• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Jedi Survivor PC Performance Discussion OT: May The Port Be With You

winjer

Gold Member
5XuokMq.png

TheGejsza

Seems like quite a few important performance fixes on PC. I am curious about e-core utilisation. On my i7 13700 with RT on I am mostly CPU bound and while I can hold 60FPS+ my 4090 is usage shows 60-80%. And game stutters as hell.

As for playing without RT I can see my GPU usage goes to 100%. With FSR Quality (which looks sharper than TAA) I am hoovering around 90-120 FPS if I am not limited by CPU. In Koboh village I am down to around 70FPS with GPU usage around 80%.

Would be great if I could push 120FPS without RT and around 90-100FPS with RT On.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Traversal hitching is pretty much my only complaint with the game. Otherwise it performs pretty well for the visuals it provides.
Getting 40-50FPS @4K FSR2Q with everything on Epic + Raytracing on a GPU from 2020 is really nice, considering this is probably the best looking videogame I played on PC yet.

The game is indeed pushing VRAM a lot, going over 15GB at times. Thankfully, I had the foresight to get a GPU with 16GB at the time.

Last edited:

TheGejsza

considering this is probably the best looking videogame I played on PC yet.
I have a mixed feeling about it for now - but I just saw two planets - Coruscant looked really gorgeous but was a bit streamlined with very similar locations. Koboh looks technically way worse and generally I don't see the justification for such a high system requirements. Also the visuals are incoherent - some locations looks like true current-gen while others looks like PS3 era stuff - I noticed that in some areas the vegetation is missing any shadows or Ambient Occlusion which gives me this off-putting PS3 era feeling.

From technical point of view RE4 Remake was way better IMHO but the art style and Star Wars aesthetic does the job here - art direction and SW feeling is superb - the Pyloon's Saloon look so god damn cool and so true to the original trilogy aestethic. The game got this oldschool star wars vibe.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I have a mixed feeling about it for now - but I just saw two planets - Coruscant looked really gorgeous but was a bit streamlined with very similar locations. Koboh looks technically way worse and generally I don't see the justification for such a high system requirements. Also the visuals are incoherent - some locations looks like true current-gen while others looks like PS3 era stuff - I noticed that in some areas the vegetation is missing any shadows or Ambient Occlusion which gives me this off-putting PS3 era feeling.

From technical point of view RE4 Remake was way better IMHO but the art style and Star Wars aesthetic does the job here - art direction and SW feeling is superb - the Pyloon's Saloon look so god damn cool and so true to the original trilogy aestethic. The game got this oldschool star wars vibe.

Koboh has probably some of the most detailed rock formations I've seen in a videogame, geometry and texture-wise. The only example I've seen that surpasses those are the UE5 demos.
I too think the vegetation, or rather its insertion into the ground, is a bit lacking. I wonder if this is something they'll ever fix.

FingerBang

Man, really want to play this game but in a way I'm happy it's completely broken so I can focus on my backlog.

I do think it would still run pretty well on my 7950x3D + 4090, but I'll happily wait a bit longer.

Bojji

So with a 4090 and 5800x cpu run this ok? holding back or considering PS5

Without RT you will get very good performance, only CPU limited in some locations but you still should be 50fps + there. PC version is much better than PS5 version where you are limited to ok looking 30fps mode or shit looking performance mode that isn't 60fps most of the time.

We will see what new patch brings in.

winjer

Gold Member
Koboh has probably some of the most detailed rock formations I've seen in a videogame, geometry and texture-wise. The only example I've seen that surpasses those are the UE5 demos.
I too think the vegetation, or rather its insertion into the ground, is a bit lacking. I wonder if this is something they'll ever fix.

Very true. It looks really good.
The only issue is LOD transitions, as they are very noticeable. Nanite would do wonders in this situation, but alas, this is still UE4.

Rea

Seems like quite a few important performance fixes on PC. I am curious about e-core utilisation. On my i7 13700 with RT on I am mostly CPU bound and while I can hold 60FPS+ my 4090 is usage shows 60-80%. And game stutters as hell.

As for playing without RT I can see my GPU usage goes to 100%. With FSR Quality (which looks sharper than TAA) I am hoovering around 90-120 FPS if I am not limited by CPU. In Koboh village I am down to around 70FPS with GPU usage around 80%.

Would be great if I could push 120FPS without RT and around 90-100FPS with RT On.
What's your OS version? I have the same CPU and GPU as you. Might be buying if the performance is ok now.

TheGejsza

What's your OS version? I have the same CPU and GPU as you. Might be buying if the performance is ok now.
W11 - I would say it's playable although without RT for now. But the performance could be a bit better - without FSR you should be hoovering around 60-90 FPS with occasional dips to mid 50. I planed to play without FSR because in most games I played FSR was quite bad but TAA in Jedi Survivor adds sooo much blur that enabling FSR Quality gives way cleaner image. The only issue is shimmering/artifacting on vegetation but on my 27 inch display in 4k it's almost not visible.

With RT I have a lot of random stuttering on top of traversal stuttering so it's a no go for me.

Reactions: Rea

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Man, really want to play this game but in a way I'm happy it's completely broken so I can focus on my backlog.

I do think it would still run pretty well on my 7950x3D + 4090, but I'll happily wait a bit longer.

The main thing pushing back the overall performance in this game is the asset loading code that was apparently injected into rendering tasks.
There's a patch coming to solve that, at least.

Regardless, you liked the first game then don't lose out on this sequel because it's awesome.

TheGejsza

Damn, I just realized that 12th/13th gen cpu and RT streaming fixes will come "soon" and not in the next patch...

FingerBang

The main thing pushing back the overall performance in this game is the asset loading code that was apparently injected into rendering tasks.
There's a patch coming to solve that, at least.

Regardless, you liked the first game then don't lose out on this sequel because it's awesome.
Yeah, it looks amazing for what I've seen (which isn't much cause I hate spoilers), but I also want to enjoy it and don't want to support half-assed releases.

I'm happy waiting a bit, will definitely play it in the coming months.

lukilladog

Project manager telling EA executives that they need 6 more months to fix the port for release:

computer-pc.gif

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
I think my game is bugged. I have blocked the wind but the structure still keeps spinning. I only have 1 save and have already restarted the game. Am I missing something?

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
The 0.1 and 1% lows are still trash. Mine go all the way down to 18 fps at 1440p. But i see the point you are trying to make.
There are still hitches and traversal stutter but this is insane to see. Performance with patches has increased as much as 75% for some configurations.

Dreathlock

So the PC version runs like crap because it is build around next gen consoles and next gen consoles run like crap because..... ????

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I think my game is bugged. I have blocked the wind but the structure still keeps spinning. I only have 1 save and have already restarted the game. Am I missing something?

watch a walkthrough of this section. i think you need an ability cross this chasm.

hlm666

I wonder if those performance improvements came so fast because the guy on twitter who posted the traces and made fun of how bad the stalls were in the render thread gave them a hint on where to start.

winjer

Gold Member
How comes Days Gone PC didnt have these issues?

Especially when it had notoriously bad stutters on the PS4?

In part, because it uses DX11. And it also isn't pushing an asset system this hard.
But Days Gone also had some stutters from traversal. Quite a few users reported this.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
There are still hitches and traversal stutter but this is insane to see. Performance with patches has increased as much as 75% for some configurations.
It's a good start, but this really wont fix the 1% drops which are so prevalent in this game even after this patch.

They have to focus on their streaming tech. Do we know if the PS5 and XSX have the same stutters while exploring the koboh town and especially inside the saloon?

Kataploom

Gold Member
I wonder if those performance improvements came so fast because the guy on twitter who posted the traces and made fun of how bad the stalls were in the render thread gave them a hint on where to start.
That's data they can get from a profiler easily... Or just quickly reading the code, they just didn't have a proper senior surpassing the work or the senior in charge saw they didn't have much time left so decided to approve it like that anyway

gow3isben

So how is this now on PS5 to play? I was planning to purchase in a couple days on PS5. Playable and improved?

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I wanted to try the game now, but the launcher can't do a simple fucking update. He does it again and again.
Good game but trash launcher and trash company. I haven't bought an EA game in a long time and I won't do it again.

winjer

Gold Member
No opinions on the stutters/minute on PC with the latest patch?

It's significantly better than when the game released, but not perfect.
It still has stutters, mostly in the same places, but these are smaller and a bit less jarring.
In my case, the only place where stuttering and performance was bad, was in the koboh village.

Ywap

It's significantly better than when the game released, but not perfect.
It still has stutters, mostly in the same places, but these are smaller and a bit less jarring.
In my case, the only place where stuttering and performance was bad, was in the koboh village.
I see, thx alot sir (y) Think i´m gonna wait for some additional improvements then.

NeonDelta

DLSS added

Patch 7 Details - September 5​

Patch 7 for Star Wars Jedi: Survivor arrives today for PC, PlayStation 5, and Xbox Series X | S.
Here are the fixes you can expect with this patch:
  • This patch introduces several performance-related improvements* on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X/S including:
    • Performance mode has been completely reworked to substantially improve player experience.
      • A number of GPU and CPU optimizations – along with disabling Ray Tracing – has resulted in a better player experience, including a solid 60 FPS in Performance mode.
    • Quality Mode has also received optimizations to help reduce FPS fluctuation and introduce other visual improvements.
  • Variable Refresh Rate support added for PS5.
  • Additional performance & optimization improvements for PC, including DLSS support.
  • Save system tweaks to help prevent save game corruption.
  • Fixed issues where players could not retrieve their XP after dying under certain circumstances.
  • Various crash fixes.
  • Various bug fixes & improvements across all platforms, including fixes for cloth, lighting, and UI.
* Note: Cinematics in Star Wars Jedi: Survivor on console are locked to 30 frames per second.
Thank you all for the continued support you’ve given Star Wars Jedi: Survivor while we’ve been hard at work on patches. As always, let us know if you run into any additional issues.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I was wondering about that game these days, I started playing something else but I really wanted to give it a try, as it's been so long since game released I thought it was just left in that state

TheUsual

Gold Member
Hot damn...will watch for new videos for this new patch. Hopefully goes on sale this fall for the Holidays and I'll check out the PC version

Azaroth

Just finished the game a couple days ago on PC, sure would have been nice to have DLSS during my play through. Ah well, may fire it up today just out of curiosity to see what the performance is like with this patch.

Last edited:
Fair play I figured they had bailed and moved on.

Runs fine on my PC already but the console and lower end PC experience was terrible - not sure why they didn't just offer a RT toggle day one and save all the bad press unless they have done more than just toggle it like bake in some better raster lighting or something as it was apparently weird looking in places with no RT.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
fuck yea, as a ps5 owner, time to jump in......

After im done with AC6

DLSS added

Patch 7 Details - September 5​

Patch 7 for Star Wars Jedi: Survivor arrives today for PC, PlayStation 5, and Xbox Series X | S.
Here are the fixes you can expect with this patch:
  • This patch introduces several performance-related improvements* on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X/S including:
    • Performance mode has been completely reworked to substantially improve player experience.
      • A number of GPU and CPU optimizations – along with disabling Ray Tracing – has resulted in a better player experience, including a solid 60 FPS in Performance mode.
    • Quality Mode has also received optimizations to help reduce FPS fluctuation and introduce other visual improvements.
  • Variable Refresh Rate support added for PS5.
  • Additional performance & optimization improvements for PC, including DLSS support.
  • Save system tweaks to help prevent save game corruption.
  • Fixed issues where players could not retrieve their XP after dying under certain circumstances.
  • Various crash fixes.
  • Various bug fixes & improvements across all platforms, including fixes for cloth, lighting, and UI.
* Note: Cinematics in Star Wars Jedi: Survivor on console are locked to 30 frames per second.
Thank you all for the continued support you’ve given Star Wars Jedi: Survivor while we’ve been hard at work on patches. As always, let us know if you run into any additional issues.
That's stunning. I guess they figured while they were downgrading it for the last gen consoles, they might as well apply what they learned to the current gen versions.

Top Bottom