• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PS5 has fully converted me into a Framerate purist.

Once again.. Consoles get 60fps games every year, it's nothing new. what's wrong with you people?

It's powerful enough for playing early games at 60fps, just like the last consoles were. When devs start making better looking games built around pushing graphics that's gonna change. The 360cpu had more than enough power to push 60fps.... when the games were willing to sacrifice quality in other areas.
Obviously, but given the OS level options for "performance" modes, I assume that it has become something that developers are aware of and know some people want to at least have the option.

I see 120fps being less common over a brief period of time, but I don't see why most games would not at the very least offer a very competent 60fps mode.

Lethal01

There wasn't shit at the beginning of last gen that ran at 60 fps, nor was there a push for it.

There's a marked difference this time around. Games actively pushing performance modes and the mass availability of 4K 120hz VRR OLED panels makes a huge difference, I think.

What are you talking about? Call of duty did, Battlefield did, Last of us remastered did, resogun did. I do think Companies aiming for 120fps may lead to more 60fps games but seriously don't get your hopes up.
Games are more likely to be 60fps when they are just slightly better versions of last gen games, this changes as the gen goes on and the big games start coming out.

I could be wrong but let's not ignore how this happens several times.

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

Once again.. Consoles get 60fps games every year, it's nothing new. what's wrong with you people?

Nothing? Maybe calm down with the insults 🤷‍♂️.

It's exciting that it seems developers are targeting it or giving it is an option on more titles, especially AAA titles. It should become the norm and not an exception.

JonkyDonk

What are you talking about? Call of duty did, Battlefield did, Last of us remastered did, resogun did. I do think Companies aiming for 120fps may lead to more 60fps games but seriously don't get your hopes up.
Games are more likely to be 60fps when they are just slightly better versions of last gen games, this changes as the gen goes on and the big games start coming out.
Last gen had a terrible CPU from the start. This time the CPU is much much better so with good use of resolution scaling, 60 fps will be very common this time.

Lethal01

Nothing? Maybe calm down with the insults 🤷‍♂️.

It's exciting that it seems developers are targeting it or giving it is an option on more titles, especially AAA titles. It should become the norm and not an exception.

The whole, "nice to see console finally getting 60fps" is just silly, Every console player is already playing some games in 60fps, playing 1 more is not going to change everything.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Ok... I just tried Spider Man MM at 60 FPS, and the difference is really really obvious and I will have to convince myself to put Fidelity mode back on to see the special effects. I think I’ll probably just stick to performance mode for now. Damn. It is just SO much more smooth!

junguler

Banned
for me the point of a locked 60 is that anything lower gives me headache because i have motion sickness issues, same thing with a narrow fov. i like to change/hack on these things and make them exactly how i want and consoles don't give me that option, so i play on pc.

JeloSWE

What a lot of people that advocate the 30 fps image quality experience don't seem to get is that moder Sample and Hold displays (OLED/LCD) with out applying BFI* will completely smear away any details gained when the camera moves in game. You can absolutely marvel at them as long as you are just standing still but most games are interactive and you move around. This is the biggest reason besides feeling better due to lowered response time and visual fluidity to offer 60 or 120 fps options.

I for one hope that all future console games will keep offering performance mode and I've always used them when available. Playing Demon's Souls in 60fps is glorious, I tried the 30 fps just for lols and it's incomprehensibly bad. I never want to play another 30 fps game again.

*I should add that I know of now display that does BFI at 30fps any way as it would flicker horribly.

Last edited:

renx

There is a world of difference between variable 30fps with slowdowns everywhere, and a perfect fixed 30fps game with evenly displayed 33ms frametimes.
Just saying. We are used to bad 30fps, and there is a better 30fps.
Not saying that 60fps isn't better. It is. But some guys around here should know what I'm saying.

Last edited:
There is a world of difference between variable 30fps with slowdowns everywhere, and a perfect fixed 30fps game with evenly displayed 33ms frametimes.
Just saying. We are used to bad 30fps, and there is a better 30fps.
Not saying that 60fps isn't better. It is. But some guys around here should know what I'm saying.
While this is true, it also highlights the problem of people mistakenly thinking that all variable frame rates are “equally bad”, and that anything stable is better than anything variable.

It’s analogous to saying that locked 1080p reso is better than dynamic 4K upscaling, all other factors being equal.

Last edited:

GamingArena

Well i just switched from 144hz monitor to new 240hz and after 5 days i went back to 144hz just to try it and it just felt like going back to 60hz, going to 30hz has to die forever.

Slashinghook

Neo Member
Oh, really? Should have take a look at Xbox though, so many 120FPS games, plenty of games even running only 60 FPS on PS5 compared to 120 FPS on XSX.
I compared them and it’s such a big difference. It’s really hard going back to 60 FPS after playing 120 FPS on my XSX.

