• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 5 Running as an .exe

do you mean the drone is not the real character and this won't happen if i try and can get there ?

edit : there are invisible walls everywhere.
also sata ssd loading is ~6sec for me
Either drone is not THE char or the map is way lower quality the further from spawn you are.

Just get close to the ground at spawn location and when you fly like a mile away.

Last edited:
Can't wait to see someone do the thing were she flys at a fast speed through rocks breaking apart without any skipping or stuttering.

martino

my 1080ti is 20-30fps at 4k 40-45 at 1080p
it stutter more in 1080p they are even sound desync.
you can't expect too much from what is more an unreal editor project example than a polished demo.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
this is what i have at 4k in some place :

Sans-titre.png

edit : for comparison on other place
Sans-titre2.png
Yes, if you go into triangle view in the Nanite View section, you will see several objects are not high poly. That's just the content and not anything with the rendering.

so with my last test, my computer (HP Omen 17 Laptop, 2070) was outputting to an external monitor at 1080p using my Thunderbolt port. this time i decided to test it by using my laptop screen at 1080p (no external) and running the exe on a SanDisk SSD ExTreme external drive hooked up to my Thunderbolt port. here's the external drive:

ASuTR3X.jpg

and here are the result (which i thought we really going considering it was playing off an external, if i tweak it a little in Control Panel i think i could get a relatively steady 30):

The only reason that particular demo is not available to play around right now in UE5 editor is that Sony paid Epic to make it exclusively to 'showcase' ps5 capabilities. And boy did it worked as evident from your posts.

As good as that demo looked someone could make an even nicer demo for current top cards that are twice as powerful as ps5 already, but who would pay epic to do that?

The only reason that particular demo is not available to play around right now in UE5 editor is that Sony paid Epic to make it exclusively to 'showcase' ps5 capabilities. And boy did it worked as evident from your posts.

As good as that demo looked someone could make an even nicer demo for current top cards that are twice as powerful as ps5 already, but who would pay epic to do that?
who knows how much optimization went into it as well. This demo is just toss all this stuff together and run it. Its really not comparable.

MaDBrute

Banned
What is this supposed to mean? I gave an objective comment which can't be disputed at all. And I'm not impressed with Cyberpunk's RT. I was speaking more about Metro EE which implements RT like it should be used
Pure rt? Can you elaborate. Is there fake rt?

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
If your looking to try start loading time shenanigans.

NVMe vs HDD feels like a pretty settled matter at this point, any decent gaming PC is gonna be NVMe.

What I'm more interested in is howmuch all this decompression stuff and optimized I/O pipeline is going to help. When games start supporting DirectInput we might have a taste of that to compare against the PS5.

PaintTinJr

There's no mention of it reaching 60 in that article. Where did you get that from?

This year's demo only rings at 1080p 30fps on ps5. Maybe because it's a much larger area with more things on screen.
What exactly is the quote that says the PS5 can only run this bare bones demo @1080p30?

I'm pretty sure you are making a leap from Epic avoiding console wars by showing parity at 1080p30 - maybe because of avg PC specs - and then assuming that was the consoles' upper bound when they confirm both consoles run it at full resolution and frame-rate.

Last edited:

hlm666

What exactly is the quote that says the PS5 can only run this bare bones demo @1080p30?

I'm pretty sure you are making a leap from Epic avoiding console wars by showing parity at 1080p30 - maybe because of avg PC specs - and then assuming that was the consoles' upper bound when they confirm both consoles run it at full resolution and frame-rate.
One of the engineers in a stream said this was designed to push consoles to the limits, you might think it's bare bones but they are saying it's heavy and on purpose. Their own documentation says max settings for lumen target 1080p 30 or high at 1080p 60 on consoles.

Being that there is no mention of anything higher than 30, and how it's maxing the consoles out, I don't believe there is much headroom. They could have even given it a 45fps spec like Capcom did, but they just don't have the power, as it's expensive to run this performance wise. They wouldn't dumb it down just because.

muteZX

Banned
Being that there is no mention of anything higher than 30, and how it's maxing the consoles out, I don't believe there is much headroom. They could have even given it a 45fps spec like Capcom did, but they just don't have the power, as it's expensive to run this performance wise. They wouldn't dumb it down just because.

relax kid ..

Go back a year and read what Epic wrote about the UE5 PS5 demo .. the demo was practically still running in 1440p, the demo had a lock at 30 fps only because of the fact that it was a presentation but they already claimed then that it should not be a problem to get it at 60 fps, which means that the demo definitely went an average of 45fps unlocked.

and headroom .. sure ..

"The demo also showcases existing engine systems such as Chaos physics and destruction, Niagara VFX, convolution reverb, and ambisonics rendering."

.. see ..

relax kid ..

Go back a year and read what Epic wrote about the UE5 PS5 demo .. the demo was practically still running in 1440p, the demo had a lock at 30 fps only because of the fact that it was a presentation but they already claimed then that it should not be a problem to get it at 60 fps, which means that the demo definitely went an average of 45fps unlocked.

and headroom .. sure ..

"The demo also showcases existing engine systems such as Chaos physics and destruction, Niagara VFX, convolution reverb, and ambisonics rendering."

.. see ..
And a year later from the demo, running the engine with it's current iteration only gets ps5 a mere 1080p rez @ 30fps, kid. Can't be much headroom if they had to drop resolution and framerate. I'm not sure why this is a surprise when you have a scripted demo, vs an interactive one with a vastly larger map. Do you not see why the performance dropped for consoles yet? It wouldn't be hard to understand.

It must feel embarrassing to try and shit on the performance of the demo at 4K @ 60fps, when your console of choice runs a quarter of the resolution and half the framerate. Then you cry foul when called out for foolishness... Ironic.

But let's get back on topic, you've been trying to derail this thread for too long. If you wanna discuss consoles, make a thread and tag us, as this is about an executable of the UE5 demo, which can't run on either console, as neither can run .exe's or feature a 3090 under the hood.

Last edited:

muteZX

Banned
And a year later from the demo, running the engine with it's current iteration only gets ps5 a mere 1080p rez @ 30fps, kid. Can't be much headroom if they had to drop resolution and framerate. I'm not sure why this is a surprise when you have a scripted demo, vs an interactive one with a vastly larger map. Do you not see why the performance dropped for consoles yet? It wouldn't be hard to understand.

It must feel embarrassing to try and shit on the performance of the demo at 4K @ 60fps, when your console of choice runs a quarter of the resolution and half the framerate. Then you cry foul when called out for foolishness... Ironic.

But let's get back on topic, you've been trying to derail this thread for too long. If you wanna discuss consoles, make a thread and tag us, as this is about an executable of the UE5 demo, which can't run on either console, as neither can run .exe's or feature a 3090 under the hood.

1080p/30 .. universal setup .. thats all .. modify it as you pleasure ..

Lumen's Global Illumination and Reflections primary shipping target is to support large, open worlds running at 60 frames per second (fps) on next-generation consoles. The engine's scalability level contains settings for Lumen targeting 60 fps.

And stop talking about bullshit prolly locked 30 fps /!!/ static desert editor demo for 3090 !!

ad Chaos physics and destruction, Niagara VFX, convolution reverb, and ambisonics rendering and return back ..

PaintTinJr

The statement is exactly as is to avoid any inference between PC min specs, XsX and PS5, but that seems to be exactly what you are doing. All the complex volumetric simulations, etc that are missing from this demo, but were present - and with much better character animations - in the ps5 demo that ran at 1400p and was capped at 30fps - and there's text/video confirming they expected to optimise - the resource hog - lumen to run at 60fps, all says that this demo is light weight to run on the PS5 - and probably XsX too- because of the in GPU streaming pool compression, and in & out to SSD streaming compression - as mentioned in the slides of the UE5 demo unrealfest videos.

I think they didnt want to scare people of the power of next gen, so thats why decided to cap it at 30 fps and oh yeah 1080p too. Yep that's the sole reason, obviously, duh.

I think they didnt want to scare people of the power of next gen, so thats why decided to cap it at 30 fps and oh yeah 1080p too. Yep that's the sole reason, obviously, duh.
It's sad that people are quoting last year's scripted demo as the target performance, instead of the updated engine and interactive demos performance. It's almost like things can't change over the time of a year. Newer versions of the engine might just be heavier to run, compared to an early look at the demo from last year, especially now that we get to see it without a marketing deal behind it.

VFXVeteran

Banned
UPDATE:

Many people requested that I benchmark the 2nd section of the demo.

Runs pretty well.

The hiccups are due to trigger scripts in the engine. This indicates some inefficiencies with loading.

Proof?
@1:10 - GPU: 1% usage, CPU: 8% usage - 9FPS
@1:57 - GPU: 33% usage, CPU: 16% usage - 11FPS

When loading a trigger event that's completely out of the control of the user, UE does some caching which causes these pauses. Nothing to worry about if this was going to be an actual game.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why people can't understand why a scripted optimized demo by a reasonable sized team runs better than a unscripted, not optimized demo by probably a much much smaller team.

PaintTinJr

I'm not sure why people can't understand why a scripted optimized demo by a reasonable sized team runs better than a unscripted, not optimized demo by probably a much much smaller team.
IIRC Epic stated that the PS5's demo was supposed to be interactive at GDC - a covid issue, of not having time to stop potentially getting out of the world and crashing the PS5 devkit while flying - and the demo was intended to dovetail with Cerny's Road to PS5, so hardly built as a scripted in-engine video like you claim.

They also stated it only took them 2 months and 80 Epic staff to make the PS5 demo IIRC - although I'd need to lookup that post showcase video to verify those numbers precisely.

IIRC Epic stated that the PS5's demo was supposed to be interactive at GDC - a covid issue, of not having time to stop potentially getting out of the world and crashing the PS5 devkit while flying - and the demo was intended to dovetail with Cerny's Road to PS5, so hardly built as a scripted in-engine video like you claim.

They also stated it only took them 2 months and 80 Epic staff to make the PS5 demo IIRC - although I'd need to lookup that post showcase video to verify those numbers precisely.
So it's playable but you can't nor will anyone ever play it. I have a hard time believing anything without proof from mega corporations.
If you watched how they made some of the stuff in this demo, it really shows how fast it was put together. Which is kinda the point of nanite. 80 people 2 months sounds like a lot with some of the things people have shown out of ue5 done in an afternoon.

PaintTinJr

So it's playable but you can't nor will anyone ever play it. I have a hard time believing anything without proof from mega corporations.
If you watched how they made some of the stuff in this demo, it really shows how fast it was put together. Which is kinda the point of nanite. 80 people 2 months sounds like a lot with some of the things people have shown out of ue5 done in an afternoon.
What? make up your mind, either it was lavished with effort and optimised, hence why it looks better than anything we've seen on any platform at any performance/resolution, or it was an impressive effort with nothing optimised to the PS5, and the PS5 hardware enabled that rapid level of expressiveness.

ps. Calling people like Cerny, Sweeney and the Epic's team liars about the PS5's UE5 demo used to be not the done thing here around the time of launch. Surely they are entitled to professional respect, and to be trusted unless you have proof, no?

Last edited:
What? make up your mind, either it was lavished with effort and optimised, hence why it looks better than anything we've seen on any platform at any performance/resolution, or it was an impressive effort with nothing optimised to the PS5, and the PS5 hardware enabled that rapid level of expressiveness.

ps. Calling people like Cerny, Sweeney and the Epic's team liars about the PS5's UE5 demo used to be not the done thing here around the time of launch. Surely they are entitled to professional respect, and to be trusted unless you have proof, no?
Your first paragraph makes no sense to what I posted.
There is a big difference between we planned to do something and we did something.
Edit
Hahahaha Tim Sweeny is entitled to eat my ass and that's about it. I'm indifferent about Cerny, I believe him as much as anyone who is selling me a product.

Last edited:

John Wick

quit the bullshit this is a ps5.

in the other thread playstation experts were telling us over and over again that only a mark cerny device was capable of running this. maybe a pc with 512GB of ram and a rtx 4090 ti on SLI could get close but that's it. and why wouldn't I believe them they seemed pretty sure.
A third party engine only capable of running on the PS5? I mean UE4 only ran on PS4? Right? So naturally UE5 will only run on PS5?
Nobody mentioned the nonsense you just wrote.

Doesn't the ps5 devkit have 32gb of VRAM and 2tb of storage? I just thought about that, so it's not even indicative of what a retail PS5/DE would perform like! On retail XSX and PS5, this currently runs at 1080 30fps. Epic never said what it runs at on their dev kits for either platform. And we'll never get to see this so called interactive demo. So what's the point of it being brought up over and over again?

PaintTinJr

Doesn't the ps5 devkit have 32gb of VRAM and 2tb of storage? I just thought about that, so it's not even indicative of what a retail PS5/DE would perform like! On retail XSX and PS5, this currently runs at 1080 30fps. Epic never said what it runs at on their dev kits for either platform. And we'll never get to see this so called interactive demo. So what's the point of it being brought up over and over again?
The slides and comments in all the videos refer to the PS5, not the devkit - because the devkit double memory is only used for shadowing the retail hardware's unified RAM, while still testing before a master. So no, completely wrong on that point also, and let's not forget the team were working with UE5 tools that were 12months older than this pre-release state.

However, just for laughs let's say they did have access to double the unified RAM, how does that help them in anyway - given the metrics this far less impressive demo/user created content show in memory usage and IO usage, and the slides of the UE5 demo showing just 768MB of RAM use for geometry caching, and IO used for streaming out to SSD too? I thought your schtik was these consoles have weak GPUs - compared to PCMR PCs, no?

The slides and comments in all the videos refer to the PS5, not the devkit - because the devkit double memory is only used for shadowing the retail hardware's unified RAM, while still testing before a master. So no, completely wrong on that point also, and let's not forget the team were working with UE5 tools that were 12months older than this pre-release state.

However, just for laughs let's say they did have access to double the unified RAM, how does that help them in anyway - given the metrics this far less impressive demo/user created content show in memory usage and IO usage, and the slides of the UE5 demo showing just 768MB of RAM use for geometry caching, and IO used for streaming out to SSD too? I thought your schtik was these consoles have weak GPUs - compared to PCMR PCs, no?
So why does every article say the ORIGINAL demo was running on a ps5 DEVELOPMENT KIT. Not sure if you weren't aware, but that means it was running on a ps5 devkit. That's what development kit stands for - devkit. Go look it up yourself before you accuse me of making things up, even though YOU are the one saying it was on a regular ps5 😂! You were and are completely wrong on that point, shame on you for trying to make me look stupid, when you're guilty of it yourself!

Who's to say they don't have access to the whole memory?

Isn't UE5 all about memory? Ps5 retail won't run it like this. That's my whole point. So stop while you are behind.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

So why does every article say the ORIGINAL demo was running on a ps5 DEVELOPMENT KIT. Not sure if you weren't aware, but that means it was running on a ps5 devkit. That's what development kit stands for - devkit. Go look it up yourself before you accuse me of making things up, even though YOU are the one saying it was on a regular ps5 😂! You were and are completely wrong on that point, shame on you for trying to make me look stupid, when you're guilty of it yourself!

Who's to say they don't have access to the whole memory?

Isn't UE5 all about memory? Ps5 retail won't run it like this. That's my whole point. So stop while you are behind.
Read my words again, I wasn't saying it wasn't a devkit, but semantically no different to a PS5, which is exactly how a devkit is when running almost retail code and shadowing the memory. The game doesn't see a 32GB devkit, it sees whatever proportion of the 16GB the PS5 OS let's it see. And all my other points still stand, and it is a stupid comment (IMHO) that you made.

Last edited:
Read my words again, I wasn't saying it wasn't a devkit, but semantically no different to a PS5, which is exactly how a devkit is when running almost retail code and shadowing the memory. The game doesn't see a 32GB devkit, it sees whatever proportion of the 16GB the PS5 OS let's it see. And all my other points still stand, and it is a stupid comment (IMHO) that you made.
According to who? Who says epic doesn't have access to all of the RAM? And why do you think the ps5 performance was lowered, parity? To what, Xbox? Wouldn't doubt that Xbox runs the demo with better performance, so it's very doubtful performance was lowered for parity. It's interesting people still believe PR over the factual data presented in front of us. We can actually test the engine on our PC's, but no one can test this fictional interactive demo on ps5. Epic themselves told us what the performance is like on XSX and PS5, which is 1080p @ 30fps.

