• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider I-III Remastered Releases on February 14, 2024 (Switch, PS4/5, XBX/S, PC)

-Zelda-

Banned
I wonder what QOL there will be. Save anywhere? Auto saves? any control adjustments or am I still going to miss every jump if I do not get a full running start first and then still only just barely make it due to Lara being so top heavy?

-Zelda-

Banned
Reboot Trilogy lacks atmospheric element. Sometimes less is more. Plus Reboot Lara seemed more focused on the story driven narrative(while passable in 2013 I found the stories presented in Rise/Shadow lackluster) then the exploration and discovering secrets that the original series was known for.

The best part of Rise was exploring Tombs in postgame when the game wasn't forcing you to buy tools/upgrades or continue the narrative.

In the original games Lara Croft is a self made explorer and Archaeologist.

I dunno about you but I find it hard to go back to Reboot trilogy when I know this is what I'll be getting in February.

Seriously this. I did not like the story of the other two games, nor did I like the rpg character upgrading theme despite loving rpgs. I want graceful and sarcastic and sexy lara back. I want fun lara not laura who needs therapy "lara." I have always disagreed with the original series creator that left the series forever after the first game for not liking the fact that they took lara in a sexy direction. Why can't a woman be as sexy as she is intelligent? He may have made a great game, but the rest of his view is bad and I am glad he left the franchise.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Reboot trilogy was always weird as it aped Uncharted which of course aped Tomb Raider and Gears of War to begin with and in turn, lost any sense of its' own identity.
While I agree I think the tone and the lack of Tombs was more the problem

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
And I attribute that to it copying Dude Raider to become another 3rd person action game instead of staying true to its' roots.
But I'd say that Uncharted was more Tomb Raider then the Tomb Raider Reboot Trilogy was.
The dark and gritty and whinny Lara overshadowed the Uncharted influence.
But yeah agree Lara's acrobatic combat skills being swapped for gore 3rd Person Shooter gameplay wasn't the best idea.

bender

What time is it?
But I'd say that Uncharted was more Tomb Raider then the Tomb Raider Reboot Trilogy was.
The dark and gritty and whinny Lara overshadowed the Uncharted influence.
But yeah agree Lara's acrobatic combat skills being swapped for gore 3rd Person Shooter gameplay wasn't the best idea.

That's the problem with copying a copy and Uncharted wasn't much a Tomb Raider either, which makes the decision even more baffling as they already had something that set them apart. Was it Assassin's Creed 2 that had those optional tombs with platforming challenges? That's probably the best modern example I can think of.

Far Cry 3 was more of a TR game than the new trilogy, that's how much they ruined it. Even the ezio asscreed trilogy had better tomb raiding, and story and character.

Seriously this. I did not like the story of the other two games, nor did I like the rpg character upgrading theme despite loving rpgs. I want graceful and sarcastic and sexy lara back. I want fun lara not laura who needs therapy "lara." I have always disagreed with the original series creator that left the series forever after the first game for not liking the fact that they took lara in a sexy direction. Why can't a woman be as sexy as she is intelligent? He may have made a great game, but the rest of his view is bad and I am glad he left the franchise.
It was originally supposed to be a male character as well. The producers progressively milked the muh sexy female aspect until it was purely a sex symbol instead of just a natural trait. I wouldnt want someone bastardizing my character either. Everyone brings up 80s action for prooerly portrayed women in media (ripley, connor). Yea sex sells but being obvious about it ruins the artist touch. TR1 will always be the best. Underworld was really good, all considering.

That's the problem with copying a copy and Uncharted wasn't much a Tomb Raider either, which makes the decision even more baffling as they already had something that set them apart. Was it Assassin's Creed 2 that had those optional tombs with platforming challenges? That's probably the best modern example I can think of.
Ha, beat me to it while I was writing mine

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Nevermind, I thought the RTX remix fan thing was footage of this, lol, I was like wow if they've done all these changes like the random torches I'm not sure that's a good thing since previous footage looked more faithful etc.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Probably start with the first one. It’s a criticism of the early ones, they’re all kind of same-y. Which may say something about how much people liked that first game.

Although it might be nostalgia, and the impact that the first game had, but I would also say the first one was the best.
The second has some improvements, but it also has more combat, which is not good. But still, it's a great game.
I never finished the third. It felt off somehow. Probably because it was made by a different team.

violence

Although it might be nostalgia, and the impact that the first game had, but I would also say the first one was the best.
The second has some improvements, but it also has more combat, which is not good. But still, it's a great game.
I never finished the third. It felt off somehow. Probably because it was made by a different team.
The first game is the only one with a remake which probably says something about it too.

Elios83

Does anyone know which Tomb Raider is generally held as the best? 1-3?

It's personal obviously but for me 2 is the best.
It has considerably more variety in environments/locations/situations compared to the original plus some good gameplay improvements.
3 is my least favourite because levels were super complex/difficult and it didn't feel really balanced.
Too bad The Last Revelation is not included in this collection because besides the game dragging a bit too much especially in the late levels it's among the best classic TR games with 1&2.

Last edited:
I'd break it down like this:

TR1 - Most balanced overall experience
TR2 - Many improvements, amazing levels, a lot more (bad) combat
TR3 - Assumes the first two games were warmups, (imo) too hard but impressively complex

Reminds me of Metroid Prime where the first game is the most "pure" and balanced overall experience and the sequels iterated and branched out in different ways creating sometimes higher highs but also lower lows. TR3, to me at least, is borderline unplayable due to its difficulty and "lol fuck you" traps but it also refines the formula in other ways. TR2 has the best levels but also introduces way more human combat and combat in classic TR is not the reason to play these games.

All in all, I'd still say TR2 is the best just because the level design is so, so good. For me, it's TR2/TR1 > Last Revelation > TR3.

I'm eager to give TR3 another shot though, I'm way better at games these days overall and maybe a ball breaking TR is what I need.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Between 1 and 2, it’s 1 by far.

2 has a metric ton of cheap traps from the start. It introduced save-anywhere on consoles too (1 had limited save points on console, only the PC version allowed to save anywhere) so it was blatantly built around a trial-and-error approach where you’re absolutely supposed to die in several traps the first time around. Tons of shooting enemies that will deplete half of your health before you can even see where they are.

TR1 is more relaxed, gives you more time to think and prioritizes exploration over combat. It does get a bit cheap in the later levels, but it’s nothing compared to the bullshit of TR2. It’s an incredible adventure game.

Ok, I saw the title and I thought this was the nu-Tomb Raider trilogy as what is associated with "remasters". But these are the actual classic games!

Man, I'm gonna have to take my switch back from my brother again for this!!

EDIT: LOL I saw the title!! If it's on PC I want to know how they'll support ultrawide screen?
Why would they support ultrawide..... Its the go-to NON standard screen size. 16:9 is fine.

Enjoy your stretched image or huge ass black borders. Hipster. :p

drotahorror

Yes, but that remake was terrible.
The terrible QTE's, the floaty controls, and some of the worst use of DoF and Bloom.
hRnxN8Z.jpg

Bond007

TR1 started my obsession and i love the feeling of adventure.
TR2 is my personal favorite for the environments and just overall improvements. Obvious standout for me was Venice. Though this is when we started taking out more henchmen if i recall- i preferred the more wild encounters of the first.

Last edited:

BigLee74

TR1 had the biggest impact, and is my overall favourite.

TR2 had more diverse levels (not always tombs), and introduced vehicles. I love it only slightly less than the 1st.

TR3 just got huge. I only played through it once as a result, so am looking forward to trying it again. It was certainly the worst out of the three for me.

TR4 & 5 (same engine) aren’t in this collection which is a shame. I remember loving the setting for TR4, but it was a bit samey and levels SPRAWLED. I eventually just followed a guide to complete it. TR5 I made about half way through before getting bored.

This is a day one purchase for me. Genuinely excited!

LOL at all the hate for TR3. It was the best one, fuckers.
I understand the dislike for the difficulty but i really liked the globetrotter feeling that TR 3 gave. it was very different and yet magical still remember first time sitting my foot in Nevada.
i think the different environments was pretty damn good and encouraged exploration back in the days.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I kind of wish 4 was included in this.

Agreed. Where is the love for The Last Revelation? Also although it's regarded as a piece of shit and easily the weakest of the original TR games, Tomb Raider: Chronicles should have been included.

Maybe if this collection sells well they'll do a new collection with the above and Angel of Darkness.

Kadve

Agreed. Where is the love for The Last Revelation? Also although it's regarded as a piece of shit and easily the weakest of the original TR games, Tomb Raider: Chronicles should have been included.

Maybe if this collection sells well they'll do a new collection with the above and Angel of Darkness.
Maybe even a completed version of AOD? Think it released something like half a year before it was actually supposed too.

Last edited:

emivita

I understand the dislike for the difficulty but i really liked the globetrotter feeling that TR 3 gave. it was very different and yet magical still remember first time sitting my foot in Nevada.
i think the different environments was pretty damn good and encouraged exploration back in the days.
Plus the save system via crystals was very cool and encouraged mindful gameplay and even more exploration, because many of them were hidden in secret areas.

old-parts

Maybe they are saving the last 3 games of the classic 6 for another pack, but those are the weakest of the bunch so who is going to buy those ?

TR4 is the quasi canonical end of original Lara Croft which should be in the collection.

The TR team were tired of the games and had run out of ideas so Lara's death in TR4 was meant to be the end. Of course the publisher decided otherwise and forced them to make TR5 Chronicles which teases her return at the end and another new team was assigned to TR6 Angel of Darkness which hand waves away her death.

There is also a few extra levels/expansions from the classic TR series like the Lost Artifact that probably wont be ever brought back.

Still its cool to see the amount of work they have put into this, just it would be nice if it were a complete classic collection.

Belthazar

Maybe they are saving the last 3 games of the classic 6 for another pack, but those are the weakest of the bunch so who is going to buy those ?

TR4 is the quasi canonical end of original Lara Croft which should be in the collection.

The TR team were tired of the games and had run out of ideas so Lara's death in TR4 was meant to be the end. Of course the publisher decided otherwise and forced them to make TR5 Chronicles which teases her return at the end and another new team was assigned to TR6 Angel of Darkness which hand waves away her death.

There is also a few extra levels/expansions from the classic TR series like the Lost Artifact that probably wont be ever brought back.

Still its cool to see the amount of work they have put into this, just it would be nice if it were a complete classic collection.

It would make more sense to just release Last Revelation as dlc and call it a day. Chronicles and AoD really aren't worth anyone's time.

Last edited:
TR1 had the biggest impact, and is my overall favourite.

TR2 had more diverse levels (not always tombs), and introduced vehicles. I love it only slightly less than the 1st.

TR3 just got huge. I only played through it once as a result, so am looking forward to trying it again. It was certainly the worst out of the three for me.

TR4 & 5 (same engine) aren’t in this collection which is a shame. I remember loving the setting for TR4, but it was a bit samey and levels SPRAWLED. I eventually just followed a guide to complete it. TR5 I made about half way through before getting bored.

This is a day one purchase for me. Genuinely excited!
agree completely. hoping for tr4/5 as well, tho as you say, the games themselves all do sorta become progressively weaker (what can you say: the first game simply was that good)...

Kadve

Wait, so did we ever find out that this is coming physical or? If so, do want.
Nope.

Dear Customer,

This is an update about order

We know you've been waiting patiently for the item "Tomb Raider I-III Remastered
Starring Lara Croft". We have received information and unfortunately, there is no
physical release of this game. We are hoping for your understanding on this matter.

Regarding this matter, we have now removed the item from your order. You may check it
by logging in to your Playasia account. If you have another item in mind, kindly
provide us with the product link, and we will gladly change your order.

If you have already paid for your order and would like a refund, please choose on the
options below where the refund should be processed

Madflavor

TR3 was the worst for sure and kind of...unnecessary? At that point the TR1 and 2 team started working on a true sequel with The Last Revelation and a b team created TR3 which was basically a reskinned TR2. Only harder for no reason.

Yeah but I'm glad it exists. It's basically Hard Mode TR2, and it was more Tomb Raider. If it was made in sacrifice of TRLR, then it would've been a problem. At least for me.

Last edited:

Zuzu

Going to get this on Xbox. Just found out its a Play anywhere so I can play on PC as well which is a nice bonus.

Oh Oh Does that make me a Shill. Please don't come and attack me, I'm petrified.

Oh nice I didn’t know that it is a Play Anywhere game. That makes it even harder to choose between the Switch and the Xbox version 😞

Top Bottom