• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Current Console Graphics King?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
0379AR We at least have some who can appreciated sexy side of mechs.....shame to rest of you mother f**ckers.
giphy.gif

Justin9mm

For me Spiderman 2 has been very disappointing and I am playing on Fidelity.
Yep same, playing on fidelity and I think I expected a bit more from it. Some facial animations look god awful too. Like PS3 levels of animation.

I'm a take a stab and say this game was rushed out the door in the way of wanting to release by a certain deadline and they cut corners to do that. Quality is still there but didn't have the time to give it that extra impressive push.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Horizon Forbidden West, nothing matches it. Second close would be Metro Exodus because no other game runs full RTGI on consoles afaik. Cyberpunk maybe third place.

Caio

Horizon Forbidden West, TLOU Part I, Microsoft Flight Simulator, FH5, GT7, Demon's Souls Remake, Cyberpunk, God of War Ragnarok are all Top Notch.

Marvel14

Banned
Alright boys and weebs. What do we think is the current best looking console game? All genres welcome.

Some likely choices:

Cyberpunk 2077 (yes console version)
Spider-Man 2
Last of Us 2
Ghost of Tsushima
Guardians of the Galaxy
Mortal Kombat 1
Horizon Forbidden West
God of War Ragnarok
Gran Turismo 7
Forza
Final Fantasy XVI
Ratchet and Clank
Starfield
Resident Evil 4 Remake
Last of us 1 Remake
Death Stranding

—-

Not sure if I missed any but likely did.

For me ? I think it’s Mortal Kombat 1. The stage detail is insane , character models top shelf, fantastic lighting and shadows, and more.
Cyberpunk 2077 on PC doesn't look as good as GTAV on console so surely that's out. Shouldn't Red Dead Redemption 2 be in contention?

SABRE220

In sheer density of details and fidelity in a relatively closed environment I still choose demons souls.
Overall sadly its still forbidden west/burning shores which says a lot about how disappointing this gen has been and how unambitious devs have been with visuals when a cross gen game and a launch title are still benchmarks halfway into the gen.

Skifi28

I think there are many games that look good, but forbidden west is the only game to have really impressed me. I just can't believe how good it can look without any form of RT while also having dynamic time of day. The character models and animations are also some of the best if not the best out there.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Flight Simulator.
Anytime you hear theres a tropical storm happening, make sure to boot up Flight Simulator so you can chase that fucker down.

microsoft_flight_simulator_hurricane_laura_01_petri_levalahti_2560.0.jpg

DGnwZQHgZGKX3bhiNYs3nL.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

My roomates thought I was going through some sort of quarter life crisis because they would constantly find me watching the weather channel.....storm in haiti....im there, storm in thailand, im there, storm of the gulf, im there......I never understood why people did any sort of storm chasing.......now I kinda get it.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
"Graphics King" is a really fuzzy term.

Is it what makes the prettiest screenshots? What looks most impressive in motion? Does the amount going on in the scene not count? How about the level of dynamics and interactivity because obviously static scenery is easier to prettify than stuff that is affected by physics and player behaviour?

Just saying, what looks beautiful and impressive is only half the story, because that can be achieved with relatively low impact techniques if the art direction and execution is top notch.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Spider Man2(Fidelity Mode,40fps)
The graphics(RT) are amazing considering that it flies around NYC at the speed of a helicopter.
MIuVkDk.jpg
iqT9Lir.jpg
SrAYX2x.jpg
vJAwmYq.jpg
I came to say....I think some ppl are sleeping on how good Spider-Man 2 can look.

I think I'm halfway thru the game now...and my god....

Black_Stride

I think Sea of Thieves has the best water currently.

Absolutely agreed especially since you interact with it "realistically" too.

I really hope they are using the same methods in Fable and theres some sort of sailing mechanics between regions.

Absolutely agreed especially since you interact with it "realistically" too.

I really hope they are using the same methods in Fable and theres some sort of sailing mechanics between regions.
Different graphics engine I think, I'm sure SoT is Unreal and Fable is Forzatech. Rare are incredibly talented but I'm hoping that they reveal something new next year.

