• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This is SSX (Trailer) + Uber Mondays

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I bought SSX Tricky yesterday because I haven't played it in a long time. I've been playing SSX 3, but I wanted to try Tricky again.

I can now definitely say I like 3 much much more than Tricky. 3 is just so much better.

I bought SSX Tricky yesterday because I haven't played it in a long time. I've been playing SSX 3, but I wanted to try Tricky again.

I can now definitely say I like 3 much much more than Tricky. 3 is just so much better.

Gameplay, sure. But the characters of Tricky have yet to be topped. If they would just give them as much personality at they had then, complete with friendships and rivalries, this game would've been even better.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Gameplay, sure. But the characters of Tricky have yet to be topped. If they would just give them as much personality at they had then, complete with friendships and rivalries, this game would've been even better.

Yeah I will give Tricky that but it's not as if 3 is devoid of personality. The gameplay improvements are way more than I remember them being.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

So am I the only one who really doesn't care about story or characters in a snowboarding game? Or a skateboarding one for that matter.

Quit talking characters, I'm trying to listen to that wubwubwub

So am I the only one who really doesn't care about story or characters in a snowboarding game? Or a skateboarding one for that matter.

Quit talking characters, I'm trying to listen to that wubwubwub

Good characters only add to the experience and make it more memorable, and that goes for any game. Some people would be fine playing SSX with stick figures, but a bland and boring SSX atmosphere is not one I want a part of, even with great gameplay. It's the difference between the "Golden Age" of EA BIG games (NBA Street 1 and 2, Def Jame Vendetta, Def Jam FFNY, SSX Tricky) and almost everything afterwards. They lost a lot of that spark.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Good characters only add to the experience and make it more memorable, and that goes for any game. Some people would be fine playing SSX with stick figures, but a bland and boring SSX atmosphere is not one I want a part of, even with great gameplay. It's the difference between the "Golden Age" of EA BIG games (NBA Street 1 and 2, Def Jame Vendetta, Def Jam FFNY, SSX Tricky) and everything afterwards to me. They lost a lot of that spark.

NBA Street characters didn't talk. They might as well have been stick figures.

iFootball

For those like me who are wondering how the PS3 version is coming up (as it hasnt been showcased much...) EA just published some photos on their SSX Facebook page:

http://facebook.com/easportsssx

From the photos you can see they are showing the game at the X-games using PS3's ... So I guess they're not hiding it too much by showing it to the public.

... Can't wait!

NBA Street characters didn't talk. They might as well have been stick figures.

It's not JUST about the characters talking, but the vibe as a whole. It seems like with each installment of the series', the more the tech got better, but the games became less of an insane party, and more of an exaggerated version of real life. These games used to be Speed Racer, but now they're Death Race.

_RT_

Was just watching some snowboarding on tv and they had a commercial for the new SSX. Commercial kinda sucked, but at the end it said something to the effect of... "get it for free on PSN now...."

Thought the demo might have dropped at an odd time, but I saw nothing.

SUCH A TEASE.

Was just watching some snowboarding on tv and they had a commercial for the new SSX. Commercial kinda sucked, but at the end it said something to the effect of... "get it for free on PSN now...."

Thought the demo might have dropped at an odd time, but I saw nothing.

SUCH A TEASE.

Hmm so that's the banner ad and a commercial falsely advertising the demo, when it's not even out. I wonder if something went wrong with it and they're having a hard time getting it to pass cert, or something.

Hmm so that's the banner ad and a commercial falsely advertising the demo, when it's not even out. I wonder if something went wrong with it and they're having a hard time getting it to pass cert, or something.

Just saw a new flash banner ad today. It no longer says "Download Demo Now". Instead it says "Pre-Order Now".

This seems like a marketing snafu more than anything. They probably planned to have the demo out this Tuesday and set up all these ads months ago. Now the game is been delayed two weeks, which means the demo probably has been to and as such they've had to adjust the ads.

I would have gotten a screenshot, but like an idiot I changed pages and now I can't get it to show up again after like 100 refreshes (but I sure am interested in re-roofing my house now...).

Edit: Found on the SA forums. Achievements are posted at http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/ssx/achievements/. Looks like most of them don't require you to play online, but a few do.

Wow, I hit up the SSX account on twitter about the demo and they replied to me. Here's the convo.

Me: @EASPORTSSSX all these ads online are proclaiming I can download the demo now, but there is no demo. What's up with that?

Them (via direct message): Where you seeing the ads? No demo announced yet.

Me (via public reply since they un-followed me right after sending that): @EASPORTSSSX This was the ad seen on Neogaf.com as on 1/26. http://i.imgur.com/hXlkF.png. As of today it just says "pre-order now" instead.

