• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"The Last Night" (Milkshake Duck incarnate) E3 Trailer [XBO/Win10/Steam 2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Ravn

Banned
No I didn't.
I asked about curation of political opinion in video games.
I didn't mention them, but i did have MS in mind, since in this specific case its their platform.

Makes you wonder doesn't it? Maybe its because I wasn't defending them?

Dude.

So assuming this game will be pushing #GG agenda.
Is GAF still in favor of having (blatant) politics in video games?
Or does this only apply to good political opinions?

If you were talking about Microsoft, how are we supposed to know if you don't even mention them? But you did mention GAF, so I just assumed you were talking about GAF.

As for the KKK... you're using them as an example of free speech. If you're not defending them, why use them as your analogy?

Why are you being so cagey on purpose?

8byte

Banned
WTF?! How am i trolling?! I didn't even state something controversial.

For one, you're pretending that there isn't a problem with a game supporting a culture that has openly attacked women in the industry, and seeks to demonize equality.

Second, you pretended like people who were challenging those opinions were attacking you, all while posting using an avatar that includes references to the alt-right, which may as well be a hate group at this point.

Further more, you pretended to be ignorant of "pepe the frog", all while being "woke" enough to know what the alt-right are, and what GamerGate is (which means you're full of shit and you know exactly what that frog is).

So yea, nice try, but you're extremely transparent. When you get older, maybe you'll get better at shit posting and hiding your very obvious support for hate culture.

So you are saying what you find moral or immoral is not a political opinion?
So if a republican finds abortion immoral its not political. Its immoral. full stop. end of discussion?
I guess you can end an argument like that. but its kinda boring :/

What is this bs? Ever heard of hate speech laws? Those aren't implemented in a way that things like abortion discussions can't be held, but so that attacks on human dignity are made a crime.

Comparing that with abortion discussions is ludicrous.

One is simply immoral, the other a complex issue based on science and on religion on the other side.

We're not talking here if MS should not promote it on legal basis, but on a moral basis. And excuse me that I don't see US laws as absolute moral basis.

For one, you're pretending that there isn't a problem with a game supporting a culture that has openly attacked women in the industry, and seeks to demonize equality.

Second, you pretended like people who were challenging those opinions were attacking you, all while posting using an avatar that includes references to the alt-right, which may as well be a hate group at this point.

Further more, you pretended to be ignorant of "pepe the frog", all while being "woke" enough to know what the alt-right are, and what GamerGate is (which means you're full of shit and you know exactly what that frog is).

So yea, nice try, but you're extremely transparent. When you get older, maybe you'll get better at shit posting and hiding your very obvious support for hate culture.

This is a great post. Unfortunately I doubt he'll respond to either of us.

Costia

Dude.
If you were talking about Microsoft, how are we supposed to know if you don't even mention them? But you did mention GAF, so I just assumed you were talking about GAF.
As for the KKK... you're using them as an example of free speech. If you're not defending them, why use them as your analogy?
Why are you being so cagey on purpose?
I am being cagey because it looks like people automatically assume I am a GG troll or something.
I used the KKK as an example, because its an extreme example of how liberal the US government decided to be when it comes to free speech.
i guess i should have said "you" instead of "GAF".

I edited it later in my previous post:
My question basically is: Should video games be curated based on political/moral views expressed in the game?
(Edit: because it seems that a lot of people here would be in favor of such an idea. And if it should be curated, who should decide? As an ideal, not necessarily practical.)

Alright i didn't know that "PEPE the Frog" is a symbol for the alt-right. I am gonna believe that for now until i research that myself, if it's true. Ofc i changed my avatar, FOR NOW.

"For one, you're pretending that there isn't a problem with a game supporting a culture that has openly attacked women in the industry, and seeks to demonize equality"

Wtf?! Where did you pull that from. Please give evidence where i stated something that could imply i support you described "culture".

My question basically is: Should video games be curated based on political/moral views expresed in the game?

You wouldn't need to ask this question if you'd acknowledge that probably most of us here don't see racism, sexism etc. as political opinions that should allowed to be promoted.

8byte

Banned
I am being cagey because it looks like people automatically assume I am a GG troll or something.
I used the KKK as an example, because its an extreme example of how liberal the US government decided to be when it comes to free speech.

My question basically is: Should video games be curated based on political/moral views expresed in the game?

Who cares about curation?

This is about a multi-billion dollar corporation giving a hate group a platform. Curation really is unimportant within the context of this discussion. That's something for another thread all together.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member

They already are so why is this even a question, jeez.
The major platforms don't allow sex games, steam has removed games for reasons like that before and they severed all business with digital homicide for being garbage humans(although it took a long time).
Platforms are not free spaces they are already curated based on all kinds of factors.

Jebusman

Banned
Alright i didn't know that "PEPE the Frog" is a symbol for the alt-right. I am gonna believe that for now until i research that myself, if it's true. Ofc i changed my avatar, FOR NOW.

I mean it's literally been this way for at least a year. Especially during the election.

Neonazi extraordinaire Richard Spencer gave interviews wearing a Pepe pin.

His days as "Sad Frog" have long passed.

MazeHaze

Banned

My question basically is: Should video games be curated based on political/moral views express in the game?

When it's being curated by a major prominent corporation, yes? Like, if a game is based on the philosophy that feminism is evil and feminists are just noisy bitches who complain too much, maybe a huge company like Microsoft shouldn't be openly supporting that? Like, do you think they should be able to put out a game that is openly against black people and calls them inferior? Of course not.

There are political views that are fine to discuss and can be reflected in art, inspiring interesting debate.

And then there's the view that feminism is evil. This isn't even worth discussing, and anybody who thinks like this is either grossly ignorant, has led a very privileged life, or is just a shitty person. Probably a combination of the three.

Costia

When it's being curated by a major prominent corporation, yes? Like, if a game is based on the philosophy that feminism is evil and feminists are just noisy bitches who complain too much, maybe a huge company like Microsoft shouldn't be openly supporting that? Like, do you think they should be able to put out a game that is openly against black people and calls them inferior? Of course not.
There are political views that are fine to discuss and can be reflected in art, inspiring interesting debate.
And then there's the view that feminism is evil. This isn't even worth discussing, and anybody who thinks like this is either grossly ignorant, has led a very privileged life, or is just a shitty person. Probably a combination of the three.
The thing is, it could be a double edged sword.
Curation done by a business might not be the best idea.
But as Holundrian mention, its already the case, so i guess its kinda pointless to ask.

MazeHaze

Banned
The thing is, it could be a double edged sword.
Curation done by a business might not be the best idea.
But as Holundrian mention, its already the case, so i guess its kinda pointless to ask.

I don't see anything double edged about denying a platform to people who support a hate group.

Joey Ravn

Banned

My question basically is: Should video games be curated based on political/moral views expressed in the game?
(Edit: because it seems that a lot of people here would be in favor of such an idea. And if it should be curated, who should decide? As an ideal, not necessarily practical.)

If you want an honest discussion, that's great. That's what being in a public forum is about. But you have to admit that if you are cagey on purpose, are vague about your references and use the KKK as an example of freedom of speech... Dude, everyone's going to assume you're a Gamergater, or worse.

But at least the air is clear now.

Costia

I don't see anything double edged about denying a platform to people who support a hate group.
From the platform owner perspective it isn't denying a platform to a hate group, its denying a platform to a group that will reduce their profit.
With the results of the last elections in mind, I think asking a business curate games based on political views might backfire at some point.
But again, its kinda pointless to discuss, since they do already anyway.
I guess i asked because i am mostly a PC gamer, where games aren't curated at all.

Jebusman

Banned
I guess i asked because i am mostly a PC gamer, where games aren't curated at all.

I mean they sort of are. Storefronts on PC still do curate, even if it doesn't feel like it at times.

Technically the platform as a whole isn't curated. Anyone can make a Win32 app and sell it on their own time in their own way, but many of the primary means of distribution on PC are still curated.

tuxfool

Banned
Like I alluded to before. I'm not going to be influenced by NeoGAF and nor do I need to justify my actions/opinions to you all. I'm going to give the game a chance because I like the look of it and I try to keep gaming and politics separate. If the game does turn out to be something I fundamentally disagree with either politically or personally then that's another matter and one for me to deal with personally.

When I said I was done here I was bowing out saying I respect people's personal opinion of the game and issues surrounding it but they also need to respect that I have mine. Sadly, that's not a two way street here. You have to comply or be dogpiled and have to explain yourself. This is a gaming forum for fucks sake, not a court.

I seem to recall you used exactly the same MO in your brexiter arguments.

"I won't justify my stupid opinion because it is private, but trust me, my reasons were sound".

All the time whining that people, who incidentally justified their arguments, were being mean to brexiters.

8byte

Banned

"For one, you're pretending that there isn't a problem with a game supporting a culture that has openly attacked women in the industry, and seeks to demonize equality"

Wtf?! Where did you pull that from. Please give evidence where i stated something that could imply i support you described "culture".

You knew, you're just nervous that someone will find out why you're here and the NeoGAF account you've waited so long for will get banned. Isn't that why you deleted your PSN ID from your profile? So people wouldn't find you on Reddit and see how you were complaining about feminists, muslims, and SJWs?

Second: You should learn to parse sentences better. I said you were pretending there wasn't a problem with a game supporting this kind of culture. Which you are.

I truly do hope you find belonging in a new group that will accept you, and one that isn't just a spring board for hatred. I get that you want to be "a part of something" and this is your schtick, but I sincerely hope that at some point in the future, you realize how foolish all of this is. I hope that you see "trolling" for your agenda to create outrage and paint your group of people as the "victim" is both insincere, and childish.