Ev1L AuRoN

It's hard to pick one, I'll say that the games that impressed me the most this gen so far are:

• Gran Turismo 7;
  • Horizon Forbidden West;
  • Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart;
  • Marvel's Spider-Man 2;
  • Callisto Protocol;
  • Cyberpunk 2077 Phantom Liberty;
  • Flight Simulator.

Black_Stride

Different graphics engine I think, I'm sure SoT is Unreal and Fable is Forzatech. Rare are incredibly talented but I'm hoping that they reveal something new next year.

The Water tech they used is their own extension.
Said extension actually has its origins in Kinect Sports Rivals, when Playground Games knew they were going to Australia they needed the beaches and other swampy watery areas to look great, so Rare integrated the extension into ForzaTech for Forza Horizon 3.
When it came time for Sea of Thieves they basically pushed it to the max.
You can kinda see the similarities if you go back to Forza Horizon 3 and look at calmer seas in Sea of Thieves.

david-milligan-forzahorizon3-02.jpg

david-milligan-f72c04dd-ec31-4360-86d4-41b7e37c1052.jpg

Demon Souls, Forbidden West, Ratchet are the most consistently great looking games. Then there are games that at certain times can look just as good like FF16, Callisto, Spiderman 2, Miles Morales, Jedi Survivor, Cyberpunk, Gt7, Starfield, Forza Horizon 5 etc

DanielG165

The Water tech they used is their own extension.
Said extension actually has its origins in Kinect Sports Rivals, when Playground Games knew they were going to Australia they needed the beaches and other swampy watery areas to look great, so Rare integrated the extension into ForzaTech for Forza Horizon 3.
When it came time for Sea of Thieves they basically pushed it to the max.
You can kinda see the similarities if you go back to Forza Horizon 3 and look at calmer seas in Sea of Thieves.

david-milligan-forzahorizon3-02.jpg

david-milligan-f72c04dd-ec31-4360-86d4-41b7e37c1052.jpg
That honestly just reminds me of how good FH3 still looks. You wouldn’t think that game came out last gen, honestly.

OT: I’ve changed my answer; there isn’t just one graphics “king” on console, and overall right now. Multiple games share that title in different ways. So, for me, my personal choices are:

Microsoft Flight Simulator

Horizon Forbidden West

Cyberpunk 2077

Red Dead Redemption 2 (PC)

Ratchet and Clank: A Rift Apart

Forza Horizon 5

Gears 5

Returnal (PC)

Control (PC)

These games are the crème of the crop in terms of visuals and fidelity, but in different ways. There is no one “king”, there are multiple. Although, Flight Sim probably won’t be topped in overall presentation and wow factor until the next Flight Simulator releases.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I think a lot of games do great things visually differently. Then there’s art style to take into consideration. I don’t count performance, because I tend to play all game in 30 fps modes for the boosted visuals.

To me, the standouts are:

Demons Souls
Cyberpunk
Horizon FW
Spider-Man 2
Starfield
Zelda TotK
Gran Turismo 7
Hi-Fi Rush
Dead Space

I only put down games I played.

Last edited:
That honestly just reminds me of how good FH3 still looks. You wouldn’t think that game came out last gen, honestly.

OT: I’ve changed my answer; there isn’t just one graphics “king” on console, and overall right now. Multiple games share that title in different ways. So, for me, my personal choices are:

Microsoft Flight Simulator

Horizon Forbidden West

Cyberpunk 2077

Red Dead Redemption 2 (PC)

Ratchet and Clank: A Rift Apart

Forza Horizon 5

Gears 5

Returnal (PC)

Control (PC)

These games are the crème of the crop in terms of visuals and fidelity, but in different ways. There is no one “king”, there are multiple. Although, Flight Sim probably won’t be topped in overall presentation and wow factor until the next Flight Simulator releases.

Demon's Souls and Last of Us 1 and 2 belong on that list

Top Bottom