• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PS5 has fully converted me into a Framerate purist.

Hunnybun

Performance and fidelity modes being baked into the UI is a promising sign we will get it all gen

My focus is still 100% on Demons Souls. I go back and forth, I can get used to 30 fps for the better visuals. But every time I got back to 60 for its like butter

I still can't really tell the difference between the native 4k and the reconstructed 1440p. I probably could if they were side by side, but that's not the relevant test. I'm sitting about 4.5ft from a 55" screen, btw.

Native 4k is NOT worth it. It's just not. It's a stupid use of resources.

Happily, though, it roughly equates to 1440p60, and that's an excellent use of the power.

I think we'll continue to get these performance modes and as long as we do I'm happy.

It's odd, because although I do agree, I also disagree.

Having a gaming PC the past 2 years have been incredible, and definitely enjoyed the frame rate speeds.

But having played on Consoles for 5 generations, I've learned to be able to be "okay" if I play a graphic hogging game on Ultra (probably Cyberpunk 2077), and it only running at 30 - 40 fps.

Reactions: Isa

nkarafo

How old are you OP? This has already happened for 3D games after the Dreamcast was released. Console users felt that "revelation" after years of 30fps games on PS1/N64. The whole 6th generation had tons of 60fps games. It was after the PS3/360 where 30fps became a standard again.

If you told me back then that in 2020 we would still not have 60fps as the minimum standard, i wouldn't believe you. Consoles having 30fps as the standard on 360/PS3 was the main reason i abandoned them and stuck to PC 100%.

Genesis games ran at 60fps.
Just about every console before the 3D capable ones had 60fps as the standard. Genesis, SNES, NES, Master System, etc. Even the Atari 2600 moves it's sprites at 60fps.

Last edited:

laynelane

Without having read the thread I know there will be plenty of people saying 120fps doesn’t make a difference and even the odd person saying 60fps doesn’t. But I didn’t skip a console generation for the first time in my life because of something that doesn’t make a difference. Everything is better all round. None of the cinematic crap matters, I’m playing a game. I’m not interested in unrealistically perfect raytraced reflections at 30fps, I want this moving video I’m playing to not move slowly.

When I consider some of the games that are only 30fps on console, like Nioh, I’m baffled. It must be horrible at that. It obviously must be playable, or it wouldn’t have sold. ButI guarantee that nearly every single person given the option would take 60fps for a game like that.

Nioh is 60 FPS on PS4 in performance mode. So, no, it's not horrible.

SkylineRKR

Yeah its the same on Series S which I had nearly 2 weeks prior to the PS5.

I exclusively played 60fps games (even Like a Dragon at 900p), until I tested TW3. On PS5 I exclusively play 60fps games, until I tried Crash Bandicoot and well, the shitty ass RT mode in DMCV.

30fps needs to go. Sacrifice resolution for all I care.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
Demon Souls is very noticeable and it is the default obviously as it should be. For Miles Morales I tried it and switched it back to fidelity as that is perfectly fine for me. Depends on the game I guess.

TrebleShot

Demon Souls is very noticeable and it is the default obviously as it should be. For Miles Morales I tried it and switched it back to fidelity as that is perfectly fine for me. Depends on the game I guess.
100% agree, but even fidelity mode in Des is pretty decent but far more choppy than MM fidelity mode.

Out of interest I tried a bit of MM in performance mode and I wasn't that impressed with the visuals, it looks aloyt like SM PS4.

Closer

Welcome to the club! Now we just need to convince people to stop caring about graphics, then we can all enjoy gaming again!

Vae_Victis

Banned
Did last gen start out with 60fps game like this gen and drop to 30fps?
Not as the general rule, but last gen no developer bothered to make performance and fidelity modes. It might have been possible then too for a lot of games, if resolution and asset quality were lowered.

On the flip side though, this might also mean that even when graphics start improving for real in PS5/XSX games, developers could keep offering a 60 fps option at the cost of some bells and whistles.

Last edited:

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
F-Zero 64 had 60 FPS with 30 cars on screen. Then somehow they wanted me to play Perfect Dark at 5 FPS. It was rough but I did it.

Went PC when the PS4 came out and regret nothing.

Blond

Banned
That's nice, I personally could never choose 60fps if it means I have to sacrifice raytracing and go back to distractingly bad reflections.
Both is better though, pc is great but.

Raytracing >>>>> FPS if I am forced to choose.

Honestly though I'd rather the option to Sacrifice resolution and play at 1080 60 with RT.

i have every game on PS5 that offers Ray tracing and I feel like this entire feature was created so they could have another “groundbreaking” feature. Nothing about it looks so different that it’s worth the sacrifices to performance.

I often kept replaying the same sections of Miles Morales and BlackOps going out my way to look for differences and couldn’t find any and Godfall wasn’t much different.

The best differences in raytracing I saw was the political rally and the villain hideout in Miles Morales.... until I turned it off and realized it just looked different in ways I couldn’t tell when I’m, i dunno, actually playing the game? Lol

Boy oh boy will reality hit some people hard when the consoles are down to 1440p @30fps or lower again the moment you want some "next gen" graphics.

Last edited:

Romulus

Not as the general rule, but last gen no developer bothered to make performance and fidelity modes. It might have been possible then too for a lot of games, if resolution and asset quality were lowered.

On the flip side though, this might also mean that even when graphics start improving for real in PS5/XSX games, developers could keep offering a 60 fps option at the cost of some bells and whistles.

I think the big difference is the CPU. Last gen, the jaguar in ps4 wasn't even comparable to even the lowest end gaming PCs. But the zen 2 is and might qualify as closer to 'mid tier' cpu. So, the startling line is much, much further ahead than it was to the point that it's not even close.

Vae_Victis

Banned
There's nothing filmic about 30FPS. It's a flip book mode.
I strongly disagree. It's a matter of habit, perception and preference. For clarity, I played both on console and on PC all my life, with games at 30, 60, everything in between and occasionally in actual slideshow mode (like some broken PS1 garbage running at 20 fps average).

The "filmic" thing is not random. The reason is that in most countries TV and cinema are usually operated at 25-30 fps, so if you grew up with that you automatically associate the "feel" of 25-30 fps with TV content and movies, and images at 60 fps give a completely different feeling, that you perceive as more "real" but because of that also as less "filmic".

If I watch a movie at 60 fps it just feels completely wrong to me, and the same is true for some games. When The Last of Us came out on PS4, first thing I did was turn the frame rate down from 60 to 30, because at 60 it felt more "tangible", and as a consequence less as a movie I might have been watching on my TV, which completely ruined the immersion for me.

Of course, if somebody is not as used to watching videos at 30 fps and has been gaming at 60 all their life, 30 will then feel "wrong" for them.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
60FPS is nice, but 144FPS with a 144hz monitor with G-Sync enabled is true next level shit that will be a religious experience for you if a mere 60FPS makes you this erect.

I’m not saying this from a “PC Master Race” high horse either, I genuinely think you’d enjoy the even higher level of performance that is equally transformative. It feels like you’re “unlocking” the real version of gaming you never knew existed, when you first experience it.

Last edited:
I strongly disagree. It's a matter of habit, perception and preference. For clarity, I played both on console and on PC all my life, with games at 30, 60, everything in between and occasionally in actual slideshow mode (like some broken PS1 garbage running at 20 fps average).

The "filmic" thing is not random. The reason is that in most countries TV and cinema are usually operated at 25-30 fps, so if you grew up with that you automatically associate the "feel" of 25-30 fps with TV content and movies, and images at 60 fps give a completely different feeling, that you perceive as more "real" but because of that also as less "filmic".

If I watch a movie at 60 fps it just feels completely wrong to me, and the same is true for some games. When The Last of Us came out on PS4, first thing I did was turn the frame rate down from 60 to 30, because at 60 it felt more "tangible", and as a consequence less as a movie I might have been watching on my TV, which completely ruined the immersion for me.

Of course, if somebody is not as used to watching videos at 30 fps and has been gaming at 60 all their life, 30 will then feel "wrong" for them.
In movies you don't control a character or move a camera so it doesn't matter. Games are different. 30FPS is just awful.

Vae_Victis

Banned
Boy oh boy will reality hit some people hard when the consoles are down to 1440p @30fps or lower again the moment you want some "next gen" graphics.
Last gen, when games stopped being cross-gen there was a massive boost in graphics on consoles, but no significant impact on frame rate or resolution. It's really only in the very last years that they legit stopped being able to keep up.

I don't think it will be much different this time around, with some possible fluctuation I think 1080-1440p @60 or 1440p-4K + Ray tracing @30 will remain the baseline for the foreseeable future. Definitely nothing so drastic as to have to suddenly halve the frame rate on everything across the board.

Vae_Victis

Banned
In movies you don't control a character or move a camera so it doesn't matter. Games are different. 30FPS is just awful.
Thank you for failing to understand anything of what I wrote and missing my point entirely. That PC Master Race knee-jerk defensiveness right there, Jesus.

Bigfroth

I've always preferred Framerate over Graphics and resolution. I remember playing Timesplitters on PS2 for the first time thinking wow this real smooth. Hopefully having the choice between Performance and fidelity will be the new norm.

