• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - Season 2 - We get the Season we deserve - Sundays on HBO

Rur0ni

I suspect a lot of the severe backlash is loud but not really representative of how many people actually hated it. There's no way that HBO thought for a second about canning the series or doing any sort of major creative pivot. If the internet viewing community was as large as it is loud then there's no way Hannibal would be in its current situation.

It was weird seeing reactions to certain scenes and how vitriolic it was. It's obvious that certain scenes hinged on how invested you were in the characters. If you like Frank, then the scene at the station works far better than if you just laugh at him. If you buy into Ray's character then the bit with his son was an inevitability. A cheesy salute coming from a man who clearly has no clue how to connect with his son; a clumsy, heartfelt moment. Then from the other end it's seen as a painful attempt at unironic schmaltz. He wrote so many of these scenes hinging on investment in the characters and if you were then they ranged from ok to fine to great. If you weren't, well then they just really sucked I guess. It's why I don't buy into this idea that the writing was an abject disaster, I just think it didn't work for people like the first one did. His existential angle was infused with the characters more naturally and it worked better as opposed to hard-boiled ornate dialogue mixed with existentialism mixed with character. It was just too esoteric for most. I just dug it.

Catching up on this, just finished 7 and going to start the finale. I think the last few eps have been much stronger, it's almost like a reverse season 1. Wish I had seen the thread's live reaction to the end of ep 7, even if it was predictable
Agree. Looking forward to S3.

I guess as Sculli mentioned, by the time each character was being offed, I actually cared enough to feel some tension.

CassSept

I've only just watched the first episode, holy hell that was dull.

Is it really just not worth bothering with this season?

There are flashes of decent story here and there but they are totally overwhelmed by meandering character development that feels meaningless because they are uninteresting. It tries so hard to be deep, dark and edgy that often it feels like True Detective parody. Plot revelations are alternately predictable, meaningless and confounding because focus on given aspects of the show is out of whack. Key plot characters appear for barely a moment, so that Nic can get more time to drone on with tired monologues.

There is some incredible bad writing at display here though, if you're into that kind of thing. I don't know if I could stomach it if I didn't follow it at a weekly basis, but some of the quotes that were repeated numerous times in this very thread are simply unbelievable. Of course, there is always some value in watching anything if only to formulate your own opinion on it and you might be just one of those who truly enjoyed it, but a common opinion among viewers and critics is that season 2 of TD was a total misfire.

Grantland has a write-up that mirrors my feelings. After a pretty lengthy defense/praise of what the show was trying to do:

Everything else about this season is essentially nonsense. I don’t mean I didn’t understand what happened — though it’s worth noting that whenever an explainer about a season of television is more critically lauded than the season of television it’s explaining, it’s a pretty clear indication of how messily the story is being told. I mean that this season of True Detective didn’t amount to anything.

There was no exhilaration in any of the last two or three episodes’ info dumps. There was no sense of justice when Ani delivers the whole sordid tale — the vast conspiracy of shadowy conglomerates, local and state officials, various arms of the law, the Russian mob, Mexican cartels, presumptive governors, toxic waste dumping, and L.A.-riot-era diamond heists — to the Los Angeles Times reporter who was once beat up by one of the story’s main characters. I didn’t feel any ache for Frank and Jordan as they role-played being angry at one another, throwing their dumb rings out the stupid door and having several more minutes of their moronic conversation about designs and babies and gray and us. I didn’t even really blink when the second and third of the four main characters of this show were killed.

AHA-Lambda

Oh bugger it, I couldn't even take any more of Vince Vaughn's monologuing at the start of the second episode. I can't do it, not when I hear it's not worth it >_>

Oh bugger it, I couldn't even take any more of Vince Vaughn's monologuing at the start of the second episode. I can't do it, not when I hear it's not worth it >_>

Last two episodes are decent action and acting-wise. But yes, never reaches the highs of S1 or many tv shows for that matter.

When you're suffering through the season just remember that sweet one shot scene of TD s1 that made you get so hard over how good it was. Good times.

This season was fucking garbage.

I didn't keep up whatsoever and thought I'd treat myself to a nice binge session. My mind is in a state of fuck right now. I've got that light headed feeling like I'm high but instead of a tinge of happiness it's fury. What the fuck? Just what the fucking fuck? What was the point of anything? I know what happened, it's not even that. This wasn't a worthwhile story. Political corruption, orgies, seedy shit, this could have been so fucking dope. Colin Ferell worked that shitty material like his life depended on it. Outside of 1-emotion Kitsch everyone did their thing. The material was garbage. Dialogue, scene structure, transitions. Name drops everywhere. Conversation scenes were 2 minutes tops cut away to spaghetti highway for the 1500th time and then cut back moments later. The whole thing was horribly disjointed on top of being nonsensical to begin with. This season was a clinic on how to fuck up and still get paid. If only all of us had that luxury.

That was some frustrating television and a complete waste of weeks anticipation.

Frog-fu

Banned
So TD Season 3... wonder what'll be the set up.

The formula thus far is: broken characters + dark genre + influential locale = season

Season 1 = broken characters + occult + deep south Louisiana
Season 2 = broken characters + neo noir + LA

Season 3 is probably going to return to darker themes. I'm guessing dark fantasy and somewhere cold for a change; up north New York or remote place in Montana, North Dakota or Minnesota.

kirblar

The formula thus far is: broken characters + dark genre + influential locale = season

Season 3 is probably going to return to darker themes. I'm guessing dark fantasy and somewhere cold for a change; up north New York or remote place in Montana, North Dakota or Minnesota.
They're not going to do cold weather and invite the Fargo comparisons.

SpacLock

So TD Season 3... wonder what'll be the set up.

Detectives:

Tom Cruise (never happen)
Morgan Freeman

Small town Alaska with a screwed up day/night cycle. Yeah, like Insomnia.

Case:

Serial killer.

Cary back in the director chair. (never happen)

Oh come on, that would be fan-fucking-tastic and you all know it.

Frog-fu

Banned
They're not going to do cold weather and invite the Fargo comparisons.

I don't think they'll be overly concerned with that considering they don't air anywhere particularly close each other.

Detectives:

Tom Cruise (never happen)
Morgan Freeman

Small town Alaska with a screwed up day/night cycle. Yeah, like Insomnia.

Case:

Serial killer.

Cary back in the director chair. (never happen)

Oh come on, that would be fan-fucking-tastic and you all know it.

Cruise ain't happening. The man has a full plate. Freeman might be game though.

Still, I'd rather have these two team up again.
Dutch--Claudette-The-Shield_gallery_primary.jpg

Though I would welcome a new duo altogether.

I don't think they'll be overly concerned with that considering they don't air anywhere particularly close each other.

Cruise ain't happening. The man has a full plate. Freeman might be game though.

Still, I'd rather have these two team up again.
[IM]http://cdn.hitfix.com/photos/4781471/Dutch--Claudette-The-Shield_gallery_primary.jpg[/IMG]

Though I would welcome a new duo altogether.

Ain't happening, dream team right here
Ji6jpvf.jpg

Would've been my first suggestion too but Dominic West got a new show, The Affair, which is supposedly doing really well so I doubt he'll have the time.

Pffffffffffffft

they tell him

"Ay. McNutty. You. The Bunk. HBO. Alcohol. You down?"

He'll be long gone from the affair by the time he hears Bunk

Season finale was so bad, I'm gonna rewatch season one over the next four days, first time since it ended, just to forget season two quicker.

Season three: get back creepy factor and trim the fat.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Season 3 should give me what S2 made me think would happen.

Hotline Miami

It's weird how nothing came of that. Why the giant bird hat? It makes no sense (or was it explained? I don't know. fuck this show)

I liked what I could've been and I kept waiting for some piece to fall in place and for everything to make sense but it was so convoluted.

S3 needs about half as many speaking roles.

It's weird how nothing came of that. Why the giant bird hat? It makes no sense (or was it explained? I don't know. fuck this show)

I liked what I could've been and I kept waiting for some piece to fall in place and for everything to make sense but it was so convoluted.

S3 needs about half as many speaking roles.

only explanation was that Casper [?] was an avid collector of animal masks because that's his fetish I guess.

Imm0rt4l

I can't wait to see how pizzalatte receives criticism for this season. The criticism of season 1 not having any strong female leads was a weak and not really an indictment on the quality of work. But criticisms for this season are especially scathing on the quality and justified.

I like how the mystery didn't even feel it was a mystery. Partly because of how boing it was that I just didn't care, but also how obvious everything was from the get go. Like it shows you who all the corrupt people are, and it never goes much beyond "they are are all corrupt and did some bad things".

And then you add the ass characters. It even got really visually boring after the first episode, too, which I thought looked pretty decent despite being a step down from season 1.

And vince vaughn.

Just bad, bad, bad, bad.

Gotta stick with the "LA" theme. Season 3 will take place in Lake Athabasca, Canada.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Taylor was just one detective too many. Should have just left him out all together. There was some good chemistry between Ray and Ani in the last 2 to 3 episodes. Should have just been more of those two and more of Franks side.

gogosox82

So just finished watching this last night and I while I liked it, I think there were several flaws throughout the season that bothered me. (MASSIVE SPOILERS btw)

First, I never bought into Vince Vaughn being the Kingpen of Vinci they were portraying him as. It seems weird to have everyone in his inner circle cross him but not to just kill after the double cross happened. Why keep him around after that? Even if the deal goes south like it did, just kill him off because you know he's going to want his revenge. I never bought this relationship he had with his wife. God, those scenes always felt so forced and then all the scenes with the baby talk and the scene at the end where they throw the rings out the door. Just so bad. None of that felt believable and I just never believed that they were married or cared for each other.

Second, while I really liked Colin Farrell and Rachel McAdams in their roles, I don't think their characters ever went anywhere. They seem to be in the same place they were at the of the season as they were in the beginning. Both of them play complex characters and in the wrong hands, it could have been disaster so I give both of them credit for pulling off these roles but these characters never really evolve past how they are initially introduced. They show glimpses of going past that but then devolve back into the characters they have been established as being. Really disappointing considering how good they both were throughout the season. They just weren't given enough to do with characters.

Third, why is Taylor Kitsch on this show? His character serves literally no purpose. HIs character obviously has some demons but so does everyone else on this show so how are his demons relevant to the story? You can see how Farrell and McAdams' demon are relevant to the story but I don't see where his fits. Also, what was up with the cop that was following him around seemingly only to set up what happened in episode 7? I never caught his name and it just seems weird that his on this detail when he was never introduced. He literally just shows up in a scene with Kitsch and your thinking "who the hell is this guy?". I just never felt anything he was doing was either important or couldn't have been done by either McAdams or Farrell.

Fourth, season felt very uneven. First three episodes dragged a bit while the rest of the episodes seemed to move at a very fast pace. Its almost like two different shows wrapped up into one show. Story was also very predictable and you could tell what was going to happen before it happened. The story also used incredibly cliched things like dream sequences, flashbacks, and long voice over narration. And the ending was fucking terrible. So I sit though these episodes expecting a conclusion and there literally is none. Ani tells her story and then just walks out of the room and the shit ends. Like wtf? So what happened? Did anyone get caught or go to jail? There's just no resolution to any of this. SMH at that ending.

Overall, a bit disappointing but still solid. I give it a 6.5/10.

Salsa

fuck this shitty cheap GRIM ass ending

good lord im surprised a bomb didnt go off on the boat ffs

I think this season was terrible compared to 1 but I was still enjoying aspects of it, and managed to care about some of it

this ending tho? for real?

never eating pizza again

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So the media's been telling me this season's been crap so far. Should I still give it a shot?

Salsa

Velcoro driving lookin at the sign in typical oh imma make a turn this will turn out alright manner was like pizzaman taking a shit on my chest

then lets show velcoros father crying and him being the actual dad cause HAHA fuck you viewer life is shit

it went so out of its way to be crushingly deppresing that I just laughed midway through. sure it worked in bumming me the fuck out, but it also felt incredibly unearned

just needless. Season 1's only WIN felt fuckin great, this was just a march in a river of shit. everyones shit the world is shit theres no redeeming anything and fuck everybody

like I legit dont know what he was trying to do. Im not one of those guys that wants a happy ending on everything or anything but good lord man

I honestly thought my only real problem with this series was its writing but now I just dread the whole arc. there was nothing here other than constant bummer, then tension for once, and then bummer with a vengeance

incredibly cheap

im gonna go watch some cartoon or something

Velcoro driving lookin at the sign in typical oh imma make a turn this will turn out alright manner was like pizzaman taking a shit on my chest

then lets show velcoros father crying and him being the actual dad cause HAHA fuck you viewer life is shit

it went so out of its way to be crushingly deppresing that I just laughed midway through. sure it worked in bumming me the fuck out, but it also felt incredibly unearned

just needless. Season 1's only WIN felt fuckin great, this was just a march in a river of shit. everyones shit the world is shit theres no redeeming anything and fuck everybody

like I legit dont know what he was trying to do. Im not one of those guys that wants a happy ending on everything or anything but good lord man

I honestly thought my only real problem with this series was its writing but now I just dread the whole arc. there was nothing here other than constant bummer, then tension for once, and then bummer with a vengeance

incredibly cheap

im gonna go watch some cartoon or something

Don't forget the 'emotional pull' of Velcoro's son velcroing that stupid encased badge to his ass everywhere he goes.

HMD

Season 3 should follow the Times reporter from the finale, make him investigate and find bigger and bigger links to this whole story, something like House of Cards season 1, and somehow link it to the season 1 cult... that would be a good third season. Have some moody detectives thrown in there to please the nerds as well.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
S3 should just be an Infernal Affairs clone with some twists: cop joins the mob and becomes the boss, mob joins the cops and becomes chief of police. Fuckery ensues

Dennis

Banned
Season 3 = broken characters + neo The Wire + suburb of Sydney

S3 should just be an Infernal Affairs clone with some twists: cop joins the mob and becomes the boss, mob joins the cops and becomes chief of police. Fuckery ensues

This ^ but it would need to be different enough from Infernal/Departed that it could be be its own story otherwise its plays out the same. Maybe a "Laughing man" like central figure amongst all the Fuckery to connect the case

Grinchy

Banned
Next season should just be like a network family sitcom where the dad tries to figure out where the creaking noise in his house is coming from.

Top Bottom