If you are willing to suck up all the PR, why don't you believe it this time? Hmmm

PaintTinJr

According to who? Who says epic doesn't have access to all of the RAM? And why do you think the ps5 performance was lowered, parity?
It wasn't lowered, 1080p30 was the target for the editor (without stuttering) for that demo on PCM PC, XsX, PS5 and old PCM PC Maxell GPU. No inference is made about console top capability from what I recall, and if you continue to say it does, then feel free to bring the transcribed text from the video's audio that proves otherwise.
The part I bolded, you can't be real about that, are you? Do you even understand the purpose of the devkits vs testing on retail decks?
To what, Xbox? Wouldn't doubt that Xbox runs the demo with better performance, so it's very doubtful performance was lowered for parity. It's interesting people still believe PR over the factual data presented in front of us.
We can actually test the engine on our PC's, but no one can test this fictional interactive demo on ps5. Epic themselves told us what the performance is like on XSX and PS5, which is 1080p @ 30fps.
What data? We can only benchmark 4.5 second high latency loading on a PC, we can't benchmark how well the XsS compares to the 1080, or a 3090 measures up to a XsX or PS5. But we know that nanite and lumen are ROP bound because unrealfest video slides tells us that the nanite/lumen (SDF) stuff is done in just a fragment shader - ie ROP bound - so everything else like IO latency/decompression/cache scrubbing/async compute being equal, the performance of the original PS5 demo will scale by ROP count, as will this lesser demo.
If you are willing to suck up all the PR, why don't you believe it this time? Hmmm
No one is sucking up anything, and it is for you to transcribe verbatim to prove your so-called PR fact.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It wasn't lowered, 1080p30 was the target for the editor (without stuttering) for that demo on PCM PC, XsX, PS5 and old PCM PC Maxell GPU. No inference is made about console top capability from what I recall, and if you continue to say it does, then feel free to bring the transcribed text from the video's audio that proves otherwise.

They don't run UE Editor on consoles... so not sure why the demo on consoles would have anything to do with it.

They do state in their UE5 documentation that the expectation for consoles using all of UE5's most advanced features (including the RT lighting only designed for use indoors) is 1080p30 then upscaled. (60FPS for their outdoor lighting solution though)

Last edited:
The part I bolded, you can't be real about that, are you? Do you even understand the purpose of the devkits vs testing on retail decks?

What data? We can only benchmark 4.5 second high latency loading on a PC, we can't benchmark how well the XsS compares to the 1080, or a 3090 measures up to a XsX or PS5. But we know that nanite and lumen are ROP bound because unrealfest video slides tells us that the nanite/lumen (SDF) stuff is done in just a fragment shader - ie ROP bound - so everything else like IO latency/decompression/cache scrubbing/async compute being equal, the performance of the original PS5 demo will scale by ROP count, as will this lesser demo.

No one is sucking up anything, and it is for you to transcribe verbatim to prove your so-called PR fact.
I stopped reading at consoles running the editor. 😂. What are you talking about?! First you said it wasn't on a ps5 dev kit, now you are saying ps5 ran the editor 😂. Let me know when the ps5 dev kits start running windows 10. I can't even blame it on PR for your absence of knowledge on the matter, as you are now talking about stuff that is non-existent.

PaintTinJr

They don't run UE Editor on consoles... so not sure why the demo on consoles would have anything to do with it.

They do state in their UE5 documentation that the expectation for consoles using all of UE5's most advanced features (including the RT lighting only designed for use indoors) is 1080p30 then upscaled.
Well that's to be expected, as the PS5 demo doesn't push the BVH RT feature hard - despite looking better than anything on any platform we've seen - it was a demonstration of the PS5 IO (based on the slide info) with nanite and lumen, and using most of UE's other key features. If dialling up far more BVH RT stuff costs 1400p > 1080p to look even better, then that's hardly the same as concluding that this unimpressive demo that does a fraction of the first demo will be 1080p30 on it, is it? That is a conflation of two different things IMO, and let's the person making the point of the hook for failing to bring proof. (can you also link to that page of documentation?)

PaintTinJr

I stopped reading at consoles running the editor. 😂. What are you talking about?! First you said it wasn't on a ps5 dev kit, now you are saying ps5 ran the editor 😂. Let me know when the ps5 dev kits start running windows 10. I can't even blame it on PR for your absence of knowledge on the matter, as you are now talking about stuff that is non-existent.
Nice way to dodge it, when it should be obvious to anyone that the video was about using the engine tools on PC, and the target resolution and specs I was implicitly talking about for running the editor, just in terms of the PC.

Top Bottom