• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zoe Quinn #meToo / Alec Holowka suicide -- Update: Article questions ZQ's account of events (link in OP)

KiNeMz

Banned
A new low from nitw creators

Comparing a video game character to an actual person

Happy Halloween, everyone (and the NITW reddit, you dirty spies). It’s been a rainy, pleasantly chilly autumn here. Given how often we’ve recently had hot humid Octobers, we are very very pleased. We’ve been very busy but we’ve managed to get out to some interesting remote places. In some future update I’ll show you some pics.

So it’s been a couple months since the last update, as is standard. It seems like several years. Many people have reached out to see how we were doing, but we’re the least vulnerable and affected people in the radius of this whole thing that happened. So I’ll keep this part very brief- we’re fine. It’s been hard. We’re still very sad and angry, not gonna lie. Not sure when that will pass. Can’t rush it. But we’re fine. Thanks for your support. Please continue to support all of the other people in this situation who were a lot closer to Alec, and the folks who will never get any closure now. It’s all the furthest thing from neat and uncomplicated. Sometimes that’s how things are and you have to do the best you can with that. But we’re fine, don’t give us another thought.

I’m going to talk a bit about Alec-related things, so if you’d rather not, please skip to after the second divider.

There isn’t a lot more for me to say in some big forum. And you didn’t back a kickstarter to watch us unpack our shit for months and years. And since we can only really speak for ourselves, we have to lay it to rest. We said what we needed to get out about Alec. It felt horrible, but for us and several other people something like that needed to be said. So you do the best you can. I hope that years of us talking publicly and here about his good qualities and how grateful we were to him for the contributions he made when he was actually engaged paints a complicated picture of the guy. Because people are complicated. But like I said, no one has some all-encompassing view of anyone, particularly in our situation. I will say that I think anyone’s take on the Alec they knew is valid. None of those snapshots are necessarily in conflict, just things taken from different angles. So if you’ve got great memories of the guy, by all means keep those memories. I have some, and I wish I had more. I wish there were more to go around in general. Some people had way better experiences than we did. Some people had only painful ones.

Aside from the next several paragraphs there’s not much more for us to say going forward about it. We’ll continue to deal with our end of it privately, as most everyone does. I do want to address one thing, though, a question we received several times in the past 2 months from fans of the game:

Wasn’t Alec just like Mae? Doesn’t your response go against the spirit of Night In The Woods? Do you not care about people with mental health issues?

I understand this question! It initially took me by surprise, since Mae was very much based on myself and Bethany and a couple other people we’ve known- Margaret, who was a grade ahead of me in high school (briefly, she was soon kicked out) and got into fights and was super cool, if very troubled. Amber, a friend of ours from a decade ago who angrily asked one day “why do we have to grow up???” as if it was an injustice. She played bass in a punk band. Both women were glorious dirtballs at the time, like a lot of people we love most. Mae’s dissociation issues were based on my own from childhood, as well as her depression stemming from both internal and external issues. I’d like to think I was a more mature and less pain-in-the-ass 20 year old but that’s probably wishful thinking. I did have the same cutoff jean shorts though. Art truly imitates life, and jorts.

But for a lot of people Mae is a broad symbol of mental health issues that interfere with life and relationships. And our rather blunt and unsentimental account of our difficult relationship with Alec might come off as in conflict with the story and themes of the game. But crucially the issue with Alec wasn’t that he had mental health and personality disorders. I’ve been pretty open about my own struggles, Bethany as well, and we’re surrounded by a great and wonderful host of people dealing with brains and learned behaviors and habits that don’t function as well as they should sometimes. The issue with Alec was power, and what he did with it.

Mae had a singular explosion of pretty extreme violence towards someone else when she was a child, and it scarred her (and him, most likely) and stopped her from growing up in a lot of ways. She wants to understand it and she knows the harm she did. And crucially, Mae doesn’t have power in any real sense, nor does she seek to gain and exert any over others. None of her friends rely on her for their livelihoods or security. Mae can’t hire or fire anyone, or put herself in the position where someone would have to endure whatever she threw at them in order to not have their lives upended. Mae had problems, but Mae didn’t do the things Alec did. For example- Night In The Woods, of all games, isn’t one that looks too kindly on bosses in general, let alone ones that make returning their romantic overtures a condition of employment. It isn’t one that looks kindly on people who abuse those with less power than them. Mae has very little power, and didn’t do the kinds of things Alec did. It would be a very different game if Mae was an abusive girlfriend, or boss, or someone with power over someone else. There’s a tooth floating around Night In The Woods that makes our stance on this kind of thing pretty clear.

Mae and Alec were alike in the sense that both had mental health problems, and Alec really connected with those aspects of Mae as he discovered them. But people with issues they didn’t ask for still do really shitty things. And while those issues can offer explanations for some of those shitty things, those things still are what they are. When we say we stand with abused people, and people with mental health issues (often the same people), we mean this. We stood by Alec during our time with him, partly out of real care and partly because he had the power to upend our lives. But we never stood by his actions, and we didn’t stand by them when the fuller scope of them became clear. Those things aren’t in conflict.

Mae and Alec were also different in that Alec had more options and help than just about any other person I’ve ever known who dealt with similar issues, and I have known a few. He had a whole lot of money, access to help and treatment, and a lot of folks around him who took it upon themselves to support him, giving him chance after chance for years, taking what he dished out, and eventually picking him back up again after he’d flame out. This isn’t meant to condemn Alec for being fortunate in having support, but just to say he was a guy who had more options and shielding than most people. More often people struggling with abuse, mental health problems, and personality disorders don’t have that, because they have no resources and no people around them and no way of avoiding very dire consequences. That’s something that desperately needs to change, but that is how it is at present. It’s certainly the reality we’re personally familiar with and it found its way into the game.

Mae has few resources with no access to good help for her mental health problems. Mae doesn’t have the financial means to solve or have much flexibility in regards to any of the big things happening to her and the people around her. And to be honest she is very young. We always refer to her as a young 20. But the age doesn’t matter so much. There’s plenty of hope for Mae. As far as I was concerned there was always hope for Alec, who was in his mid 30s and whose situation was about as different as could be from Mae’s. But Alec did what Alec did, right up to the end. It sucks. And it harmed a lot of people, not least of all himself. And it will continue doing so for a very long time.

I’m absolutely sure Alec did grow as a person and improve in some ways. He certainly seemed more stable and in control of some of his symptoms in recent years, at least as far as was visible to us. But the problems with Alec were his actions, often as someone with power over someone else. In that much more important sense, Mae and him were nothing alike. When NITW depicts that kind of power relationship, it’s not particularly subtle in its feelings on the matter.

One of the reasons I’ve since clarified Alec’s *huge* but more limited than publicly talked about role in NITW (initial enabler, coder with a whole lot of endurance, prolific composer, absolutely wild problem solver, sometimes pretty great collaborator) is that because we didn’t make all of that very clear up front, there are misconceptions about aspects of the game. And this is a game that has turned out to mean some very important and personal things to a lot of people, so this stuff turns out to actually matter. People think Mae was created or inspired in some way by Alec, and so what happened to him takes on some special resonance with her character, and therefore their own personal identification with her. But that isn’t the case, at least as far as our take on it goes.

Some folks have interpreted the song Die Anywhere Else as a personal cry for help, a foreshadowing for Alec’s death, when it was the product of a pretty fair amount of collaboration creatively. The title and much of the chorus, the treatment, etc- those came from others. We worked together. That’s one of so many examples. So how do you split that difference of who did what when you eventually need to because some bizarre and awful thing happened that colors the work itself, and therefore how people feel about what they’ve taken from it and its place in their lives? Alec did some amazing work on Die Anywhere Else! But others did just as much work on it. I was very bad at taking credit for things like that and thought that downplaying my own role in things that were more Alec’s realm would help him in his recovery. There are instances of this all over the game. And it didn’t really bother us too much, and until the past couple of months I never felt the need to clarify anything and it’s still very uncomfortable. Because we wanted to help. At the time I felt like it was for the greater good. In the end, it wasn’t. We tried our best to help Alec, because in some ways we had no choice, and because we also cared quite a bit about him even when he drove us literally to medical and psychiatric emergencies. He was a sweet guy and a complete terror. He did beautiful work and horrible things. As contradictory as that sounds, that’s not really all that uncommon to find. All you can do after the fact is try to tell the truth and hope it means something.

Like everything else in this situation, sometimes all of the options are bad, and beyond that they feel completely futile.

But to conclude where this started- Alec and Mae's situations aren't particularly similar once you get down to the very important details, at least as far as our view permitted. They never were meant to be alike. Alec discovered Mae much like anyone playing the game and connected with aspects of her, like many people did. NITW we hope demonstrates a great empathy for people (like us, who wrote it) who have brains and behaviors that can feel like they sabotage us, things that require a lot of attention, effort, and care to work with sometimes. Our problem with Alec was his actions, and the power dynamics involved. And NITW is I think pretty clear on where we land when it comes to that. I’d hope it is at least. Our intentions as creators don’t really matter much once the art leaves us and other people connect with it, but for what it’s worth those are our thoughts and experiences with Alec and with our favorite dirtball kid from around the corner, Mae Borowski. I sincerely think she’s on her way to something better. At the end of the game she’s in a place where she can perhaps go in that direction. After a song, and some pizza, and probably a good long sleep. There’s hope. There’s a future.

That’s my take, at least.

I don’t have much more to say about all of this. I can’t tell you how to feel about it, except to say that your experience with the game is yours, not ours. And we really and truly do appreciate that so many people have connected with the game, despite the circumstances of its creation. We appreciate that Alec’s contributions have meant so much to so many people. I hope good things continue to come from what we made. That’s something us and most certainly Alec himself would want. Do with that whatever feels best.

This guy needs to just stop. Stop.

The Alien

Banned
She seems to make more money off of complaining and drama than any actual game/job output.

(Of course disappearing Kickstarter money not included). 😘

Why the change? Before she was seemingly more consoling of Chelsea than her own brother.

It should be kept going as long as possible. The industry does not need to forget Alex's suicide and how they covered it up ("Alec died") and protected a person with a history of being a lying sociopath. Hell, she just faked another rape allegation against Max Landis before this that went from "He raped me!" to "Well, he was just an asshole when I met him, but it was like rape!". This albatross needs to hang around their neck as long as possible, and TBH I hope it torments some of them. I'm sure Chelsea doesn't care because she doesn't have emotions other than wanting attention, but maybe some of her allies will change.

Wait whats this about Landis? Are we talking about 'the' Landis?

Doomtrain

tl;dr for Scott Benson's newest word vomit:

"Alec had power*, so it's okay to dance on his grave."

*"Power" here means that Alec was doing most of the work on and financing the game.

Happy Halloween, everyone (and the NITW reddit, you dirty spies). It’s been a rainy, pleasantly chilly autumn here. Given how often we’ve recently had hot humid Octobers, we are very very pleased. We’ve been very busy but we’ve managed to get out to some interesting remote places. In some future update I’ll show you some pics.

So it’s been a couple months since the last update, as is standard. It seems like several years. Many people have reached out to see how we were doing, but we’re the least vulnerable and affected people in the radius of this whole thing that happened. So I’ll keep this part very brief- we’re fine. It’s been hard. We’re still very sad and angry, not gonna lie. Not sure when that will pass. Can’t rush it. But we’re fine. Thanks for your support. Please continue to support all of the other people in this situation who were a lot closer to Alec, and the folks who will never get any closure now. It’s all the furthest thing from neat and uncomplicated. Sometimes that’s how things are and you have to do the best you can with that. But we’re fine, don’t give us another thought.

I’m going to talk a bit about Alec-related things, so if you’d rather not, please skip to after the second divider.

There isn’t a lot more for me to say in some big forum. And you didn’t back a kickstarter to watch us unpack our shit for months and years. And since we can only really speak for ourselves, we have to lay it to rest. We said what we needed to get out about Alec. It felt horrible, but for us and several other people something like that needed to be said. So you do the best you can. I hope that years of us talking publicly and here about his good qualities and how grateful we were to him for the contributions he made when he was actually engaged paints a complicated picture of the guy. Because people are complicated. But like I said, no one has some all-encompassing view of anyone, particularly in our situation. I will say that I think anyone’s take on the Alec they knew is valid. None of those snapshots are necessarily in conflict, just things taken from different angles. So if you’ve got great memories of the guy, by all means keep those memories. I have some, and I wish I had more. I wish there were more to go around in general. Some people had way better experiences than we did. Some people had only painful ones.

Aside from the next several paragraphs there’s not much more for us to say going forward about it. We’ll continue to deal with our end of it privately, as most everyone does. I do want to address one thing, though, a question we received several times in the past 2 months from fans of the game:

Wasn’t Alec just like Mae? Doesn’t your response go against the spirit of Night In The Woods? Do you not care about people with mental health issues?

I understand this question! It initially took me by surprise, since Mae was very much based on myself and Bethany and a couple other people we’ve known- Margaret, who was a grade ahead of me in high school (briefly, she was soon kicked out) and got into fights and was super cool, if very troubled. Amber, a friend of ours from a decade ago who angrily asked one day “why do we have to grow up???” as if it was an injustice. She played bass in a punk band. Both women were glorious dirtballs at the time, like a lot of people we love most. Mae’s dissociation issues were based on my own from childhood, as well as her depression stemming from both internal and external issues. I’d like to think I was a more mature and less pain-in-the-ass 20 year old but that’s probably wishful thinking. I did have the same cutoff jean shorts though. Art truly imitates life, and jorts.

But for a lot of people Mae is a broad symbol of mental health issues that interfere with life and relationships. And our rather blunt and unsentimental account of our difficult relationship with Alec might come off as in conflict with the story and themes of the game. But crucially the issue with Alec wasn’t that he had mental health and personality disorders. I’ve been pretty open about my own struggles, Bethany as well, and we’re surrounded by a great and wonderful host of people dealing with brains and learned behaviors and habits that don’t function as well as they should sometimes. The issue with Alec was power, and what he did with it.

Mae had a singular explosion of pretty extreme violence towards someone else when she was a child, and it scarred her (and him, most likely) and stopped her from growing up in a lot of ways. She wants to understand it and she knows the harm she did. And crucially, Mae doesn’t have power in any real sense, nor does she seek to gain and exert any over others. None of her friends rely on her for their livelihoods or security. Mae can’t hire or fire anyone, or put herself in the position where someone would have to endure whatever she threw at them in order to not have their lives upended. Mae had problems, but Mae didn’t do the things Alec did. For example- Night In The Woods, of all games, isn’t one that looks too kindly on bosses in general, let alone ones that make returning their romantic overtures a condition of employment. It isn’t one that looks kindly on people who abuse those with less power than them. Mae has very little power, and didn’t do the kinds of things Alec did. It would be a very different game if Mae was an abusive girlfriend, or boss, or someone with power over someone else. There’s a tooth floating around Night In The Woods that makes our stance on this kind of thing pretty clear.

Mae and Alec were alike in the sense that both had mental health problems, and Alec really connected with those aspects of Mae as he discovered them. But people with issues they didn’t ask for still do really shitty things. And while those issues can offer explanations for some of those shitty things, those things still are what they are. When we say we stand with abused people, and people with mental health issues (often the same people), we mean this. We stood by Alec during our time with him, partly out of real care and partly because he had the power to upend our lives. But we never stood by his actions, and we didn’t stand by them when the fuller scope of them became clear. Those things aren’t in conflict.

Mae and Alec were also different in that Alec had more options and help than just about any other person I’ve ever known who dealt with similar issues, and I have known a few. He had a whole lot of money, access to help and treatment, and a lot of folks around him who took it upon themselves to support him, giving him chance after chance for years, taking what he dished out, and eventually picking him back up again after he’d flame out. This isn’t meant to condemn Alec for being fortunate in having support, but just to say he was a guy who had more options and shielding than most people. More often people struggling with abuse, mental health problems, and personality disorders don’t have that, because they have no resources and no people around them and no way of avoiding very dire consequences. That’s something that desperately needs to change, but that is how it is at present. It’s certainly the reality we’re personally familiar with and it found its way into the game.

Mae has few resources with no access to good help for her mental health problems. Mae doesn’t have the financial means to solve or have much flexibility in regards to any of the big things happening to her and the people around her. And to be honest she is very young. We always refer to her as a young 20. But the age doesn’t matter so much. There’s plenty of hope for Mae. As far as I was concerned there was always hope for Alec, who was in his mid 30s and whose situation was about as different as could be from Mae’s. But Alec did what Alec did, right up to the end. It sucks. And it harmed a lot of people, not least of all himself. And it will continue doing so for a very long time.

I’m absolutely sure Alec did grow as a person and improve in some ways. He certainly seemed more stable and in control of some of his symptoms in recent years, at least as far as was visible to us. But the problems with Alec were his actions, often as someone with power over someone else. In that much more important sense, Mae and him were nothing alike. When NITW depicts that kind of power relationship, it’s not particularly subtle in its feelings on the matter.

One of the reasons I’ve since clarified Alec’s *huge* but more limited than publicly talked about role in NITW (initial enabler, coder with a whole lot of endurance, prolific composer, absolutely wild problem solver, sometimes pretty great collaborator) is that because we didn’t make all of that very clear up front, there are misconceptions about aspects of the game. And this is a game that has turned out to mean some very important and personal things to a lot of people, so this stuff turns out to actually matter. People think Mae was created or inspired in some way by Alec, and so what happened to him takes on some special resonance with her character, and therefore their own personal identification with her. But that isn’t the case, at least as far as our take on it goes.

Some folks have interpreted the song Die Anywhere Else as a personal cry for help, a foreshadowing for Alec’s death, when it was the product of a pretty fair amount of collaboration creatively. The title and much of the chorus, the treatment, etc- those came from others. We worked together. That’s one of so many examples. So how do you split that difference of who did what when you eventually need to because some bizarre and awful thing happened that colors the work itself, and therefore how people feel about what they’ve taken from it and its place in their lives? Alec did some amazing work on Die Anywhere Else! But others did just as much work on it. I was very bad at taking credit for things like that and thought that downplaying my own role in things that were more Alec’s realm would help him in his recovery. There are instances of this all over the game. And it didn’t really bother us too much, and until the past couple of months I never felt the need to clarify anything and it’s still very uncomfortable. Because we wanted to help. At the time I felt like it was for the greater good. In the end, it wasn’t. We tried our best to help Alec, because in some ways we had no choice, and because we also cared quite a bit about him even when he drove us literally to medical and psychiatric emergencies. He was a sweet guy and a complete terror. He did beautiful work and horrible things. As contradictory as that sounds, that’s not really all that uncommon to find. All you can do after the fact is try to tell the truth and hope it means something.

Like everything else in this situation, sometimes all of the options are bad, and beyond that they feel completely futile.

But to conclude where this started- Alec and Mae's situations aren't particularly similar once you get down to the very important details, at least as far as our view permitted. They never were meant to be alike. Alec discovered Mae much like anyone playing the game and connected with aspects of her, like many people did. NITW we hope demonstrates a great empathy for people (like us, who wrote it) who have brains and behaviors that can feel like they sabotage us, things that require a lot of attention, effort, and care to work with sometimes. Our problem with Alec was his actions, and the power dynamics involved. And NITW is I think pretty clear on where we land when it comes to that. I’d hope it is at least. Our intentions as creators don’t really matter much once the art leaves us and other people connect with it, but for what it’s worth those are our thoughts and experiences with Alec and with our favorite dirtball kid from around the corner, Mae Borowski. I sincerely think she’s on her way to something better. At the end of the game she’s in a place where she can perhaps go in that direction. After a song, and some pizza, and probably a good long sleep. There’s hope. There’s a future.

I don’t have much more to say about all of this. I can’t tell you how to feel about it, except to say that your experience with the game is yours, not ours. And we really and truly do appreciate that so many people have connected with the game, despite the circumstances of its creation. We appreciate that Alec’s contributions have meant so much to so many people. I hope good things continue to come from what we made. That’s something us and most certainly Alec himself would want. Do with that whatever feels best.

How can someone spew so much shit from their mouth? Im not reading all of that garbage.

Last edited:

oUYwTPF.gif

Well thank god everybody, Mae (a fictional video game character) is gonna be alright. Happy Halloween Scott you utter fucking horror.

Saruhashi

Banned

Our intentions as creators don’t really matter much once the art leaves us and other people connect with it, but for what it’s worth those are our thoughts and experiences with Alec and with our favorite dirtball kid from around the corner, Mae Borowski. I sincerely think she’s on her way to something better. At the end of the game she’s in a place where she can perhaps go in that direction. After a song, and some pizza, and probably a good long sleep. There’s hope. There’s a future.

What an absolute fucking disgrace.

Surely, here, it is better to just shut the hell up and say nothing at all?
The dude is dead. Leave it be.

Why do they feel the need to downplay his involvement with the game?
Why the desire to underline and point out at every possible moment how much of a bad guy he was?

I mean, as far as I can tell, the guy never did anything illegal or even got charged with a crime here.

I could see the point if it was something like you had an uncle who murdered someone and was convicted and sent to prison but when he died the whole family was like "aw we will miss him so much he was a great guy" and you are thinking that he was a fucking murderer.

I've had some rocky times with some friends. Nothing abusive or extreme or criminal or anything like that. So when they pass on I would NEVER think to publicly get out there and say "weeeeellllll actually they weren't perfect, you know, one time they yelled at me and I was sad about that".

Just let it be.

Is it just the case that they literally can't handle the fact that their game is associated forever with Alec and the context of the game seems much "heavier" after all that has happened?

How fucked up do you have to be that you are willing to talk shit about a guy who killed himself ONLY for the purposes of stroking your own ego.

Is it any surprise that such a person comes out with shit like this:
"those are our thoughts and experiences with Alec and with our favorite dirtball kid from around the corner, Mae Borowski. I sincerely think she’s on her way to something better. At the end of the game she’s in a place where she can perhaps go in that direction. After a song, and some pizza, and probably a good long sleep."

Mae isn't a real person though.
This guy we worked with is dead but this fictional character we made up is going to be just fine. Oh and by the way he never made the character really that was mostly us oh and also did we mention that he was a bad guy?

Do these folks have some issue with separating fiction from real life? I just can't imagine someone saying to me "your friend and colleague committed suicide" and my reaction would be "well at least this fictional character I like will be OK".

How telling that these motherfuckers care SO MUCH about mental illness and talking about mental illness and never shutting the fuck up about mental illness but when push comes to shove they will throw a mentally ill guy who actually committed suicide under the bus for internet good boy points.

It's awful.

OMG! There was a game that had 41% discount! Don't you know that 41% of trans people commit suicide? Reeeeeeeee!
What's that? A developer on a game we like killed himself?
He was basically bullied to death? One of the things we claim to care so much about?
Yeah, but is it REALLY a bad thing though?
THIS GAME HAS WOMEN IN BIKINIS REEEEEEEEEEE!
POKEMON HAS ONLY TWO GENDER OPTIONS REEEEEEE!
I mean wasn't he a bad guy anyway and was he ever really THAT important to the game?
At least the main character in the game will be OK...

These are not nice people.

Kitbash

One of the reasons I’ve since clarified Alec’s *huge* but more limited than publicly talked about role in NITW (initial enabler, coder with a whole lot of endurance, prolific composer, absolutely wild problem solver, sometimes pretty great collaborator) is that because we didn’t make all of that very clear up front, there are misconceptions about aspects of the game.

[snip]

Some folks have interpreted the song Die Anywhere Else as a personal cry for help, a foreshadowing for Alec’s death, when it was the product of a pretty fair amount of collaboration creatively. The title and much of the chorus, the treatment, etc- those came from others. We worked together.

[snip]

Alec did some amazing work on Die Anywhere Else! But others did just as much work on it. I was very bad at taking credit for things like that and thought that downplaying my own role in things that were more Alec’s realm would help him in his recovery. There are instances of this all over the game.

[snip]

We appreciate that Alec’s contributions have meant so much to so many people. I hope good things continue to come from what we made. That’s something us and most certainly Alec himself would want.

Every post this guy has made since Alec's death sounds like he's trying to justify his ownership of the NITW IP. "Oh, Alec wasn't as involved as you thought," "Oh, I let him take credit for this part but actually I'm the one that did the work," "Oh, the game is coming out on the Switch in February and Alec would want us to make a sweet pile of cash out of that..."

He's shameless. He was incredibly jealous of Alec's wealth and this has been the best outcome for his own bank account -- assuming no one from Alec's family comes after their share.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Every post this guy has made since Alec's death sounds like he's trying to justify his ownership of the NITW IP. "Oh, Alec wasn't as involved as you thought," "Oh, I let him take credit for this part but actually I'm the one that did the work," "Oh, the game is coming out on the Switch in February and Alec would want us to make a sweet pile of cash out of that..."

He's shameless. He was incredibly jealous of Alec's wealth and this has been the best outcome for his own bank account -- assuming no one from Alec's family comes after their share.
Despite how much a waste of time Alec’s sister seems, if there’s money involved, watch her change.

ExpandKong

Banned

herewegoagain.gif
:evilsmile:

Hey leave poor Chelsea alone. Haven’t you heard? She was raped at every single actual job she ever had, and when she finally moved on to independent game development she was raped by everybody there too, which is the reason she’s only ever made one text-based game.

Funny how she managed to forgive all those rapists though but felt she had no choice but to name and shame the guy she could use as a stepping stool (or was it a broken stair?) in the game dev world. Better not ask her about why that is though or she just might kill herself for real this time guys she’ll do it she swears.

From everything we've heard, Alec was the only person actually focused on healing and making themselves a better person. And he was succeeding, until the "thot process" decided to score some points in gaming's big metoo moment and sent him over the edge. She let the internet tear the guy apart over shit he wasn't even guilty of for sympathy.

The fucking balls to even tweet that. What a bitch.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

From everything we've heard, Alec was the only person actually focused on healing and making themselves a better person. And he was succeeding, until the "thot process" decided to score some points in gaming's big metoo moment and sent him over the edge. She let the internet tear the guy apart over shit he wasn't even guilty of for sympathy.

The fucking balls to even tweet that. What a bitch.

I mean she has literally no self-awareness whatsoever does she.

Doczu

Oh, did her patreon start dying off so quick or is she itching for some more dopamine rush and publicity?

I'd say fuck her, but you know ho them people.would understand that.

FrostyJ93

How about another joke zoe? Wait I'm looking at one.

Seriously she has to be the most unlikeable woman I've ever seen

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
No one wants her to die, they just want her to admit she pushed someone to the edge. Holyshit. Just admit it, everyone brushing it under the rug is cringy. A man is dead. Even if he did abuse you, he can never repent or say sorry and make up for it because you dragged him out. Awful, awful human.

Jsisto

As much as I think she's just not a good person and without a doubt the way in which she publicly shamed Alec led to his suicide....at this point people need to just lay off her. There's nothing to be gained. People have made up their mind about her one way or the other and harassing her over social media accomplishes nothing. She's not going to admit she did anything wrong(i suspect many would not even be satisfied with that) and it's only causing suffering to another human being, and for me atleast that's not cool, as much as I may not like her. For her part, the best thing she could do is just get off social media. Its not that damn hard. You don't need to have a twitter to be a functioning member of society. She's doing it to herself at this point.

Last edited:

Enjay

Banned
As much as I think she's just not a good person and without a doubt the way in which she publicly shamed Alec led to his suicide....at this point people need to just lay off her. There's nothing to be gained. People have made up their mind about her one way or the other and harassing her over social media accomplishes nothing. She's not going to admit she did anything wrong and it's only causing suffering to another human being, and for me atleast that's not cool, as much as I may not like her. For her part, the best thing she could do is just get off social media. Its not that damn hard. You don't need to have a twitter to be a functioning member of society. She's doing it to herself at this point.
Thanks for letting us know how above everything you are 👍. Alec would've appreciated someone like you.

Jsisto

Thanks for letting us know how above everything you are 👍. Alec would've appreciated someone like you.
I'm sorry, but I don't get my rocks off attacking people on twitter. I think Zoe Quinn is a narcissistic, manipulative person, but again, what is there to be gained from attacking her at this point? I'm really curious. Alec is dead, attacking her further at this point won't change things. Frankly I think it's a little unhealthy that people are still obsessing over this. I'm not above shit. I'm just giving my thoughts. That's totally fine if you don't agree.

bigedole

As much as I think she's just not a good person and without a doubt the way in which she publicly shamed Alec led to his suicide....at this point people need to just lay off her. There's nothing to be gained. People have made up their mind about her one way or the other and harassing her over social media accomplishes nothing. She's not going to admit she did anything wrong(i suspect many would not even be satisfied with that) and it's only causing suffering to another human being, and for me atleast that's not cool, as much as I may not like her. For her part, the best thing she could do is just get off social media. Its not that damn hard. You don't need to have a twitter to be a functioning member of society. She's doing it to herself at this point.

She absolutely deserves to be harassed. What are you even on about? She fabricated attention for herself at the expense of another human being. Even if her doing this hadn't pushed him over the edge towards such an unfortunate end, she would still be deserving of our collective derision and public shaming. Not only does she show zero remorse, she tries to use it as more victim ammunition. You don't just nod along or shrug to people who act this way. You tell them they're an asshole every time they stick their head out into the public forum.

Jsisto

[/QUOTE]
She absolutely deserves to be harassed. What are you even on about? She fabricated attention for herself at the expense of another human being. Even if her doing this hadn't pushed him over the edge towards such an unfortunate end, she would still be deserving of our collective derision and public shaming. Not only does she show zero remorse, she tries to use it as more victim ammunition. You don't just nod along or shrug to people who act this way. You tell them they're an asshole every time they stick their head out into the public forum.
[/QUOTE]
What do we see as the end result of harassing her though? Look I agree she's a shit person but when you're set in your ways like that I don't see how it does anything other than give her validation of her worldview. I think she enjoys it in some way at this point, honestly.

Last edited:

autoduelist

I haven't even been paying attention to this thread and this letter pisses me off. What an utter shit head. Walking all over the corpse of a coworker, belittling said coworkers input, taking credit for work, coding, songs...

Gross.

raduque

You don't need to have a twitter to be a functioning member of society.
As much as this is true for about 98% of the population, people like ZQ, literally live and die by what blue checks on Twitter have to say. She couldn't function without Twitter any more than she could function without her head, at this point.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
As much as this is true for about 98% of the population, people like ZQ, literally live and die by what blue checks on Twitter have to say. She couldn't function without Twitter any more than she could function without her head, at this point.

You made his point.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Scott Benson said:
But Alec did what Alec did, right up to the end.
This directly contradicts what he's said before, that Alec had been getting treatment and getting better.

This also seems to be blaming him solely for the suicide.

Scott Benson said:
Mae and Alec were also different in that Alec had more options and help than just about any other person I’ve ever known who dealt with similar issues, and I have known a few. He had a whole lot of money, access to help and treatment, and a lot of folks around him who took it upon themselves to support him, giving him chance after chance for years, taking what he dished out, and eventually picking him back up again after he’d flame out.

Anyone that knows about dealing with Mental Illness knows that it affects all walks of life. Scott Benson himself mentions that Alec had been getting professional help in recent years, but goes on to blame him for not being able to fix his issues unlike the character Mae in NitW.

Scott Benson's own writings do not give a charitable view of Scott Benson. It's hard to gauge how poorly Alec behaved when he was apparently surrounded by an insufferable person.

Last edited:
Top Bottom