• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Personal Top Five Thread

Tg89

Diablo 2:Lord of Destructuon
Counter Strike (1.5/6 if we’re being specific)
Metroid Prime
World of Warcraft (Vanilla)
Donkey Kong Country 2

HM:
TotK
Bloodborne
Dark Souls
StarCraft:BW
Banjo Kazooie

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Not going to try and rank them, but these are the five:

StarCraft
TLOU
TLOU P2
Half-Life 2
Skyrim or Oblivion (can't pick one)

Honorable Mention

MGS 4
God of War (2018)
Fable 2
Mass Effect Legendary Edition
Diablo 2

Last edited:

pasterpl

hard to name only 5, will name my top 10 in no particular order;

Starfield
TOKT
Skyrim
PGR4
Mass Effect
Jade Empire
Age of Empires
Deus Ex
Half Life 2
Wipeout

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
World of Warcraft
Rocket League
Fortnite
PUBG
MLB The Show

Stronghold Crusader
I need to get that, have like 100 hours in Stronghold 3

YcCSssx.png

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Top 5 games Zelda Majoras mask, I want a sequel, call of duty 4, started it all, mass effect 2, incredible game, metal gear solid 4, star fox 64.

nowhat

5. Tekken 3
Word. We got a PS1 as kids somewhat late - it came with two Dualshocks, and two games: Crash 3 and Tekken 3. For the longest time us siblings didn't pester our parents for a new game. Either me and my brother would try to top our own scores in Crash 3 (or cheering/tutoring our little sister with the game), or beat each other senseless in Tekken 3. Good times.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
World of Warcraft
Rocket League
Fortnite
PUBG
MLB The Show

I need to get that, have like 100 hours in Stronghold 3

YcCSssx.png
How are the later sequels?

Back in the day I tried Stronghold 2 but it was so uninspired and needlessly complicated, especially compared to Stronghold Crusader. I remember people getting sick because rat poo in the sequel 😛

How is 3?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
How are the later sequels?

Back in the day I tried Stronghold 2 but it was so uninspired and needlessly complicated, especially compared to Stronghold Crusader. I remember people getting sick because rat poo in the sequel 😛

How is 3?
Its not really much of an upgrade over 2 and can be quite buggy and still get a crash now and then

I keep getting sucked back in replaying some of the missions from time to time though (obviously) but can't recommend someone buying it honestly

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Its not really much of an upgrade over 2 and can be quite buggy and still get a crash now and then

I keep getting sucked back in replaying some of the missions from time to time though (obviously) but can't recommend someone buying it honestly
I don't know if you didn't play or disliked the Crusader one, but man that was so ... perfect! I'd recommend that to anyone in a heartbeat.

Pimpollo818

Doom Eternal
Thumper
Bloodborne
Hollow Knight
Deus Ex (GMDX)

answers could obviously change if you ask me next week, but these are locks for my top 10

Last edited:

Little Mac

Gold Member
Season 2 Nbc GIF by New Amsterdam

Metroid Prime
Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Final Fantasy 6
Mike Tyson's Punch Out

Honorable Mentions:
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Chrono Trigger
Mass Effect
Bioshock
Final Fantasy 7
Killer Instinct
Hollow Knight

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Sweet topic.

My top 5. Hmm...

05. Silent Hill 3
Love this game. I acknowledge SH2 as the better made game, and carrying all the hallmarks that give it such a beloved following, but...SH3 was just the distilled experience of everything I love about Silent Hill. Revisited, changed areas. Blood and rust. Disembodied pained moans coming from a dark hallway. Trip hop and industrial soundtrack. BEAUTIFUL PS2 game. Story that dealt with sexuality and teenage pregnancy, and loss of loved ones and the loss of childlike innocence in the wake of Awakening to your true purpose. Revenge, and the futility of it, all in a ten hour game with no contemporary 2020 flavored on the nose bludgeoning of themes.