Chastten

Banned
I recently got myself a new graphics card for my PC but I still can't really feel the difference between playing Genshin Impact on PC at 1080P60 and Final Fantasy X Remastered on Switch at, I've got no clue what it's running at? 720P30? Even playing shooters like Borderlands I really don't notice any difference?

I'm always kinda sad it seems to go over my head, but then I remember some can't play Mario Kart 8 because of a single missing frame and I'm feeling lucky again :p

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Well going by this thread, I can see Sony releasing their games more and more on PC....

PSYGN

My friend didn't care about framerates at first until he got sucked into Uncharted 4's multiplayer, he would pretty much play that for a year. Then he tried Uncharted 4's campaign and he immediately noticed the lack of fluidity and he hated it.

It's funny how we don't notice things until we are downgraded sometimes, for better or worse.

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I just pray to god it's not just FRAMERATE MODE and RESOLUTION MODE.
If that's all they offer then sure I will go 60fps every time but I hope they put in a mode that leaves the resolution as is and just increases the graphical quality.

100% agree

haha, 60fps is a one-way trip. you can't go back. actually, if VRR is available i can deal with 50fps. lower than 50 is going to be hard to adjust to.

saying that, i was playing R&C on ps5 today. the game is capped at 30fps. but insomniac is so good at motion blur, it felt smooth enough. the only problem i have is the control latency. Now, i can't wait for the new R&C with its 60fps glory.

Hunnybun

haha, 60fps is a one-way trip. you can't go back. actually, if VRR is available i can deal with 50fps. lower than 50 is going to be hard to adjust to.

saying that, i was playing R&C on ps5 today. the game is capped at 30fps. but insomniac is so good at motion blur, it felt smooth enough. the only problem i have is the control latency. Now, i can't wait for the new R&C with its 60fps glory.

Ain't that the truth. I tried MM in fidelity mode again yesterday, just out of interest. It was the first sub 60fps game I'd played for days.

I couldn't BELIEVE what I was seeing. It literally looked like a slideshow. If we stop getting the 60fps option I'm going to have a very painful period of adjustment lol.

SLESS

This is what is pushing me towards my PC for CP2077. I don’t have an RTGPU yet, but my Ryzen 5600x and GTX 1080 should provide a better experience for that game I think.

Senua

Gold Member
Thank you for failing to understand anything of what I wrote and missing my point entirely. That PC Master Race knee-jerk defensiveness right there, Jesus.
SIR! If anyones gonna play games with huge input lag and stutter it's gon be ME

30FPS POWER!

XiF5eKa.jpg

waquzy

So what you're saying is that the, largely 30fps, PS4 was shit and you were just lying to yourself for 7 years.

Got it.
Not really. But once you go 60fps, you never wanna return to 30fps, if that makes sense. I mean you could, but it just ain’t the same...

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
So what you're saying is that the, largely 30fps, PS4 was shit and you were just lying to yourself for 7 years.

Got it.
Yes. 30fps is shit once you have tried 60fps. That's why I went to PC and left my ps4 for the exclusive titles.

Hunnybun

Not really. But once you go 60fps, you never wanna return to 30fps, if that makes sense. I mean you could, but it just ain’t the same...

I remember I had this problem once before.

I must have been about 17 or so, and I bought a new graphics card (first for me) so I could play the original Half-Life properly on the family PC. I didn't know shit about graphics options or frame rates or anything, but whatever the performance was I was getting, going back to Goldeneye on the N64 was fucking horrific.

I bored my friends to tears for days afterwards, just moaning constantly about how jerky and unplayable it was.

But I guess gradually you just get used to it again.

daninthemix

Yes. 30fps is shit once you have tried 60fps. That's why I went to PC and left my ps4 for the exclusive titles.
That's a lightweight solution. To be a true purist you need to turn your nose up even at the exclusive titles. After all, what do they offer that people like Ubi and Rockstar don't?

DonJorginho

Banned

Got it.
Not at all.

Just saying how I never fully realised till recently just how much more special a game feels when paired up with a 60fps framerate. I never had a PS4 Pro, had the base then the Slim so never experienced some of the boosted titles like others did so my exposure to this aspect of console gaming was limited. No game is shit if it's 30fps and I will still play it and enjoy it just like I will love titles like FF7 Remake, TLOU 2 and many other titles which are locked at 30fps, I will just miss out on that fluidity which 60fps brings.

Chittagong

Gold Member
It's really shocking and noticeable in Demon's Souls.

Yeah this surprised me, I was 100% sure I would play in high fidelity mode given I had no issues completing Dark Souls on Switch, but given the option to compare, the smoothness of 60FPS especially when moving the camera around was so strikingly superior that there was really no question.

If games will continue to offer both modes, that’d be optimal.

Top Bottom