference GPU. 16GB 3600mhz memory. 2X SN750 Raid 0 array. ReBar ON.
Based on above conversation it might be interesting to note CPU utilization is quite low.

Desktop resolution is 1440p

HhR0MY2.jpg
TmC1fLp.jpg
6zCSfqE.jpg
OiBEdKX.jpg
YTDGuGN.jpg

Last edited:
Dont write back.
Essentially means: "I lost the argument, I don't have any facts or a rebuttal, and now I'm gonna pretend like I somehow won because of the deep love for my plastic box"

It's been said multiple times, by multiple people, in multiple threads, about the performance of the demo. VFXVeteran VFXVeteran has it running at a much higher resolution and framerate than what has been shown last year. And the performance next gen consoles are getting on this same exact demo, is 1080p @ 30fps. Crazy how you and others will peddle some weird agenda with all the data right in front of it. Didn't know people could just get hit with the Stevie Wonder overnight.

Last edited:

muteZX

Banned
Whatever the fps is, PS5 will manage barely half of that. Just deal with it like a big boy :messenger_beaming: everyone else is okay with this reality but you are melting down for some reason.

xo xo .. PS5DE at 349 euro /black friday you know/ is pleased and w/out melting.

Accept the truth, Nvidia is the second league at UE5 compared to AMD but I still expect much more from Nv3090. But as the Cyber77 with full RT showed, the Nv3090 produces more warm air than the power it can be proud of. This is the truth and there is only one truth. Hallelujah and amen.

muteZX

Banned
you can't even move in that section is basically a movie and all just at 1440p @ 30fps

One year old PS5 demo is a little bit more impressive. On PC without HW restrictions they showed a third-class boring bullshit. Why ..

Last edited:

muteZX

Banned
What is this supposed to mean? I gave an objective comment which can't be disputed at all. And I'm not impressed with Cyberpunk's RT. I was speaking more about Metro EE which implements RT like it should be used.

it means .. Cyber 77 - full RT psycho level, XO/PS4 geometry /!!/ + Nv 3090 = native 900p60 locked .. maybe locked .. I dont know .. maybe not.

You wanna talk about full RT at that resolution .. really ?

How low with resolution you want go next with next gen geometry, trace ray against "every" triangle .. 540p ?

We will see what can 4A do ..

Calm your titties .. end of spamming from me ..

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I'm on a 2060 Super(~2070) and I was having an issue with the game seemingly not scaling with resolution correctly. At 1080p/1440p/4K they were all looking similar and I was getting superior performance to what I expected(40-60fps). Then I remembered that some DLSS games will scale from the Windows text and apps Scale option. Let's say you're on a 1080p display using DSR to get to 4K and your Windows display settings scale is set to 300%, your target game resolution will be set from that, not 4K. IIRC the RTX Star Wars demo does this too.

Also, despite this being a packaged project, it's still doing some form of shader caching. The first time you run it, it will lag and stutter, then as you've cached everything it will become extremely smooth and load faster.

P.S.- I'm pretty sure the lowest base resolution allowed is 720p. That's why all the different resolutions I tried performed nearly the same. During one of the first runs of the .exe version, GeForce overlay screenshot pooped out into a separate folder and it was 720p.
Julius Ibidus Julius Ibidus

4K with Windows display settings 'Scale' set to 300%:
A-Valleyof-Ancients-4-K-300percent.jpg

4K with Windows display settings 'Scale' set to 100%:
A-Valleyof-Ancients-4-K-100percent.jpg

Last edited:
I'm on a 2060 Super(~2070) and I was having an issue with the game seemingly not scaling with resolution correctly. At 1080p/1440p/4K they were all looking similar and I was getting superior performance to what I expected(40-60fps). Then I remembered that some DLSS games will scale from the Windows text and apps Scale option. Let's say you're on a 1080p display using DSR to get to 4K and your Windows display settings scale is set to 300%, your target game resolution will be set from that, not 4K. IIRC the RTX Star Wars demo does this too.

Also, despite this being a packaged project, it's still doing some form of shader caching. The first time you run it, it will lag and stutter, then as you've cached everything it will become extremely smooth and load faster.

