• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The most overrated game of the Generation

The most overrated game of the Generation

• The Witcher 3

Votes: 64 7.1%
  • Super Mario Odyssey

Votes: 26 2.9%
  • God of War

Votes: 41 4.6%
  • Red Dead Redemption 2

Votes: 105 11.7%
  • Resident Evil 2

Votes: 3 0.3%
  • Zela: Breath of the Wild

Votes: 135 15.1%
  • Hollow Knight

Votes: 15 1.7%
  • The Last of Us 2

Votes: 228 25.4%
  • Uncharted 4

Votes: 43 4.8%
  • Bloodborne

Votes: 29 3.2%
  • Overwatch

Votes: 39 4.4%
  • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • Super Smash Bros Ultimate

Votes: 15 1.7%
  • Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Votes: 33 3.7%
  • Divinity: Original Sin 2

Votes: 8 0.9%
  • Celeste

Votes: 16 1.8%
  • Monster Hunter: World

Votes: 9 1.0%
  • Persona 5

Votes: 8 0.9%
  • Inside

Votes: 9 1.0%
  • Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Votes: 47 5.2%
  • Undertale

Votes: 18 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mozzarella

I find it funny that people are saying Cyberpunk 2077 is overrated. All i see about this game is people hating on it and complaining about every little thing about it, literally every little nitpick is mentioned on the internet, no matter how you complain about it you can be sure someone else got there before you and said them.
The score is just high because all Triple A games get higher scores from journalists, and even with that 86 is not that high, when things like GTA 4 and GTA 5 and RDR2 are almost 100. Even with their many flaws as well.

I dont believe overrated games are bad but games i will list below are games i believe deserve a bit less acclaim than what they got:
1- Metal Gear Solid 5 (Journalist acclaim overrated)
2- The Last of Us 2 (Game awards and journalist acclaim overrated, also has some very annoying fans on twitter)
3- Persona 5 (Both journalist and gaming community overrated)
4- Celeste (journalist acclaim only)
5- Super Mario Odyssey (Both journalist and gaming community overrated)
6- Uncharted 4

Those 6 games are games i would rate either 2/5 or 3/5 at best.

As going for metacritic i dont really think RDR2 and Breath of the Wild deserve to be as high as they are and to a lesser extent God of War. However those three games are very good and they deserve the acclaim, just a slight disagreement with the number nothing else. (Just MC average) 4/5 games for me.

Last edited:
Nier: Automata, everyone is hyping this game up to heaven, yet I'm yet to return to it 3h in, it didn't really catch me at all. Not to mention that it requires multiple playthroughs just to see some kind of incredible ending that I keep hearing about.

Hugare

RDR 2, BOTW and Mario Odyssey

Odyssey's controls are awesome, but level design and dificulty were laughable. Galaxy series is so, so much better in almost every way.

RDR 2 controls like shit, has shitty mission design and a story that was padded as fuck, but somehow managed to get a 97 MC.
To me, it could be easily considered the most overrated game of all time, if not for ...

... Fucking BOTW.
Weapon degratation ruins the ok combat system. Huge world that doesnt reward exploration, its empty as fuck. Countless colectibles that again, rewards you with nothing meaningful. Bad sidequests. Bad dungeon designs.

It was Nintendo's first try at open world formula, and it shows. Bland as fuck.
People saying that they "nailed it" must be out of their minds.

Breath of the Wild.
It REALLY surprises me when people don't click with Breath of the Wild. It legit shocked me how much better than everything it was in 2017. Was it because it felt a little slower to you? I'm genuinely curious because when I was playing it I just assumed everyone was mirroring my experience.

RDR 2, BOTW and Mario Odyssey

Odyssey's controls are awesome, but level design and dificulty were laughable. Galaxy series is so, so much better in almost every way.

RDR 2 controls like shit, has shitty mission design and a story that was padded as fuck, but somehow managed to get a 97 MC.
To me, it could be easily considered the most overrated game of all time, if not for ...

... Fucking BOTW.
Weapon degratation ruins the ok combat system. Huge world that doesnt reward exploration, its empty as fuck. Countless colectibles that again, rewards you with nothing meaningful. Bad sidequests. Bad dungeon designs.

It was Nintendo's first try at open world formula, and it shows. Bland as fuck.
People saying that they "nailed it" must be out of their minds.
I don't know what to tell you. I was in awe by all the ways the engine worked. The level of experimentation was totally unreal. It ran on the Wii U and it did so much it was just insane to me. I loved the combat, but I didn't mind switching my weapon constantly, but I get that criticism.

When people say RDR2 should have been a TV show, then yeah. Totally. OK.

Mario Odyssey's sandbox wasn't as tight as Galaxy's gameplay loop? Cool. I understand completely.

I loved every single second of Zelda on the Wii U. Being able to climb any surface changed the way I looked at games in general. Just have fun seeing ways you can break the content? I loved it. Guess I'm out of my mind, but I wouldn't trade that first time experience for anything.

