• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Players Spend Much More Time Playing Single Player Games Than Multiplayer Ones, Leaked Documents Suggest

ReBurn

Gold Member
How does this comport with the thread on the front page about Fortnite being played more than all other big games combined?
The charts in the OP pretty much only show stats through January 2023. But gaming discussion tends to occur without consideration that things can change over time.

Dorago

Sony “I will invest hundreds of millions into GAAS which our metrics show only 15% of our player base plays. Certainly having TLOU/GoW/Sackboy the GAAS will make them change their habits.”

simpatico

Sony “I will invest hundreds of millions into GAAS which our metrics show only 15% of our player base plays. Certainly having TLOU/GoW/Sackboy the GAAS will make them change their habits.”
But muh purple burlap with +3.6% jump height

Calverz

Not surprising. For a long time Sony have relied on third party titles to bring the multiplayer heat. It’s just unfortuante for Sony that its live service multiplayer games that can potentially bring the big bucks.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Here is what this moron did despite having these figures on hand. Took gaas investment from a mere 12% to 60 fucking percent. Reduced the single player budget to make it happen only bringing it back up to 2019 levels in 2025. Is it really surprising they have no first party games this year? And only one last year? With the cost of game development going up exponentially, the single player studios investment needed to be doubled from 2019 to 2025 and its remained the same while 60% of the budget is going into games only played by 25% of the gamers. Absolutely retarded.

Jim will go down as the worst fucking PS CEO. Absolutely delusional, greedy and responsible for gutting arguably the greatest first party studios ever assembled.

i-worry-people-are-misunderstanding-sonys-plan-for-future-v0-i921qt30aacb1.jpg

Three

• It's play time and not player base.
  • It's much greater than 15% of playtime (it's closer to 30+%). Remember both f2p and "PS+ Gated" are GaaS type games.
  • It says nothing about revenue split.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Here is what this moron did despite having these figures on hand. Took gaas investment from a mere 12% to 60 fucking percent. Reduced the single player budget to make it happen only bringing it back up to 2019 levels in 2025. Is it really surprising they have no first party games this year? And only one last year? With the cost of game development going up exponentially, the single player studios investment needed to be doubled from 2019 to 2025 and its remained the same while 60% of the budget is going into games only played by 25% of the gamers. Absolutely retarded.

Jim will go down as the worst fucking PS CEO. Absolutely delusional, greedy and responsible for gutting arguably the greatest first party studios ever assembled.

GAAS revenue has eclipsed SP game revenue for PlayStation and the GAAS market is still growing while the SP games market is not.

Probably because people spend more money on online multiplayer games.
Is there really that meany idiots who spend money on epeen gear. Just to do the same damn brainless pew pew at each other every night? (I like shooters too, but mostly older battlefield, quake, early cod, before Mt, when gear was unlocked in game for no extra charge, you may of spent money on a map pack, that was it)...

I don't mind buying dlc (expansion and level packs) for single player games, but those armors and weapons etc... Better be in the game and not cut for a premium charge.

I remember when Jim said that their big AAA blockbuster games will continue to carry their platform, and Twitter was in full rage mode.
Wait what? There was actually people upset with that? Who? Are there really that many genz(the fortnite Gen) gaas fans on X? I thought they inhabit reddit and TikTok? I would of thought people would cheer on more AAA single player games. Or did he just mean the existing ones already out. If the later than yeah let the outrage commence.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
Wait what? There was actually people upset with that? Who? Are there really that many genz(the fortnite Gen) gaas fans on X? I thought they inhabit reddit and TikTok? I would of thought people would cheer on more AAA single player games. Or did he just mean the existing ones already out. If the later than yeah let the outrage commence.
Nah, just rabid warriors (mostly Nintendo fans, funnily enough) who hate those kind of games and took that statement as Sony saying that it's all they will make, completely ignoring that they have been carrying the whole platform for almost two decades at this point, and it doesn't necessarily mean that other type of games will not exist.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Is there really that meany idiots who spend money on epeen gear. Just to do the same damn brainless pew pew at each other every night? (I like shooters too, but mostly older battlefield, quake, early cod, before Mt, when gear was unlocked in game for no extra charge, you may of spent money on a map pack, that was it)...

I don't mind buying dlc (expansion and level packs) for single player games, but those armors and weapons etc... Better be in the game and not cut for a premium charge.
Sarcasm aside, is this a rhetorical question? It must be a rhetorical question. Of course people are buying the digital baubles.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

This, so much. I can't believe they had one first party game last year and we have nothing on what's coming this year from first party.

Jim was on crack with access to these numbers and they've stripped budgets back? Wtf.

More succesful than ever but shifted resources away from sonys bread and butter.

I hope they've got some cards up their sleeve for this year and we hear about them soon.

I buy way less games than before for 2 reasons: I am not interested into GAAS and there are less and less interesting SP games to my tastes.
This., compared to Gen 7, it's slim pickings.. I just got a series x for Xmas, it complements my ps5, switch and pc. Guess what I got around 25 some games most at around 2.99, all but 5 were from the og Xbox and 360 era. You know what I noticed. Variety.

Sequels released that play different have different music maps and identity. Individual games. Skate 1 is different than skate 2 is different than skate 3. Games like fallout 3, new Vegas, morrowind, oblivion, skyrim, new Vegas, max payne 1-3, sacred 2, mirrors edge, prince of Persia, ac1, 7 splinter cell games, silent hill HD cold, homecoming, downpour, mortal kombat 9, graw 1 and 2, rainbow6 Vegas one and 2,Black, trials HD, geometry wars, pyschonauts, dragon age origins, dragon age 2, gears 1-4,halo mcc, resident evil 1-6, ninja gaiden black/2, red dead, LA noire, ssx, dark void, vanquish, Bayonetta, lost planet, dragons dogma, dead space 1-3, fear 1-3, battlefield bad company 1 and 2, saints row 1-4, gta 4 and 5, bioshock 1 - 3, .fable 1-3, banjo, perfect dark, lost odyssey ...

That's just what I got all from the 7th Gen from sales and gamepass discount. That's a ton of games. Many I already own on ps3 but since that is busted and these were $3 a pop, yeah it's great. Who needs gaas. It will take me years to finish this list along with my pc and ps4/5 and switch games.

It's a stark contrast to what we have now. A handful of titles. On 9th Gen its just starfield and baldurs gate 3, elden ring, hogwarts, dead space remake, demon souls remake, gow rag, horizon fw, Spiderman 2, returnal and that's about it for huge games..... Good games but not many, and lacking originality and taking chances. Sad times.

Gass doesn't appeal to me. They loose a loyal customer who ever forgets single player games. It's really ridiculous as people my age (40s) have disposable income, more so than someone who is a teen, yet here we are.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

I've been saying this for years but some people want to keep giving Jim Ryan a pass. Dude was a POS CEO. He was given the keys to an Allstar team for 5 years and only won 1 championship. Glad he "retired" when he did. Things could have been alot worse had he stayed for 5 more years.

mckmas8808

The top 3 games of 2023 in each country weren't single player games, they were games with micro transactions and huge online components. Not one cinematic Sony single player masterpiece topped the most popular list anywhere last year. So yes, I'm confident that online multiplayer games making more money is why Jim Ryan wanted to invest more money there than in single player over the next few years.

I'm talking about for Sony. Not the whole industry. I couldn't care less what the whole industry is doing.

Luckily Nintendo didn't turn to a stupid CEO to try to model Nintendo after the rest of the industry like a moron.

mckmas8808

Singleplayer game - Hour 1: 69.99 spent by consumer on initial purchase. Hour 10: 0.00 spent by consumer. Hour 30: 0.00 spent by consumer. Hour 50: 0.00 spent by consumer. Hour 70: 14.99 spent on bite-sized DLC content Hour 90: 0.00 spent by consumer Hour 110: 0.00 spent by consumer, Game 100% completion.

Multiplayer game - Hour 1: ~0.00 up to 69.99 spent by consumer on initial purchase. Hour 10: 14.99 spent on starter pack. Hour 30: 9.99 spent on consumable Hour 50: 19.99 spent to access locked content Hour 70: 14.99 spent on more consumables Hour 90: 19.99 spent on special guest franchise character/skin Hour 110: 14.99 spent on new 5-star character added to the game with best stats. Hour 130: 9.99 spent on skin for new character.

Now show me how many games Sony or anybody has that people are playing for over 110 hours that's a GAAS game. I know they exist, but how many are there really?

And how many can Sony make to equal that? 1 maybe 2 at best..... Yet 60% of their budget now is going toward chasing that hard to catch ghost. It's ridiculous!

Now show me how many games Sony or anybody has that people are playing for over 110 hours that's a GAAS game. I know they exist, but how many are there really?

And how many can Sony make to equal that? 1 maybe 2 at best..... Yet 60% of their budget now is going toward chasing that hard to catch ghost. It's ridiculous!
Funny thing is, I agree with your take here and before. I'm not here to defend gaas.

I am simply answering the question of 'why would Jim Ryan want this?' because I guarantee you that someone numbers guy presented that information very closely to how I did in that post you've quoted, using a projector, slides, and documents.

And on paper, it makes sense 🤷‍♂️

mckmas8808

Funny thing is, I agree with your take here and before. I'm not here to defend gaas.

I am simply answering the question of 'why would Jim Ryan want this?' because I guarantee you that someone numbers guy presented that information very closely to how I did in that post you've quoted, using a projector, slides, and documents.

And on paper, it makes sense 🤷‍♂️

Yeah. That probably did happen in that way too. Glad he's leaving.

Top Bottom