• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"The Last Night" (Milkshake Duck incarnate) E3 Trailer [XBO/Win10/Steam 2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.

cntr

Banned
I like GTA V, it doesn't mean I can relate to a life of crime. I could go on.
On one hand, you have a game that glorifies such criminal ideas as "repainting your car makes the cops vanish".

On the other hand, you have a literal propaganda piece that encourages you to believe women don't deserve equal rights.

Yes, I can totally see the comparison there.

Fire? They don't employ these devs. But Microsoft putting their weight behind a developer and game that explicitly supports gamergate, a movement that harasses and threatens women, is not a good look.

Stop Advertising/Pull funding/Support etc.

Till we know how or even if the devs views make it into the game, all I see is judging a book by its cover by a lot of posters here.

I sincerely doubt MS would support the game if it pushes for online harassment/misogyny etc.

nynt9

Till we know how or even if the devs views make it into the game, all I see is judging a book by its cover by a lot of posters here.

I sincerely doubt MS would support the game if it pushes for online harassment/misogyny etc.

I mean, we know the contents of the book. The developer has explicitly stated the contents of the book. The developers themselves have supported this online harassment campaign. That's pretty clear cut to me. I like how you didn't quote the part of my post where the dev makes this explicitly clear.

Flintty

On one hand, you have a game that glorifies such criminal ideas as "repainting your car makes the cops vanish".

On the other hand, you have a literal propaganda piece that encourages you to believe women don't deserve equal rights.

Yes, I can totally see the comparison there.

It's really unsurprising to see the exact same arguments brought up every page or two. I'm not tired of giving back the exact same responses yet, so here you go:

1- GTA doesn't really have a political message of "crime is cool, you should do more"
2- This game has a political message of "feminism is bad, #gamergate"
3- GTA is primarily a gameplay driven by gameplay and blockbuster storytelling
4- This game is primarily a narrative game exploring a particular concept

There are many aspects of GTAV to like beyond its premise, and its premise is clearly not an endorsement of the views of its creators. This game is centered around its premise, the premise is an endorsement of the views of its creators.

Look, tell yourself what you want if you want to play this game, but at least do us the favor of not wasting our time with disingenuous/poorly thought out arguments. We've had enough of those in this thread. These exact same arguments you make have already been made and discussed a dozen times already.

edit: if you think being against gamergate and misogyny is just "this is neogaf after all" then maybe this forum isn't the best place for you

You do know GTA is something like a parody of criminal life, right? The comparison doesn't work.

You're entitled to your opinions, I respect that. But you do you and I'll do me.

Sotha Sil

Artist: "I defend this ideology and my game is about it, say as a matter of fact could I get Vivian James, the very symbol of said ideology, in my game? #GamerGate"

Joe Condor: "All I see is judging a book by its cover!"

Unless I'm mistaken, we have no clue what (if any) deal MS has with their publisher for this game. But yeah, I doubt they'll be promoting the game that much going forward.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
No that's this tweet:

KmpDjSb.png

*proceeds to wait for the next 5 posts where someone asks the same question again*
I think you misunderstood my post. I apologize if I wasn't clear. I know the message of this game.

You're entitled to your opinions, I respect that. But you do you and I'll do me.
Saying GTA is satirical and doesn't endorse crime and what, and that this is about and designed around the developer's ideology, isn't an opinion. It's fact, informed by the developer's own comments

Twookie

goddamn, I thought my eyes decieved me when I looked at the page counter for this thread, 78 pages for this indie game? I mean, it looked cool but did it appeal to that many people?

and then I read the thread and well, I weren't going to buy the game anyway, but damn if that artstyle isn't wasted on this game :(

Joey Ravn

Banned
Really looking forward to this game. The artstyle looks incredible. Hope it lives up to the Hype. Story sounds fresh and "new"

Does anyone know if The Last Night will get a physical release? I have been googling and i found nothing.

"Great games are great games" If you don't want to buy/support the game, so be it. But don't force your opinions onto others. He already said he doesn't really care. :)

The avatar gave it away, dude. Cut your loses now while you still can.

Gaslighting & sealioning - the thread. Right here.

Every page multiple examples of:
"This looks great, day 1!"

Combined with:
"This looking great is my opinion, your agenda is trying to force me to not have an opinion."

+

"So, how's portraying Hitler in a game supporting Nazism? And what about GTA? Or Roman Polanski? Or Richard Wagner?"

Rinse, repeat.

"Great games are great games" If you don't want to buy/support the game, so be it. But don't force your opinions onto others. He already said he doesn't really care. :)

All I'm asking is if people are really failing to see the difference between someone like Fish and gamergate.

I'm sorry if you think that, by questioning other people's opinions, I'm somehow forcing mine. That's an extremely cynical and narrow way of looking at shit.

I mean, we know the contents of the book. The developer has explicitly stated the contents of the book. The developers themselves have supported this online harassment campaign. That's pretty clear cut to me. I like how you didn't quote the part of my post where the dev makes this explicitly clear.

So you can point out the parts of the game with screenshots and video evidence that support GG and anti-feminist ideologies then or are you under NDA?
/s

Give MS a little credit here, they wouldn't support such a game if that was the case.

Man, this old Birth of a Nation film has some pretty good cinematography for the time! Good thing I can ignore everything else about it rather easilly

jviggy43

I'm not shocked, this is NeoGAF after all. Just saying the game looks interesting. It's different.

