• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This is SSX (Trailer) + Uber Mondays

soultron

Banned
The Kaori video just affirmed my suspicion. The characters are just mannequins. Way back in SSX3 they had personality, now they don't even seem themself! And wth no voice !?

I guess not day 1 now.

There are character voices. They're just not in this video. Check some of the actual gameplay videos.

Guys I want this game so bad I that last night I dreamt about just playing the demo. Not even the full game. That's how bad I just want the DEMO. Is that sad?

Hawk SE

I know we're too far away for an OT - but we need one. I want to start collecting GT's to have names for RiderNet once I get SSX

soultron

Banned
The Explore website has updated with Africa and the Alps as well. I'm at work so I don't have sound on the videos, but I'm really digging the way Africa looks. I love the lava tube runs!

http://www.ea.com/ssx/1/explore-ssx

The Alps video is great. Love the destroyed chalets and broken down lift lines. The whole story behind them is that avalanches ruined them, IIRC. Looking forward to getting creative when making it down to the bottom!

Srly.

The WubWubDubHub.

OMG CAN WE CALL IT THAT?!?!?

OMG YES PLEASE. NeoGAF WubWubDubHub or GAFWWDH for short.

New video basically confirms by omission that there will be no head to head races. If you drop in on an event your friend is in you might see them, but that's about it. Oh well. I think the score chasing aspect of the game will be enough to keep most players happy but it would have been nice to do head to head races.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I really have a tough decision on which system to go with. Friends on both consoles that I want to play with. Ugh.

New video basically confirms by omission that there will be no head to head races. If you drop in on an event your friend is in you might see them, but that's about it. Oh well. I think the score chasing aspect of the game will be enough to keep most players happy but it would have been nice to do head to head races.

Wait so there's no online multiplayer? Or there's no way to play online multiplayer in a Friends Only Party?

Wait so there's no online multiplayer? Or there's no way to play online multiplayer in a Friends Only Party?

Well there is no lobby so if you wanted to start a race at the same time you would have to create a global event, limit it to friends only, and then you and your friends would all have to start it at the exact same time in order to be able to see each other on the mountain.

AndyD

aka andydumi

Its odd, but there must be some sort of easy way to compete against each other in a race, so you can push and shove. Otherwise its not any different from the asynchronous mode they mentioned before.

SHIT Geo Tags sounds like the coolest idea ever.

They are pretty neat. So you want to make them difficult to find but not impossible as you dont get paid until they are picked up.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Well there is no lobby so if you wanted to start a race at the same time you would have to create a global event, limit it to friends only, and then you and your friends would all have to start it at the exact same time in order to be able to see each other on the mountain.

Seems like an odd decision. Hopefully they can patch in straight head-to-head races.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Currently leaning towards PS3 btw, but hopefully eitherway we'll have a good spread of names for both consoles. Cross-platform would've been awesome.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
They try to tout that they don't have lobbies, but that isn't impressive if you don't do what lobbies are built to do. I understand them being annoyed by lobbies, but it's kind of unfair to say "lobbies are boring, so we just scrapped anything that requires a lobby".

The online features are cool, but it would nice to have a traditional online mode.

AndyD

aka andydumi
They try to tout that they don't have lobbies, but that isn't impressive if you don't do what lobbies are built to do. I understand them being annoyed by lobbies, but it's kind of unfair to say "lobbies are boring, so we just scrapped anything that requires a lobby".

The online features are cool, but it would nice to have a traditional online mode.

I wonder if there will be a notification system for online friends?

I mean let me set up event details, then button to share to online friends and schedule it to start in 1 minute. Friends get notification, they accept, they are helicoptered to the starting line. We all start when event gates open with a 5 second countdown. Those who choose not to accept can take the challenge asynchronous later.

Sort of how you would free ride up to starting gates in SSX 3 and it transitioned to a gated race event.

So instead of waiting in a non game lobby, you ride around freely and go to events when they start.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

They think the mountains are so wide open that you'll never run across your friends beyond the starting point and from the videos I've seen, that seems to be true. Still would like the option though.

They think the mountains are so wide open that you'll never run across your friends beyond the starting point and from the videos I've seen, that seems to be true. Still would like the option though.

Ugh, same lame excuse given for not having replays.

iFootball

I'm going with PS3 to stop EA from getting my Xbox Live details, and for Mt. Fuji.

Yeah PS3 is the way to go for Fuji. Picking it up day 1, if not a little after.

Same here. What are these GT names you guys are talking about? Can you already register on ridernet?

Pretty hard to pass up another mountain assuming all things are equal.

Gamertags
PSN ID's

PS3 SSX GAF add me up !!

PSN : NullPointer

gondee

I wonder if there will be a notification system for online friends?
Doubtful - because if there was they would have talked about how amazing and revolutionary such a thing is. If you're on PSN, get ready to send tons of PSN notifications yourself and wait for people to show up at a track. Then someone says "3,2,1 GO!" and that's how you start a race.

Yet they're as open as SSX Tricky/3. I have yet to see those huge, open mountains they talked about. There's no open mountain, there's tracks. Untracked was a huge, huge, wide track, at one point it divided into three and each one was as wide as a regular SSX course. I have yet to see anything as open as that. And then there's the couldn't-possibly-be-more-linear trees DD, and the most linear and narrow track in SSX history, that run in the Alps that's very difficult. If all tracks were super wide open, but only a few of them are. That Himalayas run is a regular SSX track, a few paths, shortcuts, the usual deal. Garibaldi on SSX Tricky has literally 2 paths almost the entire run. From what I've seen, I don't believe we'll see anything that's substantially wider or bigger than some of the courses we got earlier.

They seem to forget 2 things:

1. People might never see each other after the start, but that's not a reason to exclude real racing. Who are they to decide that's a reason to not include it? We still want racing no matter what. We never had a proper racing mode before. We had one on one's in SSX3 (PS2 only). Really?

2. People will find the best lines and stick to them with minor variations. HELLO!! This is pretty obvious. People will get better and find out the good lines in each track and stick to them. That means we'd be having tight, close racing some time after the game came out... If they included racing. Specially this being SSX, specially with them knowing VERY well how the community is. They even say they're all over Merqury City, they should know better the fansite WILL find the best lines, WILL post videos showing them and WILL attract lots of players that will see them. In return, online, people will then be applying what they saw and race the same lines over and over again. Specially when the community thins down and only the hardcore are left. Left with no proper racing mind you.

Also, I posted this idea at MC, I thought they'd do something like this because DDs are such a great part of the game:

They're also missing a VERY good opportunity to make an amazing online mode, Survival Race. It'd be like Eliminator. You can have players run the course 2 times (gets harder the second time). People get eliminated once they fail, once you get to the bottom you go up immediately and start going down for the 2nd and last time. Wins the last player that gets to the bottom alive after 2 'laps'. If 2 or more players get to the bottom alive, wins the fastest. It'd easily be the most thrilling events online. You need to be fast but you can't risk too much or you risk getting eliminated because there are no rewinds. You can see people falling to their death in front of you and you see the list of players getting shrunk each second and every minute there's more and more 'Eliminated' messages on the player list.

But no...

soultron

Banned
Seems like an odd decision. Hopefully they can patch in straight head-to-head races.

It might be a love it or hate it thing, but I think this method of competing against one another encourages more communication both inside and outside the game. You can party chat while you're on the same runs or simply challenging their other run scores.

Outside of the game, if they're really good friends of yours, you can text them (maybe the SSX app will let you message people through that) saying, "I just demolished your score on ___________."

I really don't mind this method of MP. There's no collisions and the mountains are fairly wide and offer multiple routes, so I don't see the need for synchronized MP. Now lag, for the most part, is out of the question. If the course designs were like previous SSX games (small and narrow) I'd bemoan the lack of collisions since players would often be near one another and there'd be an actual justification for not having synchronized MP. But here, with the new SSX, it makes sense from a design decision.

I'm basically sold on Global Events. I just want to see how RiderNet supports all of this.

Top Bottom