• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft, I would just like to install and run games from my PC Game Pass library directly on Steam Deck, but I can't.

Bergoglio

I really believe most of us want native PC gamepass, not shitty Cloud gamepass. I wish MS and valve would just make a partnership to bring GP to steam in general. I want a fucking Steam Deck OLED with the hopes of turning it into a portable Game Pass machine with dual booting. Then the ROG Ally came along and runs everything on gamepass. This is so frustrating.

F3112006

Neo Member
Would love it too personally.

I’ve just decided I’m going to go full on with pc gaming and leave the Xbox but I also have about £70 in Xbox credit on the account, I’d somehow ideally like to be able to use it to play games on my pc/deck but im stuck.

I've been wanting this since I got the launch Steamdeck.
I suspect that Valve will introduce their own version of Gamepass before Microsoft gets a native anything.
Conspiracy, Valve is behind the curtain preventing Microsoft from doing anything on the Steamdeck. It takes 3rd party workarounds even with native Windows installed on the Steamdeck.

Kings Field

You can use Xbplay to remote play and also stream gamepass games. It works perfect for around the house or if you’re in a place with decent internet.

I’d like to be able to download gamepass games directly to the deck too but I’m not sure we will see that. I hope.

Hohenheim

This is one of the reasons why I prefer my Legion Go instead of the Deck.
On the Legion, Steam boots up when I start it, but I can easily go into the Game Pass app if I want. I cannot relate at all to the "handheld windows is so difficult" thing. It's piss easy.

It feels so limited to go back to the Steam Deck, and that's even before taking into acount that it's nowhere near as poweful as the Legion too.

Quasicat

You can use Xbplay to remote play and also stream gamepass games. It works perfect for around the house or if you’re in a place with decent internet.

I’d like to be able to download gamepass games directly to the deck too but I’m not sure we will see that. I hope.
I use this app all of the time on my Steam Deck. There is even a feature where you can put the Game Pass game link as a non Steam game title so that you click on it and it goes right to the specific title you want to play. It’s not natively running on the Deck, but I only ever play it at home and at work where the internet is decent (It’s worse at work with 50 down, 20 up).

Topher

Gold Member

I used it some for a bit after you told me about it, but I generally I just don't think cloud gaming is there yet so I bought a Rog Ally to go along with Steam Deck.

From my experience, you'll need a third party workaround like Handheld Companion.

YES Thats my point, Valve is ON PURPOSE keeping Windows off the Steamdeck.
It's not that big a deal, but it is a thing.
I've had a dual boot Windows on my Steamdeck since launch.

For me, Xbox cloud gaming has been a godsend, and it works with negligible latency while at home. Not only that, but battery consumption is much lower than regular installed Steam games.

I wouldn't mind if installation was an option, but I couldn't be happier with Xcloud's performance.

Topher

Gold Member

Valve is not outright preventing Steam Deck from running Windows either. I mean.....it is a PC so you can do what you want as always. Maybe I'm not getting what point you making here.

Valve is not outright preventing Steam Deck from running Windows either. I mean.....it is a PC so you can do what you want as always. Maybe I'm not getting what point you making here.
Valve is willing to put little speed bumps For other OS on their system. That my only point. It's a little point, more a little speed bump rather than a point.

Kings Field

I used it some for a bit after you told me about it, but I generally I just don't think cloud gaming is there yet so I bought a Rog Ally to go along with Steam Deck.

Yeah I agree. I mainly use it for remote play. It works great for that. The gamepass stuff works decent enough when I’m at work but it’s not ideal.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Isn't most stuff on the MS PC store UWP? Not sure if those games would run on Proton.
UWP is still just a wrapper, still includes binary with same code as if it would be stand alone. The idea was that you would have one container, including every supported binary format {like ARM64, AMD64, etc), package it and distribute one UWP to any MS platform which they had. Sadly Windows Phone, RT got shitcanned, so generally it contains only x86_64 on Windows

Nvzman

Dude, it's a driver thing. Windows doesn't have native drivers for the deck controller as it's not Xinput. The gamepad works fine when you launch steam ON Windows.

