• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"The End Of PS5" [dunkey]

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll

As I was contemplating whether to get myself a PS5, I realized that as an owner of a PS4 Pro and a PC, I couldn't quite find a meaningful reason. Then this video came across my feed. What do you think about this?

We're really facing a disastrous generation. Even if some great games will come out in the last 1-2 years of its life cycle, I might prefer to wait for the PS6 to enjoy them(or play them on pc?). It's already known that they're making games for PC as well. I wonder, is it not just the PS5, but are consoles dying? Will Nintendo be the last representative of consoles?

Topher

Gold Member
videogamedunkey is funny

Season 9 Lol GIF by The Office

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
We're really facing a disastrous generation. Even if some great games will come out in the last 1-2 years of its life cycle, I might prefer to wait for the PS6 to enjoy them(or play them on pc?).
Some?

This is what they have slated from 2024 onwards:

1) Helldivers
2) Astrobot 2
3) Concord
4) marathon
5) death stranding 2
6) ghost of tsushima 2
7) Wolverine
8) Venom
7) ND's new IP
8) SSM's new IP
9) Horizon 3
10) Bend's New IP
11) Bluepoint's New IP
12) GT8
13) Media Molecule's new IP
14) HouseMarquee's new IP
15) Rise of Ronin which they are publishing though not sure if they own the rights to the IP like they do for Helldivers

They are going to end the last 4 years of this gen very strong. Just as strong as they did the PS4 gen.

I agree with Dunkey on the remakes that are basically copy pasta when it comes to level design and gameplay, and their moronic focus on cross gen games which resulted in a bunch of samey games from studios that should NEVER be making $200 million samey games. But the upcoming slate is mostly new IPs and next gen only titles.

This doom and gloom is hilarious to me because its not like sony first party had a truly great first 3 years. I think uncharted 4, bloodborne and the last guardian were the only truly great games while others were flawed like KZSF and The Order or mediocre like Infamous Second Son, Ratchet remake and Until Dawn.

Catphish

I already owned a PS4 Pro and a new gaming PC when the PS5 dropped. I held off buying a PS5 until there was a compelling reason to do so.

That reason never came. I've since given my PS4 Pro to my dad.

I may never buy another console. Everything I need is on PC.

Last edited:

Del_X

Some?

1) Helldivers - a game
2) Astrobot 2 - neat
3) Concord - what
4) marathon - look what they've done to my boy
5) death stranding 2 - a pretentious walking sim sequel
6) ghost of tsushima 2 - might be a good
7) Wolverine - cinematic experience
8) Venom - cinematic experience
7) ND's new IP - peak cinema
8) SSM's new IP - cinematic experience
9) Horizon 3 - adventures of Mrs. Grunts-a-lot
10) Bend's New IP - might be alright
11) Bluepoint's New IP - big if true and not another remake
12) GT8 - fine if you're into this sort of thing
13) Media Molecule's new IP - will it save the studio?
14) HouseMarquee's new IP - an actual game
15) Rise of Ronin which they are publishing though not sure if they own the rights to the IP like they do for Helldivers

Cinematic games sure cost a helluva lot of money. Was this all part of Phil's master plan? Perform just half-assed enough to force Sony to spend themselves out of business?

Some?

1) Helldivers
2) Astrobot 2
3) Concord
4) marathon
5) death stranding 2
6) ghost of tsushima 2
7) Wolverine
8) Venom
7) ND's new IP
8) SSM's new IP
9) Horizon 3
10) Bend's New IP
11) Bluepoint's New IP
12) GT8
13) Media Molecule's new IP
14) HouseMarquee's new IP

They are going to end the last 4 years of this gen very strong. Just as strong as they did the PS4 gen.

I agree with Dunkey on the remakes that are basically copy pasta when it comes to level design and gameplay, and their moronic focus on cross gen games which resulted in a bunch of samey games from studios that should NEVER be making $200 million samey games. But the upcoming slate is mostly new IPs and next gen only titles.

This doom and gloom is hilarious to me because its not like sony first party had a truly great first 3 years. I think uncharted 4, bloodborne and the last guardian were the only truly great games while others were flawed like KZSF and The Order or mediocre like Infamous Second Son, Ratchet remake and Until Dawn.
Literally half your list is comprised of titles that have not been announced and that (if announced sometime this year), would not be slated for release until late 2025 at the earliest. That in itself speaks volumes about how sparse the present and future looks in terms of first party output.

Not Funny Sarcastic Face GIF by The Righteous Gemstones

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
This doom and gloom is hilarious to me because its not like sony first party had a truly great first 3 years.
You're right, I had sensed this situation with the PS4, but it has become much more dramatic with the PS5. Consoles have lost their old power, and they continue to lose it. Due to Sony's new strategy, many of the games you mentioned will also come to PC, or they will be released close to the PS6 and will be cross-gen. It's not certain that they will be very good either.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Literally half your list is comprised of titles that have not been announced and that (if announced sometime this year), would not be slated for release until late 2025 at the earliest. That in itself speaks volumes about how sparse the present and future looks in terms of first party output.

Not Funny Sarcastic Face GIF by The Righteous Gemstones
yes, the list is for 2024 onwards. 2024-2027. not just 2024. I thought this line gave that away?

This doom and gloom about the PS5 is retarded.

Nvzman

Dunkey USED to make some funny videos but ever since like 2020 his videos have dropped off a cliff in humor. Especially his unironic review/media pieces like these, he has some of the worst opinions on certain topics that I've ever seen.

I can't imagine dunking on the PS5 now when the PS4 had a significantly worse first party library than the PS5 has now.
What did the PS4 have by 2018? Bloodborne, Spider-Man, and God of War were like the only genuine standouts (Horizon/Second Son/Shadow Fall/The Order were all snoozefests and Uncharted 4 was okay).
Meanwhile, the PS5 gen has had far more games that have actually pulled me in, Demons Souls, Gran Turismo 7, Spider-Man 2 + MM, Ragnarok, FFXIV, Sackboy, Rift Apart, Astrobot, and I'm looking forward to that Stellar Blade game. People say "NUH UH CROSS GEN DOESNT COUNT" which is fucking stupid considering some of them like GT7 were clearly built for PS5 first.
PS4's library felt EXTREMELY safe, like every first party game was either esports or a single player third person adventure game. PS5's library actually feels slightly more ambitious so far.

DarthPutin

Gamers complain that developers get laid off and that game development is unsustainable. One way to occupy the devs with something profitable in between the big games - and to make extra bucks - is to make remakes/remasters, which takes little resources and has good ROI.

Gamers who don't have to buy them - "on no, how dare, I'm sure it was a choice between new IP AAA title and remaster, and lazy game devs chose to release remaster!"

Gamers who don't like Sony games are pissed because Sony isn't catering to them and instead makes games for 10-15 million people who buy them.

SkylineRKR

This gen is certainly an odd one. They are speaking about the final stage and yet the console is actually widely available for a very short time. Even cross gen isn't even fully dropped yet. I doubt it will be before the PS5 will be phased out. Which might be a first since the PS4 is over 10 years old and still gets a ton of software out. Plus, there never has been a price drop on the PS5 yet.

Why bother with a PS6. Won't game development slow down even further? Even higher costs which means even safer choices? Why would I think of buying a PS6 at this point. To play a remaster of Horizon 2 and Ragnarok? I mean, at some point they might be able to drop the price of the console, which might see some permanent growth still. I'd say stick with the PS5.

If the next gen is going to be worse than this one I likely won't upgrade soon. If the Pro wasn't such a shitty ass noisy piece of trash with long load times it would largely still suffice to this day. PS5 won't have these problems.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
PS5 sucks, I only have it for FF7 rebirth. I also got it for GoW Ragnarok, but that was also pretty bad compared to GoW 2018.
It sucks because you don’t like it, but you got it for games you do like or were interested in? Seems like your opinions make the whole thing suck. Anyone wanna buy a ps5? Boneless thinks it sucks, therefore it does.

Ffs, this is going to be one of this threads, isn’t it? Thanks OP 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
Top Bottom