• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This is SSX (Trailer) + Uber Mondays

Zabka

I don't mind EA dumping out market speak like "asynchronous multiplayer" when their games have actual multiplayer but this is really disappointing.

gondee

Demon Souls doesn't do it, and it was declared fucking brilliant because of it.
Apples and oranges my friend. :)

What I gather is that real-time multi-player racing will be sorely missed if it is in fact excluded. I always thought it would have been a natural progression of the series to include that. I'm still baffled.
It's not excluded, it's just not organized as such. Like I said before, you'll be waiting at the top until someone shows up and you must talk with them to start at the same time.

soultron

Banned
:lol at us on Merq right now. We're trying to figure out if there's collision detection in the Global Events mode. There is collision in World Tour, apparently.

We don't even know if we've seen Global Events in action because the IGN and GB previews were only Explore and World Tour gameplay.

This is getting so confusing.

I live with 7 friends in a dorm at college, so I'll wind up probably using my buddy's gamertag. Will update with the actual tag once I can remember what it is and if I get his ok. Man, I'm considering changing the shipping of my copy to as quick as possible. Just can't wait for this game!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
:lol at us on Merq right now. We're trying to figure out if there's collision detection in the Global Events mode. There is collision in World Tour, apparently.

We don't even know if we've seen Global Events in action because the IGN and GB previews were only Explore and World Tour gameplay.

This is getting so confusing.

God damnit I was just getting used to your new avatar

Hmmm, what is "Merq" ?

It's Merqury City, SSX fan site. The funny thing is we got soultron and gondee replying to each other here, THEN at the merq city forums they're having ANOTHER conversation about the same thing. :lol

http://merqurycity.com/ssx_forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9615&p=274730#p274730

So I haven't been able to follow this very well - but there's no confirmation then that there isn't head to head racing? Is there, there isn't, or is it a 'we don't know yet?'

gondee

but there's no confirmation then that there isn't head to head racing?
No head to head racing in the sense of 'here is a single instance event' and someone wins regardless of what time they get.

There is multiplayer racing in that you send an invite to your friends for a custom global event, wait at the start until they all show up (if you don't run out of patience), yell "GO!" then see who reaches the bottom first. But this is all done on the honor system and doesn't keep someone from leaving first. No 'formal' event system per se. And if none of your SSX friends are online, you join established Global Events and just race/trick against a leaderboard, while other riders phase in and out around you.

No head to head racing in the sense of 'here is a single instance event' and someone wins regardless of what time they get.

There is multiplayer racing in that you send an invite to your friends for a custom global event, wait at the start until they all show up (if you don't run out of patience), yell "GO!" then see who reaches the bottom first. But this is all done on the honor system and doesn't keep someone from leaving first. No 'formal' event system per se.

That's not good enough for this day and age. For a sports game specially.

soultron

Banned

There is multiplayer racing in that you send an invite to your friends for a custom global event, wait at the start until they all show up (if you don't run out of patience), yell "GO!" then see who reaches the bottom first. But this is all done on the honor system and doesn't keep someone from leaving first. No 'formal' event system per se. And if none of your SSX friends are online, you join established Global Events and just race/trick against a leaderboard, while other riders phase in and out around you.

Who needs the honour system when the game tracks your time? Even if you start a split second apart from one another, your time is still recorded accurately with respect to your individual run.

Kaizer

Banned
Damn, no split-screen or real multiplayer (from what I'm understanding - as in random lobbies, matchmaking for races, those kinds of things) is dropping this down from a Day 1 for me. I'm still excited to play it, but there's so much coming out in February and March that I can wait if I can't immediately hop online to race some fellow friends - and not their ghosts/times/etc.

gondee

Who needs the honour system when the game tracks your time? Even if you start a split second apart from one another, your time is still recorded accurately with respect to your individual run.
It's the difference between time trials and the actual 100-meter dash with other racers. A formal event introduces tension that just going down a slope doesn't, and pride when you win something that other people couldn't. In this time, in this moment, even if everyone has a horrible race that is far from their best game, I still won it. There's a lot to say for the competition aspect of it. Divorce the game too far from this and all you're doing is competing against a leaderboard.

You can still do multiplayer in a sense - but it's not what people are expecting and I'm not sure reviewers are going to see this as a boon once review time comes around.

soultron

Banned
It's the difference between time trials and the actual 100-meter dash with other racers. A formal event introduces tension that just going down a slope doesn't, and pride when you win something that other people couldn't. In this time, in this moment, even if everyone has a horrible race that is far from their best game, I still won it. There's a lot to say for the competition aspect of it. Divorce the game too far from this and all you're doing is competing against a leaderboard.

You can still do multiplayer in a sense - but it's not what people are expecting and I'm not sure reviewers are going to see this as a boon once review time comes around.

Guh. The more we talk about this, the more not having concrete information on Global Events hurts. :c

People, it's gotdamn Trackmania: SSX, what's all the fuss about in here? No, it's not traditional boardercross one shot races, but you're still competing against real people in real time. Sure I'd like to see tighter courses with traditional "everyone starts at the same time" type of stuff, but I don't get why this would be a deal breaker. The heart of SSX has always been topping someone else's time or score. All they've done is brought that to the forefront.

soultron

Banned
People, it's gotdamn Trackmania: SSX, what's all the fuss about in here? No, it's not traditional boardercross one shot races, but you're still competing against real people in real time. Sure I'd like to see tighter courses with traditional "everyone starts at the same time" type of stuff, but I don't get why this would be a deal breaker. The heart of SSX has always been topping someone else's time or score. All they've done is brought that to the forefront.

It still seems like we're missing certain bits of information. Also, they've not shown Global Events once yet.

It still seems like we're missing certain bits of information. Also, they've not shown Global Events once yet.

I just don't understand the confusion. The course has a timer on it, people drop in and post times/scores, there's probably an option to start from the beginning if you aren't happy with your run, the timer counts down, people are awarded credits based on position on the leaderboard, the tournament starts over. They've also shown custom Global Events for if you want to invite friends to a specific kind of course where the host can mess with the rules and options. No there most likely isn't a "grid" style 3, 2, 1 race, but this game and a lot of the courses don't look to be built for full contact pack racing.

IDK, maybe it's the Trackmania fanboy inside of me getting excited because nailing the "perfect run" and seeing people try to top it, or chasing that top time/score is really fun, but I'm not blowing my top at this yet. I'm willing to give it a chance.

Hale-XF11

The heart of SSX has always been topping someone else's time or score.
For you, perhaps. For others, real-time race events are where it's at, or even some other type of event. It should at the very least be as core to the experience as online racing is to Mario Kart, but with live chat.

Well, for me the heart of SSX was always the distinctive tracks and spending a lot of time replaying my runs from numerous different angles.

I also wish they'd steal the communities idea from Nintendo so that we wouldnt have to fill up our friends lists.

soultron

Banned
I just don't understand the confusion. The course has a timer on it, people drop in and post times/scores, there's probably an option to start from the beginning if you aren't happy with your run, the timer counts down, people are awarded credits based on position on the leaderboard, the tournament starts over. They've also shown custom Global Events for if you want to invite friends to a specific kind of course where the host can mess with the rules and options. No there most likely isn't a "grid" style 3, 2, 1 race, but this game and a lot of the courses don't look to be built for full contact pack racing.

IDK, maybe it's the Trackmania fanboy inside of me getting excited because nailing the "perfect run" and seeing people try to top it, or chasing that top time/score is really fun, but I'm not blowing my top at this yet. I'm willing to give it a chance.

I'm completely there with you. AutoLog was a revolution to racing games and I'm happy to see the same form of competition here.

It's just confusing at this point because I'd like to know what to say to the people bemoaning the lack of simultaneous multiplayer, but I really can't say anything because I don't know one thing for sure regarding Global Events. If they had an option to sync a drop between friends (like you keep racing in your current run, but get ripped out of your current run when the last player "readies up," and then are transported to the top of the selected group run) it'd be easy to say, "There's still a way to do head-to-head," but we just don't know either way just yet.

Furthering the confusion is the minor details like collisions. IIRC, there was to be no collisions at all in the game (between PvP and PvAI) but in the GB Quick Look Connor mentions there is collisions between the player and AI riders in World Tour. There is no collision in Explore since friends' ghosts are literally immaterial representations of their racer('s line and tricks) and the "solid" AI riders representing the gold, silver, and bronze lines also fade in/out when you're about to collide with them. It's expected that the same will be true in Global Events, but it's hard to tell.

daffy

Banned
It's Merqury City, SSX fan site. The funny thing is we got soultron and gondee replying to each other here, THEN at the merq city forums they're having ANOTHER conversation about the same thing. :lol

http://merqurycity.com/ssx_forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9615&p=274730#p274730

So I haven't been able to follow this very well - but there's no confirmation then that there isn't head to head racing? Is there, there isn't, or is it a 'we don't know yet?'

ha ha.. gracias :)

InertiaXr

AutoLog was a revolution to racing games and I'm happy to see the same form of competition here.

I played quite a bit of NFS Hot Pursuit, and from what I remember isn't 'AutoLog' just leaderboards? I remember SSX 3 Online had leaderboards per track/event.

soultron

Banned
I played quite a bit of NFS Hot Pursuit, and from what I remember isn't 'AutoLog' just leaderboards? I remember SSX 3 Online had leaderboards per track/event.

It's integration of multiplayer leaderboards and stat-tracking in your single player experience.

Autolog tracks the performance index of your car (the sum of all the points assigned to your particular upgrades; tricked out car = better = higher perf. index value), the model of your car, and whatever time or score you've posted.

Autolog also recommended tracks for you based on what events/tracks you preferred. It told you what your friends had just done and where they were currently racing.

The biggest thing for me, which might be considered minor to some, is that it fed your friends data (split times, your + to their time at that checkpoint/gate on the track) into the game so you could see how you were performing in relation to them while you were racing by yourself. I'd be able to see your times when I passed the 2nd gate in a race and know I was 1.3 seconds ahead of your best time. It constantly reminded you that you were competing against your friends even though they weren't physically with you on that track.

If you utilize all of the data Autolog feeds to you, it either makes sure you have an enjoyable time (because it will recommend similar events or tracks) or makes sure you improve (because you'll always be trying to shave seconds off or earn higher event-specific scores) as you play.

InertiaXr

It's integration of multiplayer leaderboards and stat-tracking in your single player experience.

Just sounds like marketing speak now. -__-

Autolog tracks the performance index of your car (the sum of all the points assigned to your particular upgrades; tricked out car = better = higher perf. index value), the model of your car, and whatever time or score you've posted.

I can see that being useful in a game where you have control over your cars internals like Shift 2, none of that in HP though. I think this new SSX has some sort of half-assed RPG and stat boost stuff in it though? 'AutoLog' could base off of those stats/numbers I guess. Of course within days everybody will have the best gear/boards anyways.

Autolog also recommended tracks for you based on what events/tracks you preferred. It told you what your friends had just done and where they were currently racing.

I already know what tracks I like, that's why I've done then multiple times to the point where the game realizes I like them and recommends them to me.

The biggest thing for me, which might be considered minor to some, is that it fed your friends data (split times, your + to their time at that checkpoint/gate on the track) into the game so you could see how you were performing in relation to them while you were racing by yourself. I'd be able to see your times when I passed the 2nd gate in a race and know I was 1.3 seconds ahead of your best time. It constantly reminded you that you were competing against your friends even though they weren't physically with you on that track.

I played a good probably 3000+ hours of SSX 3 online, and I'm almost 100% positive that had real time splits between you and the dude you were competing against in trick/point events, and I'm pretty sure it had time splits in the race events, back in 2003.

I should say that all I'm really hoping for out of this 'SSX reboot' is simply 3 and maybe Tricky up-rezzed/HDed with full 8 player online events, this new one seems to have all sorts of little things I either have no interest in or actively dislike that would get in my way of enjoying it for any decent length of time.

balddemon

Banned
Soooo I want this game. And I'm -fine- with no online MP (not really, but I can get over it).

But what Really Really Really annoys me and pushes me away from buying it is the lack of splitscreen?! I at least wanna be able to thrash my family like I have since 2000!

That's fucked up, EA. Fucked. Up.

M.W.

So, is there even a single player mode in this game? Or is it just one big tutorial then you move on to Rider Net?

parasight

It's hard to believe a game so jam-packed is missing the most basic things. No split-screen and no head-to-head multiplayer is a pretty big oversight.

Soooo I want this game. And I'm -fine- with no online MP (not really, but I can get over it).

Why do I keep reading this? That and "So we're basically racing against ghosts all the time?" What? No. There is still online multiplayer with real people, it has just become about everyone on the course posting their best runs in real time as opposed to a one off standard boardercross race.

soultron

Banned
So, is there even a single player mode in this game? Or is it just one big tutorial then you move on to Rider Net?

There is a single player mode: World Tour. It's ultimate purpose is to get your acclimated to the game so you can do well online. But you could say the same about most any games these days with both a SP and an MP component.

It does have a light fiction involved (Team SSX has to conquer all 9 of the deadly descents!) and you also play as every character in the game during its chapters.

daffy

Banned
They are "re-inventing" the way it's played. F*ck that sh*t.

So I looked back a couple page and noticed this whole thing is because a gaffer decided to "confirm by omission".. I'm thinking maybe we should wait a little bit, for reviews and stuff before going all crazy? Did you actually ask if there was a single player mode.. lol. Seems like you are already uninformed, or are angry and jumping the gun.. Jump jump! hahahah :)

Sorry just seems like blind leading the blind on here.. :shrugs:

soultron

Banned
Does anyone know what engine this game is running on? Looks sweet.

AFAIK the game's engine has been built from the ground up. I'm sure its using middleware of some sort and/or tech from other EA studios, however.

The physics engine is definitely unique to the game though. They spent 2+ years working on it.

soultron

Banned
Wow, pretty damning news in my eyes. I would probably pass on this if I wasn't getting a free copy already. Now I'll feel obligated to play. :/

You know there's still a great game in there, right?

Also, as was just pointed out, we're still unsure as to what the game's real MP will and won't have because it's unclear. Gameplay from Global Events has not been shown yet.

Nizz

AFAIK the game's engine has been built from the ground up. I'm sure its using middleware of some sort and/or tech from other EA studios, however.

The physics engine is definitely unique to the game though. They spent 2+ years working on it.
Ohh. Thanks for answering. I thought maybe they were using Frostbite 2.

Ilive1up

not sure if this has been answered but, can you just play against your friends online? or is it all just one big global room with people popping in and out?

not sure if this has been answered but, can you just play against your friends online? or is it all just one big global room with people popping in and out?
Hasn't been confirmed nor unconfirmed. The current argument is about this.

I reckon there is though.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Wow, pretty damning news in my eyes. I would probably pass on this if I wasn't getting a free copy already. Now I'll feel obligated to play. :/

QFWS8.gif

It's still SSX! :D I'm disappointed by some of the decisions too but for free?

M.W.

Also, as was just pointed out, we're still unsure as to what the game's real MP will and won't have because it's unclear. Gameplay from Global Events has not been shown yet.

It's ridiculous that this hasn't been shown yet. Stupid, really.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Sucks about the MP but I'll wait until it's more solidly confirmed. No local co-op is already a bad omission...I still really want the demo for this, though.

ScOULaris

They are "re-inventing" the way it's played. F*ck that sh*t.

Yeah, well I'm gonna "re-invent" the way I buy games then. Looks like I'll be picking this shit up used instead of Day 1. Sorry, EA. Split-screen and head-to-head racing would have earned you my money, but you're not getting shit if this is just Trackmania on ice.

Top Bottom