04. Metal Gear Solid 4
Yeah, yeah, it's a movie. It was also GAF's goty 2008 iirc, so you bitches all have taste as bad as I do. The feeling of next gen that oozed off this game on release day, coincidentally the last day of school for me that year - was immense. The wrap up of like 20+ years of story with all of the references and Easter eggs and unlockables and ranks. Don't get me started on how stupid fun MGO2 was, either. It was fanservice the game, and I felt that in a rare example, it was totally earned.

03. Resident Evil 4 (OG)
I love RE4R. But this game was more of an advancement when it came out in 2005 then the remake was in current day, in my humblest of opinions. The frenetic action, the stop and pop style of gunplay, the melee moves, the reload animation, the stupid ass dialogue. Such a good, good, game.

02. Final Fantasy VII
It's a day by day thing whether FFVI Edges above FFVII or not for me. But I fucking love this game. It introduced me to RPGs, and was also the second game I ever played. I struggled until I got to the Kalm flashback, and from there I was just hooked. The esoteric story, the secret cutscenes and party members, all of the sidequests, the plot twists, the music. It made me into a lifelong fan of the series and the genre.

01. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time
This was my first videogame, and it has made RIPPLES in my life all the way up to today. People sound like shut in weebs when they say shit like "this piece of media changed my life," but in this case, it did. It tied my interests in fantasy, anime, music, reading, and storytelling all into one. This game literally helped me learn to read. It created common ground for me to make a ton of friends, some of whom I still have good relationships today. And perhaps most important to the topic, this silly little Grey cartridge that I'd blow into like a fucking harmonica at ten years old got me invested in my favorite hobby to the point that I'm sitting here at 32 years of age hunched over my phone like Quasi-fucking-modo chatting with you fine people. Fucking exquisite.

AndrewRyan

1. Nex Machina
  2. Dishonored/ Dishonored 2
  3. Starcraft 2
  4. Ratchet & Clank: Crack in Time/ Rift Apart
  5. Fallout 3

Metal Gear Solid 4
God of War
Mass Effect 2
Deus Ex: Human Revolution/ Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Rage/Rage 2
Spiderman Remastered
Returnal
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
Dead Space 2
Prey
Audica
Super Stardust HD
Doom Eternal/ Doom 2016
Bayonetta/2/3
Bioshock
Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Warhawk
Super Mario 3D Land
Fight Night Round 3/4
Bayonetta/Bayonetta 2
Street Fighter 2
Batman: Arkham Asylum/ Batman: Arkham City
Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Super Mario 3D Land/ Super Mario 3D World
Darksiders 3
Metal Gear: Rising
The Ascent
Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions Evolved
Geometry Wars Retro Evolved
In Death
Half Life: Alyx
Tetris Effect: Connected
Fury Unleashed
Until You Fall
The Thrill of the Fight
Pistol Whip

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
  1. Nex Machina
  2. Dishonored/ Dishonored 2
  3. Starcraft 2
  4. Ratchet & Clank: Crack in Time/ Rift Apart
  5. Fallout 3

Metal Gear Solid 4
God of War
Mass Effect 2
Deus Ex: Human Revolution/ Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Rage/Rage 2
Spiderman Remastered
Returnal
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
Dead Space 2
Prey
Audica
Super Stardust HD
Doom Eternal/ Doom 2016
Bayonetta/2/3
Bioshock
Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Warhawk
Super Mario 3D Land
Fight Night Round 3/4
Bayonetta/Bayonetta 2
Street Fighter 2
Batman: Arkham Asylum/ Batman: Arkham City
Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Super Mario 3D Land/ Super Mario 3D World
Darksiders 3
Metal Gear: Rising
The Ascent
Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions Evolved
Geometry Wars Retro Evolved
In Death
Half Life: Alyx
Tetris Effect: Connected
Fury Unleashed
Until You Fall
The Thrill of the Fight
Pistol Whip

Dude really likes Bayonetta.

1. Uncharted 2

The characters, the jump in technology and animation from the first game, the over the top cliché plot, the writing and actually funny humor, the unbelievable orchestral soundtrack.

It'll never be topped. Amy Hennig writing and Gordon Hunt directing are greatest combo of all time. Not to mention the Bruce Staley and Neil Druckman combo. Perfection.

2. Far Cry 2

The greatest FPS game of all time. The way this game combines gunplay, enemy A.I., exploration, native instruments/vocals for the soundtrack and environmental simulation into an incredibly detailed but focused open world, accompanied by some of the most unique voice acting in any game is nothing short of incredible.

Every minute you feel as if you're in danger, it's remarkable what Ubisoft was able to accomplish in 2008.

3. Medal of Honor 2010

The only historically accurate game about the War in Afghanistan. This game accomplishes what many hold Call of Duty: World at War in high regard for, only in a modern context.

It's real, it's brutal, it's horrific and it shows you things that you should never see or know about. It helps the player gain a true appreciation for what it takes to be a Special Operations soldier.

If an FPS game is ever going to make you cry, this one is it.

4. Afrika on PS3

The quintessential African safari simulation. Animals act real, look photo real and at no points does the animation or behavior convince your brain that you're looking at anything other than reality.

And the soundtrack, the soundtrack may be the greatest videogame soundtrack of all time. Comparable to the likes of John Williams, this score is utterly mind blowing for a photo safari game.

As a side note, I have the Platinum trophy for this which was very hard and took me forever and it's one of the most expensive PS3 games currently on the market.

5. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare

Without a doubt the greatest CoD campaign since World at War.

One of the only games in general to give you a near complete understanding of behind the scenes Naval/military operations along with top notch characters, acting and emotional writing that caused me to feel things that many other games attempt to achieve but never fully succeed at the majority of the time.

It truly embodies what going above and beyond the "Call of Duty" is all about.

Peace to the Fallen.

Last edited:

EDMIX

1. Metal Gear Solid 3
Amazing story, amazing setting, great gameplay and massively ahead of its time.

2. Resident Evil: Code Veronica
Easily the best story in the RE Universe, the best of the older style RE titles

3. The Last Of Us 2
Probably one of my favorite stories of all time, massive twist, the darkest humanity has to offer, brutal gameplay, amazing puzzles and wild set pieces

4. Persona 3
Great turned based combat, amazing music, one of my favorite loops in all games, school by day, level up by night.

5. Elder Scroll Oblivion
Look...I know Skyrim is better in regards to a ton of its mechanics, but I love Oblivion's world, music and story JUST as much as I love Skyrims.

Honorable mentions.

God Of War 2018
Basically the new Zelda that actually uses those old school concepts. Creative level based puzzles, explore with purpose and no wasted empty space, rewarded at every corner for exploring. The M rated Zelda lol I haven't had that feeling since 2013...if you know, you know. =)

Yakuza 0
Maybe one of the best prequels of all time, maybe tied with DMC3 and MGS3 lol I love the 80's ecstatic

Final Fantasy IV
....solely based on how many times Cid dies and the fact that he provides no real logical reason for his random actions lol

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Cant decide on top 5. No order:

- Heroes of Might and Magic 3 Complete Edition
- Take your pick threesome gangbang I'll lump together... COD 4, World at War, MW 2
- Fallout 3
- Skyrim
- EA NHL series

Honourable mention:

- Ace Combat 4
- Streets of Rage 2
- Warlords (1990 SSG game)
- Ultima Underworld 1 and 2

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
NHL 94/95 and NHL 09/10 for me. Technically NHL 11/12 were better made games, but I had so much more fun with EASHL league play in 09/10 even with all the cheaters and boosters.

For those of you who never played NHL 09, there was some quirky bug which people took advantage to boost their online player to 99 stats. In order to level up you had to play well for consecutive games and if you did well enough, the game awards you attribute points.

But some weird quirk people found out and I dont think EA ever fixed or retroactively reset players was if you did some oddball sign in procedure where you log in, log out, reboot the game (I forget the method) suddenly your create-a-player could max out with 99 points per stat. I forget the exact situation, but it was something stupid like that. So maybe a month or two later, everyone was doing it. No doubt by Xmas it was full of this. I never did and neither did any of my teammates, so I bailed from the game as our team eventually got outmatched by teams of 99 stat players. You couldnt even knock them down.

Last edited:
1. Bloodborne

2. Mario Maker Series

3. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

4. Capcom vs SNK 2

5. SSX 3

Over the years I've come to realize that gameplay is king. Smooth gameplay simply feels good and becomes timeless.

Thus, I stand by my statement in other threads that the PS1/Saturn/N64 generation has aged the worst overall regardless of how influential and generational-defining they were. All of the games that were my top picks from that generation have been moved way down since then, especially when I went to play them again. I'd argue that only a very, very, very tiny selection of games actually hold up in terms of genuinely fun gameplay from that generation(with most of them being 2D or 2.5D), and Mario 64 would be the big 3D game at the top of that list.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
1. The Last of Us: Part II
- A complete game changer. Completely raised the bar in every way. Feel like it was a game literally made specifically for me. Plus it was dark, mean, brutal and not for fucking pussies.

2. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves.
- The game that changed my tastes completely. The absolute nutty graphics. The insane set pieces. The GOAT pacing. The story. The adventure. The production values. The varied locations. Everything was ground breaking at the time. Game. Changer.

3. The Last of Us
- An all timer. Classic. Nuff said.

4. Bioshock.
- Best first person shooter ever made. The best setting in a game ever. Rapture to this day remains my fav atmosphere ever. Went in blind, left with one of my all time fav gaming experiences.

5. Need For Speed: Underground
- Me and my cousins spent literal days, and had tournaments with the Drag Racing. We'd all choose cars, deck them out. And have drag race tournaments. Competitive as fuck.

God, this was good

Others if it was a top 10:

- Gears of War 1
- SSX Tricky
- DBZ Budokai 2
- God of War 2018
- Burnout 3

Last edited:

xBlueStonex

1. Ocarina of Time
2. Halo: Combat Evolved
3. Poke'mon: Silver Version
4. World of Warcraft
5. Red Dead Redemption 2

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

I will cheat a little and separate mp games from sp

Single player in no particular order

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Pokémon Silver
Tales of Symphonia
Grand theft Auto: San Andreas
Red Dead Redemption 2

Honorable mention: Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door/ Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

Multiplayer (in order)

1. FIFA series (particularly 12, 13, 15, 17 and 18)
2. Ragnarok Online (early/mid 2000s version)
3. Call of duty: Black Ops
4. Smackdown vs Raw 2007
5. Rainbow Six: Siege

Honorable mention: PES/Winning Eleven series.

Last edited:

Melchiah

Bloodborne
Silent Hill 2
The Last of Us (although, the sequel diminished it retroactively, much like Mass Effect 3 did to its predecessors)
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Let It Die (I still play it on a regular basis)

Raven77

Morrowind

This weird, wonderful world they created blew my young mind. I loved the player freedom and awesome graphics.

Skyrim

Like Morrowind but with a much more enticing, atmospheric world. It wasn't as weird as Morrowind but I couldn't get enough.O

Ocarina of Time

I mean, if you played this when it first came out and weren't blown away, idk what is wrong with you. The story, semi-open world, amazing dungeons, puzzles, bosses, music. Just wow.

Banjo Kazooie

Does music in a game get any better? The tight gameplay and gorgeous worlds just d theripping with secrets to uncover are still unmatched in 3d platformers to this day. A charming, endearing, whimsical masterpiece.

Mario 64

Only one notch below banjo, the flagship launch title of the N64 set a new standard for 3d games. Beautiful music that accompanied 3d platforming worlds that were a pure joy to conquer.

Top Bottom