SegaShack

I think it's crazy that last geneation we had systems struggling to hit 60fps at 1080p, and now people want 4k resolution and again we are facing the same issue of not being able to hit 60fps.

Old console gamers like me have been playing at 60-50fps until the PS3. Nnnnnaaah… I’m playing Demons Souls in fidelity mode.

You mean until the PS1/N64? That's when 60fps stopped being a thing in consoles.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Only? Lol consoles in general can't retain a solid frame rate as a rule, but it's not just that VRR allows uncapped frame rate while maintaining a smooth experience.
That's not a rule. Which consoles have rules that prevent games from being 60 FPS?

Too be honest I dont care about raytracing. And I dont care about native 4K. Give me fake 4K and 60fps and im good.

1080p 60fps? HELL NAH. Give me that 4K 30fps. Thank you.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I think it's crazy that last geneation we had systems struggling to hit 60fps at 1080p, and now people want 4k resolution and again we are facing the same issue of not being able to hit 60fps.

You mean until the PS1/N64? That's when 60fps stopped being a thing in consoles.
There were lots of 60 FPS games on Dreamcast. List wars!

NinjaBoiX

60 FPS won’t be common place. It should be but unless performance modes become standard I see everything falling to 30 FPS sooner than later.
I think it will, think about it:

- most releases will be cross gen for the first year or so, and an easy win is to slap a 60fps mode on there
- by that point it’ll have become expected
Have fun until the true next-gen games start coming! 30fps will be coming back.
But this is also very likely...

Hopefully we’ll have the big tent pole, single player cinematic games as 30fps with all the bells and whistles, then racers, shooters and sports games with an option for 60

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
???
But... There are tons of 60fps games on consoles, it's nothing new.

Not the majority of the games. There's also still people saying 30 fps is fine, even on this forum, and that's the people I refer to.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Absolutely! Just wanted to note that the 3d era was when we first started to see framerate take a drop (32x included).
I think we also started seeing frame rates drop because the way games were rendered changed. To call those early games 60 FPS isn't necessarily accurate.

Most of the consoles that came before PS1/N64 didn't render frames because they didn't have enough RAM or dedicated frame buffers to write a whole screen of graphics data to memory, much less be able to do it before the refresh cycle of the display started drawing the next pass. The video hardware calculated and drew sprites and background updates on the fly, or maybe buffering a few scanlines ahead, as scanlines were being rendered. Instead of frame rate drops we saw slowdown when it took longer to copy the data needed to drive changes to the screen than the time available before the screen started refreshing, so screen updates had to wait until the next pass and things chugged.

The move to 3D polygonal graphics (as early as the Super FX chip on the SNES even and definitely with the 32x) required more video memory so dedicated frame buffers were added so that the systems were capable of calculating and buffering full frames and serving them up in time for the refresh cycle to begin. That's when frame rates really became a thing for consoles. If the geometry was simplistic enough or the hardware was powerful enough it could deliver whole screens/frames of data to the buffer in time for the ray gun to draw them when the refresh cycle started, and thus we got 60 FPS. If not then it served up a frame in time for every other refresh pass or so, or served up half each frame by changing every other scanline, depending on what the game was trying to do, thus "cinematic" gameplay was born.

VN1X

Banned
Beware, if you are a PC gamer then this might be a redundant post to you, as this is more a Caveman discovers fire moment for myself.
Thanks for this disclaimer. As a Glorious Master Racer™ myself your thread title triggered me and almost left me Literally Shaking™.

Thanks again for being so considerate. I hope you and your family receive plenty of frames & quick response times.

Soodanim

Without having read the thread I know there will be plenty of people saying 120fps doesn’t make a difference and even the odd person saying 60fps doesn’t. But I didn’t skip a console generation for the first time in my life because of something that doesn’t make a difference. Everything is better all round. None of the cinematic crap matters, I’m playing a game. I’m not interested in unrealistically perfect raytraced reflections at 30fps, I want this moving video I’m playing to not move slowly.

When I consider some of the games that are only 30fps on console, like Nioh, I’m baffled. It must be horrible at that. It obviously must be playable, or it wouldn’t have sold. ButI guarantee that nearly every single person given the option would take 60fps for a game like that.

OutRun88

Without having read the thread I know there will be plenty of people saying 120fps doesn’t make a difference and even the odd person saying 60fps doesn’t. But I didn’t skip a console generation for the first time in my life because of something that doesn’t make a difference. Everything is better all round. None of the cinematic crap matters, I’m playing a game. I’m not interested in unrealistically perfect raytraced reflections at 30fps, I want this moving video I’m playing to not move slowly.

When I consider some of the games that are only 30fps on console, like Nioh, I’m baffled. It must be horrible at that. It obviously must be playable, or it wouldn’t have sold. ButI guarantee that nearly every single person given the option would take 60fps for a game like that.
Agreed. However, if you play exclusively at 30 FPS for a while you adjust to it. It’s just the stark difference when you go from one to another that makes 30 FPS feel unplayable.

Edit: typo

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
60fps common place on consoles?

Once devs start really pushing these machines and they cant even hit native 4k.

1440+p30 will be the norm.

If you actually want 60fps gaming all day err day, you gonna need yourself a gaming PC that you upgrade the GPU every few years.

cireza

For me, it was the NES, Master System and then MegaDrive that made me a 60fps purist.

They also made me a no loading screen purist.

30 years later we are finally going back to these essential features.

Last edited:

Calverz

Hey, I still love 30fps :lollipop_anguish: . It hides most of games animations imperfections, which adds to immersion. But having both choices on every game is a must now so one can choose from what suits him/her better.
Come on Bo. 30fps needs to die in a ditch. I know most sony studio games are 30fps but we can do better like gears and halo etc.

Beware, if you are a PC gamer then this might be a redundant post to you, as this is more a Caveman discovers fire moment for myself.

Now I've never been someone who's detested the 30fps experiences, I've actually loved the filmic like feel they gave when playing select titles and although I enjoyed having more frame rates it was not the be all or end all of my enjoyment with a title. This is also helped by my lifetime gaming mostly being spent on consoles and only using my PC to play the likes of Football Manager and making music.

However that has changed with my recent time spent with Miles Morales on the PS5. I started my playthrough with the fidelity mode and was loving my time with the title, it felt smooth and looked the part with its native resolution and amazing raytracing techniques.

I was an hour or so in when I thought to myself "let's try the performance mode and see what it's about", that was when I was introduced to an entirely new level of immersion in titles. The second I started to just look around me I could see the difference in fluidity, how the crowds bustled through the snow coated concrete sidewalks and how the traffic seemed that more life like as they moved with a newfound motion that can't be seen with 30fps gaming. Then I leapt from the building I was spending my time surveying the city from.

Every second spent in the air was glorious, how I'd swoop down low like a bird of prey to enrage the swarms of traffic that would answer to me by slamming their hands on their wheels to berate me with bibs.

Even the way I would contort in the air as I would gather my momentum only to freefall into the streets below would blow my mind away even after I did it for the hundredth time.

Now maybe I'm gushing too much about such a regular aspect of gaming for many PC users, but I feel this is the start of a golden age for console gaming. The ability to freely choose how you want your experience to be in such noticeable ways is welcomed for myself and has fully converted me into someone who will from now on always prioritize framerate over your bells and whistles you'd get with raytracing and native resolutions.

Tldr: 60fps gaming on consoles becoming commonplace is the lightbulb moment we've needed, even if it has come way too late compared to our PC using brothers and sisters.
Welcome, brother!

TrebleShot

I see a bit of a common trend here with a few outliers.

Many people mentioning they have snazzy 240hz/144hz MONITORS meaning you are sat what a foot away from your screen thats probably some where in the the 24"-32" range in terms of size. At this size and distance any change in detail or resolution is likely to be minimised and therefore something like 1440p/60/120 looks identical and detailed to a fidelity mode.

Some people are playing on 65"+ OLED screens where any drop in resolution is pretty obvious, its not night and day but its absolutely recognisable and often distracting when you have the two options.

For instance in demons souls the detail on the armour and environments including particle effects etc take a noticeable hit in performance mode. The problem is the frame rate does feel like a stutter/slow down in fidelity mode, luckily on OLEDs you have BFI and the like which really help, I usually play in fidelity mode and it takes about 1-2 mins to adjust.

Having said that I'd rather have games target 60 with the base line of fidelity based on that. Basically don't show us the fidelity 30 mode!

Trilobit

Animal Crossing: NH of all games made me yearn for 60fps. Playing it on my 22"ish monitor was very nice, but not having everything sharp while you roam around the island quickly became an eyesore.

Bonus video:

Senua

Gold Member
yea 30fps is for nonces, though I might be stuck at that framerate for cyberpunk with my old piece of junk PC

time to join resetera I guess...

Techies

In VR 30hz makes you vomit. 60hz makes a big portion of the users sick, very few can handle it, causes eyestrain after long exposure.

It's over 72hz when it becomes acceptable, 80hz feels like a good compromise.

90hz is considered to be optimal, however people who do 120hz to 144hz swear by it, it's the point where VR feels more lifelike and the point where if you play competitively you get an advantage. Higher hz also equals less input lag, blur becomes a non issue at this point.

Last edited:

Dibils2k

i am still sticking to ray tracing mode, its just a proper brand new visual feature for me, also i can see the 30fps mode looking crisper.

i shouldnt have played abit on 60fps mode though cause it does make it hard going back but i played previous SM at 30fps so its not hard to get used to after a few seconds

Top Bottom