• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 5 Running as an .exe

VFXVeteran

Banned
Title says it all.

GPU: RTX 3090 (4k + super resolution)
DDR RAM: 64G
CPU: AMD 3950X

Here is a vid I made of the compiled version of UE5. Seems to run pretty well even though there are dips down to the mid 40s.

VRAM Allocated : ~8G (from MSI Afterburner)
CPU RAM Usage: ~3G (from Task Manager - shown at 2:01)

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Nice, man! I've been curious to see this, even though I'd tested in a standalone process and found similar results. Were you able to find the correct SDK to use?

harmny

Banned
Title says it all.

Here is a vid I made of the compiled version of UE5. Seems to run pretty well even though there are dips down to the mid 40s.

quit the bullshit this is a ps5.

in the other thread playstation experts were telling us over and over again that only a mark cerny device was capable of running this. maybe a pc with 512GB of ram and a rtx 4090 ti on SLI could get close but that's it. and why wouldn't I believe them they seemed pretty sure.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
Title says it all.

)))))) what SSD?))

hyperbertha

None of the youtube videos I've seen show the sections they showed off from the original demo, the truly detailed stuff. Like the statues and the high quality cave. Everything I've seen so far is a noticeable dip in quality from the demo. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Title says it all.

I wanna see how it handles one of my shaders...the megascans stuff is pretty simple

Md Ray

Why is the GPU util. constantly in the mid 80%?

Did you monitor GPU power? (NVIDIA's own perf metric can show that if you press Alt + R).

Last edited:

CamHostage

None of the youtube videos I've seen show the sections they showed off from the original demo, the truly detailed stuff. Like the statues and the high quality cave. Everything I've seen so far is a noticeable dip in quality from the demo. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The demo they released only has the chunk seen in the 2021 UE5 video. So the big rocky area with Echo at a fire, then the ball that transitions to the Dark World, then the little path that leads to the battle with the Ancient.

The UE5 demo shown off in a 2020 video (the one that used a PS5 and they talked a little bit of console-salesmanship but also showed off a ton more content and a more robust experience with creatures and caves and the fast-paced destruction sequence at the end) has not yet been released to the public, or shown for a second time since, or offered up for any kind of performance analyzation AFAIK. Frustratingly, we don't know much more about that demo besides having the 2021 demo to compare it to.

And then the UE5 Early Access editor that is available to developers lets users import UE4 projects in and turn on some of the UE5 features (you can activate Lumen in a scene or import/turn on Nanite for the models in a scene,) but I believe it limits what you can actually export or make as far as actually using it right now to make anything like a "game". (It sounds like you can't even modify the game project that it comes with; you can move stuff around in the desert and throw some characters in there but I haven't seen anybody run a character through the demo world.) So, still early on that end if you're looking for much more than "does UE5 exist" and "do Nanite and Lumen work as promised?" Access is still early.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
And then the UE5 Early Access editor that is available to developers lets users import UE4 projects in and turn on some of the UE5 features (you can activate Lumen in a scene or import/turn on Nanite for the models in a scene,) but I believe it limits what you can actually export or make as far as actually using it right now to make anything like a "game". (It sounds like you can't even modify the game project that it comes with; you can move stuff around in the desert and throw some characters in there but I haven't seen anybody run a character through the demo world.) So, still early on that end if you're looking for much more than "does UE5 exist" and "do Nanite and Lumen work as promised?" Access is still early.
It's still early, but soon you'll be able to see all sorts of cool little indie projects using UE5. FYI you can use Quixel Bridge, including Meta Creator characters you made. It's not limited in that fashion except some other specialized plugins that are only 4.26 atm(DLSS, etc).

This guy's channel has all sorts of cool UE5 demos...

Last edited:

CamHostage

It's still early, but soon you'll be able to see all sorts of cool little indie projects using UE5. FYI you can use Quixel Bridge, including Meta Creator characters you made. It's not limited in that fashion except some other specialized plugins that are only 4.26 atm(DLSS, etc).

This guy's channel has all sorts of cool UE5 demos...

Yeah, seen some of those; I had been thinking of doing like a "Cool Shit Done in UE5 So Far" thread on GAF, but A) it's still mostly UE4 scenes with Nanite/Lumen turned on, or a billion-triangles model throwdown, and B) it's not actually that cool of shit yet if you're not into development since they cannot fully control the scene (AFAIK? I never played with Unreal, so there's C, I'm no authority to say what is cool and what is shit.)

But there's lots of cheats still because most of the UE5 experience seems to be locked out or incomplete. (Correct me where I'm wrong, please; I'm just going off glimpses rather than hands-on.)

Like those "Short Films", I believe what they're doing in each is just importing the idle animations they want for the "character interactions". They can't animate or assign AI to the figures, but if they have animation in the character file for idling that they can leave active, and if you cut idle gestures together just right right, it looks like everybody is standing around "talking" instead of just waving their hands around and nodding their heads occasionally. Looks like you can have one hero character who can be assigned to your own character model, and you can move him around your scene, but I have yet to see many dynamic actions (just the standard UE Avatar run/walk/jump moves,) you cannot use a gun or interact physically with an object besides standing on it. And then you can't seem to edit the actual "game" portion, so I've never seen somebody have Echo go off the path or meet the robot in the daytime or have 10 robot bosses instead of just one or have Echo swapped with like somebody's crummy Goku mannequin model.

(It is interesting that in this scene he was able to get it to throw off some sparks and follow a camera move, and then there's this Petra Lumen demo where the character is I believe walking around sequences where the GI is moving, either scripted moves or triggered with inputs. So you can do some more stuff than I understand the Early Access editor allows.)

BTW, the "Essence of Light" demo is the best I've seen so far of interactivity with a project file with UE5, in that there are multiple surface types with interactive effects (a pool of "lit" water, some unplanned emissions from lights on fabric models,) a lightsource you can nudge, and then a grand finale of another UE5 feature. I don't know how many aspects of this demo are "UE4 bits" (there is a bit of amusing "OMG" going on with people looking at some of the UE5 demos and they're basically just untouched UE4 project files that would run just as nicely and prettily in the 4.26...), but this Marvel Masters person has been around and they did some fun stuff with the tools here.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Safe to say we have rocks looking 100% photo realistic now.

lQrqqhJ.png

hlm666

Lumen is amazing , RT in game is a waste of resource.
So errr Lumen is amazing, but a waste in games.

"
Lumen is enabled for the project with Dynamic Global Illumination Method and Reflection Method selections.

Project Settings also contain other default settings that affect Lumen:

• Software Ray Tracing Mode provides options for how traces are performed.
  • Detail Tracing traces against individual mesh's Distance Fields for the highest quality render at a higher performance cost.
  • Global Tracing traces against the Global Distance Field for the fastest tracing at reduced quality.
  • Use Hardware Ray Tracing when available uses supported hardware to trace rays against scene geometry and otherwise defaults to Lumen's Software Ray Tracing when those criteria are not met. Support Hardware Ray Tracing is required to update the Hardware Ray Tracing Scene. For Early Access, tens of thousands of instances are supported and performance largely depends on your system hardware, and platform limitations. For example, some platforms recommend fewer than 40k instances and no more than 100k animated vertices. Improvements will be made in future releases.
  • Support Hardware Ray Tracing enables supported video cards, RHI, and operating systems to trace rays against scene geometry for the highest quality using Ray Tracing features.
  • Generate Mesh Distance Fields generates a Distance Fields representation for individual Static Meshes, which is needed for Software Ray Tracing in Lumen. It's also used with other dynamic lighting and shadowing methods using distance fields with movable Sky Light and Directional Lights
"

muteZX

Banned
At native 4K. Same rocky desert runs at 1080p30 on consoles. What performance did you expect from a 3090?

1440p/60.

"Lumen's Global Illumination and Reflections primary shipping target is to support large, open worlds running at 60 frames per second (fps) on next-generation consoles. The engine's High scalability level contains settings for Lumen targeting 60 fps." - docs. unrealengine.com

3090 expections .. not 36 fps with one avatar, one blue ball and one totally static desert ..

hlm666

1440p/60.

"Lumen's Global Illumination and Reflections primary shipping target is to support large, open worlds running at 60 frames per second (fps) on next-generation consoles. The engine's High scalability level contains settings for Lumen targeting 60 fps." - docs. unrealengine.com

3090 expections .. not 36 fps with one avatar, one blue ball and one totally static desert ..
1080p 30 on Epic settings and 60fps (still at 1080p) on high?

"Lumen defaults for the Epic scalability level are set for a 30 fps budget (8ms Global Illumination and Reflections) at 1080p on next-generation consoles. Lumen relies heavily on Unreal Engine 4's Temporal Upsampling with the new UE5 Temporal Super Resolution algorithm for 4k output. Under the High engine scalability level, Lumen uses defaults targeting 60 fps. Lumen is disabled under Low and Medium scalability levels."

ripeavocado

Banned
Title says it all.

Thank you for your service, now run it at native 4K.

muteZX

Banned
1080p 30 on Epic settings and 60fps (still at 1080p) on high?

"Lumen defaults for the Epic scalability level are set for a 30 fps budget (8ms Global Illumination and Reflections) at 1080p on next-generation consoles. Lumen relies heavily on Unreal Engine 4's Temporal Upsampling with the new UE5 Temporal Super Resolution algorithm for 4k output. Under the High engine scalability level, Lumen uses defaults targeting 60 fps. Lumen is disabled under Low and Medium scalability levels."
.. not giving a single fuck how bad it is running on 2000+ euro, 400 watt PC GPU ala 3090, sorry. Performance under UE5 editor /even afer compiling/ is laughable.

UE5 games for consoles will be 1440p-30/60 fps material.

hlm666

.. not giving a single fuck how bad it is running on 2000+ euro, 400 watt PC GPU ala 3090, sorry. Performance under UE5 editor /even afer compiling/ is laughable.

Hey don't shoot the messenger, I was just helping you post what epic say in their documentation. I actually forgot the link like you did aswell though so i'll fix that here so everyone can read what epic themselves say.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
We're probably still a year + away from seeing this engine in a game with all these bells and whistles, and consoles won't be able to push all of this and maintain 60fps at a good resolution.

This is all just pure masturbation.

muteZX

Banned
Hey don't shoot the messenger, I was just helping you post what epic say in their documentation. I actually forgot the link like you did aswell though so i'll fix that here so everyone can read what epic themselves say.

one year old UE5 version on PS5 -

Nick Penwarden, VP of Engineering, said:

“When GPU load gets high we can lower the screen resolution a bit, and then we can adapt to that. In the demo, we actually did use dynamic resolution, although it ends up rendering at about 1440p most of the time.”

"It should be said that the demo that we saw on the move from PlayStation 5 was rendering at 1440p most of the time because it did so at dynamic resolution. The question was the FPS, which came in at 30 images per second, but the Penwarden team expects that figure to double when the engine becomes part of the market beginning in late 2021."

.. as I said .. 1440p/30-60 .. done.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
CamHostage CamHostage

You can absolutely build your own UE5 project outside of the Valley of Ancients project. You can with certainty use nanite meshes right out Quixel Bridge from within UE5(no Valley Ancients project invovled), along with Meta Humans. You can also edit the Ancients project in whatever manner you desire.

Are you asking why nobody has made a native UE5 game in under a week?

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
At native 4K. Same rocky desert runs at 1080p30 on consoles. What performance did you expect from a 3090?
idk honestly. I expected better.
I know it is unlimited geometry detail but it does not translate to that clear real advantage at least in the demo

martino

feedback playing with the demo 20 minutes:
Hdd struggle hard with lot of stutter with my config
Less tutter on Sata ssd but my 1080ti performance is not great (resolution is 1440p)
Depending where i am in the environment details are crazy without noticing transition even 20 cm of asset or even waiting one minute no detail are ever resolved
Also there are strange artifact arround the character when you move that become a lot more obvious running the demo without video compression

did someone try to play with gameusersettings.ini ? if yes how can we play with resolution with it ?

edit: playing a little more with it lighting is hidding the misery in the canyon overall every assets are not looking great when you are near them.

Last edited:

Ah yes, performance is laughable when the 3090 pushes at least 4x the pixels compared to consoles. If that's laughable, how would you describe the console performance then?

Top Bottom