I like GTA V, it doesn't mean I can relate to a life of crime. I could go on.
Man these poor comparisons are tiring. Gta wasn't made by a group of criminals creating a story around denouncing the law and well being of society. This game is made by a gamergater pushing a gamergater narrative. That comparison is not at all close to what's happening with this game.

Except these aren't opinions but facts of the game the developers themselves have said are in the game so..

zenspider

I think you misunderstood my post. I apologize if I wasn't clear. I know the message of this game.

I'm pretty sure the creator has said he has since changed his views on those issues and that's not what his game is about. It could be back-pedalling, but people do grow and this game is a known quantity (to some) and I doubt MS would put a game about gamergate nonsense on stage.

That being said, the game looks fucking rad, and my opinions aren't so fragile that I can't be exposed to others' views. My book library has Ayn Rand, Dinesh D'Souza, and H.P. Lovecraft, Buddhist, Muslim and Christian texts, etc. why should my game library be any different?

I'd be interested to see if a compelling story could be told from that perspective, though I sincerely doubt it.

Man, this old Birth of a Nation film has some pretty good cinematography for the time! Good thing I can ignore everything else about it rather easilly

Between this and the "forbidden fruit" factor to this one good-looking game, I worry about the self-reflection ability in our fellow man. Like even to not SAY it if they're gonna, you know?

Note also how dozens in this quality bracket a month don't get this kind of push. We know his face. We know it's at risk. We don't know those others, ya know? Monkeysphere works, even when one of the monkeys are flinging shit everywhere.

Bossking

Banned
I'm pretty sure the creator has said he has since changed his views on those issues and that's not what his game is about. It could be back-pedalling, but people do grow and this game is a known quantity (to some) and I doubt MS would put a game about gamergate nonsense on stage.

That being said, the game looks fucking rad, and my opinions aren't so fragile that I can't be exposed to others' views. My book library has Ayn Rand, Dinesh D'Souza, and H.P. Lovecraft, Buddhist, Muslim and Christian texts, etc. why should my game library be any different?

I'd be interested to see if a compelling story could be told from that perspective, though I sincerely doubt it.

Just because he says it, doesn't mean he means it. Look at his twitter.

I don't know what you can hope to gain from such views as "feminists are ruining the world and totally bumming me out". Maybe if you read into it as a gamergater's wish-fulfillment self-insert piece, but as far as a thoughtful commentary on "progression run amok"? Fuck that.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Super stoked for this game!!!

Not too concerned about the creators remarks. Could be another Phil Fish for all I care. Great games are great games and that's why I come here :)

What Phil Fish said and what this dude said are on an entirely different level

Costia

So assuming this game will be pushing #GG agenda.
Is GAF still in favor of having (blatant) politics in video games?
Or does this only apply to good political opinions?

Bossking

Banned
So you can point out the parts of the game with screenshots and video evidence that support GG and anti-feminist ideologies then or are you under NDA?
/s

Give MS a little credit here, they wouldn't support such a game if that was the case.

I doubt MS had any idea. Like most of us at first, they probably just thought "ooh pretty pixel art game" and asked to show it. None of this info came to light until someone with knowledge of the guy brought up that he is, in fact, a shitter. Hell, we haven't seen a single line of dialogue, but judging from his tweets about the game's themes and message, we can make an educated guess.

MazeHaze

Banned
Politics are welcome in games. But if the politics are "women already have equal rights, feminism is bad for the world." Then I have no desire to play it, or support it, and will denounce it at every chance I get.

I know you think you're being smart here, but I don't group harassment of women and gender equality as end of the world under "political opinions".

Volphied

I think you're forgetting that gamergators assume that any presence of black people or women in videogames is politics

I doubt MS had any idea. Like most of us at first, they probably just thought "ooh pretty pixel art game" and asked to show it. None of this info came to light until someone with knowledge of the guy brought up that he is, in fact, a shitter. Hell, we haven't seen a single line of dialogue, but judging from his tweets about the game's themes and message, we can make an educated guess.

Maybe, I got an extended walkthrough of some scenes at E3 and there wasnt anything like that (or an NDA). They explained the theme of the game was about the future where we have become disconnected from reality due to our technology, as well as the earth being a eco wasteland because of global warming and massive rise in oceans. Its like cyber waterworld.

That said these guys ruined the game for me by being shitheads. Wish they weren't would have loved to play.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Not my type of game. Random question: Why are you obsessed with me?

I'm not obssessed with you. You're in a thread, discussing a game. Interaction between users is the core dynamic of a forum.

Also, you are using the same PSN username here as your account name in other sites. Same capitalization, same style of writing. It's fairly transparent what you're all about.

There, there. I'll leave you be, don't worry.

Costia

Politics are welcome in games. But if the politics are "women already have equal rights, feminism is bad for the world." Then I have no desire to play it, or support it, and will denounce it at every chance I get.
Sounds fair enough.
I assume this is what would happen in any case a game pushes a narrative the player doesn't agree with.

I know you think you're being smart here, but I don't group harassment of women and gender equality as end of the world under "political opinions".
Racism is a political opinion.
The KKK is legal in the USA.
Which is the reason for the question.
Basically something like freedom of speech in video games.

Ah shit, you got us. We did say politics belong in games, so now we have to support every political opinion. Guess now I have to go out and buy the steelbook day one edition of Super Hitler Did Nothing Wrong: UnCucked.
Oh my, so edgy.
Nice strawman there.

Bossking

Banned

Ah shit, you got us. We did say politics belong in games, so now we have to support every political opinion. Guess now I have to go out and buy the steelbook day one edition of Super Hitler Did Nothing Wrong: UnCucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom