• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The most overrated game of the Generation

The most overrated game of the Generation

• The Witcher 3

Votes: 64 7.1%
  • Super Mario Odyssey

Votes: 26 2.9%
  • God of War

Votes: 41 4.6%
  • Red Dead Redemption 2

Votes: 105 11.7%
  • Resident Evil 2

Votes: 3 0.3%
  • Zela: Breath of the Wild

Votes: 135 15.1%
  • Hollow Knight

Votes: 15 1.7%
  • The Last of Us 2

Votes: 228 25.4%
  • Uncharted 4

Votes: 43 4.8%
  • Bloodborne

Votes: 29 3.2%
  • Overwatch

Votes: 39 4.4%
  • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • Super Smash Bros Ultimate

Votes: 15 1.7%
  • Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Votes: 33 3.7%
  • Divinity: Original Sin 2

Votes: 8 0.9%
  • Celeste

Votes: 16 1.8%
  • Monster Hunter: World

Votes: 9 1.0%
  • Persona 5

Votes: 8 0.9%
  • Inside

Votes: 9 1.0%
  • Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Votes: 47 5.2%
  • Undertale

Votes: 18 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I didn't play some of these games, so I voted Overwatch. It's fun for the first few days, but one quickly realizes it's kind of an arena shooter for newbies to the genre. Credit to Blizzard in that respect from a business perspective, it made them a lot of money, but it's not the grand challenging game many people make it out to be.

I like games, but I know that I am not great at FPS's. Even so I could routinely come out tops in leader boards and scored the play of the game about 30% of the time. Sometimes I'd choose Ana or Mei just to fuck with people or quickly win a match my team was losing. The music is also grating.

Vaelka

TLOU, GoW and HZD.

Note that I am NOT saying that they're bad games, just overrated.
These games are put up on a pedestal and worshipped to a really excessive level, people are literally saying that these games '' ruined gaming '' for them and that no other games can come even close it's just ridiculous.
And I am pretty tired of the GoW memes especially, the whole '' boi '' thing wasn't funny to begin with and it's not funny the billionth time.
You're free to feel like they're masterpieces but I think that it's pretty ridiculous to act like they've transcended media and are like the most important pieces of media of all time or something.
That's why I say that they're overrated, not because they're bad or not good but because of how I think that people excessively praise them.

It's just an annoyance I have with first party Sony games in general tho, it really annoys me how a lot of people on social media especially act like they're the only games that exist or matter.

In regards to TLOU2 I don't feel good about saying that it's the most overrated because I really don't think that it is.
It does have a vocal and obsessive fanbase but the overall reception was very mixed.
I don't think that a game with that kind of a reception can be considered overrated but that's just my opinion.

The Witcher 3 came to mind too but honestly I actually do see a lot of people say that it's overrated I think that the hype behind it has sorta worn off at this point and I expect that it will with these other games too at some point.

I suppose that every sports game ever could be said to be overrated too considering how little effort goes into them and how much money they make, but I sorta think that sports games are a beast of their own.
The general audience for them I think is quite different and a bit separated from the rest of the industry.

The poll is interesting. TLoU2 gets the most vote, yet some accuse NeoGAF as SonyGAF.

I think that it's a bit silly to say that it's overrated considering the reception.

Last edited:

Handel

The poll is interesting. TLoU2 gets the most vote, yet some accuse NeoGAF as SonyGAF.
NeoGaf is pretty anti-SJW and TLOU2 is put forward as a very SJW politics filled game that has anyone disliking it labeled as a bigot by the extreme left. So the bias in favor of Sony is canceled out by the bias against SJW politics.

Controversy and recency bias goes a long way. It's the hotbed topic.

NeoGaf is pretty anti-SJW and TLOU2 is put forward as a very SJW politics filled game that has anyone disliking it labeled as a bigot by the extreme left. So the bias in favor of Sony is canceled out by the bias against SJW politics.

This argument is so weird to me, because no one ever explains what the SJW themes of the game are, it's always "bigot sandwiches", "Abby buff" and "lesbians". That bigotry is tackled early in the game, in an off-hand manner and is just laughed off even by Ellie with her dumb joke makes it kinda weird to complain about, had the overarching themes been about bigotry I might get it... but they're not. The story isn't SJW people are just upset about who the major players in the story are, which is what identity politics IS, it's caring more about a person's appearance or sexuality or whatever else than what they have to say. The truth is both sides engage in identity politics and it's always annoying.

Handel

This argument is so weird to me, because no one ever explains what the SJW themes of the game are, it's always "bigot sandwiches", "Abby buff" and "lesbians". That bigotry is tackled early in the game, in an off-hand manner and is just laughed off even by Ellie with her dumb joke makes it kinda weird to complain about, had the overarching themes been about bigotry I might get it... but they're not. The story isn't SJW people are just upset about who the major players in the story are, which is what identity politics IS, it's caring more about a person's appearance or sexuality or whatever else than what they have to say. The truth is both sides engage in identity politics and it's always annoying.
I'm not making any statement about the game myself, just how it's perceived on NeoGaf and the controversy surrounding it.

Vaelka

I didn't really think that there was any overt '' SJW:ism '' about it, moreso the audience that sorta injected it into it on both sides.
When I say '' no overt '' I mean that it wasn't obnoxious.

On the other hand, it is a little bit absurd when like almost every character is '' nonconventional ''.
I don't have an actual problem with it, but I honestly doubt that it was some kind of a natural occurrence.

I remember Neil talking about Nathan's daughter I think or something and he said something along the lines of '' why couldn't she be a girl? ''.
But in that same vein, why couldn't she have been a son?
It's just such a strange question imo lol, just write the damn character.

I think that writing a character as female '' just because '' is just as bad as writing a character as male '' just because '', and I think that's probably the most '' SJW '' thing about TLOU2.
It's not awful, but there definitely is a lot of '' oh look a trans character, oh look everyone's gay or bi, oh look a big muscular female character who's nicknamed '' Abs '' and is the only muscular character except for some throw away guy towards the end for some reason '' etc etc ( seriously why is no one else muscular then if it makes so much sense? ).
I mean ffs even Mel being pregnant in the field, it's so fucking stupid for so many countless reasons and does come across a bit as a '' stronk female character won't let no pregnancy hold her down '' thing.
Like if you actually think about it the number of non-conventional characters for the setting and just in general is pretty bizarre and I don't think that it's a coincidence.

Again I don't have an actual problem with this, I think that artists should just create whatever they want to create.
It just irritates me a bit how for example if you make all of your characters nonconventional it's applauded and not treated as a big deal at all but if you even just have one conventional character it can cause controversy.
It's like if you have a conventionally attractive female character people lose their minds, but then those same people will just fill the whole screen up with nonconventional characters and/ or applaud it.
This is obviously not the case in TLOU2, but if all of your female characters look like Abby for example I really see it as no different than if every female character looks like Ivy from Soul Calibur.
You're kinda just filling up the roster of characters with your own personal fetish lol ( Abby was absolutely fetishized in the game and by the audience, the devs knew exactly what they were doing ).

But yeah, I do agree that both sides engage in identity politics.
It's just irritating how everyone with actual power in the industry support one while demonizing the other.
Just let artists create ffs...

Last edited:

Umbral

TLOU, GoW and HZD.

Note that I am NOT saying that they're bad games, just overrated.
These games are put up on a pedestal and worshipped to a really excessive level, people are literally saying that these games '' ruined gaming '' for them and that no other games can come even close it's just ridiculous.
And I am pretty tired of the GoW memes especially, the whole '' boi '' thing wasn't funny to begin with and it's not funny the billionth time.
You're free to feel like they're masterpieces but I think that it's pretty ridiculous to act like they've transcended media and are like the most important pieces of media of all time or something.
That's why I say that they're overrated, not because they're bad or not good but because of how I think that people excessively praise them.

It's just an annoyance I have with first party Sony games in general tho, it really annoys me how a lot of people on social media especially act like they're the only games that exist or matter.

In regards to TLOU2 I don't feel good about saying that it's the most overrated because I really don't think that it is.
It does have a vocal and obsessive fanbase but the overall reception was very mixed.
I don't think that a game with that kind of a reception can be considered overrated but that's just my opinion.

The Witcher 3 came to mind too but honestly I actually do see a lot of people say that it's overrated I think that the hype behind it has sorta worn off at this point and I expect that it will with these other games too at some point.

I suppose that every sports game ever could be said to be overrated too considering how little effort goes into them and how much money they make, but I sorta think that sports games are a beast of their own.
The general audience for them I think is quite different and a bit separated from the rest of the industry.

I think that it's a bit silly to say that it's overrated considering the reception.
wtf.gif

It’s reception is exactly why it would be considered overrated.

If it got 6’s and 7’s, nobody would be claiming it’s overrated.

Boopster

Banned
Witcher 3, and it ain’t even close. A lot of the game’s positive reaction was down to the mainstream not expecting it to be good.

If a Naughty Dog or Rockstar game releases with the technical issues that game did, it would’ve been torn apart.

mr.dilya

Banned
Red Dead Redemption 2, Last of us 2 , Zelda Breath of the Wild

Holy trinity of overrated.

Red Dead Redemption is clunky garbage.

Zelent

It warms my heart to see Breath of the Wild come in 2nd place.
I'm glad I'm not the only one to think that game is massively overrated.

ShinNL

It warms my heart to see Breath of the Wild come in 2nd place.
I'm glad I'm not the only one to think that game is massively overrated.
I'm sorry it didn't click for you. At least you can find solitude in a small percentage.

For me it's much harder, as Super Mario Odyssey didn't click for me and I think it's one of the most boring things I've ever touched. Hearing people praise it and recommend it hurts me in my soul every time. It has barely anyone disliking it.

Fortunately BotW was a 10/10 for me so I had fun with experiencing the hyped up joy.

Spaceman292

Banned
Don't try to make sense of it. It's nonsense spewed by crazy people.

Boopster

Banned

Except the critics that have been the most critical and negative about the game have all been very left-wing and 'sjw.' On the mainstream side, Polygon, Kotaku, Vice, etc. All published very negative reviews. On the Youtube side, Skill Up, and Angry Joe had fairly mixed reviews.

Also, I don't think you can really characterize Gaf as being anti-sjw. I think it'd be more accurate to say that this place is full of right-wing sjws.

martino

is it me or the three are game excelling a lot in some departments but failing/mediocre in others.

Last edited:

GRIEVEZ

nope

the leaks saved me 60 dollar df i look like worrying about Levs family issue hhhh

did play the first obe tho - the hype
I see...

Not to devalue your opinion.. but can you enjoy a movie, if you fast forward through it?... :3...

Anyways if the story doesnt jive with you, thats fine. But I think its a bit of a shallow take if all you watched is leaked footage... Not trying to convince you to get the game or w.e. - bc the game obviously isnt for you.

Ohh well..

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I see...

Not to devalue your opinion.. but can you enjoy a movie, if you fast forward through it?... :3...

Anyways if the story doesnt jive with you, thats fine. But I think its a bit of a shallow take if all you watched is leaked footage... Not trying to convince you to get the game or w.e. - bc the game obviously isnt for you.

Ohh well..

As someone who has played it to completion and even has the platinum trophy - I don't really see much of an issue. Most of those leaks were true to the final product and I would argue that in some aspects, the final product is *worse* than the leaks. I am glad you like it, but the game got reamed by the community for a good reason.

Umbral

This seems to indicate the only reception that matters is critical reception.
No. Not at all. Critics and journalists are generally no longer in alignment with their titles, they are either activists or are collecting a paycheck.

TLOU2 critics: 10/10
Players: 5.6/10

Overrated.

No. Not at all. Critics and journalists are generally no longer in alignment with their titles, they are either activists or are collecting a paycheck.

Overrated.

If you include the player consensus alongside critics (which LOL at Metacritic representing the "players" thousands of those went up the second the game was available to play) then you'd have to agree the consensus on the game was more DIVISIVE leaning towards HIGH which is weird while claiming a game is "overrated". Why not pick something that both has high Metacritic, user score and generally positive reception here on GAF? Surely there are games like that you don't care for.

Mozzarella

To those who voted for Bloodborne, all I can say is GitGud :messenger_winking_tongue:
You are obviously joking but the game is not that hard, could be someone that didnt find it as good, some people look for other things in their game than just "tight combat-gameplay"

Overrated.

Actually this seems like the more "true" definition of the world overrated than what people mean here, people on the internet generally refer to overrated titles as something a lot of people love but they personally didnt like it as much, whereas this score embodies the meaning in its exact form, like the game got so high scores but it turned out those scores are not fit for the game quality hence the world "OVER-rated" means its ratings is way over what people actually rate it as. Seems much more true overrated title than games where both critics and gamers liked but a few minority didnt. In the cast of TLOU 2 the overrated description can be applied objectively instead of subjectively.

Umbral

If you include the player consensus alongside critics (which LOL at Metacritic representing the "players" thousands of those went up the second the game was available to play) then you'd have to agree the consensus on the game was more DIVISIVE leaning towards HIGH which is weird while claiming a game is "overrated". Why not pick something that both has high Metacritic, user score and generally positive reception here on GAF? Surely there are games like that you don't care for.
This was my mistake. I took overrated to mean literally rated higher than it should have been.

A game that everyone loved but I didn’t care for? Monster Hunter: World. I was so excited that I could finally play this revered series and, as a From Software fan, people comparing some of its combat to their games got me very excited. I bought it on day one and within a week I abandoned it. I still wish I liked it but I just didn’t at all.
You are obviously joking but the game is not that hard, could be someone that didnt find it as good, some people look for other things in their game than just "tight combat-gameplay"

Actually this seems like the more "true" definition of the world overrated than what people mean here, people on the internet generally refer to overrated titles as something a lot of people love but they personally didnt like it as much, whereas this score embodies the meaning in its exact form, like the game got so high scores but it turned out those scores are not fit for the game quality hence the world "OVER-rated" means its ratings is way over what people actually rate it as. Seems much more true overrated title than games where both critics and gamers liked but a few minority didnt. In the cast of TLOU 2 the overrated description can be applied objectively instead of subjectively.
Yeah, my mistake. I took it literally.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I would argue TLOU2 is actually underrated. Or maybe not underrated by definition, as it got high critic scores, but received way lower user scores than I believe is fair. And after actually experiencing the game rather than just through leaks and angry posts, I would say it's way, way better than what even I had anticipated when the leaks first came out. It really grew on me.
Yeah sadly many will say it's overrated by not experiencing the game but by going off of the story alone instead

El Witcherino 3 for sure. Awful combat, I can't stand it. It ruins the whole game to me.
So much this! At first I tried it on the PS4, I figured that the frame pacing was what made it suck so much, then I got the PC version, it was smoother... yet no better (kind of proves that those who say frame rate isn't that important... yet I disagree, because a good game at 60+fps is definitely better than the same game locked at 30fps).. good frame rates and higher details won't fix a game that is fundamentally broken.

So I didn't get all the girls.

Also, the "SJW" mantra usually goes further to go into the vilification of men, especially the white ones.

In this game they are just about the same level of broken as everyone else (yes Ellie is attacked by some old white dude, but some other old white dude goes and does the white savior thing for her). Tommy is not bad either, while he is on your side, Abby's father is one of the cleanest character in the whole game, along Tommy's wife, while I'm not found of many of the choices in the story, We are quite far from a Star-Wars Luke Skywalker moment here.

You could also say that Abby's latin friend being a ladie's man and boasting about his conquests is stereotypical for a character of that origin.

What's SJW about the game is the push to add "depth" to each and every character, I'm surprised that there was not chapter where we play as a WLF dog just so we have its perspective on the whole situation.

The most SJW thing is how they treat Lev (even then ND got in trouble because the Scars kept "dead naming" the character, which is probably an extorsion tactic for some diversity and inclusion consultant to get a contract there).

Also, the "SJW" mantra usually goes further to go into the vilification of men, especially the white ones.

In this game they are just about the same level of broken as everyone else (yes Ellie is attacked by some old white dude, but some other old white dude goes and does the white savior thing for her). Tommy is not bad either, while he is on your side, Abby's father is one of the cleanest character in the whole game, along Tommy's wife, while I'm not found of many of the choices in the story, We are quite far from a Star-Wars Luke Skywalker moment here.

You could also say that Abby's latin friend being a ladie's man and boasting about his conquests is stereotypical for a character of that origin.

What's SJW about the game is the push to add "depth" to each and every character, I'm surprised that there was not chapter where we play as a WLF dog just so we have its perspective on the whole situation.

The most SJW thing is how they treat Lev (even then ND got in trouble because the Scars kept "dead naming" the character, which is probably an extorsion tactic for some diversity and inclusion consultant to get a contract there).

Is it SJW to add depth to each character? I dunno about that one but most your post is cool by me. The thing you call most SJW felt kinda blink and you miss it, to me.

Is it SJW to add depth to each character? I dunno about that one but most your post is cool by me. The thing you call most SJW felt kinda blink and you miss it, to me.
I am paraphrasing their argument, the claim is that this avoids tokenization, stereotyping, etc. As we could see in TLoU 2, it can also bloat a game to no end (it should have been half as long).

I am paraphrasing their argument, the claim is that this avoids tokenization, stereotyping, etc. As we could see in TLoU 2, it can also bloat a game to no end (it should have been half as long).

I thought it was done because the game wants you to understand everyone has a point of view and from their point of view things look different. But yeah... damn SJWs... adding nuance to things...

renzolama

Seems like the common thread for the winners (all of which I agree with and even in that specific order) is that they are games that do a few things exceptionally well and/or innovative but have massive flaws elsewhere which are completely overlooked or ignored by reviews. They're also games that share the exact same overused genre elements that reviewers complain about incessantly in all games other than those games. For the record, I think they're all still 8/10 games even if I don't personally enjoy playing them. I think that almost any game that scores over 8/10 is probably overrated and at that point you're just adding extra points based on your personal preferences rather than an objective review of the game's merits.

martino

A game that everyone loved but I didn’t care for? Monster Hunter: World. I was so excited that I could finally play this revered series and, as a From Software fan, people comparing some of its combat to their games got me very excited. I bought it on day one and within a week I abandoned it. I still wish I liked it but I just didn’t at all.

Ho ! same thing happen for me.
I see it's a good game but i can't play how the game ask me to
Seems like the common thread for the winners (all of which I agree with and even in that specific order) is that they are games that do a few things exceptionally well and/or innovative but have massive flaws elsewhere which are completely overlooked or ignored by reviews. They're also games that share the exact same overused genre elements that reviewers complain about incessantly in all games other than those games. For the record, I think they're all still 8/10 games even if I don't personally enjoy playing them. I think that almost any game that scores over 8/10 is probably overrated and at that point you're just adding extra points based on your personal preferences rather than an objective review of the game's merits.

i said same thing some post above

Top Bottom