• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, would you help me redesigning my gaming habits?

SGRU

Hi GAF.

I just got a Steam Deck OLED and I'm absolutely loving it. I found a confortable, powerful enough system with the cheapest offer of games in the market. And that got me thinking in going back to PC gaming... I always been a console gamer, but I really enjoyed playing in PC in my first twenty years of gaming. I stopped gaming in PC when hardware started to have stupid prices and, mostly, when I definitely switched to Mac (been with Mac for twenty years and I don't see myself using a Windows machine at home anytime soon).

So, I currently have these platforms:

• Switch
  • PlayStation 5
  • Series X (gone)
  • Deck
  • 10+ years PC
  • Mac

I just don't have time for all of them and I think is an absolute waste of money maintaining four platforms, so I'm getting ride of at least one of them.

I use Mac, so it doesn't makes sense to me to buy a PC just for gaming. On the other hand, I'm enjoying the Deck (and Steam) so much that I think I'm missing something and I would love playing the games in a big screen. How would the Deck handle 4K (with upscaling, obviously) for 5-10 years old games?

Xbox. A friend is giving me 280€ for the Series X. I'm 99% decided on selling it as I already have the Deck for all my indie needs and we all know all the exclusives will come sooner or later to PS5. I don't care about Game Pass.

Switch. Keeping it only for the kids so technically this is the other platform I'm getting rid of. I know I will pre-order the Switch 2 the moment it's announced, but...

PlayStation. Undoubtedly mi main platform. Exclusives, trophies and PSVR2 makes it a must for me.

With all of this in mind, I think I'm focusing in PS5 and Deck. What do you think? Is it really worth it expending two thousand in a PC if you already have a Deck and a PS5? Have any of you gone trough this feeling of having too many platforms?

Edit: Xbox is gone.

Last edited:

GHG

PS5 + some kind of PC will generally have you covered.

I actually think PC + Deck + PS5 is the ultimate combo. You only need to maintain a library on 2 platforms and it gives you access to 99% of games out there, and it includes a portable solution for both your PC games (natively) and PS5 games (via Chiaki). If you have to decide between the deck and a full on gaming PC then I'd say go for the deck only but that depends on your use case and what types of games you play.

If you can also throw in a Switch then you're golden but there is a lot of crossover between that and the deck, even the games (but we won't talk about that).

Last edited:

avin

With all of this in mind, I think I'm focusing in PS5 and Deck. What do you think? Is it really worth it expending two thousand in a PC if you already have a Deck and a PS5?

Unless you have fairly exotic needs, like serious flight or racing simulation and the associated controllers and monitors, I would say no.

avin

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Sell everything except your PS5
thN9HfQ.gif

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Keep all of them.

i would install chiaki4deck get that ps5 crisp image with hdr on the steamdeck so you can play AAA games from the big screen to couch anytime you want.
Keep ps5 as your main AAA platform since you like the ecosystem but indies and less demanding or older games buy it on steam or gog for the deck.
Invest in pc gaming when the time is right.

Last edited:
I'm mostly PC/Deck with some PS5 on the rare occasion there's a game that I actually want to play on it. I also have a Switch which is a Zelda/Mario machine.

I find that Steam Deck is a great way of working through my backlog as I can pick it up and put it down. The only time I'll play desktop is where it isn't supported by Deck.

Like you and most others, time is limited and having all these devices is really just a bit of a waste if you can't actually use them.

keefged4

PC-PS5-Deck is my current go to and what I'd reccomend. All basis covered. Xbox games are on PC. So are (cough) Switch (cough)

Series X can go, Switch and PS5 are maybes.

Mac is good for nothing in gaming unless it’s via the cloud, but you’ve a Steam Deck now that will do it better

Crayon

You know, I often tell people that enthusiasts don't keep multiple platforms so they can play every game, but so they can play any game.

The only thing it looks like I'd change in your position would be to nix the subscriptions on the xbox. Keep everything else. It'll all age out eventually.

diffusionx

Gold Member
PS5 is my primary vidya machine, PC is for the stuff that is optimal on PC like strategy games, Switch is for Nintendo stuff. I’m happy with this. I actually had a Deck but I found that I would rather just use my desktop at home and it was too big to take on say a plane. I also had a Mac I got rid of, although I still have an iPhone. I doubt I’ll get another one.

There’s absolutely no need to own a Xbox anymore. It’s something people talked about when MS moved to put everything on PC day one, and the years since have proven it.

Edit: I also have a Meta Quest 3. But that is a specialized device.

Last edited:

JimboJones

How would the Deck handle 4K (with upscaling, obviously) for 5-10 years old games??
I actually tried Deus Ex Human Revolution at 4k.
Actually not bad, 29 - 40 FPS range. Could probably get away with a 30fps cap
Knocking it down to 1440p was mostly 60, few minor dips.
Only tried it briefly and it's one game but there you go.

Top Bottom