The fact that I could climb and climb and climb and not have to search for a haystack to fall into but just bust out that hang glider and plan out my next move from the sky?!? Absolutely phenomenal.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
RDR2, because Rockstar declared war on gamers everywhere when they force fed us BS like this and expected us to take it.

tumblr_pn02gkzKrI1rzhmyko3_500.gifv

Laughing all the way to the bank they were.

I'll bet you they had a few game developers chained up, ematiated, screaming "Please! Let's give players meaningful choices to make in and out of missions!"

And Rockstar leadership was like "No! Just keep making the graphics better! The siren song of pretty visuals will be too much for the masses!"

Last edited:

Ixion

Witcher 3 for me as well. I beat it and liked it quite a bit, but I've always been a bit confused why it's considered such a holy grail. The sheer quantity of side-quests/dialogue and the their solid quality and variety gives the game something a bit unique there, but that's about it. The main story isn't very interesting and the combat is just alright. And when the best part of the game is all the sitting around and talking, that's a problem for me. Ultimately the game just didn't leave a lasting impression on me besides the constant titties, the Crones, and this song.

Hinedorf

Banned
Have to agree with another post I saw, Hades is far and away the most overrated game. by that I mean it's in no way shape of form a game of the year contender.

It's a polished up rogue-like and nothing more. a zillion rogue-likes virtually no different, regardless of story gameplay remains the same.

brenobnfm

It's between God of War and BotW, both games have no business fighting for the GOTY on their respective years, let alone being in the conversation for best game of the generation, mediocrity galore.

Red Dead Redemption 2. Shitty, outdated mission design and mechanics (I had the same gripes with GTAV...now add 5 years...their rigid approach to mission design in an open world game is like oil & water). The story really isn't that good either. It was very repetitive and dragged out.

NPC interactions, visuals and presentation are impressive and worthy of praise, but overall a very unenjoyable experience. It's one of my all time most disappointing games.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I understand not liking BotW. It started dragging pretty bad for me after my 2nd boss fight.

But changing the open world template like that should be lauded. It was such a future facing game, despite it's shortcomings.

BOTW is nowhere near the best Zelda or GOTG, but it is at least enjoyable enough to play - Red Dead Redemption 2 in the other hand felt way clunkier to play than I expected from all the glowing reviews. If it was by any other studio it would've been ragged on instead of forgiven.

Hugare

I don't know what to tell you. I was in awe by all the ways the engine worked. The level of experimentation was totally unreal. It ran on the Wii U and it did so much it was just insane to me. I loved the combat, but I didn't mind switching my weapon constantly, but I get that criticism.

When people say RDR2 should have been a TV show, then yeah. Totally. OK.

Mario Odyssey's sandbox wasn't as tight as Galaxy's gameplay loop? Cool. I understand completely.

I loved every single second of Zelda on the Wii U. Being able to climb any surface changed the way I looked at games in general. Just have fun seeing ways you can break the content? I loved it. Guess I'm out of my mind, but I wouldn't trade that first time experience for anything.

The fact that I could climb and climb and climb and not have to search for a haystack to fall into but just bust out that hang glider and plan out my next move from the sky?!? Absolutely phenomenal.
I get the appeal of "experimentation" in Botw's gameplay. In the same way that I understand why people love Minecraft.

But Minecraft doesnt try to combine sandbox with narrative. The purpose in Minecraft' gameplay IS the gameplay. In a Zelda game, the gameplay should be kind of a mean to an end. You understand what im saying?

Like, using those tools to get some cool loot, or to solve puzzles with stories behind them. The gameplay mechanics are solid, but I saw no appeal in just using them meaningless.
"Climbing that mountain, then using my glide ... And then climbing another mountain, and then using my shield to slide down". Ok cool , but what for?

That seems to appeal to a lot of people, but thats certainly not what I expect or want in a Zelda game.

And to add context to RDR 2 criticism: RDR was my game of the last generation. I loved it. But RDR 2 fails to capture that magic.

The main problem is pacing. The story is sloooow and goes nowhere most of the time. They go to fucking Guarma just because Rockstar had some more money to spend on the production so whatevs.
Pacing is GLACIAL. Then comes the epilogue. And jeeesus, its sloooooooower than the main story.
Even as a TV series, I would have droped this shit because it would have just as much filler as a The Walking Dead season.

Last edited:

brenobnfm

Breath of the Wild is overrated because it was the perfect game for a console with no games as it revolves around running aimlessly ad eternum, great time killer, but people confuse this with being a great game, there's barely a game there.

God of War was an action game for the average gamer, everything about it is made for the lowest common denominator but with insane budget and polish, from the dumbed down soulslike combat, cringeworthy oscar bait writing and obsolete gameplay loop from the PS2 era with it's nonsensical gamey level design.

Last edited:

Certinty

The Last of Us Part II is most definitely up there.

Loved a lot of parts but the actual story, dear God, fucking biggest mess I’ve ever come across in a huge story heavy game.

b6a6es

Banned
Overwatch, basically a TF2 clone with Waifu’s models which is why it became so popular yet died quickly after

GametimeUK

For me it's God of War. Adored by critics and gamers. Don't get me wrong it's not a bad game in my eyes by any stretch of the imagination, but I certainly don't see it as some magnificent 10/10 masterpiece.

Yes, God of War has always been "cinematic", but the change to the over the shoulder perspective and slower pace at times to dump dialogue just didn't do it for me as a fan of the series. I played through God of War (PS4) and God of War Ascension this year and much preferred Ascension.

I just really dislike the combat in God of War, the puzzles are shit, the RPG elements are not needed and are also shit. If I press down on my analogue stick in these types of games my character should run towards the camera instead of backpedaling. I know the game is designed around the new controls, but it's just not there for me. Also the bosses, enemies and sub bosses aren't all that, but Magni and Modi was awesome.

I look forward to a sequel and I hope they add a jump button so it opens the combat up a bit more. God of War does a lot of things well, but isn't excellent or best in class in any category besides production value.

Iced Arcade

I know I'm in the minority but... ghost of tsushima.

It's a decent game but I've found it pretty dry and currently stopped playing about 3 quarters though (Will pick back up). Could be from playing it directly after tlou2 which is my goty

Vick

God of War was an action game for the average gamer, everything about it is made for the lowest common denominator but with insane budget and polish, from the dumbed down soulslike combat, cringeworthy oscar bait writing and obsolete gameplay loop from the PS2 era with it's nonsensical gamey level design.
Shouldn't really bother, but man.. the only cringeworthy thing here is this load of bullshit of a post.

The "oscar bait writing" did a much better job than any game i've played from Rockstar and especially Naughty Dog this Gen. Mind sharing some games with better narrative?

The "dumbed down soulslike combat".. are you referring to this game?

The "obsolete gameplay loop from PS2 era with nonsensical gamey level design" it's called metroidvania and it's one of the best possible game designs a developer can choose to follow. Maybe you would have preferred something more linear but GoW being as "gamey" as it is it's the reason it pissed all over Naughty Dog releases this Gen, at least to me.

You said it had "no business fighting for the GOTY", so which game should have won that year? RDR2, as a big "FUCK GAMEPLAY!"?

Rdr2 and Witcher 3. Both play awfully.
At least in TW3 you can choose to give priority to controls over animations. It helps alot.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Loads of them. Heres my top 4.

RDR2 ->
Great story, great direction, amazing soundtrack, but the most atrocious game design i've seen in a game. Previous rockstar games were already in the bottom in that sense, and they somehow figured out how to make it worse. Its so horrendously bad that it made me drop a potential 10/10 review all the way down to 7.

GOW ->
Game feels really bland. Uninteresting story, underwhelming combat (even more so considering its origins), weak characters.... all it has going for it is some cool direction and visuals, and i guess somewhat cool puzzles.

The Witcher 3 ->
Bad game design (although not nearly as bad as RDR2), story has its great moments but it just feels weak overall. The most it has going for it are cool visuals and soundtrack, and maybe its open world?

TLoU2 ->
Don't know if its correct to call this one overrated considering so many people already call the story on its bullshits, but considering game journos put it on such a high pedestal i'll add it anyway.

Last edited:

brenobnfm

Shouldn't really bother, but man.. the only cringeworthy thing here is this load of bullshit of a post.

The "oscar bait writing" did a much better job than any game i've played from Rockstar and especially Naughty Dog this Gen. Mind sharing some games with better narrative? You're crazy, Uncharted 4 and RDR 2 shits on GoW writing and narrative from great heights, the comparison is insulting.

The "dumbed down soulslike combat".. are you referring to this game? I don't give a fuck about combo videos, i don't play these games to masturbate the controller against mob scrub, the bosses were trash filled with QTE and the enemy variety is abysmal.

The "obsolete gameplay loop from PS2 era with nonsensical gamey level design" it's called metroidvania and it's one of the best possible game designs a developer can choose to follow. Maybe you would have preferred something more linear but GoW being as "gamey" as it is it's the reason it pissed all over Naughty Dog releases this Gen, at least to me. It's not bad because it's metroidvania, it's bad because it makes no sense, the puzzles are nonsensical without purpose in the world, lots of convenient passages for Atreus, chests everywhere that no one opens god knows why and a lot of other bullshit, it heavily conflicts with the serious tone with the game because it's gamey as fuck.

You said it had "no business fighting for the GOTY", so which game should have won that year? RDR2, as a big "FUCK GAMEPLAY!"? It wasn't even the best Sony game, Spider-man is better in every fucking way.

Top Bottom