• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider I-III Remastered Releases on February 14, 2024 (Switch, PS4/5, XBX/S, PC)

SkylineRKR

The modern trilogy are awful and forgettable AAA games without soul.

The trilogy before it was actually way better. Legend was incredibly fun, though simple and short. But it hit the right notes for me back then. Anniversary I was conflicted on. Underworld was underrated. It had some excellent level design but ended rather abruptly, this game had obvious development issues.

As for the original games. TR1 is likely the best one. TR2 while still good doubled down on the quite awful combat. TR3 was insanely difficult, especially on PS1 with limited saves. TLR was underrated, I think there was some fatigue going on but it was actually a very solid game. Chronicles was sort of eh, felt like a cash in. Never played AoD, and many didn't as the series died after it (until Legend).

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Oh nice I didn’t know that it is a Play Anywhere game. That makes it even harder to choose between the Switch and the Xbox version 😞
Was going to get it on Steam but I only found out today that it is Play Anywhere. That tipped it for me. Well worth the risk of being persecuted :messenger_winking:

Skifi28

Well worth the risk of being persecuted :messenger_winking:
pwWNGCm.gif

Deerock71

All right, just pre-ordered the digital on my Switch. It's an extremely reasonable price for 3 classic games. No doubt they've got me again if a physical version ever shows up.

Sephimoth

I don't know what system to get it on. Will wait till comparison vids drop.
Really hope they don't screw this up, TR1 is in my top 5

EDIT: WTF no physical?

Last edited:
these new screenshots doesn't really show much of the " dynamic lightning but i hope thats just because its not in motion... anyways that lion sure is something xD
But yeah overall pretty fateful to the originals not changing to much and what is changed might make more sense or is better for it. i still am curious how the water will feel like swimming through, they could really had gone all out there but judging by screenshot it doesn't seem like they have done much really. well it is what it is i still want it day one.

Last edited:
I have these originals on duckstation and the 3d widescreen hack is such a cool feature (especially for mgs1). Might have to cram a quick playthru to refresh my memory before these HD versions drop. Looking so good!
Would be nice to finally see some extended gameplay and hear a word on overall performance. It plays high on nostalgia and nothing else so far.
back in my day we didn't have all this fancy preview business, just waited until the release date for the moment of truth! im getting that old school uncertainty nostalgia from this release too, but in a good way!

Someone told me theres no chance of them having HDR (i was joking about it anyway) but those screenshots are looking pretty close to HDR! lol

dotnotbot

Apparently PS5 version has only one platinum trophy while PS4 has 3. Same shit as COD MW3, all 3 games probably share one launcher and app id.

Last edited:

Zuzu

I preordered it last night. I don’t like preordering but you got a little discount if you did it and I redeemed a $25 voucher using Microsoft Rewards to help pay for it. Hope it’s not a rubbish remaster.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Apparently PS5 version has only one platinum trophy while PS4 has 3. Same shit as COD MW3, all 3 games probably share one launcher and app id.
Wait what? How do they expect to get away with it? I may end up picking the PS4 version on purpose despite planning to play it on the PS5. It's not like the games are going to get some huge PS5 performance boosts.

Or maybe the Series X version won't get less trophies.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
What can I say, it looks good. A bit too cartoonish from the pics, but I hope the final lighting is better.
The different look in TR1 may also be due to better draw distance, which was admittedly pretty poor in the original, but it did wonders for the atmosphere of the game.

00_Zer0

I bought it but I wonder if they can implement RTX remix just like OpenLara
If it's possible modders will find a way! I just saw a demo of the original Tomb Raider on PC with RTX Remix and it looks bad! Here's a link and you can judge for yourself:

Notice the animals Lara kills are now what appear to me as robotic in nature. Don't know whose working on this, but it looks terrible and the PETA style BS needs to be removed. Thankfully nothing is stopping other modders out there to give the new trilogy a go, or even take the original PC release and do a better job than what is shown in that fugly Youtube video.

tommib

If it's possible modders will find a way! I just saw a demo of the original Tomb Raider on PC with RTX Remix and it looks bad! Here's a link and you can judge for yourself:

Notice the animals Lara kills are now what appear to me as robotic in nature. Don't know whose working on this, but it looks terrible and the PETA style BS needs to be removed. Thankfully nothing is stopping other modders out there to give the new trilogy a go, or even take the original PC release and do a better job than what is shown in that fugly Youtube video.

This is what RTX Remix does? Puts random lights everywhere to saturate and contrast the original image? Looks so fucking wrong.

00_Zer0

This is what RTX Remix does? Puts random lights everywhere to saturate and contrast the original image? Looks so fucking wrong.
No, you can change textures completely to modern standards. This modder just sucks at what they are doing or wants to keep the old look with the crappy lighting and changing animals into enemy robots.

Here is what it looks like when someone is competent using RTX Remix:

Last edited:

Well yes, if it isn't that obvious from my statement, I do have the OpenLara RTX. I wanted to see how the new lighting works in the game and not too concerned about the "edits" the modder made. Not so sure why you have to bring up the video. My point being is whether the game files will allow for RTX remix to be utilized since it's based on the same game engine.

Last edited:

Pipoqueiro

Sony's stupid decision to make platinum trophies difficult

I'll have to play the PS4 version, or I'll just buy the game on PC
These are games that I've already finished, if it's just for the graphics, PC will always have an advantage

I usually buy it on PS5 for the trophies

xrnzaaas

One good news in all of this is that you get both the PS4 & PS5 versions from a single purchase in the PS Store. I'll just install the PS4 version since I don't care about haptics or the adaptive triggers.

Bond007

Was hyped for this and still am. However, with no physical release I unfortunately won't be buying this. I'm just not about supporting digital only.
So when they decide to release a disc or it goes on sale substantially later on- that is when I will bite.

tommib

Was hyped for this and still am. However, with no physical release I unfortunately won't be buying this. I'm just not about supporting digital only.
So when they decide to release a disc or it goes on sale substantially later on- that is when I will bite.
Are you telling me you haven’t played INSIDE?

Brute

I want this but I also don’t as it looks rough as shit.

Will it have the god awful controls from the original games? Or have they reworked the gameplay?

xrnzaaas

I want this but I also don’t as it looks rough as shit.

Will it have the god awful controls from the original games? Or have they reworked the gameplay?
Tank controls will be there as an option. They will also offer modern controls with right analogue stick for rotating. Obviously it's still not gonna play as smooth as the later games, but at the end of the day they're only remasters.

deeptech

I wanted to like this but... idk. That mud animation they mention in gameinformer video in TR3 really must've been so hard to program.

Top Bottom