Dude, it's a driver thing. Windows doesn't have native drivers for the deck controller as it's not Xinput. The gamepad works fine when you launch steam ON Windows.
Yes, you are correct, Steam designed the Steamdeck without Xinput, the most widely used control solution everywhere without a Playstation name on it. sucks for Microsoft as they will have to do the legwork to get things working on the Steamdeck. Valve isn't helping, my point is they are throwing little speed bumps, Microsoft trips and Valve laughs.
It's not just Microsoft or the Steamdeck. Did you know that the PS5 controller doesn't work on some games in the Epic game store on Windows?
Steam did the work, no need for 3rd party workarounds for either Xbox or PS controllers on Windows or on Steamdeck.
I assume all these little things add up to no native Gamepass on Steamdeck. It's been almost 7 years and all Microsoft has come up with is play it on Cloud.

Ozriel

M$FT
I don't know how to do it and what happens with warranty

Installing software on your PC doesn’t usually void your warranty.

strange behavior from them after explicitly promising official dualboot support

Reallink

I really believe most of us want native PC gamepass, not shitty Cloud gamepass. I wish MS and valve would just make a partnership to bring GP to steam in general. I want a fucking Steam Deck OLED with the hopes of turning it into a portable Game Pass machine with dual booting. Then the ROG Ally came along and runs everything on gamepass. This is so frustrating.

You could have sold your Deck and bought an Ally for $200 - $300 out of pocket when it first came out. There's no reason to have a Steamdeck unless you're a retard that requires a console style OS/interface.

violence

I wish would they fix the weird hard drive permissions on the PC Game Pass app, so I can get my hard drive space back.

coffinbirth

Yes, you are correct, Steam designed the Steamdeck without Xinput, the most widely used control solution everywhere without a Playstation name on it. sucks for Microsoft as they will have to do the legwork to get things working on the Steamdeck. Valve isn't helping, my point is they are throwing little speed bumps, Microsoft trips and Valve laughs.
It's not just Microsoft or the Steamdeck. Did you know that the PS5 controller doesn't work on some games in the Epic game store on Windows?
Steam did the work, no need for 3rd party workarounds for either Xbox or PS controllers on Windows or on Steamdeck.
I assume all these little things add up to no native Gamepass on Steamdeck. It's been almost 7 years and all Microsoft has come up with is play it on Cloud.
Microsoft trips and falls right into making their own handheld?

The reason why GamePass games don't run natively on SteamDeck is the same as on a Mac...because Microsoft doesn't want them to. Or do you think Microsoft are incapable of making a launcher?

Hudo

Microsoft: You can if you buy Xbox Deck*!

*Name is still pending

Nvzman

I think Xinput is extremely restricted on terms of features that Valve couldnt use it even if they wanted to, like the paddles and track pads wouldn't be functional in Xinput.
And additionally PS uses Dinput, which means it's up to developers to support it or not, only Steam has Steam Input to allow it's entire library to be functional with it

Topher

Gold Member

Valve designed Steam Deck without Xinput because Xinput is only for Windows. That's not a speed bump created by Valve. Neither is Game Pass not being native on Steam Deck. That's entirely up to Microsoft as Linux is an open platform.

Last edited:
I’d be surprised if the Pc Gamepass team could get the app to an acceptable state on Linux. Even on Windows, the app can be finicky despite how barebones it is.

And if somebody’s already drafting your “works fine for me” reply in your head:

There was a bug for a long time that prevented the app from remembering which drive you prefer to install games to.

Sorting games by recent doesn’t only sort by recent, it also hides games that it deems not recent enough.

You still can’t pin your favorite games.

TLDR; don’t expect much from the software guys

Last edited:
Top Bottom