• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Remastered Trilogy New Gameplay Videos Released

SkylineRKR

I played the Saturn version for the first time years ago and it was an interesting look at Tomb Raider running on Saturn hardware. I've always had a soft spot for inferior versions, they just ooze charm.

TR actually first released on Saturn in Europe, with the PS version about a month later. I always assumed Saturn was the lead but apparently they were all developed simultanously.

Saturn version was okay. It also has some things going on that fared better than on Playstation. It comes down to preference.

Just started playing. Tank controls, of course. Still undecided to use the d-pad or analog stick. But goddammit, the switch between old and new graphics is under Start on PS5, so very easy to flip it.
Last 20 minutes i'm just running and switching to compare… and it's the first 200 meters :/
I really, really like the PS1 era graphics. So much nostalgia and ambiance…

Last edited:

Ivan

It's cool that the option is there for purists. I don't think I'll be sticking with them, though. I thought they were pretty clunky back in the day.
I totally get you, I used to think that way as a kid in 1996, but now I understend why that's huge part of the game's legendary status. It was too much for me back then coming from ultra responsive 2D platformers, but now I think it was a masterpiece. I wish we still had revolutionary approach to controls from time to time. Evolution that ended with Uncharted type of platforming/climbing really doesn't do it for me anymore.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Plwi2Y2.jpeg

season 4 suit GIF

Elios83

Just tried TR2 and it looks great :messenger_sunglasses::messenger_smiling_with_eyes:
I'm used to the tank controls, actually for me they're integral part of how these games were designed and have zero issues with them.
I wanted to give a try to modern controls, they work and the movements are clearly more fluid with full camera control but it seems like it's not possible to do precise side jumps with them or to step back exactly one-grid space?!
Tomorrow I will give them an other try to understand if I'm missing something or if that's how they're supposed to work.

Reactions: Isa
i took the modern controls for a spin 1 hour in tomb raider 3's Manor. where you can try all her moves.
conclusion: good luck adapting to those controls for quick and precise time trials or just anything that require the slightest platforming skills. The obstacle course in the manor took me like 8 tries or more... and it was right at the beginning.
i will be sticking to tank controls for sure...

I don't know if it has been posted but apparently the old mode switches to 30fps on all consoles. I quite like that for the old feeling but would definitely like a 60fps toggle in that mode.
(or even120fps in all modes)

Exactly! Disappointing ...makes me think I should get this for Switch since 30 fps doesn't feel bad on the small screen

fatmarco

RIGHT TRIGGER IS THE ACTION BUTTON on modern controls, and not "Y" like it says in the menu.

I spent like 10 minutes trying to grab a ledge until I figured it out lol.

Also for some reason "hide UI" and "reset settings" are both the "A" button in photo mode, so you can't set up a pose and take a picture currently.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
While its still work in progress, I think I have more hope for the RTX remix

I hope they keep that Quake RTX concept where the geometry and texture work are mainly the same as the original, maybe a few PBR shaders for material to work with path tracing. To me it looks better than the remaster even in this early state.

It's crazy how shitty and soulless all these RTX Remix mods look, and how they just murder the art and artistic intent of the old games ruthlessly. It's like those shitty ENB mods from 10 years ago turned up to 100 (I am sure they are still around).

You can use either of them. You can also remap all the buttons on the console version (well the Series X version at least though I'm sure it's the same for all of them) so you can set up the controls however you want to.
I meant, what is everybodies preference?

Last edited:

Krathoon

Esentially they argue they're selling a racist product, but are somehow at the same time trying to critique its existence.

If it was "inexcusable" and racist, then don't release it and profit from said racism.
What was so racist about Tomb Raider?

Krathoon

Yep. They did an excelent job of remastering it. Looks great. I want to see if they still have those creepy skeleton mummy things in the Aztec level.

John Bilbo

The original graphics seem to be locked 30fps. OpenLara might be the way to go if you don't want to play with the new graphics.

Top Bottom