• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider I-III Remastered Releases on February 14, 2024 (Switch, PS4/5, XBX/S, PC)

TexMex

Any difference between the PS4 and PS5? I may play the ps4 version

I guess we can confirm in short order, but I can't imagine there being any difference between the PS4 and 5 versions of the app on these particular games.

Im super tempted but the amount of trophies will give me an aneurysm.

TexMex TexMex is gonna have a blast with this one

You know it - definitely going to try and plat 1/2. It's been years so I hope my muscle memory is still there.

emivita

I only played the Peru section in TR1 remastered (PS4 Pro here) and I can honestly say it's the definitive version of the game. 4K/60 fps goodness, sexy Lara, and they even introduced jump roll in TR1 which was absent in the original game. Graphically it's just perfect. They also remade the game cutscenes.
Tried the modern controls and they're good, but I sticked to the original which are more precise.
Will definitely try to platinum all three of them.

Hudo

I have a colleague who tells me that this remaster is dope. One criticism she had was that the devs decided to not include the modern controls in the tutorial level(s). These are still only for the original tank controls.

I have a colleague who tells me that this remaster is dope. One criticism she had was that the devs decided to not include the modern controls in the tutorial level(s). These are still only for the original tank controls.
Which is understandable, given that modern controls probably don't need tutorial. Or do they?

Hudo

Which is understandable, given that modern controls probably don't need tutorial. Or do they?
I dunno. But she said that some aspects of the modern controls are not that obvious. E.g. sideways jumping can only be done while weapons are drawn.

But I can only report what I've heard. Haven't played any Tomb Raider game myself because Indiana Jones was always more my jam.

emivita

I don't think modern controls are well suited for classic TR raiding. There's a reason if "tank controls" are set by default. I may be wrong, but you can't do little back hops with modern controls, which are vital for perfect jumps and some of the puzzles. Tank controls are also perfectly fine with the analog stick, I personally alternate stick to directional keys whenever I feel like and need to.

Loading a level is basically 2-3 seconds, and if you die and reload the same level, it's istant. This is on PS4 Pro. Camera rotate is a great addition. You can also access level statistics in TR1R using the compass (not possible in the original). And immediate access to the 3 games in the main menu is sooo good.

Maddoxswe

I don't think modern controls are well suited for classic TR raiding. There's a reason if "tank controls" are set by default. I may be wrong, but you can't do little back hops with modern controls, which are vital for perfect jumps and some of the puzzles. Tank controls are also perfectly fine with the analog stick, I personally alternate stick to directional keys whenever I feel like and need to.

Loading a level is basically 2-3 seconds, and if you die and reload the same level, it's istant. This is on PS4 Pro. Camera rotate is a great addition. You can also access level statistics in TR1R using the compass (not possible in the original). And immediate access to the 3 games in the main menu is sooo good.
I agree, this game is ment to be played with tank controls, tried the new way but switched back again.

xrnzaaas

Yeah I've finished 2 levels in TR1 and modern controls don't feel right. I'm thinking about switching to tank controls.

I also don't like how they didn't improve the camera at all and it goes crazy in small locations. Some areas are also too dark and I keep switching to og graphics to make sure I'm not missing any secret passages.

Dr.Morris79

It's Glorious

Glorious!

MVkkrmC.gif

Dazraell

I dunno. But she said that some aspects of the modern controls are not that obvious. E.g. sideways jumping can only be done while weapons are drawn.

But I can only report what I've heard. Haven't played any Tomb Raider game myself because Indiana Jones was always more my jam.
I briefly played the game to see how it works on Steam Deck (works flawlessly) and if by tutorial you mean Lara's house, the game indeed has tank controls as default, but you can change it on the settings to modern controls. It's a bit tedious to navigate as settings use the same format as old games, but it was there and toggle have worked

BigLee74

Noped out of modern controls almost immediately. They weren’t awful (although I couldn’t work out how to sidestep which seems a bit of an oversight), but they just didn’t feel right.

What a great job they’ve done with the textures!

Just two complaints. Modern graphics seem very dark in places (and switching to legacy graphics really highlights the difference), and the legacy graphics only run at 30fps.

This will consume me for weeks.

Top tip. If playing tank controls take your hands off the sticks. For some reason it lets you use RS to move the camera, and that will fool your conditioned brain into believing you are playing with modern movements. You will step forward, and Lara will plunge to her death as she doesn’t care where you left that camera pointing!

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa
On the 3rd level, the game is absolutely beautiful and a perfect example of how to modernize a classic while keeping it's distinct visual aesthetic, they did it right. I often find myself switching between the new and classic visuals to compare (much like Diablo 2 Resurrected), so much of this game is seared into my memory while other parts are fuzzy, memory is strange in that way.

The real question however is to Tank or not to Tank. While I'm usually a purist when it comes to stuff like this I actually find myself preferring the modern controls, especially after remapping a couple of things, it simply feels better in the moment to moment gameplay, I guess I'm in the minority. Should trickier platforming sections demand Tank it's simple to switch whenever I choose, for now it's been super smooth with Modern.

The camera is a major issue though, often wigging out, especially in tight spaces, I guess that's authentic to the era lol. The other issue is the lighting, many occasions where the new visuals are dark to the point of not being able to see jack shit, switch to classic is a boon when this occurs, though I wish that ran at 60 FPS too.

Overall I'm a happy camper, nostalgia is through the roof. They don't make games like this any more, zero hand-holding, figure it out yourself, I remember being stuck multiple times as a kid (especially TR3) but eventually figuring out the solution. To that end I'd encourage anyone *new* to these games to avoid any guides/walkthroughs, those will cheapen if not outright kill the experience. Explore, look for things to jump to/climb, blocks to push/pull, levers semi-hidden, make Lara proud!

Alpha Male

Very helpful for Modern Controls:

Aim your guns and hold the walk button then press back on the stick to step back -- Also, aim guns and tap backwards on the stick to hop back

Last edited:

Dazraell

After playing for a bit more I've come to the conclusion that Aspyr should be given the full PS1 back catalogue and put to work. Next game

Silent Hill.

They'd be printing money.
Well, as Embracer's subsidiary they have access to their back catalogue, so there is a chance we may see similar remasters for games like Deus Ex 1 or series like Legacy of Kain, Thief, Duke Nukem, Red Faction, Sacred or Saints Row. So plenty of possibilities to pick here. And there is of course potential for two other possible remasters for Tomb Raider series (4-6, and Legend, Anniversary, Underworld trilogy)

Dr.Morris79

Well, as Embracer's subsidiary they have access to their back catalogue, so there is a chance we may see similar remasters for games like Deus Ex 1 or series like Legacy of Kain, Thief, Duke Nukem, Red Faction, Sacred or Saints Row. So plenty of possibilities to pick here. And there is of course potential for two other possible remasters for Tomb Raider series (4-6, and Legend, Anniversary, Underworld trilogy)
You had me at Legacy of Kain :messenger_sunglasses:

The 1st one, that is.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Something tells me that there will be a patch regarding the dark /low brightness on some spots - pretty much every preview mentioned it and so did many users over the internet.

Anyway, for those that got it, how's the release ? any major problems like crashes/sound de-syncs, saves fuckery , bugged effects/textures etc etc like most modern release out there ? (GTA trilogy cough* cough).
Thinking of getting it for the PS5 it's just that... I don't even know if I have the time to go through all these games.

Cheers

Mindman

Dumb question. How do you exit out of the game? Lol I couldn't see any way to do it in the brief time that I played...

emivita

60 FPS are so silky smooth on PS4 Pro. Was playing a couple of Folly's levels, then switched to 30 FPS with Persona 5 Royal...

spongebob squarepants eww GIF

• LOL

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Yk why not just leave tank controls on dpad and put the modern controls on analog stick? I can think of a use for both but I dont wanna always switch

Top Bottom