• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 285: Jones vs. Gane - T-Mobile Arena - March 4

Who wins: Jones or Gane? Shevchenko or Grasso? Neal or Rakhmonov?

• Jones, Shevchenko, Neal.

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Jones, Grasso, Neal.

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Jones, Shevchenko, Rakhmonov.

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Jones, Grasso, Rakhmonov.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gane, Shevchenko, Neal.

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Gane, Grasso, Neal.

• Gane, Shevchenko, Rakhmonov.

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • Gane, Grasso, Rakhmonov.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GymWolf

Well I was wrong about Shev but god damn ... I've always been a Jones fan ... he's the GOAT. Without a fucking doubt.

Shitty person. GOAT fighter.

Also he'll work anyone at heavyweight. LHW was much tougher competition.
I can only see blades\Spivac giving him a fight because of his wrestling credentials or aspinal if he recover well from the injury but not big threats from these 2 neither tbh, i thought gane was his major challenge in the division (him and ngannou for the scary power)

Last edited:

Carton

I can only see blades giving him a fight because of his wrestling credentials or aspinal if he recover well from the injury but not big threats from these 2 neither tbh, i thought gane was his major challenge in the division (him and ngannou for the scary power)
Stipe is definitely a major challenge for him too. I thought Jones was going to struggle with Gane on the feet then burn juice trying for takedowns after he’s taken damage, but he fought beautifully. Stipe, however, will be a threat on the feet and has good wrestling; it’ll be a great fight.

Bragr

Banned
Did Gane do anything? he looked like an amateur, just walking backward, getting lined up for a Jones takedown, looking like he never grappled in his life and got tapped by a guillotine.

People forgot just how insane Jones is with his grappling, his all-time great clinch game, superb takedown game, and tricky weird submission game are completely absurd, and he got super long limbs, even at 265, and use them in a way people aren't used to.

Still, he is 35 and got a gut, but as long as he uses his wrestling, this shitty fucking heavyweight division is gonna struggle to keep up with him. I'm not sure if anyone in that division even got a yellow belt in BJJ.

And Valentina getting tapped by a glorified neck crank, what a fuck.

My takeaways from last night.

1. Being a Shavkat fan since before he joined UFC, last night had me concerned a lot.

He was a lot sloppier in his standup than usual and was going full Khamzat (against Burns) in the standup department with reckless shit. Usually has good fighter IQ. I’ll chalk that up as being an off night. Hopefully he learned from last night and his first fight against a top 5 goes better. If he does fight Colby I think that is a good matchup because his grappling could negate Colby’s and Colby has pillow fists. One thing Colby has is elite cardio and just pressures the fuck out of his opponents. Shavkats striking is very reminiscent of Zabits. Super unorthodox and effective.

2. Bo seems to have it all and I’m excited for his future growth.

3. Jones won. We all expected that. He did look slower than at LHW but is still pure talent. Been off for three years so I’m sure he will adjust to his new weight over time. Stipe has better wrestling than Gane and amazing power so if he can keep it standing it should be interesting. There’s only one other person at HW currently that I think is a bad matchup for Jones stylistically and that’s Curtis Blaydes. Great wrestling and heavy hands.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Was it not just that he wanted more money?

Possibly but also his knees were busted in his last fight vs gane which is part of the reason he wrestled gane and maybe he didn’t like his chances at defending going forth and wanted to cash in his hype before the possible fall and I guess he thinks he can get it done and get a lot more boxing with Tyson hopefully he cashes in quick and then can make a return to fight Jones I don’t believe Dana for a second on Francis never fighting in ufc again. But the situation is still messy because Tyson still needs to do his fight with Usyk if that doesn’t happen soon I think Tyson said he will fight Francis

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That Gamrot fight was a snorefest. He's got to be among the most boring fighters ever if that's the style he does in his matches.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
didn't hear anything about police reports being filed all day so I guess Jon won the REAL main event to 285 his rematch against Vegas you just know Jon wanted to get lit his hands were probably
nervous i don't know GIF by GuiltyParty
all day congrats Jon good idea to bring his dad/bros for support and help keep him in check

That Gamrot fight was a snorefest. He's got to be among the most boring fighters ever if that's the style he does in his matches.

his fight against Armando shoryuken was pretty entertaining imo, but since he took this fight on I think 10 days notice I think that might've affected his performance hopefully he will have a full camp for the next one hes still a contender because of his grappling he shouldn't do short notice imo too risky especially seeing how he lost his last one. but he won so he can breathe for now

mxbison

Jones fight was a bit of a let down after such a long wait. As expected Gane had nothing for him on the ground but I wish we would've seen some more striking. Jones at HW honsetly remains a bit of a mystery.

Shev - Grasso was a good fight. Grasso has some really sharp boxing, I wish we had more WMMA fights this good. Great win for her.

Bo Nickal's nut shot into takedown combo was bullshit. Blind ref, blind/biased commentary, UFC deliberately not showing the replay angle where you could see it.

GymWolf

Jones fight was a bit of a let down after such a long wait. As expected Gane had nothing for him on the ground but I wish we would've seen some more striking. Jones at HW honsetly remains a bit of a mystery.

Shev - Grasso was a good fight. Grasso has some really sharp boxing, I wish we had more WMMA fights this good. Great win for her.

Bo Nickal's nut shot into takedown combo was bullshit. Blind ref, blind/biased commentary, UFC deliberately not showing the replay angle where you could see it.
Yeah, that groin shot situation was some bullshit.

I knew grasso had good boxing, if she can add some kicks and better td defence, the rematch is gonna be interesting, sheva is a weight bully at 125, she was much bigger than grasso.

DKehoe

Possibly but also his knees were busted in his last fight vs gane which is part of the reason he wrestled gane and maybe he didn’t like his chances at defending going forth and wanted to cash in his hype before the possible fall and I guess he thinks he can get it done and get a lot more boxing with Tyson hopefully he cashes in quick and then can make a return to fight Jones I don’t believe Dana for a second on Francis never fighting in ufc again. But the situation is still messy because Tyson still needs to do his fight with Usyk if that doesn’t happen soon I think Tyson said he will fight Francis
I don't really follow MMA anymore like I used to, just casually check in on things. So I'm not as in touch with things as I used to be. But a fighter deciding to leave because they know they can get paid much better elsewhere and then the UFC saying he's a pussy for not wanting to fight whoever is the next contender is something that's been going on for decades now.

Also, if Ngannou's body is starting to break down then all the more reason to cash in.

Jones is great but the heavyweight division is complete garbage. So many of them are just fat slobs who lumber forward looking to land haymakers.

Back in the Pride FC days there were multiple heavyweights who had been world champions in different disciplines. People like Fedor, Cro Cop, Josh Barnet, Yoshida and Mark Hunt. There's no one like that in the modern UFC. I think a big part of it is the way they have taken away fighter's ability to make money from sponsorship. Combined with the low pay, many champions from other disciplines probably don't think it's worth crossing over.

Futaleufu

Back in the Pride FC days there were multiple heavyweights who had been world champions in different disciplines. People like Fedor, Cro Cop, Josh Barnet, Yoshida and Mark Hunt. There's no one like that in the modern UFC. I think a big part of it is the way they have taken away fighter's ability to make money from sponsorship. Combined with the low pay, many champions from other disciplines probably don't think it's worth crossing over.

You know the HW division is trash when Derrick Lewis is a contender.

About the pay, it's so low they can't even entice fighters from ONE or KSW to join.

Top Bottom