• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider I-III Remastered | Review Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member
AsaLIkpn.jpg

Game Information​

Game Title: Tomb Raider I-II-III Remastered
Platforms:
  • Nintendo Switch (Feb 14, 2024)
  • PC (Feb 14, 2024)
  • PlayStation 5 (Feb 14, 2024)
  • PlayStation 4 (Feb 14, 2024)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Feb 14, 2024)
  • Xbox One (Feb 14, 2024)
Trailer:
Developer: Crystal Dynamics
Publisher: Aspyr

hwDQbbw.png

XFpcy0F.png

Critic Reviews​

But Why Tho? - Abdul Saad - 5 / 10
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered is a mixed bag of a remastered bundle. While it offers players new quality-of-life updates and great new features, the experience is marred by frustrating movement and an unreliable camera.

CGMagazine - Chris De Hoog - 7 / 10
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered feels like it wants to be a loving tribute to the franchise's origins, but comes across like a half-effort instead.

COGconnected - Lou Sytsma - 90 / 100
For veteran gamers, Tomb Raider Remastered I-III is a great time capsule of a very popular trilogy of games that moved the action/adventure genre forward. For recent gamers, this collection is an excellent way to experience the games that the modern action/adventure games of today evolved from.

Dexerto - Olly Smith - 5 / 5
If there’s any way to summarize Tomb Raider I-III Remastered, it’s that it’s amazing to realize just how well those classic games have aged over the decades. I've enjoyed powering through the games with the new modern art, but it's the level design and gameplay that keep bringing me back. With minimal changes to the formula, the modernized appearance is all these games needed to gain a new lease of life. Tomb Raider was ahead of its time back in 1996, and this proves that even today Lara Croft still has what it takes.

Entertainium - Eduardo Rebouças - Worth your time
Having those extras would have upped the historical value of having such a compilation at the ready, but even so, at is it, Tomb Raider Remastered is still very much worth picking up, regardless of your experience with these games. It’s fun to think of an entirely new generation getting to pick what we had to play when these were new. Surely, they do take some getting used to, but the overall enjoyment comes from the challenge, and these three sure do have plenty of that.

GameGrin - Mike Crewe - 7.5 / 10
Although the updated visuals are a welcome addition, the modern controls are poorly implemented. However, Tomb Raider I-III Remastered is an absolute must-buy for fans of Lara's original adventures.

GamingTrend - Richard Allen - 85 / 100
The iconic Lara Croft returns in a series of lovingly crafted remasters of her first three adventures. Tomb Raider I-III Remastered features not only the base version of all three games, but also the full expansions which were previously unavailable on the PS1, providing an incredible amount of content for a bargain price. Upgraded character models and lighting, a photo mode, and optional quality-of-life improvements help round out a collection which would have been worthwhile without the graphical upgrade. Unfortunately, a few control, lighting, and camera issues do occasionally arise, dampening what is otherwise a great collection.

Nintendo Life - Oliver Reynolds - 8 / 10
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered is one of Aspyr's most accomplished projects to date, successfully giving three of gaming's most iconic titles a much-needed lick of paint while upgrading the controls to give newcomers a welcome leg-up. Some of the lighting is a bit off with the new visuals, and the need to manually save your game is a big no-no in 2024, but if you're curious as to how Lara Croft got her start in gaming, then this is easily the best way to experience the original trilogy.

PC Gamer - Kerry Brunskill - 78 / 100
Tomb Raider Remastered is an impressive and authentic update. Too authentic in some places, though.

PSX Brasil - TheTreeble - Portuguese - 95 / 100
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered allows longtime fans to relive the franchise's heyday with a beautiful retread that doesn't compromise on nostalgia. However, the mechanics have been deliberately kept as they were originally, which may put off potential players who are unfamiliar with the original games. Master the controls and you're guaranteed to have fun for a long time.

Pure Nintendo - Kirk Hiner - 8.5 / 10
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered Starring Lara Croft does just enough with the original Tomb Raider games to make them a great fit for the Nintendo Switch. The ability to instantly flip between the original and remastered graphics is entertaining, but the real fun lies with the games themselves. And these are the three best Tomb Raiders ever made.

Push Square - Sammy Barker - 8 / 10
Tomb Raider 1-3 Remastered Starring Lara Croft is a lovingly crafted compilation which may set a new standard for PS1 re-releases moving forward. Based on the original source code, this trilogy flawlessly reframes three iconic PS1 puzzle platformers as you remember them – warts and all. While you will need patience to navigate this trilogy of globe-trotting escapades, the upgraded art style sticks closely to Core Design's intended vision and it's a genuine pleasure to experience these 90s classics on all-new hardware. It's comprehensive, too, with each game's expansion pack included – and an enormous list of Trophies to unlock.

VGChartz - Evan Norris - Unscored
For purists, the original code remains intact, with all the sharp edges and meticulous controls you remember. For those who've played the trilogy a dozen times before and want a fresh experience, modern visuals and controls change things up considerably — often for the better, sometimes for the worse. Throw in all the expansions and a few novelties like New Game+ and photo mode, and you've got a wonderful celebration of the origins of the Tomb Raider franchise.

Video Chums - Mary Billington - 8.6 / 10
I'm obsessed with this remastered collection of the first 3 Tomb Raider games as it does an amazing job of bringing the action-adventure classics back to life with a big graphical overhaul while maintaining absolutely everything that make the games so much fun.

XboxEra - Győző Baki - 7.8 / 10
Aspyr’s remasters of these classic Lara Croft adventures play it safer and don’t really add much to the overall experience, but still a bloody fun time for those who want to revisit these awesome classics – even with their flaws.

Last edited:

Bond007

Good to see.
Was literally obsessed with these and the series as a whole for years as a kid. Obsessedddd

Like ive mentioned numerous times though- i wont bite till i see a disc.

Last edited:
Tomb Raider Remastered is an impressive and authentic update. Too authentic in some places, though.
What does this mean.. its too old school maybe? And someone complaining about manual saves... haha cmon really..

Also what does New Game+ mode offer? Doesnt seem like the type od game to need it.

What does this mean.. its too old school maybe? And someone complaining about manual saves... haha cmon really..

Also what does New Game+ mode offer? Doesnt seem like the type od game to need it.

Aged gameplay mechanics most likely. Only so much you can do when you are essentially still using the original game as the foundation and just adding a graphical layer on top.

Longcat

I legit think "modern controls" hurt the game a bit. I commend Aspyr for trying, but I think it just does not work with the engine and introduces a lot of frustration if you are new and expect it to work like a modern game because it was released in current year.

I've been watching a couple of playthroughs on Youtube. They like the game but constantly have issues with the camera. I keep yelling in my head like "THE GAME WASN'T PROGRAMMED FOR ANALOG STICKS! PLEEEEEASE USE THE CAMERA BUTTON!" when it gets stuck or freaks out.

I hope they'll figure it out in a future patch.

xrnzaaas

Based on what I've already played the remaster doesn't deserve more than 8/10 and even that's generous.

The devs did nothing (maybe they actually couldn't, dunno) to improve the dreadful camera that's making jumps and avoiding traps a real torture. The pause menus should've been replaced or at least made more user-friendly. The modern controls are also disappointing, but at least you don't have to stick with them and you can go back to tank controls.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to be able to play the classic trilogy on modern systems. I just expected more improvements, not just focusing on the modern graphics.

Last edited:
Based on what I've already played the remaster doesn't deserve more than 8/10 and even that's generous.

The devs did nothing (maybe they actually couldn't, dunno) to improve the dreadful camera that's making jumps and avoiding traps a real torture. The pause menus should've been replaced or at least made more user-friendly. The modern controls are also disappointing, but at least you don't have to stick with them and you can go back to tank controls.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to be able to play the classic trilogy on modern systems. I just expected more improvements, not just focusing on the modern graphics.
That's typical of Aspyr, they did the same thing with Jedi Knight 2. It's faithful to a fault in that it doesn't really provide any modern QOL features like aim assist for guns or make the camera slightly easier to use when doing some of the platforming puzzles.

I imagine this game won't be as bad because it's grid based and a bit more forgiving with it's jumping. Still, would be good if they could improve modern controls and the camera. I haven't bought it yet, but I think as long as the graphics have been improved I'll be happy

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

The game camera is not even positioned the same way, they changed that but some people are missing out. The game is meant to be the definitive way to play the OG trilogy either with the idealised version of the original graphics or a new yet faithful modern look. This was created by fans of the game (creator of OpenLara lead his team of choice on it) and Inhave to admit it shows.

We will see if they do any patch or leave it like this, we shall see.

xrnzaaas

The game camera is not even positioned the same way, they changed that but some people are missing out. The game is meant to be the definitive way to play the OG trilogy either with the idealised version of the original graphics or a new yet faithful modern look. This was created by fans of the game (creator of OpenLara lead his team of choice on it) and Inhave to admit it shows.

We will see if they do any patch or leave it like this, we shall see.
I haven't replayed the original games in years so it's very possible I didn't notice changes to the camera system... doesn't change the fact it's working against you in every smaller space / corridor or when Lara has her back against the wall.

It's great that modders were involved in this (rather than ignoring their hard work), but I have certain expectations when I actually have to pay for the product.

EDIT. Sorry I meant to post this in the TR1-3 Remastered OT thread. I think this is a great collection so far.

Last edited:
Top Bottom