So, take that however you'd like. Seems odd that they would say "no demo announced yet" when I'm pretty sure somebody on the team said there would be a demo pre-release at some point...

soultron

Banned

I'm putting my tinfoil hat on here, but I'm guessing they delayed the demo because they want the build to be as close to representing the final, delayed product as possible. Maybe some minor tweaks that they're aiming to have in the final build of the game are going to be in the demo as well.

If they release a demo soon it will certainly make the folks in the thread about Nintendo's demo limits that said no one would play a demo 30 times look foolish. I'm ready to play the hell out of this demo. Release it.

Hale-XF11

On a side note, I just popped 3 back into my PS2. So good.
I did this too recently. I was actually looking around for my copy of the original SSX today, but then remembered that I had sold it a while back. No biggie I guess, since 3 was always my favorite.

Less than a month to go!

balddemon

Banned
I am SO glad I've got a job lined up. Now I can buy this game day 1! wooo
SSX was the first ps2 game we ever got back in 2000. SSX is da shit

Wow, I hit up the SSX account on twitter about the demo and they replied to me. Here's the convo.

So, take that however you'd like. Seems odd that they would say "no demo announced yet" when I'm pretty sure somebody on the team said there would be a demo pre-release at some point...
Haha figures they'd have no idea what's going on with their own game.

These are nice videos to string us along but honestly I don't care too much about them. I'd rather have something of substance rather than a 30 second clip of one (admittedly sweet looking) trick.

soultron

Banned
These are nice videos to string us along but honestly I don't care too much about them. I'd rather have something of substance rather than a 30 second clip of one (admittedly sweet looking) trick.

Pt. 2 of that video series with Todd Batty is due out later this week, according to the twitter account EA has for SSX.

Also, check the website because it just got redesigned. It has, IIRC, 3 of the mountain range intro videos on it.

I'll post this here since some fans might be avoiding the SSX online pass thread

"In SSX, players without an Online Pass are able to compete and play in both of SSX's online game modes, Explore and Global Events with no restrictions," an EA representative explained. "In Global Events, the top finishers from each event are awarded with in-game credits. These in-game credits earned during play will not be awarded to the player if they do not have an Online Pass." If at any point you find yourself in dire need of that currency, redeeming your code or purchasing one from within the game will earn you access to any and all credits you've accrued online.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1217535p1.html

http://www.nowgamer.com/features/12...dernet_wagers_need_for_speed_dlc_ps_vita.html

Big interview talking about how EA studios work together, RiderNet, wager matches, dlc, PS Vita, etc.

30fps with motion blur.
60fps sim-thread.

Good to hear that control input is still capturing at 60fps. I don't really care about the display as long as the framerate is locked at 30fps. That's far more important to me than a wobbly 60fps.

Also good to hear that the Online Pass is pretty weak in this title. If you couldn't play online at all that would basically nuke most of the game since Explore is the main mode. Not that I really care about that either since obviously all new copies will have an online pass included.

soultron

Banned
Good to hear that control input is still capturing at 60fps. I don't really care about the display as long as the framerate is locked at 30fps. That's far more important to me than a wobbly 60fps.

Also good to hear that the Online Pass is pretty weak in this title. If you couldn't play online at all that would basically nuke most of the game since Explore is the main mode. Not that I really care about that either since obviously all new copies will have an online pass included.

Yeah, it's good to hear they were able to make this a reality. Batty spoke about the 30/60 in the summer and how he didn't want the game's feel to be compromised. He mentioned motion blur does a great job of making a game look great even if it's "only" at 30FPS on-screen.

How you implement motion blur is key. Crysis has incredible motion blur and even greater object motion blur, and really helps with those 30fps. Then again it's one incredibly heavy effect, so it's no wonder it's done well. I have absolutely no problem whatsoever playing that PC title at a locked 30fps. Then there's cases like Halo 3, with stuttering and a huge array of problems even with motion blur.

Sometimes it can add to the experience too (again, Crysis as an example imo). A subtle implementation goes a long way.

I'm fine with 30fps because it allows the devs to add more visual flavor. It's akin to a racing game too, 3rd person, you're mostly going forward and sideways, etc, and it's common nowadays for racers to be 30fps.

All in all, I'm happy.

M.W.

So, any videos yet of friends riding down the same hill together? The lack of actual MP footage is discouraging.

Endo Punk

The Kaori video just affirmed my suspicion. The characters are just mannequins. Way back in SSX3 they had personality, now they don't even seem themself! And wth no voice !?

I guess not day 1 now.

Top Bottom