• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don’t understand the general dislike for Windows PC handhelds. They are leagues above the Deck.

Mythoclast

Every time a new thread is posted on handheld gaming, it mostly always comes down to “buy a Deck OLED”, “Windows is terrible on handheld”, “battery life is shit”.

I had a lot of time to decide which handheld was better for me, including the Deck OLED. I think a 512GB Deck OLED is $550, while a 512 Ally or Legion Go is $700.

Yes, the user experience is definitely friendlier on the Deck, with its custom OS. Also the community is stronger and bigger. But at least to me, and probably the majority of you PC gamers, it’s pretty much the same to use Windows or the SD OS. If you have at least SOME experience using Windows, which I’m sure most people buying these handhelds have, it really doesn’t take a big brain to keep it set up and updated.

Can’t say the same for folks trying to dual boot Windows to play GamePass or installing mods. That actually takes tinkering on the Deck.

For $150 more you get a much more powerful processor (giving me 20-30+ fps than the Deck at higher TDPs), bigger screen in case of the Legion, VRR in case of the Ally, and Windows. And yes, IMO Windows is much better than Linux on these handhelds (or any PC). I can just play GamePass, Destiny or COD without worrying about the anticheat BS.

With the Deck you get OLED, yes, but Id argue OLED truly matters when buying a big ass TV, not a 6in handheld. You get used to it pretty fast. OLED is obviously a great plus, but I’d rather have a better processor, a bigger screen, or the versatility of Windows.

I’m not trying to shill anything here, do what you want with your money. But after careful consideration I bought a Legion Go and I couldn't be happier. It’s sad when I see friends who got the Deck and can’t play games at decent fps or can’t play them at all.

What I mean is, if you know ANY Windows at all, don’t assume that the Deck will be your only or the best choice. Windows handhelds are good, and in my case BETTER than the Deck. Don’t just follow what a random forum guy or media outlets say.

GHG

Despite it being more necessary, all these windows handhelds don't have a trackpad but the Steam Deck does.

Let that sink in.

But also:

I’m not trying to shill anything here, do what you want with your money. But after careful consideration I bought a Legion Go and I couldn't be happier. It’s sad when I see friends who got the Deck and can’t play games at decent fps or can’t play them at all.

Will Smith Reaction GIF

And with that I'll take the following advice and stay away from windows handheld devices:

Don’t just follow what a random forum guy or media outlets say.

Last edited:

Mythoclast

Despite it being more necessary, all these windows handhelds don't have a trackpad but the Steam Deck does.

Let that sink in.

But also:

Will Smith Reaction GIF

And with that I'll take the following advice and stick to on windows handheld devices:
The Legion Go has a trackpad.

I think I made it very clear at the end that you should analyze your own situation, just don’t assume that the Deck is the best choice just because people say it is the “majority” choice.

StereoVsn

I have both (OG 512GB Deck and Ally). There are advantages and disadvantages in each.

Steam Deck is more ergonomic, has much better control options and SteamOS in general requires less f-ng around vs Ally (as long as you stick to Steam). And it has generally better battery life but not by much. OLED deck has a much better battery life of course.

If you need to play other launchers or MP games then of course Ally wins there. Extra 20% power is great, but these are handhelds for me (have other options when at home) and Ally just has terrible battery life once you up the wattage.

That said 1.5 hours is usually enough for me for a gaming session, just not for long distance flying or whatnot. When playing less power hungry stuff or most emulation I would go with the Deck.

kiphalfton

As has been made obvious time and time again, the more idiot proof accessible a game platform is, the bigger draw it will have.

Besides that, maybe people only want steam OS, and couldn't care less about windows OS. In which case your whole argument, that seems to be largely predicated on people actually wanting windows OS, is a moot point.

phant0m

SteamOS is such a clean and nice setup. I have no desire to fuck around with Windows on a handheld. Side benefit for me was learning a thing or 2 about Linux.
Yup. I barely like dicking around with Windows on my desktop, let alone a handheld.

I vastly prefer the Deck because of SteamOS. I really don’t give 2 shits if a Windows portable gets 15 fps more.

FPS is not the name of game with handhelds. Its ease of use and convenience.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
SteamOS is such a clean and nice setup. I have no desire to fuck around with Windows on a handheld. Side benefit for me was learning a thing or 2 about Linux.
This, I had tinkered a bit with linux when I was in IT school but it was so long ago I had forgoten so much.The deck brought me back to pc gaming...Maybe others would but for 350€ (1T micro sd included), it was the best value to me.But I have to admit that if you want to play everything that its specs support, you will have to either get back into linux or follow the numerous walkthrough.
I was hesitating to get a dualsense edge at the time but the backpaddle was problematic to me (even though HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 was right you do get used to it quite easily) and instead bought a deck and I have no regrets.
were the millers no ragrets GIF

phant0m

For $150 more you get a much more powerful processor (giving me 20-30+ fps than the Deck at higher TDPs), bigger screen in case of the Legion, VRR in case of the Ally, and Windows. And yes, IMO Windows is much better than Linux on these handhelds (or any PC). I can just play GamePass, Destiny or COD without worrying about the anticheat BS.

With the Deck you get OLED, yes, but Id argue OLED truly matters when buying a big ass TV, not a 6in handheld. You get used to it pretty fast. OLED is obviously a great plus, but I’d rather have a better processor, a bigger screen, or the versatility of Windows.
You say “buy a big ass TV if you want OLED”

I say “buy a fucking desktop if you want high FPS”.

Performance is always secondary to ease of use for portables dude.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Yup. I barely like dicking around with Windows on my desktop, let alone a handheld.

I vastly prefer the Deck because of SteamOS. I really don’t give 2 shits if a Windows portable gets 15 fps more.

FPS is not the name of game with handhelds. Its ease of use and convenience.

Agreed and I also don’t play the same games on handhelds that I do on my TV.

Assaulty

If you own a capable gaming pc there is 0 reason not to go with the deck and just stream triple a games you want to play. Is going to run, play and feel loads better streaming through Moonlight than playing it native on the windows pc with the added benefit of that gorgeous Oled stream

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
- Lack of competitive price
Steam owns the store and so they can subsidize the price of the hardware and no windows handheld manufacturer can ever hope to do that

- OLED
Subjective opinion on whether "it matters" on a screen that size but the fact of the matter is no windows device supports it right now

- Battery life
Windows devices keep pushing higher and higher hardware specs despite the fact that the battery is lasting less and less so enjoy your extra frames while the battery still has a charge

-OS
Windows is an awful portable device OS while Steam OS is a dedicated OS made for the portable experience meanwhile some of these manufacturers are releasing devices that don't even have an official driver release for the hardware while Steam just makes this software and driver updates on their own

- Repairability
The Steam Deck is so easily repair friendly not only through their Customer Support but through the iFix It website too meanwhile these other devices are not made with repairability in mind and heck some of them don't even have domestic support in the US forcing you to send your unit back to Korea/China for repair.

- User support
just because people say it is the “majority” choice.
Do you have ANY idea of how little Windows handhelds sell in comparison to the Steam Deck? Just go look at any of their IndieGoGo campaigns and you will see how abysmally small these sales are compare to the Steam Deck were looking at less than 10K compared to the Steam Deck's over a million sales.

A big user base translates to a huge amount of user support ranging anywhere from helping people how to run things on the platform, making mods, making custom content like boot sequences, heck outright brand new software has sprung because of the Steam Deck

So no people aren't just "saying" its the majority choice IT IS the majority choice.

Last edited:

Tams

Shhh, you're waking the cult of Valve/Steam!

As for Windows being 'unusable' on small displays: it's not great, but is perfectly usable, more than ever. I've done so since Windows XP Tablet Edition days. Bet all of those complaining never even knew that existed, let alone used it.

Last edited:

RhyDin

I was thinking about buying a Deck..is there a cheaper solution on par with the Deck's performance? Can you side load the Deck OS onto a third-party device or is that piracy -- not sure if it's freeware. Also, give me some models. I'm buying from the US, if it makes a difference.

Mythoclast

Shhh, you're waking the cult of Valve/Steam!

As for Windows bring 'unusable' in small displays: it's not great, but is perfectly usable, more than ever. I've done so since Windows XP Tablet Edition days. Bet all of those complaining never even knew that existed, let alone used it.
I’ve found Windows on my GO perfectly usable.

Thabass

You purchased a legion go and now your trying to justify your mistake… its ok we have all been there.

Sell the legion go and get a OLED steam deck, we will forgive you.
OP: I’m not trying to shill anything here, do what you want with your money. But after careful consideration I bought a Legion Go and I couldn't be happier
Either you ididn't read the OP, or you're painfully ignorant. They said they were happy that they bought the Go. Doesn't sound like they made a mistake to me.

Last edited:

Mythoclast

I was thinking about buying a Deck..is there a cheaper solution on par with the Deck's performance? Can you side load the Deck OS onto a third-party device or is that piracy -- not sure if it's freeware. Also, give me some models. I'm buying from the US, if it makes a difference.
I would really recommend checking out the ROG Ally (or even more the MSI Claw which is coming soon and looks like an Ally 1.5) or the Legion Go if you want a huge 8.8 screen and dont care about VRR. If you get any of them open box on Best theyll probably be same price or slightly higher than a new Deck.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Oh that's interesting I hadn't thought about that, I think it is akin to install steamOS on an handled but maybe there are differences I'll check.

Ozzie666

Steam deck and Steam OS and the ease of us. Whilst not a console, it's easier to get games going in a decent manner. For most people the Steam deck would be fine. But if your into power and fiddling around, then some of the other systems might make more sense. OLED is nice too. Goddam I miss my Vita.

The steam deck specs are several years old now, it's punching well above its weight and taking on these new more power fancy systems. That should tell you all you need to know about this little (not so little) system.

Hohenheim

You say “buy a big ass TV if you want OLED”

I say “buy a fucking desktop if you want high FPS”.

Performance is always secondary to ease of use for portables dude.
Disagree.
OLED is great and all, but i'd much rather take the better performance than Oled on a portable.
I have the Legion Go and I can't say I have any issues with it being Windows.
It's bascially power on, and within a few seconds im in a game, be it via Steam, Game Pass or whatever.
I don't even bother using the Lenovo gamehub hardware.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
So grantyed that the videos I watched are a few months old, you can instal steamOS but it is not the best solution there seems to be(dunno if still there) a lot of problems with wifi audio and you kinda lose the update on the Ally for example...Maybe try a dual boot, that's what I have on my deck, deckos for every compatible or not too hard to install games and windows for the other games....there's also some modified versions of windows that are more suited to the deck(like enabling the suspend/resume, shortcuts and some decky plugin).

twilo99

Every time a new thread is posted on handheld gaming, it mostly always comes down to “buy a Deck OLED”, “Windows is terrible on handheld”, “battery life is shit”.

I had a lot of time to decide which handheld was better for me, including the Deck OLED. I think a 512GB Deck OLED is $550, while a 512 Ally or Legion Go is $700.

Yes, the user experience is definitely friendlier on the Deck, with its custom OS. Also the community is stronger and bigger. But at least to me, and probably the majority of you PC gamers, it’s pretty much the same to use Windows or the SD OS. If you have at least SOME experience using Windows, which I’m sure most people buying these handhelds have, it really doesn’t take a big brain to keep it set up and updated.

Can’t say the same for folks trying to dual boot Windows to play GamePass or installing mods. That actually takes tinkering on the Deck.

What I mean is, if you know ANY Windows at all, don’t assume that the Deck will be your only or the best choice. Windows handhelds are good, and in my case BETTER than the Deck. Don’t just follow what a random forum guy or media outlets say.

Another blatant M$$$ shill over here

Mythoclast

setting up the steam deck to play 5min the first time you boot it. Rog Ally…more than an hour with all the update.
If I want windows on the go I will buy a laptop next time
Are you going to base the experience you will have with a handheld you are going to use for thousands of hours on the first hour?

OverHeat

« generous god »
Are you going to base the experience you will have with a handheld you are going to use for thousands of hours on the first hour?
For a console like experience yes. Because of the higher resolution the power advantage a native res was almost nothing no regret that I sold it and I’m an hardcore pc gamer on windows so….

Minsc

Gold Member
I don’t understand what people find so difficult about Windows? Is it vastly different on handheld?

Turns on handheld - game left suspended full screen from directly in the game (good luck with that too) to instantly resume is gone, system is restarted without permission (for mandatory monthly updates, cannot postpone indefinitely). You are staring at a login screen against your will.

That's definitely number 1 for me.

Last edited:

RhyDin

I would really recommend checking out the ROG Ally (or even more the MSI Claw which is coming soon and looks like an Ally 1.5) or the Legion Go if you want a huge 8.8 screen and dont care about VRR. If you get any of them open box on Best theyll probably be same price or slightly higher than a new Deck.
It's only $300 open box..can you run Windows on this? Will it play online games with anti-cheat? Steam cloud saves?

Minsc

Gold Member
Also nearly 50 posts and no mention of HDR.

There's simply no comparison with HDR games, doubly so those that run at 60fps or 90fps (like PS5 streaming + HDR).

Pretty much any game the Deck runs at 60fps or any game it runs at 40fps + HDR is a no-contest win for the Deck IMO (so like almost all indies and PS4/Switch/PC games). The visuals are just too good on the OLED w/ HDR.

RhyDin

Also nearly 50 posts and no mention of HDR.

There's simply no comparison with HDR games, doubly so those that run at 60fps or 90fps (like PS5 streaming + HDR).

Pretty much any game the Deck runs at 60fps or any game it runs at 40fps + HDR is a no-contest win for the Deck IMO (so like almost all indies and PS4/Switch/PC games). The visuals are just too good on the OLED w/ HDR.
Can you really tell the difference on that small of a screen? Interesting.

Top Bottom