P.S.- I'm pretty sure the lowest base resolution allowed is 720p. That's why all the different resolutions I tried performed nearly the same. During one of the first runs of the .exe version, GeForce overlay screenshot pooped out into a separate folder and it was 720p.
Julius Ibidus Julius Ibidus
yeah, i thought i was at 1080p but looks like i was at 720p, will have to retry it.

so i had my desktop scale at 150%, must have been what set it to 720p instead of 1080p, performance went down (45-ish instead of 60) but still impressive:

BVZwZco.jpg

Last edited:
None of the youtube videos I've seen show the sections they showed off from the original demo, the truly detailed stuff. Like the statues and the high quality cave. Everything I've seen so far is a noticeable dip in quality from the demo. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
There is no truly detailed stuff that isn’t available yet. All the rock assets used in the demo are available today on Quixel Bridge.

Your so-called high quality cave. All the rocks that was used to make it. All the assets are on Bridge. For free with 8k and sometimes 16k textures.

The difference in density is that one was a very small team that was given acouple weeks the other is a large team that was given years...

Is this the high quality statues you are talking about? There’s nothing special about them. There are only about 10-15 unique statues. What you see throughout out the demo is instanced meshes and statues. They are just duplicated continuously.

Also about the high quality cave you are talking about. The demo only has about 100-150 unique assets. Epic games already showed us the set dressing for two small corners in the Unreal Next Gen YouTube video. The two very small corners they showed had a bunch of assets duplicated about 5-10 times.

As epic said, the demo was made super kitbash.

I haven’t been able to package a project into a exe on UE5 because it says SDK not found. I could never find UE5 sdk.
you need to install like 5 different things. .Net and uh visual studio and some other stuff.
this result are the clearest of the answers to the reality of the facts. Tim was lying.
Wouldnt be the first time. Tim hates Microsoft.

Edit
Also just installed a SN850. Lets see if that changes anything.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
So this is streaming assets from ssd storage as needed or pre-loading/caching in advance?
ue5 work doing preloading/caching in fact many have launched the demo from old mechanical hdd with great results. the faster your SSD the less preloading the engine will do

Last edited:

CamHostage

CamHostage CamHostage

You can absolutely build your own UE5 project outside of the Valley of Ancients project. You can with certainty use nanite meshes right out Quixel Bridge from within UE5(no Valley Ancients project invovled), along with Meta Humans. You can also edit the Ancients project in whatever manner you desire.

Are you asking why nobody has made a native UE5 game in under a week?

Heh, no, but kind of... I'm asking why nobody has replaced Echo in Valley of the Ancients with Hatsume Miku, or yeah, planted a "FIRST!" flag on the UE5 moon by putting out a playable Flappy Bird clone of a Chocobo flying over the Nanite landscape.

You know, the type of Day One stuff you usually see when a new engine or new technology comes out? I haven't that type of seen yet. Not sure why, if you're saying the Editor is more or less functional and open.So I'm making guesses (based on watching some footage of the editing process, but also of just not seeing the types of hack projects I expected when the Editor access released) of what the UE5 Early Access actually allows (my laptop would cry if I tried to run one frame of VotA demo...) Please correct me on my assumptions, but there are general limitations in the Early Access editor, right, it's not just "not done yet"?

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Heh, no, but kind of... I'm asking why nobody has replaced Echo in Valley of the Ancients with Hatsume Miku, or yeah, planted a "FIRST!" flag on the UE5 moon by putting out a Flappy Bird clone of a Chocobo flying over the Nanite landscape.

The type of Day One stuff you usually see when a new engine or new technology comes out, I haven't seen yet. So I'm making assumptions of what the UE5 Early Access actually allows (my laptop would cry if I tried to run one frame of VotA demo...), please correct me on m assumptions but there are limitations in the Early Access editor, right, it's not just "not done yet"?
The guy I linked has a whole channel of stuff well beyond that. I've done it myself. Spray painted an unholy amount of dynamic grass and some trees all over the Ancients demo map. Added a character, enemies, etc.

Just try it yourself, man!

Bo_Hazem

Banned
At native 4K. Same rocky desert runs at 1080p30 on consoles. What performance did you expect from a 3090?

Not native 4K. It's 1440p with super resolution to 4K. You need to turn off super resolution to have native 4K. Just like 4K DLSS or checkboarded 4K or other techniques.

martino

Flying further from playable character detail decreases.
do you mean the drone is not the real character and this won't happen if i try and can get there ?

edit : there are invisible walls everywhere.
also sata ssd loading is ~6sec for me

edit 2 : this porch and other asset like this one are not that great for me.
Sans-titre3.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom