• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Remastered Trilogy New Gameplay Videos Released

So which system should I get this on? 4k/60 big screen experience on PS5 or 720p/60 handheld switch? This is q tough call guys ...3d remasters on Switch tend to not control as well so I'm leaning PS5 but this might look better on the small screen since the textures are so low res ..

Buggy Loop

While its still work in progress, I think I have more hope for the RTX remix

I hope they keep that Quake RTX concept where the geometry and texture work are mainly the same as the original, maybe a few PBR shaders for material to work with path tracing. To me it looks better than the remaster even in this early state.

Last edited:

alf717

I played through the original on Saturn at 5-10 fps recently, and has a great time. So good, that I even looked into getting a PS1 to play 2,3 etc.

I don’t really care what they look like, I am just glad they will be available.
I played the Saturn version for the first time years ago and it was an interesting look at Tomb Raider running on Saturn hardware. I've always had a soft spot for inferior versions, they just ooze charm.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
So which system should I get this on? 4k/60 big screen experience on PS5 or 720p/60 handheld switch? This is q tough call guys ...3d remasters on Switch tend to not control as well so I'm leaning PS5 but this might look better on the small screen since the textures are so low res ..
If it’s anything like the Vita or the PS3 for PS1 games. I prefer the Vita. I went hand held. Save the 8k gaming for AAA’s. :)

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Has anyone made any comments on the PS5 version? Any hint of 4K/120fps/HDR or anything along those lines? Torn between getting it on Switch vs PS5.
It's definitely 4K60FPS on PS5 not sure about HDR as they never mention that kinda stuff
Switch is 720/1080p60fps to my knowledge.

The awkward step is where we are now when Lara and Drake move in autopilot, following jumping scripts we have no control of. Tank controls is where it’s at.
Like I’ve said in the previous thread about this game, there is a middle ground that can be reached between these polar opposites, but no dev wants to actually try it, and no fan wants to seriously discuss and consider it.

We are forever left with only one version of older Tomb Raider controls(because it never had a chance to evolve) and people will forever think that’s the only way to do it right if you want a challenge.

Yeah, should’ve added a flashlight or something, at a couple occasions it looks like the player is flipping over to the original mode just to light up dark areas.
If its optional sure, but other than that i do not see the point, Tomb are supposed to be dark, the slow gameplay will make sure you be careful even though you have to stumble through darkness to get where you need to go.
I call it a sort of cheating if your just going to resort to switching back and forth between graphics because you want to see.. also it will totally take me out of the immersion to do that constantly. I want darkness, this is the only game that gets that, for instance the idea that they had going for in dark souls 2 (Beta) where you had to sacrifice your shield for a torch is excellent i want more of that... i want to stumble through darkness so i can come towards the light and feel better for it... i want to explore dark tombs that won't hold my hand, a flashlight would completely make the traversal a lot less engaging and fearful.

Like I’ve said in the previous thread about this game, there is a middle ground that can be reached between these polar opposites, but no dev wants to actually try it, and no fan wants to seriously discuss and consider it.

We are forever left with only one version of older Tomb Raider controls(because it never had a chance to evolve) and people will forever think that’s the only way to do it right if you want a challenge.
This is why it is so sad that Core Design wasn't able to improve AOD due to Eidos demanding a deadline. Core design was on the vergy to rediscover classic tomb raider traversal in a modern more appealing way. But Eidos wouldn't hear anything off it truly a lost opportunity to revitalise this sort of gameplay design.

Scotty W

Gold Member

The game is 30 years old and already has a remake. Let it go, let it go. The controls never bothered me anyway.

Gold Member
Excited for this! I used up my PS Stars points and got it for free, but really excited to play through these again as it’s been a very long time.

I csnt wait to see the underswater ship wrecked levtl in tr2. Man oh man!
Ahh for real, the first time you dive down and have to swim into it blew my mind back in ’97. Then wondering around the wreak as well, amazing feels.

Dutchy

Some people love the originals and just want enhanced ports to play on modern platforms, others want a remake. You can't please everyone, but I think the studio made the right call. Plenty of modern Tomb Raider games to go around, might as well preserve the originals. It's also rather cheap.
When it comes to oldschool games I'd rather take a remaster since most games from that era had outdated graphics work in their favor when it came to atmosphere.

I'll never forget how they massacred my boy abe

618cc8cca66653db8ca8a028cdd00991.jpg

Oddworld_Screen.jpg

amigastar

Just looked up which came out first Mario 64 or Tomb Raider.
Mario 64 came out earlier and introduced the analog stick.
I suppose Tomb Raider aged worse than Mario 64, right?

Last edited:
The game is 30 years old and already has a remake. Let it go, let it go. The controls never bothered me anyway.
You're quoting the wrong person. I don't dislike either control scheme, but I'm understanding towards with those who miss the difficulty it offered, and I am simply suggesting that it can be iterated on instead of everyone needing to accept one solution or the other as a defacto solution.

Last edited:
Just looked up which came out first Mario 64 or Tomb Raider.
Mario 64 came out earlier and introduced the analog stick.
Mario 64 is a speedy platformer with imprecise controls thanks to its analog movement.
Tomb Raider is a 3d action adventure platformer with slow accurate jumping mechanics thanks to its binary control scheme.
they are very different and should not be compared.

They both achieve perfection in 3d environment movement but in different ways.

cireza

Tomb Raider is timeless. Replayed the first game last year and it was still better than any other game in the series. Excellent, fair controls. Fantastic level-design.

I don't know if it has been posted but apparently the old mode switches to 30fps on all consoles.
Not buying if that's the case. Waiting for more reviews and eventually updates.

Last edited:
Pre-ordered on PS5 :)
I still have the og TRII with a working TRII memory card containing 25+ years old savegames. The early games are the best in the series. Never really played the original apart from a demo back in the day. I did play Anniversary, but with Legends i find it missing something… What the early games captured beatifully is the sense of wonder and discovery. In my opinion still unbeaten, even with Uncharted existing. There is no comms(ugh in Legends), radio, internet or whatever just pure silence and ambiant sound. Partially due to hardware limitations i guess but impressive nonetheless.

TRII, one of my favorites games. I did replay it several years ago on the PS3. Still awesome despite some aspects not growing old gracefully. The out of proportions objects looked weird, now even more. One of my favorite levels is the Tibetan Monastery.

I don't remember a lot of TRIII, just that it did look really pretty at the time and had a canoe. I didn't strike me as difficult as some here suggesting. O, and the ares 51 + alien ufo was… corny haha.

Last edited:

Needlecrash

Game Informer video is like, what is wrong with those people, complaining constantly about killing animals and making jokes all about it, have they really not played the original games and who the fuck works in this industry and hasn't, whether as a developer or in the media about it. Just fuck off.

The dude can't even climb short obstacles without making a stupid full jump or realize he needs to do a running jump to clear larger distances at the very end, what kind of fucking imbeciles are covering games nowadays (ok always but come the fuck on, you have the internet to be informed now)?
I noticed that shit too. " I don't wanna kill the dogs!" TAKE YOUR SOY BOY ASS AWAY FROM THE GAME PLEASE. Just wait till he fights the fucking Lions, Monkeys and a T-Rex! They are trying to end your ass and you're worried about harming pixelated wolves???? THE FUCK.

Zuzu

I’ve been playing for about 10-15 minutes. I’m very pleased so far. The new visuals look wonderful in beginning of the first game and performance is a smooth 60fps. It’s a bit jarring switching back to original visuals and 30fps so I’ll likely keep it on the new visuals most of the time I’d say. I like the little icon that displayed above the lever as well. Some screenshots (I’ve compressed them):

r4TMLFY.jpg

5RqQd3w.jpg

CUqQCwk.jpg

Last edited:

Krathoon

Yeah. It is just enough of an upgrade. As it should be.

I did not quite like how they changed the look of the bridges.

Top Bottom