• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective Season 4 to star Jodie Foster

I only watched the first episode, I really liked it. Reminded me of my favorite movie of all time The Thing. Which I then rewatched both The Thing and The Thing back to back again. Still my favorite.

Cursory skimming through this thread and trying to avoid spoilers...but it's not good I take it? Should I not waste my time? Stopped after the first episode to let the series build up so I could watch it in a big spurt.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
The guUuUurL PoOOowEr finale was incredibly cringe and implausible. I mentally tapped out after ep 2 but my wife was enjoying it so we finished it. Jodie Foster is an icon and turned in a great performance IMO.

Sadly I don’t think the pizza man would’ve done much better, but at least it wouldn’t have been steeped in woke nonsense. Season 2 was absolutely terrible.

Season 1 was lightning in a bottle and maybe it should’ve just been a one off like the excellent Mare of Easttown.

Mooreberg

Instead of wasting fifteen paragraphs on how awful this season was, this video does a great job explaining how much of a mess the whole thing was BEFORE the finale:

Then among the countless gaffes in the finale, you've got four that really stick out, and I'm not even talking about the scientist screaming "time is a flat circle":

01. A Michio Kaku wormhole theory could not even explain how that cave entrance, a scant amount of walking, and falling through the ice could land Navarro and Danvers directly underneath Tsalal. Not within binoculars distance upon reaching the surface. Not seventy five feet from the front door. Directly under the lab. 😂

02. John Hawkes, who played Hank Prior, explains that his character is the one that removed Annie's tongue to "send a message" for people to keep quite. Zero explanation as to how it was on the floor in the dining area, very well preserved, six years later.

03. Even if you but the explanation as to how the lead cleaning lady (ugh) stumbled upon the secret research area (despite not doing so in however many previous cleaning gigs they had at Tsalal), there is no explaining the other cleaning lady photographing case evidence at the police station. The computers were not password protected? Even working off of the "weak password" on the laptop from before, she wouldn't know nearly enough about the police to even guess. How would she even know how to navigate to evidence from a six year old case? Was there an "Annie K Murder" folder sitting on the desktop? This scene completely ridiculous.

And finally,
Screenshot-20240219-170154.png

This happened so quickly that I had to rewind to show it to the person I was watching the episode with. Navarro never even sees it.

The point at which Silent Hill NPCs are showing up that only the viewer can observe, you've totally flushed the plot down the toilet. Nothing about Julia Navarro's schizophrenia mattered. Nothing about pollution induced hallucinations matter. It's "ghosts". This was worse than a bad season of True Detective, it was a catastrophically shitty season of American Horror Story.

Billbofet

I'm genuinely rooting for the collapse of Hollywood now, that's the only way these brainless fucks will learn
Every single person on this board has pretty much hated this show. Every single person I know in my daily life who has seen this show hated it.
Am I just in a bubble? I can't even fathom enjoying this enough to want more. Especially after that finale....woof

Sonik

Bahahaha

Time is a flat fucking circle alright

Yeap

Take franchise with good reputation ---> hire brainlets that are either yes men or diversity hires ---> Negativity starts building but numbers look good because it's still riding the wave of the franchise's good reputation ---> Keep same people hired ----> Franchise collapses, terrible reputation now ---> "What happened? It was going so well at first with the people we hired" ---> Panic, abandon franchise ---> Take other franchise with good reputation

I am truly amazed at their stupidity, you don't have to be a genius to understand what these absolute morons have been doing for a decade now but no one is there to tell them. Shows how hopeless that industry is

Every single person on this board has pretty much hated this show. Every single person I know in my daily life who has seen this show hated it.
Am I just in a bubble? I can't even fathom enjoying this enough to want more. Especially after that finale....woof
Supposedly Season 4 has the highest viewership of the series, and that's all that matters to the bean counters at HBO

8bitpill

O3RT.gif

This is the entertainment industry at its best. They will force this garbage on the general public till you like it. Lower the standards of masses and they will eventually find it to be riveting.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

I can't...

I don’t think they paid money for reviews. They ensured good reviews by checking all the diversity boxes and pandering to the over the top leftists who run entertainment media.

- white man bad overarching story
- POC woman beating an adult man armed with an axe in a fistfight off camera
- the finale and answer to their mystery was a bunch of native american cleaning ladies killing the bad white men

This got good reviews the same way the terrible new Ghostbusters and a bunch of other junk did. And just like those movies nobody will remember this as being good.

Billbofet

I can't...

She doesn't realize how safe and critic-proof this show is.
When a show is this stacked with all the right checkmarks, critics are obliged to be positive for fear of blowback or reduction in access in the industry - not an out-and-out cash payout.
I think she's the ignorant one on this thinking she made some immaculate, daring, intellectually stimulating piece of art. If you strip away the pretense, this is one of the worst/basic whodunits in a detective show EVER!

I had to seek out this thread after watching E1. All I've seen are rave reviews and I just finished re-watching S1 last week so figured I'd give it a chance despite not being a fan of either S2 or S3.

I...don't get it. The only thing this has going for it is the setting and inherent mood. What the FUCK are these constant CGI animals!? Why is the writing utterly formulaic "cable cop show" drivel and stuffed full of stiff, generic men-are-bad scenarios? It's relentless. Instead of having compelling conversations or plot, entire scenes exist exclusively for this purpose. And none of it is clever or show, not tell. It's constant boring-ass exposition and "women being hurt" and random white men acting like degenerates. Of course the one that isn't so far, is mocked for his race several times within like 20 minutes and doesn't even acknowledge it.

This is PAINFULLY stilted feeling. S1 felt lived in, organic, dirty and first and foremost biblical and larger than life. There was something so elevated feeling about it, religious good and evil. This feels like a generic 202x cop show mixed with cheesy, half-assed Horror tropes. Worse, you can hear and feel the writer's obnoxious, loud agenda in every scene like the characters are only avatars for her Twitter rants. It has zero weight, nothing to transport me anywhere because it continuously grounds me with its transparent writing and cliches.

I can see why this has stellar scores now. This is the kind of thing modern reviewers go nuts over. As expected.

SJRB

Gold Member
> Pretty much everyone universally: "Wow this kind of sucked. I feel bad for watching this"
> HBO for some reason: "Let's fucking do that again"

I don't understand why this keeps happening. How do people with demonstratively bad results keep getting these jobs?

GymWolf

> Pretty much everyone universally: "Wow this kind of sucked. I feel bad for watching this"

I don't understand why this keeps happening. How do people with demonstratively bad results keep getting these jobs?
It's ac valhalla all over again.

The game sucked, everyone hates it, but it sold more than any other ac game and now we get an ac game per year.

Sometimes (insert fairytale religious figure of your choice) work in strange ways.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member

Turns out its not just "white cishet men failing upwards", its ONCE YOU ARE IN, YOU ARE IN.

This lady probably owes her job more to being able to get scripts done on time, filming complete without reshoots or overtime, and avoiding any major negative behavior than she does for any creative vision. The bidness of Hollywood is still bidness, it's about turning in "okay" product for $$.

Reckheim

yeh, finished watching it yesterday. It was pretty damn bad and the ending was absolutely horrible.

It felt like a b tier netflix show that was funded just to fill up a dry time in the schedule.

8bitpill

HBO/Max self hyping themselves up.

whitepeopledancing-dancing.gif

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Pretty much everything about it rubbed me up the wrong way from the start.

Horrible CG opening, horrible music, dreadful tin-ear dialogue... everything was wrong from the start. I could have lasted the episode and ended up with sore ribs from the constant woke elbowing, but there was nothing about the rest of it that I found to mitigate it.

Its extremely rare that I don't at least give shows a shot for an episode or two, but for me this just screamed irredeemable.

Sonik

Finally finished it.

I rate this season a C-. Still better than S2 imo, which I couldn't even finish.

When did you watch season 2 last time?

Because I have a theory that the people who think that season 2 was worse only say it because of their impressions back then when Hollywood wasn't such a goddamn disaster so their expectations were higher and even more so because of how good season 1 was. Colin Farrell's character alone was more interesting and well-thoughtout than all the characters of season 4 combined imo

Give Fargo season 5 a go, someone in this thread (Sorry that someone, I tried to go back over the thread but couldn't find you again..)

It's some seriously trippy shit. I'm up to episode 4, worth a watch.

Liking it so far 👍

No doubt better than this rancid turd.
It's really good!
When did you watch season 2 last time?

Because I have a theory that the people who think that season 2 was worse only say it because of their impressions back then when Hollywood wasn't such a goddamn disaster so their expectations were higher and even more so because of how good season 1 was. Colin Farrell's character alone was more interesting and well-thoughtout than all the characters of season 4 combined imo
You could be right.

Jorav

Just finished it. A pile of meh. The location and premise had potential but it got less and less interesting. Took me two goes to finish the last episode as i fell asleep. Time to watch Fargo.

tkscz

I mean, we've all seen the Disney leak that they force diversity hires over merit hires. Doesn't even matter if they're good at the job as long as they meet a literal check box they get the job. And Disney is not backing down from this if that memo from the executive is to be believed.

Hugare

Just redirect and watch any of these instead.

5-Sj3-Xj-YWy-Xu9flc6y-FEsg-WU0d-Q0-result.jpg
u-Od2y-MAxhfvw-Nd0pk-Vap-Hg-Rk1c1-result.jpg
78a-K4-Msbr22-A5-PGa6-PZV0p-Avdwf-result.jpg
1-SGovj2q-Ddk-Jexvh-Fi-Xllj9-EYfu-result.jpg
3uwfadmji-TMWKBh-Zams-RJJPf9c-R-result.jpg
u6v-KMe-FEfz9s-Jun65-EZgp4ltr9r-result.jpg
fb-KE87mojp-IETWep-Sb-D5-Qt741fp-result.jpg

mat-O9b040ibkvi-ZV5mm-Dd-Kp-QMEV-result.jpg
xe-Kfy7m8r-Pl08m-Q6-Zfbkg-Oy6-Hdj-result.jpg
d-YHo-Nzcp-QXz-U2q-BMZYby-Onrcuvi-result.jpg
51345-se7en-0-500-0-750-crop-result.jpg
q-KQIj-Er-Ya-N149h-ZRP5-Vgf8-Ro-C7-S-0-500-0-750-crop-result.jpg
51737-mystic-river-0-500-0-750-crop-result.jpg
48541-the-pledge-0-500-0-750-crop-result.jpg

pb-V2e-Ln-KSIm1ep-SZt473-UYfqae-Z-result.jpg
51782-the-silence-of-the-lambs-0-500-0-750-crop-result.jpg
45288-manhunter-0-500-0-750-crop-result.jpg
47067-red-dragon-0-500-0-750-crop-result.jpg
6-IW3-Q2-I9yz-Icvk7-KF1-Xjf-D6p3e-J-0-500-0-750-crop-result.jpg
51739-insomnia-0-500-0-750-crop-result.jpg
35187-insomnia-0-500-0-750-crop-result.jpg
Go to check some

I've watched Mare of Easttown recently after TD S4, and tho it was better, it was still pretty lame in places.

Wtf was that Guy Pearce character? So many odd script moments. It was ok, but eh.

Just started Fargo. Its been a long time since I watched the movie, but it seems almost 1-1 from what I remember.

thefool

The Missing is a good show (both seasons) if you want to check a detective/crime investigation story. It obviously doesn't have the gravitas of TD S1 but its enjoyable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom