• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - Season 2 - We get the Season we deserve - Sundays on HBO

Grinchy

Banned
Apparently it wasn't just GAF. But according to some here we all just wanna be cool and are jealous and if we're so judging how come we don't write something better

It's because we're all plugged into the GAF hivemind where opinions are given to us. We were told to shit on this show. It's impossible that it just so happens that a lot of people hated a terrible season of television.

Folks, let's knock off the metacommentary. If you want to criticize the show, make your argument. If you want to praise the show, take the time to explain what you like about it. Please refrain from rambling on about how "GAF thinks this" or "the haters think that". If you disagree with someone, refute their argument rather than insulting them. Thank you.

A few more pieces of recent content:

- Deadspin: True Detective Season 2 in 2 Minutes (video)
- NY Mag: The Modern Noir Has Atrophied (and It’s Not All True Detective’s Fault)
- Slate podcast: Spoiler Special: True Detective Season 2
In this episode, Slate’s TV critic, Willa Paskin, is joined by senior editor Laura Bennett and Slatest editor Ben Mathis-Lilley to discuss the second season of True Detective. Was Season 2’s plot as confusing as it seemed? Could the season have been salvaged? And can True Detective apologist Ben successfully defend it?
- Rolling Stone: Rick Springfield on Journey From Teen Heartthrob to 'True Detective'

Tokubetsu

Exactly. My biggest worry was how rushed it was compared to the first- and somehow I feel there was less critique laid on by friends or professionals, or he decided to ignore them. Who could say.

No one could write a show like the first in a year though, No one. What I felt he spat in S1 was Cormac McCarthy level in my eyes- never thought it could be topped in so little time... Unless a writing room was involved.

Definitely feels like it we got an early draft.

Why do publications keep referring to True Defective as noir?

It was pulp, and it was even bad at that.

probably because noir still has an air of legitimacy to it and, thus, makes any argument made against TD seem more legitimate as a by product. If youre ripping something that is a serious noir story it has more weight to it than something that touts itself as a pulp-y story.

Pulp makes it sound like something loose and not taking itself too seriously and, well, that's not at all what NP was going for.

Squalor

Exactly. My biggest worry was how rushed it was compared to the first- and somehow I feel there was less critique laid on by friends or professionals, or he decided to ignore them. Who could say.

No one could write a show like the first in a year though, No one. What I felt he spat in S1 was Cormac McCarthy level in my eyes- never thought it could be topped in so little time... Unless a writing room was involved.
While season one's scripts were actually "fantastic" on a line-by-line basis (plenty of clunky dialogue, shitty—excuse me—no character development for anyone not named Rust or Marty), they were still much better than what we got this season. The plot on a basic level held together much better, and he had written a compelling world.

He worked on the first season for years and even borrowed a lot of material and ideas from a follow-up he was going to do for his book Galveston.

Kain

If we are comparing both seasons, season 2 didn't have Alexandra Daddario's boobs, so yeah, fat chance.

Hell, now that I think about it, that was an unfair comparison as almost nothing in the universe can top that chick.

Squalor

probably because noir still has an air of legitimacy to it and, thus, makes any argument made against TD seem more legitimate as a by product. If youre ripping something that is a serious noir story it has more weight to it than something that touts itself as a pulp-y story.

Pulp makes it sound like something loose and not taking itself too seriously and, well, that's not at all what NP was going for.
I get that to an extent, but, as I've said before in here to other members, we shouldn't judge this work based upon what Pizzolatto has said about it in interviews or based upon what we perceive his intentions to have been.

We should judge this work for what it is.

Foggy

I suspect a lot of the severe backlash is loud but not really representative of how many people actually hated it. There's no way that HBO thought for a second about canning the series or doing any sort of major creative pivot. If the internet viewing community was as large as it is loud then there's no way Hannibal would be in its current situation.

It was weird seeing reactions to certain scenes and how vitriolic it was. It's obvious that certain scenes hinged on how invested you were in the characters. If you like Frank, then the scene at the station works far better than if you just laugh at him. If you buy into Ray's character then the bit with his son was an inevitability. A cheesy salute coming from a man who clearly has no clue how to connect with his son; a clumsy, heartfelt moment. Then from the other end it's seen as a painful attempt at unironic schmaltz. He wrote so many of these scenes hinging on investment in the characters and if you were then they ranged from ok to fine to great. If you weren't, well then they just really sucked I guess. It's why I don't buy into this idea that the writing was an abject disaster, I just think it didn't work for people like the first one did. His existential angle was infused with the characters more naturally and it worked better as opposed to hard-boiled ornate dialogue mixed with existentialism mixed with character. It was just too esoteric for most. I just dug it.

I get that to an extent, but, as I've said before in here to other members, we shouldn't judge this work based upon what Pizzolatto has said about it in interviews or based upon what we perceive his intentions to have been.

We should judge this work for what it is.

Sure, but a fair means of comparison is to hold the current work up against an artist's previous work and to hold it up against other similar works.

My feeling, and apparently the feelings of many, are that this season doesn't hold up well in either of those categories. It's tonally all over the place, wanting to be part lynch, part wire, part hitchcock, etc but it's not only not exceptional at being any of those things but in an attempt to blend its various influences together it just feels like a complete mess.

Squalor

Sure, but a fair means of comparison is to hold the current work up against an artist's previous work and to hold it up against other similar works.

My feeling, and apparently the feelings of many, are that this season doesn't hold up well in either of those categories. It's tonally all over the place, wanting to be part lynch, part wire, part hitchcock, etc but it's not only not exceptional at being any of those things but in an attempt to blend its various influences together it just feels like a complete mess.
That has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. The season was bad. I have been upfront about that since episode one, haha.

Our conversation was about a noir or pulp designation for the season.

What he says and intended doesn't matter. We judge the show based upon what it is. It's pulp, bad pulp at that.

The problem was season 1 had these two gentlemen

xroBOmMl.jpg

Who had infectious, real and attention sucking chemistry. People complained that the villains were lacking or that several other characters weren't really notable but these two. DAMN. They made you overlook all the flaws.

Season 2 had 4 great actors that had ZERO chemistry with each other. It was practically like they were on different shows honestly. Go back to basics, give us a strong pair of leads. True chemistry.

Grinchy

Banned
Season 2 had 4 great actors that had ZERO chemistry with each other. It was practically like they were on different shows honestly. Go back to basics, give us a strong pair of leads. True chemistry.

One thing I really disliked was how Frank was so separate from everyone else the whole time (except Ray). Then, out of nowhere, he's teamed up with the whole crew. There was no buildup to that, there were no scenes that made us feel that uncomfortable transition. It was just, "Hey guys! I'm Frank! Nice to meet you guys, even the lady cop! I'll be helping you out from now on."

There were just so many missed opportunities like that for the characters to interact with each other to make us feel their connections. Instead, the show was filled with long scenes with vague dialog that barely hinted at who the characters were really supposed to be on the inside. I think that's why many people like myself felt nothing for these characters.

One thing I really disliked was how Frank was so separate from everyone else the whole time (except Ray). Then, out of nowhere, he's teamed up with the whole crew. There was no buildup to that, there were no scenes that made us feel that uncomfortable transition. It was just, "Hey guys! I'm Frank! Nice to meet you guys, even the lady cop! I'll be helping you out from now on."

There were just so many missed opportunities like that for the characters to interact with each other to make us feel their connections. Instead, the show was filled with long scenes with vague dialog that barely hinted at who the characters were really supposed to be on the inside. I think that's why many people like myself felt nothing for these characters.

Yeah exactly, also the usual short season with 4 notable characters meant a real lack of in depth internal exploration. Season 1 is basically 2 guys on different wavelengths grandually unspooling and establishing a strong connection with each other, the only thing they have in common is the dedication to their "duty". Little details like Woody's character mocking the size of the notepad Rust carried. Its subtle but very revealing. I felt no sense of detail or depth here. Colin and Mcadams were getting somewhere in the end but it was two little too late.

jmizzal

Season 2 felt like a different show, and not just because different actors, they tried to keep the mood, but it was just not the same.

I loved the story of season one, the interview process and showing what happened in the past and then bringing it back to the present

coleco

To me, the problem was not the number of characters but the writing. Plenty of time was wasted in useless monologues and petty scenes that added nothing. Many movies are able to define plenty of good characters in less than 2 hours.

The same Rust who had a pre-death hallucination of his daughter?
There's a gigantic difference between vocalizing an event and portraying it, if they had visualized Rust's fever dream it would have looked just as stupid and ridiculous.

While season one's scripts were actually "fantastic" on a line-by-line basis (plenty of clunky dialogue, shitty—excuse me—no character development for anyone not named Rust or Marty), they were still much better than what we got this season. The plot on a basic level held together much better, and he had written a compelling world.

He worked on the first season for years and even borrowed a lot of material and ideas from a follow-up he was going to do for his book Galveston.
Did not know it was an amalgamation. Interesting.

kirblar

Marty's wife was a more well-drawn character than anyone in S2. She was a person, not a collection of cliches.

Kadayi

Banned
I'm surprised about how hard he was on this season. So the reaction really is this bad all over? Yikes.

Conan plays to whatever is popular as narrative. The actual viewing figures weren't that bad, but that doesn't play to what makes for a skit his writers dream't up in the morning whilst they choked down coffee, bear claws and mediocrity.

I agree with people saying that the season was disappointing but saying it's a horrible show is too much. There are way worse shows out there that qualify as horrible, and this season is not one of them.

Sometimes I have the feeling it's either great or abysmal, nothing in between.

^ Seconded.

I quite liked listening to Idle thumbs podcast about the series tbh.

https://www.idlethumbs.net/truedetective

Albeit that rightly identified problems with the show, they were able to get beyond those aspects and appreciate the positives.

url=http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2015/08/11/true_detective_season_2_podcast_review_spoiler_special_on_the_second_season.html]Spoiler Special: True Detective Season 2[/url]]

Uggh. Gotta like how the hosts argument principally seems to be one where in 'the consensus says it's bad'. It's that not they can assert to its qualities themselves, it's that others (presumably critics) have said so, therefore it must be the case. She says all the actors are bad (the height of articulation btw), and yet I'm hard pressed to recall anyone damning Rachel McAdams or Colin Farrells performances. Yet now apparently they're bad performances as well? Go home Slate, you're drunk.

Adalian for NY Mag looking at the viewership numbers, HBO's rep, and what the plan might be for TD S3:

- NY Mag: True Detective Season Two: Assessing the Damage to HBO's Once-Promising Franchise
As noted earlier, even with this season’s drop-off, True Detective remains a very big show for HBO. Hate-watching or not, plenty of viewers came back to check out season two, and most stayed with it to the bitter end. But the ratings performance for this season has to be a disappointment for HBO executives. Premium cable’s most successful dramas in recent years — Game of Thrones and True Blood on HBO, Homeland on Showtime, and Power on Starz — have all shown significant ratings growth in their second seasons. At the dawn of TDS2, that pattern seemed ready to be repeated. Instead, True Detective followed the Nielsen trajectory of some of HBO’s more recent drama disappointments, such as the ultimately short-lived The Newsroom and the moderately successful but never-breakout Boardwalk Empire. Given the crush of negative critical notices and poor online chatter, it’s hard not to conclude that TDS2 halted, and even reversed, momentum for a franchise that seemed poised to take off this year.

The silver lining for True Detective, of course, is that it is a series that can reset itself every cycle. The show isn’t locked into characters, story lines, or even themes that might limit the possibility of a course correction. As with FX’s American Horror Story and, potentially, Fargo, HBO has still established a powerful series brand that can cut through the clutter and, potentially, get viewers invested once more. Assuming HBO opts to keep that brand alive, the biggest mystery surrounding a potential True Detective season three is not who will be cast in the project, but what changes might take place behind the scenes.

There’s been absolutely no indication that anybody at HBO is even considering the idea, but a version of True Detective without series creator Nic Pizzolatto is most definitely within the realm of possibility. After all, the network green-lit season two without the involvement of original director Cary Fukunaga, and Fukunaga was as essential to season one as Pizzolatto. Bringing in a new writer to helm the show would underline the fact that True Detective is at heart an anthology series or a mini-series, no matter what category it competes in for the Emmys. In the same way The Best American … book anthology annually selects different editors to identify the best magazine or science-fiction writing, perhaps HBO could turn True Detective into a playground for writers and directors as well as actors. Agnieszka Holland or Gina Prince-Bythewood’s True Detective could be pretty amazing. Or, if HBO wanted to keep some sort of constant associated with the show, why not get Fukunaga to return, and allow him to choose a new writing partner? To assuage any egos, the network might even announce a two-season commitment to True Detective, giving Fukunaga the reins for season three and Pizzolatto plenty of time to begin work on season four.

What’s more likely, however, is that HBO will take a more conventional path, and simply bring back both True Detective and Pizzolatto, hoping the writer learned some lessons from season two and makes enough changes to right his ship. This strategy carries significant risk, however. If the scribe’s third at-bat has similar issues, it’s hard to imagine ratings not declining even more significantly in season three: Viewers, burned by season two, simply won’t be as patient. Worse, another bad season could actually tarnish HBO’s brand as a network that consistently makes great TV. The network has had its share of misfires over the year, but few have started off with so much praise and ended up the subject of so much ridicule. If a third season of True Detective is seen as another creative failure, HBO will have a lot more to worry about than disappointing Nielsen numbers.
More via the link.

At the very least they need to ensure that he gets more of an editorial team around him willing to say that some things don't work.

I don't think the main through line of the story seemed that bad, but there was so much extraneous stuff weighing it down.

The problem was season 1 had these two gentlemen

xroBOmMl.jpg

Who had infectious, real and attention sucking chemistry. People complained that the villains were lacking or that several other characters weren't really notable but these two. DAMN. They made you overlook all the flaws.

Those two wouldn't have salvaged season 2. The script sucked ass.

Squalor

Marty's wife was a more well-drawn character than anyone in S2. She was a person, not a collection of cliches.
Hahaha, no, she wasn't.
Conan plays to whatever is popular as narrative. The actual viewing figures weren't that bad, but that doesn't play to what makes for a skit his writers dream't up in the morning whilst they choked down coffee, bear claws and mediocrity.
Viewers dropped pretty significantly episode to episode.

"Other Lives," the episode-five reset, slightly improved upon the fourth, and the final improved upon the seventh, but the finale was still behind the first two episodes of the season.

Overall, that's not a particularly good sign.

Well I finished it. 5 out of 10 at best haha. Could not believe how bad some of the stuff this season was. At least it was occassionally was so bad it was funny, but unfortunately it was mostly boring bad because conversations went on twice as long as they needed to thanks pizza-mans jerk-off dialogue style where people repeat what the others just said in the form of a question and things take 30 words to say what could have been said in 5. Vince Vaughn was bad too. I wanted to give him a chance but he was bad the whole way through.

DeSo

Banned
It's a shame it took until the last two episodes for the season to show its hand. Too little, too late.

cLOUDo

Man, the pizza-hate is in full force.

Again, we have to keep in mind that Pizzolato polished the first season's story over a period of 5-6 years.

I envy no man who has to write 8.5 hours worth of drama in less than a year and is expected to follow up that first season. That is beyond a monumental task. It feeling unpolished and scrappy isn't super surprising - I don't care how talented a writer you are.

5 years to finish a season of 8 hours?!

Lol

5 years to finish a season of 8 hours?!

Lol
Wut. Do you know how much work it is to write a 2 hour movie, let alone an 8 episode story arc by yourself? That's easily 2-3 movies worth of material to produce. The average movie can take several months to a year to complete.

Not to mention he probably took less time to actually write and finish S1. 5-6 years was just how long from conception to it getting produced that he had to sit and stew on it.

Season 1 was also awesome and this one not so much, so maybe there is something to taking your time with this.

Anyway, a few days removed from the finale, it's grown on me. It's still not really good in my eyes but things that irritated me like the bad guys getting off too easily, the half assed attempt at hope, or the avoidable stupidity of Frank, Velcoro, and Woodrough's deaths don't bother me as much. I think if Pizza had a little more time he could have kept the same beats, but put more thought into their execution and it would have gone down a lot better. The only thing I really would have wanted changed was Ani being mostly sidelined during the finale.

Squalor

It was actually four years that he was working on what would become True Detective season one.

And he still only produced two worthwhile characters (setting as a character notwithstanding).

Squalor

Wait wtf does that even mean? A writer/project's talent or worth is defined by the number of well-written characters? Even if that work is specifically focused on a small number of characters?
It's surprising to you that character development and characterization are important to a work of fiction? Are you new to media?

True Detective wouldn't have been any worse had Pizzolatto developed Maggie more than just her being the cliché fed-up wife of one of the main characters. Then he just used her as a vaginal device to expedite the Marty-Rust fallout.

Wonderful character work there...

Developing her character wouldn't have detracted from the show or the time spent focusing on Martin and Rustin. She had enough screen time. Pizzolatto just chose not to do anything with it: she took care of the kids, was lonely because Marty was gone, got frustrated because Marty was gone or drunk, yelled at Marty because he was late or drunk. Then she fucked Rust.

Detectives Gilbough and Papania also had plenty of screen time. People had a hard time keeping them separate because they were pretty much just Black Detective #1 and Black Detective #2.

Lisa's character was just (fantastic) boobs and a vagina. Laurie, too, was just a device.

The first season was great, but to try to act as though there weren't faults is ridiculous.

It was actually four years that he was working on what would become True Detective season one.

And he still only produced two worthwhile characters (setting as a character notwithstanding).
Yeah I was just about to edit my post. He started writing in 2010 and it aired in 2014.

While I agree, I don't know if it would have made the show better if he lessened the focus from Marty and Rust. Those two where so good together that I think it would have significantly diluted the show if they made it more of an ensemble thing. I need to go and rewatch it again but S1 feels focused and pure to me. Two men, one case.

Season 2 had 4 leads but they were kinda wasted tbh, especially McAdams and Kitsch. Did Ani's gambling or porn thing go anywhere? Her sexual harassment case? What about Woodrough and the actress BJ? Woodrough's mom issues? Blackwater? What about him owning up to his sexuality? I guess dying to hide it was his stance on the whole thing.

Frank and Velcoro are also guilty of this but not as bad as the other two which is a shame because I thought Ani/Paul were almost as interesting (though I'm biased because I like both of them despite their cliche characters).

Nevermind the focus and importance on side characters this season sucked at setting up. It's sort of hilarious that Tony Chessani is basically the mastermind when the dude has one scene he speaks in the whole show, or that birdman shows up a total of 2 times (3 if you count the movie set) and these dudes basically are responsible for the rail line/murder plots.

Edit* oh yeah I agree if we aren't messing with the time spent on characters, Pizza could have made better use of the time he did spend on the other characters outside of Marty and Rust in S1.

Four years of work and all you get is the mediocre at best scripts of season one of TD?

That proves it's not the amount of time, Pizzolatto just doesn't have the goods.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Catching up on this, just finished 7 and going to start the finale. I think the last few eps have been much stronger, it's almost like a reverse season 1. Wish I had seen the thread's live reaction to the end of ep 7, even if it was predictable

Grinchy

Banned
So TD Season 3... wonder what'll be the set up.

It'll start with a public bombing. A gritty, alcoholic detective will be put on the case. There won't be much information to go off of, but they will suspect terrorism. They'll spend a few episodes in the middle east. A bunch of crazy shit will happen. But then the main character will come back home to the states with no progress made on the case.

In the last episode we'll find out that the bombing was conducted by a random librarian that the main character accidentally bumped into on the street in episode 1. The main character will say, "Hey buddy, watch it!" when they bump into each other. In the last episode we'll get a flashback of that event and we'll see the librarian smirk and say under his breath, "Oh no, true detective. YOU watch."

We'll be expected to remember this tiny and random encounter and we'll be expected to have noticed the librarian's name tag because the show will only refer to him by name. Then the main character will for some reason be heavily trained in nun chuck combat and he'll kill someone with nun chucks and no one will ever question him about it.

Sober

So TD Season 3... wonder what'll be the set up.
Reddit internet detectives. They will all be pieces of shit.

They get the scent that a woman did something like criticise video games or talk about feminism, so they go and dig dirt up on her or fabricate claims while wearing their fedoras.

On the other side of the law, a bunch of shitty detectives are assigned the case. They're brought in when these women want to report the internet harassment. But the detectives have absolutely no fucking clue how the internet works. These actual police detectives also have equally shitty lives. Twist, one of the real detective's kids is one of the internet detectives.

Unfortunately I don't know if Pizzolatto could pull it off. So let's just shelve it.

Top Bottom