Find peace my friend, not hatred.

what the hell happened here. Damn, didn't expect any of this. Shame, and I was looking forward to the game... well before I found that that the creator is on that bullshit anyway.

Microsoft is going to drop this game so hard.

tcrunch

Man the trailer for this looked cool

Mod edit: a summary of what all the discussion is about

K33wjeS.gif

PSY・S;241146100 said:
You guys are spending way too much energy on an obvious troll.
I tend to ignore them on here, but there's merit to exposing them. Onlookers get to see their goof asses flop around and make a mess of themselves, until they typically go past the threshold where mods flush them away.
See?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
You knew, you're just nervous that someone will find out why you're here and the NeoGAF account you've waited so long for will get banned. Isn't that why you deleted your PSN ID from your profile? So people wouldn't find you on Reddit and see how you were complaining about feminists, muslims, and SJWs?
lol, busted

Blindy

Not really, it's just an incredibly stupid point.
We can disagree on things but at the very least, you can show some respect to someone's point of view without coming off condescending. I disagree with people's points but I don't devalue their point by calling it stupid.

Depicting a person in any way is "glorifying" them? Schindler's List is glorifying the nazis? What the actual fuck? I think you lost the thread of your own argument.

Should we pretend Hitler and nazis never existed and his atrocities never took place? Do you think their victims would be fine with that?
Glorifying them not as in positively highlighting their achievements but giving them acknowledgement yes. The media falls into the trap of giving for example high school/college shooters and or terrorists the public acknowledgement that many crave.

Nowhere did I indicate that guys like Pol Pot, Hitler etc. SHOULD NOT be off limits but it's an example that I feel like all forms of society can and should be discussed about and I think trampling on said ideals is harmful to the creativity that video games are all about.

Because the entire premise of the game is a dystopian future explicitly caused by social justice and feminism?
I don't have a problem with not wanting to buy the game because you refuse to show support for such a story but I think it's pretty ridiculous to condemn people who want to buy the game like some posters are coming into this thread who don't have the time or want to follow up on this whole Gamergate spiel. I don't follow such things, that doesn't mean I am blind or oblivious it just means I don't want it to ruin my enjoyment of video games.

Yeah, it's obvious somebody has no idea. Don't put everyone in the same wagon.
I didn't put everyone on the same wagon, get off your high horse and stop thinking everyone has to share your common belief.

Moreche

what the hell happened here. Damn, didn't expect any of this. Shame, and I was looking forward to the game... well before I found that that the creator is on that bullshit anyway.

Microsoft is going to drop this game so hard.
Hoping Microsoft do drop it and it goes multi-platform.

jviggy43

Second: You should learn to parse sentences better. I said you were pretending there wasn't a problem with a game supporting this kind of culture. Which you are.

I truly do hope you find belonging in a new group that will accept you, and one that isn't just a spring board for hatred. I get that you want to be "a part of something" and this is your schtick, but I sincerely hope that at some point in the future, you realize how foolish all of this is. I hope that you see "trolling" for your agenda to create outrage and paint your group of people as the "victim" is both insincere, and childish.

Therockclapping.gif

Blindy

One can, but they will and should be lambasted for it.
I just don't get that mentality at all, sorry.

I am not an insane person because I would like to try the game based off the trailer. I don't have the time or knowledge to really get involved with "Gamergate" and what not and I don't want that to ruin my enjoyment on games by looking at games with a completely different lens or point of view.

No clue where you pulled all that bs from. GJ tho. Keep amusing me, will ya? "Complaining about feminists, muslims, and SJWs?" Hahahaha, what even are you talking about. Ofc i will remove since some freaks already spammed my psn

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

I am not an insane person because I would like to try the game based off the trailer. I don't have the time or knowledge to really get involved with "Gamergate" and what not and I don't want that to ruin my enjoyment on games by looking at games with a completely different lens or point of view.

Good grief.

Blindy

Sure, but you are still supporting a bigot.
Have yet to ask the question but is this guy the only one working on the game? If so, forget my next point because if not, what's to say my 10 or 15 dollars isn't supporting some harmless art designer or translator trying to crack into the mainstream in this industry?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

Blind is right

Famassu

Can't one buy or want to play the game for it's art style or gameplay?
You can, but others can criticize you for it as well, especially when money from you buying it goes to people who support groups harassing & threatening people.

That said, this is a story-driven "cinematic platformer" so gameplay reaaally isn't the biggest focus of the experience and if the final game is as GG inspired as early tweets about the game indicate, you can't really escape the shitty message either. Of course it's possible they'll remove/change those aspects as they finish the game, but you'd still be supporting GamerGate (supporting) people, which isn't a whole lot better IMHO, considering all the disgusting, harmful things those people keep doing.

cntr

Banned

That's fine, but don't take pride in being ignorant. That's just as shameful, if not worse. You deserve to be lambasted for that, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom